• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bacon in between two slices of toast is considered "British food", and then god-tier even? Jeez, that's when you know you need to step up your game.

I also have a problem with Chicken Tikka Masala being considered a traditionally British dish.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
What about beans on toast? Basically an easy to do and functional "meal". Nothing else. Uninspired.

Chip butties? Not great in principle, but if you find a good place... It may change your opinion of that carb and fat fueled dish.

Definitely higher tier: Homemade pies at the Notty House in Broomhill, Sheffield. Amazing with chips and all that gravy.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
As someone that doesn't eat offal and blood, I'm ok with that savoury crap tier list.

Scones and crumpets right where they should be.

A meat pie or pastie is my go to favourite lunch to buy when out.

Bread and butter pudding underrated. I love it.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Battenburg and Hagis deserved better. Black pudding is grim and it should immediately be removed from all breakfasts.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Lovely shades of golden brown in the OP's pictures.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've lived to see Brexit, Trump, and 10 years of Tory rule but black pudding being in Crap Tier is a vote that has managed to deeply shock me.

Bacon in between two slices of toast is considered "British food", and then god-tier even? Jeez, that's when you know you need to step up your game.

It's not god-tier (and it's rarely made with toast) but it's a damn good breakfast when you want something filling but not too time-consuming. That we have decent bacon and bread here tends to help a lot; doubt I'd want a bacon buttie with the streaky bacon and sugar-bread that seems to be common in America.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me and the wife are visiting London later this year and aside from just looking and entering historical buildings, we plan on eating a shitload of food. Any suggestions aside from the ones listed in the OP? Preferably with locations.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have never seen a more disgusting list of food in my life. Keep that crap away from me.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember doing this survey. It's fun to see stuff you answered get published - like that time they did the best Rose chocolate.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the bottom of the savory list, I see something called 'faggots'. Is this where the slur for gay people came from? I also know that 'fags' is (or was) used as slang for cigarettes, but not sure if that's where the slur came from.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the bottom of the savory list, I see something called 'faggots'. Is this where the slur for gay people came from? I also know that 'fags' is (or was) used as slang for cigarettes, but not sure if that's where the slur came from.
Short answer is no- the slur contains common linguistic roots with the food and cigarettes, but one doesn't come from the other.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Just did a cursory look at Wikipedia and it seems that the food-stuff has nothing to do with the etymology of the slur. Makes sense seeing as it's very much American-made.

They shouldn't have included kidney in there, how often do you honestly even see that any more? And pork pie is filth, deserves to be bottom tier

My mum once made Steak and Kidney pie and I honestly thought that the kidney pieces were just horribly over-done mushrooms (I was quite young at the time) so I put them to the side. The family looked at me as if I were a complete idiot when I said "great meal but shame about the mushrooms!" afterwards.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything on that least is completely inedible other that bacon sandwich h which isnt remotely British. Our food is fucking shit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
not a bad ranking. I'd put bakewell tart up a level but its high already. And not a massive fan of victoria sponge so they can swap over.

Savoury is spot-on. Although I love black pudding I can understand people perhaps not liking it as much - you know, with it being boiled blood with fat chunks

Plum

May 31, 2018
Everything on that least is completely inedible other that bacon sandwich h which isnt remotely British. Our food is fucking shit.

What's "edible" to you? Are you one of those people who need ten gallons of hot sauce before they can even consider eating something, or someone who looks down on anything that "the dirty working class," might eat?

Though seeing as you think Bacon Butties aren't "remotely British" I don't think you have much expertise in the field.

Yorkshire Puddings and Scones in the god tier, where they belong.

Yorkshire Puddings are great (only when home-made; the frozen stuff is just mediocre) but they're not really a seperate 'food' so I'm not sure why exactly they're on the list. I've never had them separately nor have I ever seen them advertised separately.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
On what planet is Victoria sponge god tier? It's the plainest, blandest thing I can think of, and banoffee pie only mid tier?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's "edible" to you? Are you one of those people who need ten gallons of hot sauce before they can even consider eating something, or someone who looks down on anything that "the dirty working class," might eat?

Though seeing as you think Bacon Butties aren't "remotely British" I don't think you have much expertise in the field.

Dirty working class? Maybe rethink that approach, I'm my disabled wifes carer so they're a class above me. And yeah I'm struggling to see how pig meat in bread is something we can claim as ours.

The food, other than Eton mess, suffers from basically the same issue. Here's a sponge or pastry with an ingredient, usually a meat. Now it's a meal enjoy. I'll take anything Italian, French, Moroccan, Mexican ect over our shit since it's the blandest lack of flavour.

Nov 1, 2017
Definitely higher tier: Homemade pies at the Notty House in Broomhill, Sheffield. Amazing with chips and all that gravy.

Okay, that weirded me out a little, because I work not too far away from there. I'm not usually a pie guy, but are they that good?

