• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why would she use that comparison? Was saying "I still loved my husband and forgave him etc. etc." not good enough orrrr??????????

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you surprised the person who lost to the most incompetent presidential candidate in history isn't liked?

Not that it's all her fault, of course.

In my view a lot of it is on the millennials who were all lining up to let out a big fart in her general direction when it was clear Bernie was dead in the water.

I literally have far-left leaning millennial friends who, when the time came to submit their ballots, they said "Meh, my vote literally doesn't count."

There's a long list of people are to be held accountable for this fucking debacle, and Hillary isn't exactly high up on that list.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trans People: this is pretty fucked up

Resetera centrists: no she meant something else completely different then the thing she said, quit being upset at her!

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Is this all you have to add? People (some LGBT minorities) are upset because she brought up a trans issue in a mildly uncomfortable way. You can add to the conversation or you could ignore the comments of minorities, your pick.

There is very little discussion to be had around how her friend discovered her child's gender identity and dealt with her own feelings, especially since the friend ultimately came to the proper conclusion.

What I'm reading is people saying and feeling that it's transphobic without explaining how it's transphobic or trans-insistive.

Why is she choosing now to talk on matters? Not the ideal time
I just wish Hillary would fuck off already.

She's simply promoting a book on the View.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

WHAT AN ALLY. What a tremendous ally from the 80s and 90s when she confidently and without hesitation shoots down the idea of gay rights.

Yes, and I re-hosted the clip they cited (that article, btw, is literally just them quoting directly from the video) from the view. Know why I posted the examiner link in the first thread? Because that's the only link that I saw after finding a trans friend fuming about this. So go fuck yourself with your lukwarm defense of transphobia.

But yeah, let's pearl clutch over sources despite the source being a video from The View in which she says everything quoted word for word on video.

Nice try though.

You know, I don't usually pull this shit out, but as a non-cis person I find it strange that I would support transphobia as you describe it. Shucks, I guess you just know me better than I know myself.

But yea, when I see people posting Washington Examiner articles and then acting like they are the best LGBT ally the world has ever seen, I call bullshit, and I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for posting this, this is from 2004 where she was defending her vote against a constitutional amendment that would outright ban same-sex marriage. She says "So I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage" right there in the video.

Can you also post the image of her in 2000 marching at the pride parade? Thanks. I hate this revisionist history that Hillary flip-flopped on LGBT rights only in the last decade. She's been supporting us since longer than Obama, Biden, Sanders, Warren, etc.

Ok, so you're claim is she has been supporting LGBTQIA+ people since the 80s and 90s and "longer than Sanders et al" right?

Cool. Please explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=151&v=9TyZBeGfeVM

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I know better than to get into it with devout Hillary supporters so I'll just say in general, I have absolutely no idea why some members of the LGBT community go to bat so hard for this woman as if she's been an undisputed ally her whole life

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Trans People: this is pretty fucked up

Resetera centrists: no she meant something else completely different then the thing she said, quit being upset at her!

The comparison to the struggles she had with her husband would have been very fucked up were it direct. It was not. It was general anecdote in the context of the discussion.

How exactly was the language fucked up? That's important to know so that we all don't make the same mistakes.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Know why I posted the examiner link in the first thread? Because that's the only link that I saw after finding a trans friend fuming about this.

So, it's almost like you made a mild error while attempting to make a positive statement in support of trans people? Maybe we should cut you a little slack?

Nope, too bad, grab your pitchforks everyone. Toss him in the fire with Hillary.

I don't even really like Hillary, and I think there's room for someone to criticize her for that comparison, but pretending this is an example of horrible bigotry on her part is performative outrage at best.

She is literally advocating FOR trans acceptance in that statement, if you take issue with her misgendering someone by using their previous geneder before they transitioned, then it's fine to criticize and correct her for it, but calling her transphobic trash for it seems counter productive.

Last edited:

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Um where did I say or imply this? I was speaking about not being a bigot as a parent and that it should in fact be easy to accept your child's decision. I never made any mention of the child in this hypothetical scenario. So you going off trying to inform me of the hardships lgtbq children face when I'm well aware of them is entirely misrepresenting anything I stated or implied.

Do not pretend like Hilary was talking about this being a difficult decision because of the aforementioned challenges the child will be facing. That is not what she was saying here. And its crazy were giving her that benefit of the doubt after she only recently changed her tune on this community within the last ten years.

