• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Shepherds Pie is one of, if not my most favorite meal out there. A full English Breakfast isn't bad either, but given how rarely I actually eat breakfast, I shepherds pie takes it every time.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
When Bacon Sandwich counts as a 'dish'...

When Yorkshire Pudding counts as a 'dish'...
When Crumpets counts as a 'dish'...

When you rank these 'dishes' above Welsh Rabbit, Beef Wellington, Chicken Tikka Masala, etc.

I mean, would you eat a Yorkshire Pudding plain, or a crumpet? No? Then how do they qualify as the highest tier?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Yorkshire Pudding deserves its spot at the apex, but where's the gravy? Toad in the hole should also be up the top.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Black Pudding crap tier? Fuck outta here this list lost all its credibility.

Last edited:

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
What's era's personal list? I'm curious for any future visits to the UK (most likely London)

My recommendations if u wanna try a good range of british classics:

Brekkie/brunch:

- Definitely go for a full english breakfast someday, a lot of hotels and cafes serve them up until 12.
- Classic "cream tea" usually a deal where you get a pot of tea and some scones with cream and jam

Dinners/lunches:

- Go for a curry. Any kind. Popular ones are tikka masala, jalfrezi, korma(sweet and mild), dhansak, balti, bhuna, rogan josh, vindaloo(hot)
- Fish and chips, with plenty of vinegar!
- Haggis with neeps and tatties, or tattie scones (potato scones/bread, NOT like cornish scones fyi) if you can find them, hard to find in the south though.
- Any kind of meat pie. Cottage/shepherds, beef&ale, chicken&veg, pork&cider, its all good.
- Go to a pub thats doing a carvery, you often have a choice of roast dinner or a meat pie or sausages or something. Often comes with yorkshire pudding.
- Just go for a burger, it's contemporary but brits love burgers and most pubs do their own specials with obnoxiously tall burgers served on stupid wooden boards. It's THE EXPERIENCE.

Desserts:
- Sticky toffee pudding or banoffee pie
- Eton mess or knickerbocker glory

Bakery:
- Get some kinda meat pastry slice or cornish pasty
- Bakewell, jam or treacle tart.
- Scottish shortbread

Grocery store:

- Get some crazy crisp flavours!
- Try some classic biscuit brands like custard creams or jaffa cakes, or get a selection box.
- Crumpets with honey or marmelade or marmite, whatever
- Cadbury's chocolate!
- Oldfashioned sweets like sherbet lemons, wine gums, licorice allsorts, humbug mints, whatever you like.
- Block of cheddar and some freshly baked bread. Especially if you're from outside of europe.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I just noticed that they just took the same picture for Cottage/Shepherds pie and mirrored it. Because I have still never managed to find consensus on what constitutes each and I've lived here my entire life

It's right in the name:
Sheperd's Pie is called that because it has lamb in, Cottage pie is the same thing but with any other meat. If someone serves you a Sheperd's Pie with beef instead, they're actually serving you Cottage Pie (and probably trying to take you for some money if it's a restaurant, since lamb is typically more expensive than beef). Beyond the meat, the specifics don't matter as much (re: mash vs. sliced potato, specific vegetables, etc.), the name comes from the meat.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't black pudding a common part of a full english breakfast? What's it doing in the lowest tier while the full course gets top marks?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought chicken tikka masala was Indian
It was created in UK by some Scottish geezer at an Indian restaurant requesting a sauce on his chicken and telling the chef to use a soup with spices. It's argued if it was the customer or chef who created it, but it was created in the UK none the less.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
It was created in UK by some Scottish geezer at an Indian restaurant requesting a sauce on his chicken and telling the chef to use a soup with spices. It's argued if it was the customer or chef who created it, but it was created in the UK none the less.
wtf
lol i suppose you do learn something new everyday

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of toad in the hole, looks bizarre. Also, I've never had beef Wellington but I thought it was supposed to be good.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
British food is on the crap tier of foods by country. The only countries that have worse overall cuisine are the nordic countries, russia outside piroshki.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Yeah until you meet someone who tells you Cottage pie is sliced potato and Shepherds is mash
Nah, I go from Mary Berry's Complete Cookery book, she does mash for both and if I trust anyone on the subject of British food, it's Mary Berry.

Mostly agree with the list except Black Pudding should be higher. Also Fish and Chips is very dependent on the area. In London they were always frozen rubbery shite. Up in Yorkshire, especially on the coast they were God tier. Whitby has the best I've ever had. South coast was good for different variety's, West coast wasn't too bad, just not as fresh as the NE coast. Never tried coastal Scottish Fish n Chips but I imagine they're good. Beef Wellington is amazing but I guess not commonly eaten hence why it's so low.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
There's a butcher near me, Walter Smith's that does the most amazing Scotch Eggs and Black pudding.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Beef wellington should be god-tier, but id be surprised if many people had tried it if they did a survey. Wellington is expensive to make and takes a while to cook, so restaurants don't usually serve it and people don't generally make it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that meat pie and meat puddings are very low. They're some of the best food we have. This is shitey list.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Greggs Sausage Rolls were criminally overlooked.
Also lol at the Scottish items in the low tiers. Definite proof that this survey took place south of the Midlands.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pasties mid tier? You've gotta be fucking kidding me. God tier food right there.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going to London for the first time in September and looking forward to trying out some of these dishes, especially Bangers and Mash and Shepherd's Pie.

Hopefully the meat pies aren't that low for a reason because I'm excited to try those out as well.
I had a steak and ale pie that was so good I got another one the next day.