• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does she? I don't see her doing it. Could have missed it tho

"I had a friend a few years ago who called up and said 'I don't know who to talk to about this, but my little girl wants to be a boy. What do I do?'"

She absolutely does not need to include a misgendering of the kid in a paraphrase.

She also calls the kid coming out "an issue."

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh....old people man. Unfortunately I doubt many democratic politicians are very progressive on this issue.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this always make me remember all the "yasss queen" people in this community that were supporting her during the 2016 election cycle, even early on

She'd obviously have been a better choice than trump by miles. Still though, yikes

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
"I had a friend a few years ago who called up and said 'I don't know who to talk to about this, but my little girl wants to be a boy. What do I do?'"

She absolutely does not need to include a misgendering of the kid in a paraphrase.

IDK, personally that sentence doesn't bother me because she's quoting someone and quickly setting up a scenario with easy to understand language.

I agree "issue" is a loaded word, with bad connotations. I wish she hadn't used it. I do believe she just means it's an important topic, and is not using it to imply it's negative.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
What a disgusting NeoLiberal.
Is "neoliberal" the new Era buzzword of the month? I've seen it used so frequently these past couple weeks and it's bizarre.

That being said, she definitely could've worded that better but I really don't think she's making a 1:1 comparison like people are painting it out to be. She's explaining a situation that may be difficult for a parent to understand (i.e. her friend) and she had to put her own feelings aside and accept her child for who they are, the same way she had to dig down to figure out what she needed to do for herself. It's drawing SOME parallels but she's definitely not making a 1:1.

Oct 27, 2017

Do you actually not know how quotes work or are you just pretending not to for the sake of your "argument"?

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "neoliberal" the new Era buzzword of the month? I've seen it used so frequently these past couple weeks and it's bizarre.

Nah, I've used it since 2012. It's the whole idea of pandering to some social causes to make the base happy, but not actually using authenticity in their actions or understanding. The other part of neoliberalism is pandering to rich donors, making them promises, and taking their money to promote their agenda.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The constant threads on how much y'all hate her are getting stale at this point. The titles are also always borderline clickbait. What's the point of our daily hate circle jerks for HRC?
Nobody would make threads if she didn't consistently say stupid shit. I want to like Hilary just like I want to like Biden but both seemingly can't go one year without publicly embarrassing themselves under their own power. Nobody asked her to make this forced, dumbass comparison. She did that all her own. Also, it's not just about Hilary but the trans people, children and otherwise, and their allies who are hurt when public figures not only say this shit but are given a pass on it. Hilary gets called out because she needs to be. If she wants to be publicly ignorant, she gets to be publicly corrected and dragged.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This is a quote from a conversation with a friend who didn't understand trans issues.

Do you think the friend called up and said "My little boy who has been a girl since birth but we now recognize as he/him now wants to be a boy. What do I do?"

If the friend had said that, they wouldn't have had to ask what to do.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see the very valid and great message she was going for, but holy shit, no Hillary.

It's time for old folk to get out the way.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, the context is that she didn't understand it. Ideally, yes, it wouldn't be an "issue" or hard, but in this situation it was hard.

Also, she isn't really making a direct 1 to 1 comparison. In the clip she has moved on and is talking about difficult situations in general. She's talking about other stuff too, like international marriage.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's poorly thought out, but she's speaking off the cuff and I do appreciate her positively talking about a trans boy and implying the morally correct thing is to accept him.
I guess I'm put off by focusing on the parent in her example when what the child is going through is significantly more courageous. It misses what true courage is in the situation. Not disowning your child and accepting them is nothing compared to what a trans person has to deal with on a daily basis.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even touching this one with a twenty-foot pole lol.

Thread will be a graveyard by 10 AM tomorrow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a quote from a conversation with a friend who didn't understand trans issues.

Do you think the friend called up and said "My little boy who has been a girl since birth but we now recognize as he/him now wants to be a boy. What do I do?"

If the friend had said that, they wouldn't have had to ask what to do.

