• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet that $50 million includes significant milestone incentives.

The guaranteed, non-incentivized value is probably around $25 million.

Yeah, we have no details. It could be a contract worth up-to $50 mil, or could be worth at minimum 50 mil. And do we know how many years it's for?

It might be a 20 year contract. Who knows, in the future streamers might be getting a million dollars a week like the cast of Friends, or Seinfeld, so maybe one day we're looking back at how Ninja got played.

Jun 22, 2019
i don't think you actually know what a scab is

I don't think you know it's often used as a slang term for people who go out of their way to defend obscene capitalistic practices in general. But it's okay, stick to 1 specific dictionary definition if it makes you feel better.

The other guy whose deeply frustrated at me can keep whining about how other rich celebrities also exist, lol. He may also want to learn that when someone posts stuff like "why is this so hard for some of you to understand" when it's something everyone understands, they may receive some snarky condesention in response.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was more than that, one estimate had him in the neighborhood of $1m per month just off subscriptions last i looked.

Absolutely wack, but i just had an even wilder thought: we are maybe a decade at most away from the first billionaire youtuber.
Highly doubt it. Seinfeld has almost done that for comedians, but not yet I don't think and he's been working for decades. Paying streamers like tv stars makes sense when they get way more engagement and similar audiences to tv stars. I don't see why people are struggling with the thought of the literal biggest star in the medium getting paid.

Oct 29, 2017
I just saw an amount closer to $1billion and spit my drink out (not really, but if I had a drink maybe!).

$50 million is more "reasonable" after reading that fake number lol

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having no discernable talent and getting that kind of money just handed to you? I renovate a house top to bottom and then go to sleep at night thinking about how I'm a fraud who doesn't deserve anything I have lol
it's honestly things like this that keep me from worrying about being good enough at anything

nobody at the top of the economic scale deserves their spot, why feel any anxiety about what i have?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
That I think it's ridiculous someone got that kind of paycheck for streaming while playing games? I have a decent job where I work hard and I probably won't make anywhere near 50m in my lifetime, so yeah, it rubs me the wrong way.

I know I'm not the only one who finds it utterly absurd.

That and "a fool and his money."

Again, think of it as a marketing expensive. He has a fanbase of which a certain percentage will move to Microsoft's platform. It's a long term plan for obtaining an audience that billboards and traditional ads can't buy.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
With that kinda money Microsoft could be making games...
That money could have gone to a studio.

They've already invested in several studios and games.

The point of Mixer and getting streamer/streamers like Ninja is to increase social media marketing. The marketing for games like Call of Duty, GTA, Uncharted, etc. are millions, with some being more than others.

The projected marketing cost for GTA V was 70 million to 113 million, and this was in 2013. Ninja will probably be a key part of the Halo Infinite marketing.

This isn't Microsoft taking money out of studio's pockets and putting it into Mixer. This is an investment into Mixer's future, and they are hoping it will make their other brands like Xbox more successful. Think big picture and from a business angle.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
People in here acting all indignant like they wouldn't take $50 million to stream on a rival platform in a heartbeat

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine having no discernable talent and getting that kind of money just handed to you? I renovate a house top to bottom and then go to sleep at night thinking about how I'm a fraud who doesn't deserve anything I have lol

One of the biggest companies is willing to pay him over $50 million dollars. Clearly he has a discernible talent.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure it's been said, but to put that number in perspective, Satya Nadella's salary is $25 million. Obviously they're not offering Ninja a salaried position at $50 million/yr, but it's not like a bunch of people at MS are making as much money as Ninja.

For another perspective, I believe this is about what Seinfeld is getting for being exclusive with Netflix and he and Ninja both have about the same number of Twitter followers...though Seinfeld is not actively on Twitter and obviously has a fanbase that isn't on Twitter as much as Ninja's fans probably are. Either way, viewed through that lens, $50 million doesn't seem that unreasonable.

