• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Good for him. I don't watch him but I know his YT/Twitch fame wont last forever, might as well cash in all you can before the fallout.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an actual reason to dislike Ninja? Like, has he had his "heated gaming moments" or anything like that? If not, good for him I guess. Not a fan of his but from what I've seen he seems harmless.
The only thing I'm aware of is his refusal to stream with women because of the Twitch rumor mill and harassment. Which is dumb and worthy of criticism (cause while I'm sure he does get rumors and harassment, the solution isn't to stop streaming with women). Otherwise he seems fine.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Who in the fuck thought for one goddamn second that Microsoft had paid him over 900 million US dollars? How did that get past the critical thinking barrier of your brain?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, I just realized, maybe MS didn't just buy Ninja to stream. Maybe they bought the brand? Ala Minecraft. I go to target all the time and I see shirts/toys that say "Ninja" thats the same guy right?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$50M to bring that many eyes to Mixer seems like a decent enough investment. Like, $50M in a straight marketing spend probably won't result in as much engagement & new users as buying out Ninja.

Publishers spend this sort of money to market a single game.

Ninja will probably do more for their marketing, and for an entire console launch, service launch, and tonnes of games.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
For whom? Ninja gets paid and MS has all the eyes on their streaming platform that will pay dividends long term. Sounds like a win win. Yall did this same song and dance when yall thought they overpaid for Minecraft.
I'm just saying it sounds like a waste to me. It could very well work out great for them but I just don't see it. I don't pay attention to streamers either though so I could just be out if the loop. I am always willing to admit I maybe wrong.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'm aware of is his refusal to stream with women because of the Twitch rumor mill and harassment. Which is dumb and worthy of criticism (cause while I'm sure he does get rumors and harassment, the solution isn't to stop streaming with women). Otherwise he seems fine.
Right, yes. Forgot about that one. Definitely not a good look but in the grand scheme of things could be a LOT worse.

Jun 22, 2019
He worked hard for this. You don't get this much just from being bad at entertaining a streaming audience and/or being bad at games.

How do people still use this rationale in the age of PDP and runaway algorithms?

For every Ninja/PDP/Markiplier/etc, there are thousands upon thousands of people who work just as hard or harder and get nowhere.

Yes, you usually need hard work as a prerequisite. But hard work hardly facilitates success.

I have a YT channel with over 100k subs for example; it's not because I work harder or smarter than a lot of tiny channels. I've literally put in work and found an audience and that only made me more acutely aware of how arbitrary online success is, especially after following smaller channels for years that create brilliant work and do tons of outreach.

The main issue though, is that obscene multi-million dollar levels of success is not defendable at a certain point as "hard work." It's down to arbitrary and often luck-based factors at that point.
Try defending Bezos for "working hard."

People shouldn't be hating Ninja for doing what he likes unless he's an awful person (outside of some weird sexist comments, he seems okay from what I hear on this forum). But people are in the right to insult the system that creates situations like these and propogates obscenely uneven wealth distribution.

Oct 25, 2017
here's the thing: his talent at being entertaining is not millions of times more valuable than anything any one of us probably does for a living. so while people are wrong when they say he has no talent, they're reacting to the unfairness of him getting more money than god for it while by all likelyhood most of us arent really being paid as much as we should in a fair society. yes, I know, we don't live in a fair one. but its clear that no human actually deserves as much money as he's getting.
Wait until you find out how much RDJ made from Infinity War and Endgame.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any source on that number or did he pull it out of his ass and everyone just believes everything they see on the internet?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. I wonder if this is a big deal for him - I bet he was already set for life money-wise :P

Also remember, why bother getting angry? Just like some people are angry sportstars make millions of dollars. It's not like this money would go to you, me or poor kids or whatever if these deals weren't made. They get paid so much cause audience likes them and the audience pay with their viewership.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The chat feed seems so tweenish to me. I couldn't imagine this being my life lol. I don't care about money. Sue me. It's just not my thing. I'm not into streamers.