It's a paraphrase and entirely unnecessary.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
She was bonding and competing with Meghan Mccain about who could put their foot further into their own mouth.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone trying to go "B-B-B-BUT SHE WAS JUST QUOTING HER FRIEND"

1) No. She was paraphrasing her.

2) If that's your argument, you should be required to explain why including the misgendering in the paraphrasing was necessary to make her point. She literally went out of her way to mention the kid's assigned gender at birth for no reason at all other than ignorance. Stop defending this shit.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Bill is an accused rapist outside of the whole Monica Lewinsky affair, so I think she should have divorced him then and she should still leave him today. But it is her life, she has the right to do whatever she wants.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I don't mean to thread-shit - people are free to discuss whatever, really - but is there anything of value to really wrangle from this?

Anyone who has payed at least one eye's worth of attention should be well aware that Hillary is a stone-cold careerist and a thoroughly cynical person.

The idea that Bill's spotlight-infidelity was some kind of "oh I never, my world came crashing down, I went to church and everything to make the room stop spinning" is impossible to believe. To believe that, you'd have to assume that Hillary is a naive idiot, which she clearly isn't.

That said, it's weird to bring this up now, considering that the last thing a lot of people associate Bill Clinton's skeeviness with isn't some pointless blowjob-story from the 90's, but his connection to Jeffrey Epstein. That's not going to go away by you awkwardly selling out your supposed LGBTQ+ credentials on the (low) off-chance that it might make you look more sympathetic.

It's a weird strategy - which I assume this is - to clumsily try to run back the tape on her and Bill to the 90's, as if it had any merit today, and wasn't easily clocked as such. It indicates a pretty profound amount of contempt for the intelligence of "your fellow man" in assuming they can't piece these things together immediately.

Either that, or she lives in a sealed bubble these days, and has completely given up on the pretense of engaging with people around her who aren't "when prophecy-fails"-type sycophants.

Also, I don't think this phone call from a close friend about their trans-child ever happened. And if it did, I'm sure they feel great - again, as a close friend, which is something Hillary definitely has - about her lazily co-opting it for her own means.

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Are people going to pretend that it isn't difficult for parents to come to terms with a trans child still? It -IS- brave/gutsy to support a trans child, considering how much hatred exists in the world for them, and the challenges they'll face. Obviously, it is also the right thing to do, but to act as if it is an "easy" thing to do, is a lie.

With that in mind, I don't think she's done anything "wrong", and I actually think her intention was to highlight how it is difficult/challenging for those parents... But yeah, invoking it as a bit of a comparison was misguided, as regardless of how difficult it can be to choose to leave a marraige or stay, which it most definitely can be, it pales in comparison to the difficulties of growing up trans and having a trans child.

This.. Particularly for Parents who grew up in a totally different era in which Transphobia and Gayphobia where rampant and basically drilled into their heads. The comparison wasn't necessary but I don't think she was trying to demean either thing in anyway.

I guess in her mind it can equate since for their generation living with a child who is not straight is viewed as an ongoing struggle the same with being married to a womanizer like Bill.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to thread-shit - people are free to discuss whatever, really - but is there anything of value to really wrangle from this?

Anyone who has payed at least one eye's worth of attention should be well aware that Hillary is a stone-cold careerist and a thoroughly cynical person.

The idea that Bill's spotlight-infidelity was some kind of "oh I never, my world came crashing down, I went to church and everything to make the room stop spinning" is impossible to believe. To believe that, you'd have to assume that Hillary is a naive idiot, which she clearly isn't.

That said, it's weird to bring this up now, considering that the last thing a lot of people associate Bill Clinton's skeeviness with isn't some pointless blowjob-story from the 90's, but his connection to Jeffrey Epstein. That's not going to go away by you awkwardly selling out your supposed LGBTQ+ values on the low off-chance that it might make you look more sympathetic.

It's a weird strategy - which I assume this is - to clumsily try to run back the tape on her and Bill to the 90's, as if it had any merit today, and wasn't easily clocked as such. It indicates a pretty profound amount of contempt for the intelligence of "your fellow man" in assuming they can't piece these things together immediately.

