• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That is your problem then, but telling the studio as a lot to prove is some statement, im sure that made sense in your head.

Well...why would i speak from your perspective? I'm fully aware it's my problem. I'm not judging naughty dog based off you or anyone else's experience. I'm also not pretending my opinion has any real weight.

And yes...telling you i didn't enjoy uncharted 4 that much makes sense in my head.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The day they release TLOU2, HZD, Spiderman, and all other singleplayer AAA first-party Sony level of quality I can switch. Cross-platform I don't care, Xcloud, PSNow or Stadia I don't care. Elite Controller I don't care about it. The games, the games, and the games. The day people will understand the games some people want to play aren't on Gamepass or arrive very late like The Witcher 3.

This is my position as well. I think MS makes better hardware/services, but the games I want to play are with Sony. Out of everything I saw today the only game that did anything for me was Ever of the Wild. It's just that simple

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So they wont be weaker and cost more this time..... like they were in 2013.... sounds crazy

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't expect them to, but at the same time neither will Sony.

Ultimately, I still maintain that both will be the same price and the power difference will be negligible -- no more than 5-10% difference max.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1% would just mean if a single person said something it would result in literally every person saying the more reasonable thing of "you really think 1% actually matters dude? You'd never see that kind of difference" and everyone outside of a few sad fanboys will upvote those responses to high heaven every time.

People keep misunderstanding what I'm saying. I fully understand that a small power difference isn't going to make any noticeable difference in performance between Scarlett & PS5.

The point I was trying to make is that if the PS5 has any power advantage over Scarlett, even as small as 1% ...it will be overblown by fanboys and media and become another PR problem for MS.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So nothing changes with this interview.

They're still ballpark close to PS5, and they'll be around the same price.

They didn't firmly state more powerful, so the status quo remains.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All they have to do is let Sony go first. That's where the strategy is going to come in. Both of them have said they will launch 2020. Can one of them afford to wait 3 months and launch cheaper and more powerful in Q1 2021? Like if MS were to wait and let Sony announce their price, specs and date in Feb 2020 launching in November, but MS doesn't say a thing until E3 and then show off more powerful hardware for $50 less launching Feb 2021 (or vice versa).

Does that hurt or help MS in this situation? Does price/specs matter more, or first to market? 2020 is going to get weird.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
People keep misunderstanding what I'm saying. I fully understand that a small power difference isn't going to make any noticeable difference in performance between Scarlett & PS5.

The point I was trying to make is that if the PS5 has any power advantage over Scarlett, even as small as 1% ...it will be overblown by fanboys and media and become another PR problem for MS.

I don't think you're responding the responses. I sincerely disagree. It would need to be on the order of at least a 10% difference for anyone to say anything.

You're only taking into account what a lot of dumb people will kneejerk say. You're forgetting a myriad of instances where "well actually" people can outnumber those people and quash that sort of thing before it even gets started. I think this will prove to be such an instance.

I don't think it will be a PR problem if it is that significant. I think you can bet on that.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I don't think you're responding the responses. I sincerely disagree. It would need to be on the order of at least a 10% difference for anyone to say anything.

You're only taking into account what a lot of dumb people will kneejerk say. You're forgetting a myriad of instances where "well actually" people can outnumber those people and quash that sort of thing before it even gets started. I think this will prove to be such an instance.

I don't think it will be a PR problem if it is that significant. I think you can bet on that.

You could very well be right. I just never underestimate how stupid the internet can be and I think it's in MS's best interest not to take the chance and assume people will be reasonable and kind.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I will be really surprised if it's not close to a wash power-wise between the PS5 and Scarlet. They're both using AMD tech, and they're not going to repeat MS's mistakes.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhhh feels like 2013 in here. So damn excited for next gen. Already putting money away to buy both at launch RIP wallet.

Feb 10, 2018
They delivered with the 1x I think they will deliver again with scarlett, the question is will ps5 deliver more.

I don't think neither platform will mess up like the x1 + ps3 did.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
All they have to do is let Sony go first. That's where the strategy is going to come in. Both of them have said they will launch 2020. Can one of them afford to wait 3 months and launch cheaper and more powerful in Q1 2021? Like if MS were to wait and let Sony announce their price, specs and date in Feb 2020 launching in November, but MS doesn't say a thing until E3 and then show off more powerful hardware for $50 less launching Feb 2021 (or vice versa).

Does that hurt or help MS in this situation? Does price/specs matter more, or first to market? 2020 is going to get weird.
That's not how things work. Neither of them can wait for the other to reveal anything, these decisions needs to be made way in advance.

Shade Vortex

Oct 28, 2017
USA, WA.
Also, console hardware specifications are decided quite a bit in advance. That's partly why (besides price point/cost management) consoles have older hardware than what's on the market around the time the console releases.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's not how things work. Neither of them can wait for the other to reveal anything, these decisions needs to be made way in advance.

One of them is going to have to show their hand first. MS fucked up big going first last time. I dont see them repeating any of their mistakes from XB1 launch.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It doesn't matter who goes first, no one can make the kind of changes you are talking about in that amount of time.

The call it Q2 then. My point is one of them could take a wait and see approach. Even if it's not a huge hardware upgrade, or a huge price drop. Even if MS announces the day after Sony does, it is time enough to react.

I really believe part of Spencer's strategy with Xbox is agility whereas Mattrick was more of a "set the course and stick to it" kind of guy. And again my question was more what matters more, being first to market or price/power? Just hypothetically?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The call it Q2 then. My point is one of them could take a wait and see approach. Even if it's not a huge hardware upgrade, or a huge price drop. Even if MS announces the day after Sony does, it is time enough to react.