big channels always have terrible chats. it's mindless noise with a lot of kid and it's weird as hell people spend so much time with that shit.

the only stream Ive watched in months is that murda dude in Texas going to a bunch of drag races, while also building his own race car (which just got fucked during tuning).

the guy actually has a personality and that content itself is wildly different than anything else being done.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
here's the thing: his talent at being entertaining is not millions of times more valuable than anything any one of us probably does for a living. so while people are wrong when they say he has no talent, they're reacting to the unfairness of him getting more money than god for it while by all likelyhood most of us arent really being paid as much as we should in a fair society. yes, I know, we don't live in a fair one. but its clear that no human actually deserves as much money as he's getting.
I mean that's not our issue. If you have fault in the money he's being paid. Which I should add is a damn rumor, because I don't care if it comes from a friend of Ninja's I won't believe the amount especially from a reporter which I have not a single idea who his sources are.

If you're reacting to how unfair it is. Then why are people just throwing him money? That's what people should be mad about lol. But this isn't a paywage issue almost all streamers are now millionaires. I think the issue here is that streamers get paid too much, but once again that's an issue viewers created. if it even can be called an issue. We dictate the wage these people have and we wanted them to be rich and there it is.

Jun 22, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing Other Users
They make that much because they bring in even more for the people paying them, why is this hard for some of you?

Why is it hard for you to understand that people are frustrated at the obscene and constantly increasing levels of wealth inequality in the world?

People should target the system, not the individual, unless the individual happens to be in charge of perpetuating the system. But IMO the people being scabs in this thread are worse than people with some misplaced frustration at a millionaire gamer.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
When MS decides to money hat they don't play around... as a whole I hope it means good things for mixr and the people who make it. On the flip end when MS stops supporting a project it's usually equally as swift. Personally I think the platform needs some retooling,

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The most famous person on the planet that plays video games, that millions of people/kids recognize is now streaming exclusively on a Microsoft platform and is also a former Halo pro who will more than likely stream Halo Infinite and have early access to the beta and talk about the game on his twitter/stream. Not to mention they are launching a new console and will probably hope to rebrand Xbox and move away from the Xbox one branding. I'm pretty sure the money they spent will work out for them.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
He was making $6-7m or so a year on Twitch so $10m a year for 5 years is totally plausible.

I'm pretty sure it was more than that, one estimate had him in the neighborhood of $1m per month just off subscriptions last i looked.

Absolutely wack, but i just had an even wilder thought: we are maybe a decade at most away from the first billionaire youtuber.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it hard for you to understand that people are frustrated at the obscene and constantly increasing levels of wealth inequality in the world?

People should target the system, not the individual, unless the individual happens to be in charge of perpetuating the system. But IMO the people being scabs in this thread are worse than people with some misplaced frustration at a millionaire gamer.
It isn't even possible for me to Express the amount of frustration seeing you call people scabs for THIS bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about. That's what makes this annoying, "I just learned a $2 word and I'm just gonna apply to everything to sound smarter."

Have I ever watched a Ninja stream? No.
Do I have a Mixer account? No.
Am I gonna make one to watch Ninja? No.
But I'm a scab apparently.

This is actually worst than the "I hope he gets married and they just use him for his money" post.

Yes, wealth inequality is an issue, but if this is the worst example of it you can find, I dont think you're paying very close attention.

Or would my time be better spent getting mad at someones elses success?

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the companies profiting off him deserve it more? I always find it odd that people attack athletes come CBA time about how much they're fighting for when all they do is play a game. I'd rather them profiting then the team owners.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

Fortnite will die out. Streaming may die out. He is setting himself up to continue doing this as long as it is popular, and then he can transition himself to something of a media role for microsoft and still get paid those phat microsoft stacks

I'd take the deal in a heartbeat vs worrying about losing money because you decided to spend time with your family instead of streaming

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I'm pretty sure it was more than that, one estimate had him in the neighborhood of $1m per month just off subscriptions last i looked.

