• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
California
Notifications on Android is 1 of the biggest reasons why I can't adapt to iOS, no matter how many iPhones I get. I have many apps that I use and I get a ton of notifications, in which Android just has more options available to me that helps with the onslaught, as well as ways to dismiss them.
Yep, I have an iPhone for work and a Note 8 as my daily driver, and I cannot stand the notification system on Apple's kit. It's absolutely trash.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just another reason why I wish the cell phone manufacturers would get their shit together when it comes to Android phones and updates. I would switch to an Android phone today if I got brand new OS versions day one like the Pixel devices do. The problem is that I'm on AT&T and they do not carry Pixel devices and I'm not the biggest fan of that device's design either.
Go with a company that updates often then. Sony, Google, xiaomi, essential phone etc. Just look at the people who have the Android P beta right now.

But these notifications have been pretty standard for a while so...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
All I want at this point is a friggin button to remove ALL messages. Woah does it drive me crazy that I have to press the x button multiple times to remove them

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
iOS 9 (2015):
IMG-0185.PNG.jpg

6-ios-notification-center-tips-swipe-a-notification-to-take-action_4-100673728-orig.jpg

ios-9-facebook-messenger-quick-reply-feature.jpg
Yeah my bad about the other two things but notifications are not grouped in the latest version of iOS. At least not in a sensible manner like Android does.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just another reason why I wish the cell phone manufacturers would get their shit together when it comes to Android phones and updates. I would switch to an Android phone today if I got brand new OS versions day one like the Pixel devices do. The problem is that I'm on AT&T and they do not carry Pixel devices and I'm not the biggest fan of that device's design either.
Companies like Huawei and Samsung don't need to update "on time" because said updates provide nothing new. Android Oreo features have been in Samsung's fork since Lollipop it seems like. With those brands, Google is playing catch up and the only updates you really should be focusing on are security updates, which they generally provide every month or two.

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about notifications on Android is that I can turn the damn things off. Outside of notifications about new texts and needing to update an app or the os itself I can't stand apps notifying me of things. It's really distracting and if I let everything do notifications I'd have like a hundred a day.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
This is the truth right here. I'm borrowing an iPad at the moment and the notification system is such obnoxious trash that I've had to disable it. I've never had an issue with notifications on Android (outside of that boneheaded persistent background apps one in Oreo, which they're getting rid of in P).

Notifications on iOS are awful no matter what device you're using, but they somehow managed to make them even worse on the iPad. I honestly can't believe that they still don't have any way of clearing all notifications on devices without 3D touch--it's fucking farcical that this problem ever existed in the first place, and the fact that it's gone on for years without any sign of improvement genuinely defies belief.

One thing I will say about Android notifications, though, is that I really miss the old 'ticker' style they used to use in place of drop-downs. I hate drop-down notifications - they get in the way - and found the ticker to be a much more elegant solution to the problem. Still got no idea why they dumped it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Waaaaaaat? You can clear them force touching? How the fuck am I supposed to find this out by myself?
Thanks! That's wonderful news

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've never had a problem either, but I've never used an Android device so I don't know the difference anyway.
The main difference is that iOS notifications popup and interrupt whatever you're doing. Calls, texts, etc. Or they pop up on the top and block information up top - say for instance the next turn or other information when GPS navigation is running. Whereas Android will let you keep doing what you're doing without blocking any on-screen information until you explicitly choose to acknowledge the notification/call/text/etc.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The main difference is that iOS notifications popup and interrupt whatever you're doing. Calls, texts, etc. Or they pop up on the top and block information up top - say for instance the next turn or other information when GPS navigation is running. Whereas Android will let you keep doing what you're doing without blocking any on-screen information until you explicitly choose to acknowledge the notification/call/text/etc.

The little drawer notification that pops up at the top of the screen goes away after three seconds or so though.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The little drawer notification that pops up at the top of the screen goes away after three seconds or so though.
Doesn't matter. Should not interrupt anything for any amount of seconds. And again, that's not a good design when that happens while in GPS navigation. There are still other issues, though, like when phone calls take over the entire screen.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brand new OS versions with old features like Android P will finally have a chime when you start charging like OEMs had in Froyo?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah my bad about the other two things but notifications are not grouped in the latest version of iOS. At least not in a sensible manner like Android does.

Yeah, Apple removed grouping in iOS 10 when they implemented the ugly bubbles. Terrible regression.

I already addressed the "temporary" banners that come down from the top. Again, it's still a bad design and that massive screenshot doesn't solve anything. The Android notification system is far superior, more customizable, and less intrusive. And I say that as a current iPhone user.

You can turn off the banners entirely, as illustrated in the screenshot. No interruptions.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, Apple removed grouping in iOS 10 when they implemented the ugly bubbles. Terrible regression.

You can turn off the banners entirely, as illustrated in the screenshot. No interruptions.
Is that app level or systemwide? And with no banner, do you still see the notification when anywhere but the home screen? The point with Android is you can see the notification while in a different app with no interruption. It's a far superior solution.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Is that app level or systemwide? And with no banner, do you still see the notification when anywhere but the home screen? The point with Android is you can see the notification while in a different app with no interruption. It's a far superior solution.
It's app-level. You can disable the banner. You'll see the notification in, say, badge icon format. And it should be on the lock screen too.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

App level. You can choose to have the notifications still show up in the notification history, as badges on the homescreen, and/or lockscreen.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd be perfectly happy with two options:

1) Sort by app (With the ability to prioritize them)
2) Group notifications, compress latest 3 into single balloon with a "XX More..." expansion button

But still separate them by day.

I'm just glad sounds, vibration, display type and display location can all be turned on or off on a per-app basis. I just wish apps could have multiple groups of settings for different notification types. For instance, Twitter, FaceBook and other social media apps all have at least half a dozen different kinds of notifications. Twitter alone has replies to tweets, direct messages, someone followed you, someone liked a tweet, someone retweeted a tweet, a bunch of people all liked or retweeted a tweet from someone else, among many more. Let the Twitter app have different settings for each of these kinds of notifications so I can disable notifications of that type if I want. Like if I don't care about if a bunch of people I follow interacted with someone else I may or my not follow. Or I just want no sounds from DMs.

Or an app like FaceBook Messenger which totally needs custom ringtones on a per user basis. People in my Contacts can have individual text tones. But it's like the only app where I can change that on a per user basis and have it stick. Let the Messages app integrate itself like that with the ability to change the tone and vibration for each person. (Or turn individual ones off if you want)

Basically give devs more access to notification control.