I really believe part of Spencer's strategy with Xbox is agility whereas Mattrick was more of a "set the course and stick to it" kind of guy. And again my question was more what matters more, being first to market or price/power? Just hypothetically?
The amount of money wasted by not launching at their planed time would be astronomical, as would be the costs of redoing designs.

Your hypothetical is not a possibility.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Rumors are both systems are very close in power. If that's the case Sony better start beefing up PSNOW because GamePass just threw a Haymaker
Lol Sony does not have to worry about a subscription service will they have exclusives that people actually want to play. Also PSNOW has vastly more games that GP so it's Microsoft that needs to start beefing up.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of money wasted by not launching at their planed time would be astronomical, as would be the costs of redoing designs.

Your hypothetical is not a possibility.

Lol come on, don't you know Xbox has access to Microsoft's bottomless warchest they can spend all of it if they want to

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Lol Sony does not have to worry about a subscription service will they have exclusives that people actually want to play. Also PSNOW has vastly more games that GP so it's Microsoft that needs to start beefing up.

Sorry but Sony offers no incentive for users to keep subscribing to PS Now. Keeping their games for only 3 months is not enough. Single Player games don't keep users subscribed, especially done and dusted games.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I've been saying once GamePass arrived...online will go away and I said that it will happen at E3 2020...
#believe
It will happen eventually but I think you're being too optimistic. Live is just too big of a cash cow, and unless GP takes off like a rocket there is no way that MS will cancel it, especially when everyone else is doing it.

Jun 23, 2019

This...is not how it works. At all.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Insiders have stated as much (I guess except price but similar specs should have a similar price) but it's nice to hear him saying they'll be competitive, I guess. Shame about the dumb ass bickering about negligible power differences. I'll be getting a PS5 but if Xbox is 6 percent stronger whoop-dee-fucking-doo 🤷🏾‍♂️

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony can take more of a loss per console since they are not balls deep in a gamepass/xcloud (big IPs launching day one) scenario, which has to bleed money at least for the next couple of years. While MS has more money then Sony I don't think Nadalla is going to let them bleed money on GP/xcloud and on the same amount per console as Sony might be willing to do.

So my guess is, Sony's going to have the more powerful hardware, MS the more appealing services. I mean if you have xcloud why even bother with expensive hardware?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony can take more of a loss per console since they are not balls deep in a gamepass/xcloud (big IPs launching day one) scenario, which has to bleed money at least for the next couple of years. While MS has more money then Sony I don't think Nadalla is going to let them bleed money on GP/xcloud and on the same amount per console as Sony might be willing to do.

So my guess is, Sony's going to have the more powerful hardware, MS the more appealing services. I mean if you have xcloud why even bother with expensive hardware?

XCloud runs on Xbox hardware (ie. Scarlett). So of course you need powerful hardware with XCloud.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting choice of words from Phil.. Not quite the words used when talking Xbox One X.
Im thinking both Sony and MS will go for $500 launch. Honestly, I'll be ready to drop up to $600 for decent hardware. I just hope MS dont go all conservative with the cost and build a sub $500 machine.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Didn't play it.

I was one of those 17 million and I thought it was a complete letdown. The only Uncharted I didn't complete multiple times. It having a 93 metacritic means next to nothing. Other people's opinions on games don't enhance my enjoyment of anything. I don't participate in any review threads here.
[/QUOTE

And I happen to think that it is one of the greatest games of this generation and, in terms of gunplay, production values and writing, the best title ND produced (the boss fight is a masterpiece). My opinion does not matter? Weall, neither does yours! The only objective barometers are sales and critical consensus; Uncharted 4 got those just fine....

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

And site measuring the performance of games like Digitalfounfry, NXGamer, VgTech will notice the game perform similarly. I think most consumers don't care about fanboy and the media will follow and say power is nearly the same. Some fanboys will talk about it on forum like here.

One thing I hope PS5 is not noisy like my day one PS4 and my PS4 Pro. This is maybe a reason to switch if The Initiative game and Fable game are good.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Somy will have been able to negotiate a better deal for their bom than Microsoft. Based on sales of PS4, but it's all down to how much money ms are willing to throw at it in the short term. Ms could easy alleviate this with a cash investment up front with a goal to steal sales of the next Gen early, levelling the playing field.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, they won't overtake PlayStation if they don't strengthen their position in markets other than the US (cough Europe cough).

And with japanese games being quite popular over here, especially France, but Spain catching up as well, MS still has a looot of work to do.
But I guess it would be a success if they could at least catch up to Sony again like with the 360. Taking over as market leader probably would be the next logical step.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, they won't overtake PlayStation if they don't strengthen their position in markets other than the US (cough Europe cough).

And with japanese games being quite popular over here, especially France, but Spain catching up as well, MS still has a looot of work to do.
But I guess it would be a success if they could at least catch up to Sony again like with the 360. Taking over as market leader probably would be the next logical step.

all ms need to do is slow ps5 adoption and hurt their overall generational sales, if that's what they want to do. I'd like to think the TAM is growing and everyone can eat.

but if we say the TAM for next Gen stays the same (which would suck) then unfortunately ms needs to steal Sony's lunch in its strong markets and make inroads into Europe.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
XBX is less-powerful than PS4 and $100 more?

How was that justified?

It was the Kinect bundled version that was $499.99 then when they unbundled the kinect it was $399.99. That didn't make sense because they valued the kinect from $149.00 to $179.00, so after unbundling it should've been $349.99. They pushed around $50 discount through retailers but didn't lower the official msrp for a while.