• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cool, just seen that. Don't really care what's more powerful honestly. I'm happy the way games are looking already. Will be getting both anyways. I just hope they don't launch the same month. Gonna hurt my wallet.

I bet they're going to launch a week or two from each other. :p

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I thought it was obvious, but then some insiders were saying the PS5 was gonna have a slight advantage. Where they at?

Phil Spencer never said the Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5, he said competitive. And from what Kleegamefan told us the difference is comparable to Xbox One and Xbox One S nothing fancy maybe 5 to 7% advantage. A game can run at 30 fps on Scarlett will run at 31 fps on PS5. The difference between the two consoles will be a maximum of 1 or 2 frame per second at the same resolution. lol

This is cool they perform similarly.

EDIT: If someone chooses a console because the framerate is 1 fps better I begin to find this strange. The battle will be on games and service. I prefer PS games from my side but I think Microsoft has better services. I think Sony need to create a download only services. Having the PSNow tying download and streaming services is an error and at the speed they deploy the services they will never been able to be worldwide before a long time.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool, just seen that. Don't really care what's more powerful honestly. I'm happy the way games are looking already. Will be getting both anyways. I just hope they don't launch the same month. Gonna hurt my wallet.
By one at launch, by the other during the next gen for cheap at a bargain bin at some undisclosed flea market.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The subscription company is just gonna throw away millions of dollars a year because? They might as well just give out the hardware for free and lose billions. They can't even be bothered to make F2P games free online.
Same reason they are offering hundreds of new and old games + different subs for like 3-4 other services from third parties for $1?

Clearly they want more and more people to come to Xbox even if it means that they lose money initially. Having free online for next gen will give them a huge boost compared to Sony. If they get tens of millions of people buying more next-gen Xbox, they can sell more software and services to a much larger audience down the line.

Which one is better? 20 million people giving you $15 monthly for an Ultimate sub, or 40 million people giving you $10 monthly just for Game Pass?

Ofc, these numbers are completely hypothetical and like I said, I don't see either Xbox or Sony doing this tbh. Just saying that you can have a lucrative sub service as a market leader even without paid online play if your services are priced right and you have the audience.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Same reason they are offering hundreds of new and old games + different subs for like 3-4 other services from third parties for like $1?

Clearly they want more and more people to come to Xbox even if it means that they lose money initially. Having free online for next gen will give them a huge boost compared to Sony. If they get tens of millions of people buying more next-gen Xbox, they can sell more software and services to a much larger audience down the line.

Which one is better? 20 million people giving you $15 monthly for an Ultimate sub, or 40 million people giving you $10 monthly just for Game Pass?

Ofc, these numbers are completely hypothetical and like I said, I don't see either Xbox or Sony doing this tbh. Just saying that you can have a lucrative sub service as a market leader even without paid online play if your services are priced right and you have the audience.
When you are trying to move as much of your business as possible to subscription, it doesn't make much sense to kill by far your most successful subscription service.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And while yes, Microsoft is definitely interested in pushing consoles into living rooms, Spencer is also ensuring that other potential customers are covered, too. Like, I'm in a situation with a decent enough PC that I don't know if I need a Scarlett, because I know that I'll (likely) be able to play the exclusives on release day with game pass ultimate. They're OK with that. This is why the console install base is going to just be one, and not THE, metric next generation.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Scarlett is less powerful, it wont be by much, and I dont think it would even be noticeable for the most part. Price will be the big ? going forward.

"Do we want to do another gen" is definitely not something Sony or Nintendo would ask though, that is off-putting

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen going to be something else. MS are going to come out swinging this time. Even if I go sony again I'm getting gamepass/xcloud or just buy their shit on steam. They going to get my money sonehow. Smart moves imo.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
And while yes, Microsoft is definitely interested in pushing consoles into living rooms, Spencer is also ensuring that other potential customers are covered, too. Like, I'm in a situation with a decent enough PC that I don't know if I need a Scarlett, because I know that I'll (likely) be able to play the exclusives on release day with game pass ultimate. They're OK with that. This is why the console install base is going to just be one, and not THE, metric next generation.

Same here. Giving me the opportunity to play their titles on PC just makes the decision to go PC exclusive that much easier.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
My guess is either $499 or $599 for price. Either way, it seems challenging to hit that low price point and still get the console to be powerful.

Microsoft might be taking a loss or making next to nothing if they go lower.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Even if Scarlett is less powerful, it wont be by much, and I dont think it would even be noticeable for the most part. Price will be the big ? going forward.

"Do we want to do another gen" is definitely not something Sony or Nintendo would ask though, that is off-putting
Agree with this. Hey..at least he agrees that there are generations. So that talking point can die now if it hasn't. 'No more generations'

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm kinda excited to see, which console will be stronger, just cause i'm thinking to myself, can microsoft allow themself to be weaker (even if its just 5%) another gen? But they are doing a great job with GamePass, and xCloud also sounds very good. 2020 gonna be very exciting, bring it on!

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm kinda excited to see, which console will be stronger, just cause i'm thinking to myself, can microsoft allow themself to be weaker (even if its just 5%) another gen? But they are doing a great job with GamePass, and xCloud also sounds very good. 2020 gonna be very exciting, bring it on!

I don't think MS can afford to allow Xbox to be weaker, even if by a very small margin. Even if it's a 1% disadvantage to PS5 it will be a PR disaster for Xbox...again. I think Phil is well aware of this and isn't going to let it happen.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
He's lying about the multiple generation thing. This is the last consumer console they're going to make, 100%.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't think MS can afford to allow Xbox to be weaker, even if by a very small margin. Even if it's a 1% disadvantage to PS5 it will be a PR disaster for Xbox...again. I think Phil is well aware of this and isn't going to let it happen.

Yeah, that's what i'm also thinking. The press and the fans would eat them up.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
It's nice to hear him say it, but these words mean 100% absolutely nothing.

Last generation Microsoft spent years both before and after launch telling us that the original XBox One was more powerful than the PS4. And it wasn't. By any stretch it wasn't.

Yet they had FUD spreaders like Albert Pinello or whatever his name was clog up threads, scoffing at anyone that would dare suggest that Microsoft could be out-engineered by Sony, throwing a bunch of technical misinformation that meant jack shit once you put PS4 and XB1 multiplatforms side by side.

Again, I wouldn't expect Spencer not to say these things, and I'm definitely anticipating Scarlett more than I was the XB1, but these words are hollow.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's not up to Phil to decide that. He's not in the hardware race alone.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to hear him say it, but these words mean 100% absolutely nothing.

Last generation Microsoft spent years both before and after launch telling us that the original XBox One was more powerful than the PS4. And it wasn't. By any stretch it wasn't.

Yet they had FUD spreaders like Albert Pinello or whatever his name was clog up threads, scoffing at anyone that would dare suggest that Microsoft could be out-engineered by Sony, throwing a bunch of technical misinformation that meant jack shit once you put PS4 and XB1 multiplatforms side by side.

Again, I wouldn't expect Spencer not to say these things, and I'm definitely anticipating Scarlett more than I was the XB1, but these words are hollow.
How are they hallow in a world where the One X exists? Why don't you factor that in?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's nice we don't have to hear everyone focused on console power battles anymore if they are equal.