• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
President Donald Trump's former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, held multiple meetings with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange around the time that Manafort was brought on to run Trump's campaign, according to The Guardian. Assange has vehemently opposed the integrity of the report, calling for the editor of paper's head.

Allegedly, the meetings occurred in 2013, 2015, and March 2016 at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London where Assange has taken asylum for the past few years. The last meeting reportedly took place months after Assange released thousands of hacked emails belonging to Democratic National Convention officials that were acquired by Russian intelligence officers. Manafort has repeatedly denied his involvement with DNC email hack, but this revelation could come under scrutiny by special counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation into Russian collusion in the 2016 presidential election.

An internal document from Ecuador's intelligence agency identifies Manafort as one of the embassy's "well-known guests," also mentioning "Russians."

Moments after the report was released, the WikiLeaks Twitter account called out The Guardian, claiming that the report was false. "Remember this day when the Guardian permitted a serial fabricator to totally destroy the paper's reputation," the tweet read. "Wikileaks is willing to bet the Guardian a million dollars and its editor's head that Manafort never met Assange." Manafort's defense team has yet to make a statement regarding the report.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/27/18114380/wikileaks-trump-julian-assange-decapitation-manafort

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
What the fuck at that title OP

Why not just make a thread about the original guardian article?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're taking Wikileak's saber rattling a little too literally

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Verge is taking the "calling for __'s head" thing a bit too literally here.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
'Calling for someone's head' is a well-known phrase and not a literal call for decapitation...

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean they literally want the editor's head.

It means that want the editor to be fired as punishment.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The tweet really does make it sound strange. Obviously most people have heard of like the public or crowd calling for someone's head, but I've genuinely never heard it used in this way, betting someone their head. It really does seem deliberately and bizarrely ominous.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
WL tweet does not even make sense!
Either they know and they deny it but this is like a 3rd party arguing from the outside.
It's like they don't even know.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
@OP, it might be worth adding something like this because if people like me don't click through, they won't realize it was The Verge getting their best Buzzfeed headline on.

2018-11-2709_20_21-judjcwd.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
why is this worthy of a new thread?
If you read beyond the headline, the story itself is that Wikileaks is flat-out denying that Assange met with Manafort, and even goes as far as to claim it'll be proven false (or well, that they'd bet a lot of money on it). It's a new development on the Assange/Manafort story that the Guardian broke.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Either way, asking/betting/referencing a journalist's head just seems an....awful choice of words given recent events.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you read beyond the headline, the story itself is that Wikileaks is flat-out denying that Assange met with Manafort, and even goes as far as to claim it'll be proven false (or well, that they'd bet a lot of money on it). It's a new development on the Assange/Manafort story that the Guardian broke.
there's a two page, two hour old topic that covers everything contained in this article, including the tweet the headline is sourced from. is ERAs attention span really so brief that this warrants an entirely new topic detailing Verge's hot take?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not like they'll actually ever pay it.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what are Wikileaks betting on their side here? I doubt they have a million bucks lying around (Unless daddy Putin lends it to them) and I also doubt they're willing to fire Assange.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The Verge is taking the "calling for __'s head" thing a bit too literally here.
Yeah.

Calling for a bosses head means getting them fired in the UK, not killed.

It's taken from the more gruesome meaning but I don't think that's the case here.

Either way, I don't think the Cardigan would be running this story without receipts so good luck with the bet Assange.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

Respectfully, poorly written headlines like these, and the knee jerk reaction posting of this stuff as a thread take the entire idea of a meaningful discussion to task. It's not for me to moderate, but the quality of threads, and their poor/misleading titles are a detriment to what we could and should be doing. It reflects on this board as a whole when we don't outright lock clickbait, uninformed threads with titles like these and wait for factual, not 'literal' interpretations of stories.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking christ, they could get their point across without intentionally misinterpreting what was said. A non-sensationalist headline would play far better.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh Verge cmon man

Dont be that guy

Everyone knows "i want his head" in that context means "this guy needs to lose hid job/credentials"

Either way is there any chance the Guardian article got it wrong?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
"Father calls for the fracturing of his daughter's tibia before her big ballet recital."

Status
Not open for further replies.