It doesn't make a parent a bigot, for being absolutely terrified of the future their child will have, though you'll not find me once stating that parent who chooses not to support/accept their child being trans as in any way, shape or form, justified, because it is quite clearly, wrong and abhorrent to abandon your child like that. It is -brave- to not be a coward and do the right thing though, which is the entire point of my posts, and to be honest, this has very little to do with Hilary anymore, and more on the note that people discount how hard it can be for parents to go through a situation like that.

Oh, and I should clarify, I'm aware that some parents are just hateful bigots who don't struggle with the decision to abandon their child either.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sep 28, 2018

WHAT AN ALLY. What a tremendous ally from the 80s and 90s when she confidently and without hesitation shoots down the idea of gay rights.

It's a privilege of today that we can look at gay rights as exclusively dealing with marriage and post up clips of politicians denouncing gay marriage as them being anti-LGBT back then. There was so much more at stake. In fact we aren't even done with gay rights - we are still fighting against housing and employment discrimination. But at least we can put a ring on it now I guess and it's all okay.

No matter what anyone posts in this thread, it won't dissuade me that HRC is an ally or that suddenly HRC is transphobic. The OP title is misleading.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
The topic was about people dealing with difficult situations where they don't know what to do, OP is presenting the statement like she is directly using this concept as a 1:1 parallel, when the quote is a side story regarding a parent/friends dealing with something they have no basis of understanding.

Someone having a child who is trans, for like 99% of the population (especially only just a few years ago) falls under that umbrella, and the point of awareness is for the general population to be able to support their child even when it's an issue they have no basis of actually comprehending.

The right way would have been just saying, "I had a friend who's child came out as transgender". She was likely just remembering the quote directly in her head, so if you remove the issue of paraphrasing a quote from memory, the actual topic isn't even close to what OP is presenting it as.

I can respect people having issue with what she said, but people like OP who are getting their news from Fox News levels of journalism aren't people who should be taken seriously in their writing. People like OP are clearly coming from an angle that isn't actually caring about the issue at all and are just using it as a spring board to make a thread about someone they don't like who isn't even politically relevant anymore, other than Trump being obsessed with her and a few people on ERA wanting to relive 2016 like it's a time loop.
Precisely 👏🏽

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, it's almost like you made a mild error while attempting to make a positive statement in support of trans people? Maybe we should cut you a little slack?

Nope, too bad, grab your pitchforks everyone. Toss him in the fire with Hillary.

LOL WOW. I can't believe you wrote that and thought "Yes, I am making an intelligent point." Holy shit you're really proud of that. I can't even be mad. How very """"gutsy"""" of you.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hillary saying and doing insanely stupid and out of touch shit is my favorite meal and with this ill-advised press tour she's doing let me tell you I am eating

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a privilege of today that we can look at gay rights as exclusively dealing with marriage and post up clips of politicians denouncing gay marriage as them being anti-LGBT back then. There was so much more at stake. In fact we aren't even done with gay rights - we are still fighting against housing and employment discrimination. But at least we can put a ring on it now I guess and it's all okay.

No matter what anyone posts in this thread, it won't dissuade me that HRC is an ally or that suddenly HRC is transphobic. The OP title is misleading.

Hey there you can't just go "she's been an ally since the 80s and 90s" and then turn her anti-gay rhetoric from that time around and spin it like "OH IT'S JUST A PRODUCT OF THE TIME."

Also, are you motherfucking kidding me with this defense? I have some world shattering news for you: Not everybody in the 90s despised gay people. Some people were ACTUAL allies.

If you are admitting that it is impossible for anything to change your mind, even facts, you are arguing in bad faith and can fuck off.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is yet another complete mischaracterization. She's speaking and recounting a story colloquially.

Is "gutsy" the right word choice? No, but she's using it repetitively because it was the adjective the interviewer led the question with. For an ignorant parent who's never had much exposure to anything LGBT+, embracing their child's identity would take a certain strength of character -- i.e., being "gutsy." She's speaking on The View, to their demographic, not at a bastion of understanding and informed progressivism.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guys it took a lot of courage to stay married to a former president, allowing you take advantage of all of his political connections while you yourself are actively becoming a politician. It's kind of like the courage it took for parents to raise their child in a terrible society that treats trans people like dirt and the horror they face every single day.

I was courageous this morning when I went outside without a jacket out despite the fact that it was cold. This was my personal vietnam

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
guys it took a lot of courage to stay married to a former president, allowing you take advantage of all of his political connections while you yourself are actively becoming a politician. It's kind of like the courage it took for parents to raise their child in a terrible society that treats trans people like dirt and the horror they face every single day.