Also, liver and onions is actually pretty tasty, but for the love of God, don't let anyone prepare them and bake a chocolate cake at the same time. It's one of the most disgusting smells from my childhood, and I grew up in a town with a paper mill.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Faggots and black pudding in the crap tier makes this list null and void.
But I can't argue that our food looks disgusting and I hate most of whats shown in the savoury section(Including 3 of the God Tier)

You have to remember most of this is traditional food, half of our shit comes from the 1800s.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Dirty working class? Maybe rethink that approach, I'm my disabled wifes carer so they're a class above me. And yeah I'm struggling to see how pig meat in bread is something we can claim as ours.

The food, other than Eton mess, suffers from basically the same issue. Here's a sponge or pastry with an ingredient, usually a meat. Now it's a meal enjoy. I'll take anything Italian, French, Moroccan, Mexican ect over our shit since it's the blandest lack of flavour.

That was just one of two "approaches," and was primarily meant as a joke. You're in a horrible situation, I won't deny that, but I don't really appreciate you using it to try and guilt-trip me over such a petty topic, especially since you knew I wouldn't have known that.

But, anyway, if you're going to be so needlessly reductionist about everything then of course it's shit. There's so much more to 'good' British cooking than you let on; it's much more than just putting some meat in the oven and boiling some vegetables.
"Here's a hard shell with some meat and veg in it. Enjoy!"
"Here's a piece of dough with some tomato and cheese on top. Enjoy!"
"Here's some cous-cous with a bit of lamb and yoghurt. Enjoy!"
British food offers a culinary experience that you simply can't get from elsewhere. It's not something I'd eat 100% of the time but to call it "shit," and write it off completely just makes you seem really picky.

Don't think I can finish a full British breakfast but I want to try anyway.

Are they yay or nay?

100% yay

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was just one of two "approaches," and was primarily meant as a joke. You're in a horrible situation, I won't deny that, but I don't really appreciate you using it to try and guilt-trip me over such a petty topic, especially since you knew I wouldn't have known that.

But, anyway, if you're going to be so needlessly reductionist about everything then of course it's shit. There's so much more to 'good' British cooking than you let on; it's much more than just putting some meat in the oven and boiling some vegetables.
"Here's a hard shell with some meat in it. Enjoy!"
"Here's a piece of dough with some tomato and cheese on top. Enjoy!"
British food offers a culinary experience that you simply can't get from elsewhere. It's not something I'd eat 100% of the time but to call it "shit," and write it off completely just makes you seem really picky.

I didn't mean it to be as a guilt trip tbh, I'm probably still a bit on edge from the Brexit situation worsening and the news about the medical shortages etc. But it wasnt meant to come out as harshly, more a light sarcasm but I missed that mark.

Though in all honesty British food has never really interested me, especially when it comes to making it. The flavours might just be subtle, but that's always resulted in a bland taste compared to other cuisine from our European neighbours. To be honest I've always suspected we generally have a lower standard in food off the back off WW2. Like many of our parents used to eat the left over cooking fat out of a pan in sandwiches and stuff like milk sop because it was one of few options.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I didn't mean it to be as a guilt trip tbh, I'm probably still a bit on edge from the Brexit situation worsening and the news about the medical shortages etc. But it wasnt meant to come out as harshly.

Though in all honesty British food has never really interested me, especially when it comes to making it. The flavours might just be subtle, but that's always resulted in a bland taste compared to other cuisine from our European neighbours. To be honest I've always suspected we generally have a lower standard in food off the back off WW2. Like many of our parents used to eat the left over cooking fat out of a pan in sandwiches and stuff like milk sop because it was one of few options.

No harm done :)

As for the rest, that's probably correct, but there's so much more you can do with British food nowadays that I think writing it off as 'shit' is a bit misguided. I've been incredibly privileged to have grown up with an amazing cook for a Mum and I must admit that, whenever I have tried other people's cooking, it does end up coming off as really bland. Stuff like making a roast dinner with frozen Yorkshires, barely-seasoned meat, and gravy that comes straight out of the packet, or doing Sausage & Mash with basics sausages and crappy un-buttered Mash. Of course it doesn't help that most 'British food' restaurants are crap-tier 'gastro-pub' chains or cafes that don't know how to cook a slice of bacon properly. Similarly I've had food from many other countries that haven't exactly had much flavour, and none of the breakfasts I've tried in the European countries I've been to could ever compete with a full english or bacon buttie to me, so there's good and bad everywhere.

British food isn't something I'd have every day but it fills a 'heart-warming and filling' niche that simply no other cuisines can fill for me. It's the very definition of comfort food imo. American food is perhaps the most similar but even then that's always a bit 'too' much in terms of sweetness.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

No. If memory serves it relates to the original definition which was basically another word for kindling and then somehow derived from that to a word that was used when referring to heretics. Presumable because they often ended up on the wrong end of a bonfire!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Less than 50% of British People surveyed said that they like Black Pudding.

Clear proof that more than 50% of British People are wrong.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Chicken Tikka Masala is truly wonderful. Sunday Roasts and Fish and Chips are good food but it's more the emotional connection to them that puts them into the top tier here, I'd imagine.