• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its in the PS+ for Dec thread but imo its bizarre and important enough to break off into its own thread.

So Sony announces the Dec PS+ lineup, usual basic stuff its Godfall (PS5), Mortal Shell (PS4), and Lego DC Villians (PS4).

Cool, 2 games for PS4 users (one maybe with a PS5 upgrade) and a PS5 game. Normal stuff.

But the PS5 version of Godfall is a new version of the game. Ok, weird, seems like it has a level 50 boost so you can play end game stuff. Neat!

But wait... there's more...

PushSquare said:
Godfall is one of December's PlayStation Plus games, except it technically isn't. The Godfall that you get to download with your PS Plus subscription on the 7th December is a new version called Godfall: Challenger Edition, which is designed to get you straight into the title's endgame content.

"Godfall: Challenger Edition allows new players to experience the game's trio of endgame modes, minus the story content of the base game and Fire & Darkness expansions, and grants existing players new exciting features and rewards to enjoy," writes developer Counterplay Games on the PlayStation Blog.

So, if you're totally new to Godfall, you're going to be skipping the main story content of the base game — along with all of the character-building grind. It's a bit of a weird deal, but we suppose it makes some sense when you just want to throw players into the "good" stuff. You'll be able to upgrade from the Challenger Edition to the Deluxe Edition of Godfall, but no pricing has been detailed yet.

What the fuck? You're giving me some gimped version of the game THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN? Who the hell wants to play a new game and jump right into the end game dungeon grinding? Why am I not allowed to play your game? Or wait, I can if I pay an extra fee? But ... wait... why?!?!?

This is some real bullshit imo, I don't want PS+ (or gamepass) to get bizarro stripped versions of games, I want the actual game you released.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone want to play a version of Godfall where all of the game has been cut out? Who asked for this?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow, thats scummy, i figured if anyone was actually interested in this, it was to play the story and then forget it. I doubt many people care about the loot portion of the game.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Genuinely astonishing. GodFall seemed like a very obvious & fair 'one year after launch' PS Plus game - only giving people a gutted version is just craven.

I hope this convinces a lot of people not to renew. Communicate clearly that this is not an acceptable quality.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that you can skip the crap story and get to the endgame. That's the goal, to get to the endgame. This just cuts out the fluff.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
wow, thats scummy, i figured if anyone was actually interested in this, it was to play the story and then forget it. I doubt many people care about the loot portion of the game.

It's a loot game. Of course its meant to be played longterm for loot.

Not to say that this move is weird putting it on PS+ like this anyways.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think we'll be seeing "stripped" versions of games on these services. I think that's a completely premature fear to have. I don't really know what Gearbox is doing with this game but it feels like they want it to be "F2P" in the hopes that people still buy the game. That said they're still giving the majority of the game. away as endgame is where you'll be spending majority of the time. I don't agree with this btw but I just don't see this becoming a trend

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Gross.

I was considering playing it if it went down to "free", but now I won't even give that a shot, I guess.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That's so dumb lmao

I try not to be negative when the internet is just oppressively bleak nowadays but sheesh that's embarrassing. PS Plus just isn't worth it anymore.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's some prime chicanery right here. Usually, if there was any PS+ downgrades, it was no cross-buy between PS4 and PS5. Only other real precedent for this was Driveclub PS+ Edition, but that a) was always advertised as a cut-down version, b) launched shortly after the full version of Driveclub and c) was a bonus game, and didn't take a regular monthly slot.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work for me if I have the base PS5 game and the most recent paid expansion with a current save. If I download the Challenger Edition, would it boost my character up to max level?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah...thought it was already lame that you were locked out of PS5 versions for certain games but this kind of takes things to a new level. Unless they have plans to make this game completely F2P or something in the future. But then it wouldn't even make any sense for it to be a PS+ game.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I like the idea that you can skip the crap story and get to the endgame. That's the goal, to get to the endgame. This just cuts out the fluff.
There's nothing wrong with that being an option but if the goal is to get PS+ folks to buy Godfall, who would even buy the standard version of the game later if you start from the endgame stuff? Would feel a bit weird and backwards to start from end and then go to the beginning.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That's so dumb lmao

I try not to be negative when the internet is just oppressively bleak nowadays but sheesh that's embarrassing. PS Plus just isn't worth it anymore.
I'm sure that Gearbox decided to put a dumb version of Godfall is a great reason to dismiss the other 5 games that come with PS Plus.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Shit sucks honestly. Was looking forward to playing through Godfall with this PS+ drop but have no interest in just playing the end of the game with a bunch of endgame items.

Had figured it was a solid addition to the month's releases what with it being December/Christmas but apparently not lol.

Last edited:

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
No matter how crap the story supposedly is, while should I bother with a game world that I don't know anything about?
Might still check it out since a friend was asking whether I'd like to play a bit of co op, but would rather play the free Destiny 2 Forsaken campaign.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious to try Godfall but that kills any interest. I have no idea why anyone thought that was a good idea.

OP
OP
thediamondage

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone want to play a version of Godfall?

i wouldn't mind playing godfall at some point, in 30 mins I can decide if the game is for me or not. Gamepass has been an amazing service for me for that, I blow through so many games and don't feel bad at all for only playing for 20-30 mins and uninstalling it if I am not vibing.

Happens less frequently with PS+, and Godfall being some bizarro not-quite-F2P version with no single player aspect at all really sucks, for me. Its a game I have NO idea if I will like or not, and I am certainly not gonna pay $30+/- to find out. Last few PS+ drops have been great, I loved Control UE and Maneater but hated Oddworld and Maquette, but no big deal part of PS+. With Godfall I feel like Sony is fucking with me.

and I do put the blame entirely on Sony, they could have told Gearbox "lol no we won't accept a gimped version of your game", but they decided to list it in Dec as part of their PS+ PS5 lineup. Meanwhile on xbox I am playing Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. Its ludicrous the gap between the two services right now.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
But hey! We can upgrade to Deluxe Edition (Not for free ofc.) :D

FFiW6NMX0Aol6jI

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with that being an option but if the goal is to get PS+ folks to buy Godfall, who would even buy the standard version of the game later if you start from the endgame stuff? Would feel a bit weird and backwards to start from end and then go to the beginning.
No one here is buying any version of this game.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
People in that other have also been saying that it's for best. I understand what you're saying on principle, OP, but if the single player is bad to begin with, it might be good thing to just throw people into the endgame stuff.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
You just knew there was some weird fuckery and content cutting going on the moment they added the challenger edition to the title. Another disappointing Ps Plus month, I don't know why I keep resubbing anymore..

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't mind playing godfall at some point, in 30 mins I can decide if the game is for me or not. Gamepass has been an amazing service for me for that, I blow through so many games and don't feel bad at all for only playing for 20-30 mins and uninstalling it if I am not vibing.

Happens less frequently with PS+, and Godfall being some bizarro not-quite-F2P version with no single player aspect at all really sucks, for me. Its a game I have NO idea if I will like or not, and I am certainly not gonna pay $30+/- to find out. Last few PS+ drops have been great, I loved Control UE and Maneater but hated Oddworld and Maquette, but no big deal part of PS+. With Godfall I feel like Sony is fucking with me.

and I do put the blame entirely on Sony, they could have told Gearbox "lol no we won't accept a gimped version of your game", but they decided to list it in Dec as part of their PS+ PS5 lineup. Meanwhile on xbox I am playing Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. Its ludicrous the gap between the two services right now.

Why the fuck are you comparing a service that costs £40 a year to one that costs £120. PS+ is not Sony's equivalent of gamepass