Absolutely wack, but i just had an even wilder thought: we are maybe a decade at most away from the first billionaire youtuber.

Yeah I saw $500k a month but figured it could have been more than that.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of when Microsoft bought Mojang, it may seem like an insane amount to spend on something so ridiculous but it will drive viewers and streamers to mixer and they are likely to see a large ROI probably ten fold what they spent.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

These people also pay taxes and have expenses.
It's like every other self employed person.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's not our issue. If you have fault in the money he's being paid. Which I should add is a damn rumor, because I don't care if it comes from a friend of Ninja's I won't believe the amount especially from a reporter which I have not a single idea who his sources are.

If you're reacting to how unfair it is. Then why are people just throwing him money? That's what people should be mad about lol. But this isn't a paywage issue almost all streamers are now millionaires. I think the issue here is that streamers get paid too much, but once again that's an issue viewers created. if it even can be called an issue. We dictate the wage these people have and we wanted them to be rich and there it is.
the vast majority of streamers are not millionaires. making a decent livable wage is an uncommon result. the top is the top, as it is in any field.

I'm not specifically reacting to the unfairness; i'm just acknowledging its place in others reactions.

They make that much because they bring in even more for the people paying them, why is this hard for some of you?

Oh, I understand the logic. The logic is gross. The world could be better. But it is not, and it's nowhere near getting to where i'd love for it to be in a dream scenario. I accept this. Why is that hard for you to accept about what I think? If you believe in the value of what the most people gravitate to, then why are you concerning yourself with my thoughts or opinions?

Oct 25, 2017
the vast majority of streamers are not millionaires. making a decent livable wage is an uncommon result. the top is the top, as it is in any field.

I'm not specifically reacting to the unfairness; i'm just acknowledging its place in others reactions.

Oh, I understand the logic. The logic is gross. The world could be better. But it is not, and it's nowhere near getting to where i'd love for it to be in a dream scenario. I accept this. Why is that hard for you to accept about what I think? If you believe in the value of what the most people gravitate to, then why are you concerning yourself with my thoughts or opinions?
Okay, so we post things on forums in hopes that no one responds to them now. But explain to me how him being paid by Microsoft is worser outcome for people than him being paid by viewers who clearly have much less?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
At this point it isn't about Ninja's talent (although he has shown considerable talent and business acumen to achieve and more importantly maintain his profile).

It's about Ninja, the star. The same way you pay Daniel Craig to wear nice watches and drive sports cars, you pay Ninja $50 million to advertise your product.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Do the companies profiting off him deserve it more? I always find it odd that people attack athletes come CBA time about how much they're fighting for when all they do is play a game. I'd rather them profiting then the team owners.
He, like any popular star, is being used as a vector for the attention of others. It is inevitable that many will see this vector for what it is and have issues with it, but it still has the effect all the same; the negativity is pulled towards him as much as the positive attention is.

It is true, he is just an avatar of a larger thing, but by that same token it's difficult to see the forest for the one specific tree that's being paid Fifty Million Dollars.

That doesn't mean it's 'correct' to view it that way, but it does mean that this is the way people are incentivised to view it

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
People tend to suggest he takes $1 million or more home each month. Maybe he does gross that amount.
When asked, he said he made nearly $10 million the last year. How honest that number is, who knows.

i still don't know what you're getting at. Do you think i'm seething over this? Are you trying to mollify me or something?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so we post things on forums in hopes that no one responds to them now. But explain to me how him being paid by Microsoft is worser outcome for people than him being paid by viewers who clearly have much less?
I don't think I said that or anything resembling that at any point in my previous posts.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
People acting as scabs for the system getting mad at being called scabs. Lol.
i don't think you actually know what a scab is

for the uninitiated (i.e: yourself), a scab is a derogatory term for a strike breaker, aka someone who crosses a picket line

there are no picket lines or people going on strike in the realm of streaming, so really this poster is just typing nonsense