It's still crazy though.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
One of the biggest companies is willing to pay him over $50 million dollars. Clearly he has a discernible talent.

history is littered with useless and untalented people who made big bucks by simply being in the right place at the right time. Not that ninja is one of those, but "he's getting money so he must be worth it" isn't exactly sound logic.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Waste lol. In the long term MS almost certainly fleeced Ninja. Halo 4's marketing budget was $30 million alone.
Ok?

I don't think this investment is going to pan out the way MS is hoping it will. Mixer might get a small boost but don't think it'll make Mixer big enough to compete with Twitch.

I wish it would though. Mixer is superior to Twitch.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well let's see how the next generation fares then for MS because, with the exception of Gamepass and the Forza games, this generation has been a shitshow.
Sure

But you seemed to imply that Microsoft should've spent 50 million (more) not on marketing for their brand, future, and another platform but it instead on Xbox. I'm just pointing out they've spent hundred's of millions if not more on brand new projects, and Mixer paying Ninja doesn't take away from that. Get it?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok?

I don't think this investment is going to pan out the way MS is hoping it will. Mixer might get a small boost but don't think it'll make Mixer big enough to compete with Twitch.

I wish it would though. Mixer is superior to Twitch.

It's not going to singlehandedly make Mixer, but its definitely a huge start. Once they start giving free mixer subs with Xbox Live/Game Pass/etc and premiering Xbox exclusives on Mixer we'll start to see the uptick.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Love how Bugha is playing with Ninja. Bugha is on Twitch (65k viewers), Ninja is on Twitch (74k viewers).
What a world.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Seems reasonable considering how mucj publicity this has gotten, raising awareness of Mixer, plus how much it will get in the future when he starts playing Halo and any other MS games.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the official sign that we are living in a dystopia? I know there are plenty of signs, but the sheer absurdity of this is mind-boggling. Think of how many lives $50 million could change.

There are people made that are born into billions that will die with even more billions.

I'd consider that far more dystopian than a streamer getting a timed exclusivity deal.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure

But you seemed to imply that Microsoft should've spent 50 million (more) not on marketing for their brand, future, and another platform but it instead on Xbox. I'm just pointing out they've spent hundred's of millions if not more on brand new projects, and Mixer paying Ninja doesn't take away from that. Get it?

Your posts were pretty constructive and I totally understand what you're getting at but then you had to be patronising. Come on mate.

Obviously I'm old school, out of touch, idealistic etc but I don't think anyone ever deserves 50M USD ever. Until today, I had no idea that Mixer existed so perhaps that budget could have gone towards more ads or something. Wait ... because of this thread and Ninja I'm now aware of Mixer ... that's meta stuff.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Yeah tell me about it. I've been a "gamer" for 30 years and have never heard of this guy before.

same here. honestly i havent heard of this Mixer thing either. i've heard of The Verge but thats it.. and i know Twitch.

i'm officially old. feels kinda good though, i can finally stop caring about all the peripheral stuff, it's hopeless trying to remain interested and in the loop. i know there's a couple interesting games coming out this year and PS5 comes out next year maybe. that's the extent of my current engagement lol, and its fine.

should posts like this be bannable btw? maybe us old geezers should just shut up and quietly fade into irrelevance, and not shit up threads for the youngins.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
then you had to be patronising.

Was not trying to be at all. And if I appeared that way, I'm sorry.

Obviously I'm old school, out of touch, idealistic etc but I don't think anyone ever deserves 50M USD ever.

Doesn't mean you're out of touch imo. It's just really ridiculous how much marketing and etc. are and I don't think a lot of people realize it. I've been getting into business the two years, and it blows my mind how much $$$ everything is. And then reading into detail about the gaming industry, film industry, sports industry, etc. and marketing has a huge role in everything.

Marketing is willllld. And "influencers" (god I hate that term lol) are one of the best forms of marketing there is.

Again, sorry if you felt insulted, it definitely wasn't my intention. Have a good day man.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Why not 5 million? Why 50? What an obscene amount of money. I always wonder how amounts are settled on.