Either that, or she lives in a sealed bubble these days, and has completely given up on the pretense of engaging with people around her who aren't "when prophecy-fails"-type sycophants.

Also, I don't think this phone call from a close friend about their trans-child ever happened. And if it did, I'm sure they feel great - again, as a close friend, which is something Hillary definitely has - about her lazily co-opting it for her own means.

She was the democratic party's nominee literally one presidential election cycle ago - A democratic party which itself has not shown substantial growth since then. She continues to be a major political figure. She is out here RIGHT NOW endorsing and defending candidates in the upcoming election cycle.

Her making transphobic comments is news. Her making transphobic comments to shield herself from criticism over sticking by and defending her sex predator husband is news. This isn't hard to understand.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
IDK, this doesn't really bother me. I don't read it as her saying accepting or not accepting your child's gender is equally valid. She's just saying it's tough for the parent but they should reach down and do the right thing, meaning accept them.
The problem is it came from Hillary Clinton.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Read the title...then read the article...then watched the clip...yeah, title is what I figured from here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a paraphrase and entirely unnecessary.

It's... really not that much of an issue. You're acting like she was dead naming someone and is outright refusing to properly gender the person.

Honestly this is the second thread in a row where someone takes a quote from a video and basically mangles it and blows it up to 1000 because... why, exactly?

Most parents, especially like even a decade ago, don't know and didn't know what to do if their child came out as trans. Even today most parents don't know what to do, because you're being presented with a situation where the parent likely has no basis of understanding that feeling of not being CIS.

The actual thing she said is basically completely harmless, the only thing that is "omg wtf" is the fact that someone just wrote a headline on the Washington Examiner, which you, OP, quoted one for one in your new thread.

Which is funny that you're so pissed about this after citing it from the Washington Examiner. How are some of you guys suddenly finding so many articles from a website that is as right wing as Drudge Report

Makes me think

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best quote, but I'm not outraged. She's comparing to emotionally complex and difficult situations.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see how people can misconstrue what she was saying here. She's not saying what she went through is like having a trans child. She's relaying a struggle her friend was having, not knowing how to handle an unexpected situation, and how they ultimately handled it. And if she kept vague about the situation, then that doesn't help illustrate her point. By mentioning the specific situation (but without mentioning names), most viewers will understanding that there's a lot of conflicting feelings at play here.

And regardless of how you think you might respond in a similar situation, or how you should respond, you never really know until it happens. I don't think most parents know how they would either.

But going back to the point, I don't think it was a bad example to convey conflicting feelings she may have felt, and how she ultimately handled it.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's the whole idea of pandering to some social causes to make the base happy, but not actually using authenticity in their actions or understanding. The other part of neoliberalism is pandering to rich donors, making them promises, and taking their money to promote their agenda.
literally no part of that is what "neoliberal" actually means (because it's either an economic ideology with the Big Idea of reducing state involvement in favor of ~*market actors*~ or a school of IR thought focusing on absolute gains rather than gains relative to other states), but okay

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The point she's going for is a generic "love conquers all" statement using something currently progressive (trans kids) as the example.

Problem is that you shouldn't really be comparing that with the shit Bill did for numerous reasons. But that's not what I think she was doing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are people going to pretend that it isn't difficult for parents to come to terms with a trans child still? It -IS- brave/gutsy to support a trans child, considering how much hatred exists in the world for them, and the challenges they'll face. Obviously, it is also the right thing to do, but to act as if it is an "easy" thing to do, is a lie.

With that in mind, I don't think she's done anything "wrong", and I actually think her intention was to highlight how it is difficult/challenging for those parents... But yeah, invoking it as a bit of a comparison was misguided, as regardless of how difficult it can be to choose to leave a marraige or stay, which it most definitely can be, it pales in comparison to the difficulties of growing up trans and having a trans child.
Um yes, it should be easy to accept your child's happiness and not be a bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.