I was courageous this morning when I went outside without a jacket out despite the fact that it was cold. This was my personal vietnam

but don't forget, it also would have been valid for some people to have left their husbands, which creates the unfortunate implication that it'd also be ok not to accept your newly-out trans child.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad the average American is as woke as the average Resetera user and doesn't share similar sentiments to what Hilary is saying.

It's gonna make for a landslide in 2020!

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just glad the average American is as woke as the average Resetera user and doesn't share similar sentiments to what Hilary is saying.

It's gonna make for a landslide in 2020!

What is even the point of this post? That we shouldn't criticize transphobia because that transphobia is coming from someone on the 'correct' side?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good thing everyone in this thread is totally coming from a place from compassion, and there isn't any people who are using actual issues regarding trans people as a spring board to shit post about some politician they don't like.

Cause I mean, that would be pretty fucking heinous and morally bankrupt if people were doing that, but nobody would be that low of a person to actually do such a thing.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing everyone in this thread is totally coming from a place from compassion, and there isn't any people who are using actual issues regarding trans people as a spring board to shit post about some politician they don't like.

Cause I mean, that would be pretty fucking heinous and morally bankrupt if people were doing that, but nobody would be that low of a person to actually do such a thing.
It's a good thing everyone in this thread is totally coming from a place from compassion, and there isn't any people who are using actual issues regarding trans people as a spring board to defend some politician they like.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Is your supposition that being supportive of gay rights and being transphobic are mutually exclusive?

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know the nice thing about mirroring the video on a brand new channel as a brand new upload? I can see that this thread has 5,500 views and nearly 200 replies, but the video has only 67 views. Hmmm.

I can also look at the analytics of the video and wow that's quite a few people who watched less than 30% of that 2 and a half minute clip.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Are people going to pretend that it isn't difficult for parents to come to terms with a trans child still? It -IS- brave/gutsy to support a trans child, considering how much hatred exists in the world for them, and the challenges they'll face. Obviously, it is also the right thing to do, but to act as if it is an "easy" thing to do, is a lie.

With that in mind, I don't think she's done anything "wrong", and I actually think her intention was to highlight how it is difficult/challenging for those parents... But yeah, invoking it as a bit of a comparison was misguided, as regardless of how difficult it can be to choose to leave a marraige or stay, which it most definitely can be, it pales in comparison to the difficulties of growing up trans and having a trans child.
I think the situation can be described as difficult, sure, because there's a lot going on, especially for a parent who might not be familiar with trans issues. However, the decision to support them is a no brainer. To not do so is to literally become another challenge they face. It may technically be a decision, but not one that merits any sort of serious consideration or any sort of use in a context about choices that are actually hard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the situation can be described as difficult, sure, because there's a lot going on, especially for a parent who might not be familiar with trans issues. However, the decision to support them is a no brainer. To not do so is to literally become another challenge they face. It may technically be a decision, but not one that merits any sort of serious consideration or any sort of use in a context about choices that are actually hard.

Some other problems since people keep Just Asking Questions about why this is transphobic

1) A child coming out as trans is described by her as "an issue" they have

2) The comparison between choosing to support an adultering sex predator husband with rape and sexual assault and harassment allegations against him and choosing to support a trans child is DISGUSTING

3) The framing of this as being so hard on the parents with no mention of how hard it will be for the kid to live a normal life without being targeted by bigots and systemic bigotry

4) Following her analogy to its logical conclusion wherein she says it'd be valid for some people to choose to leave their husbands and valid for others to stay leads to some real gross implications. Even if the implication is unintentional, it still exists and is gross.

There. Anyone Just Asking Questions has a nice list between this post and the one I'm quoting from collige. I won't even circle back to the paraphrasing which includes a misgendering.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
What is even the point of this post? That we shouldn't criticize transphobia because that transphobia is coming from someone on the 'correct' side?

There you go again. Your reply assumes everyone else also interprets her comment/response as transphobic. There's been plenty of posts showing different interpretations and reactions, but you seem to dismiss any nuance in this discussion, and you don't seem interested in seeing things from other people's perspective.

So what is the point of continuing this thread? Your last few pots are just jumping on people with an opposing take, and telling them to fuck off. Seriously, what is going on with you? You're just angrily lashing out, and acting like the judge, jury, and executioner.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
There you go again. Your reply assumes everyone else also interprets her comment/response as transphobic. There's been plenty of posts showing different interpretations and reactions, but you seem to dismiss any nuance in this discussion, and you don't seem interested in seeing things from other people's perspective.

So what is the point of continuing this thread? Your last few pots are just jumping on people with an opposing take, and telling them to fuck off. Seriously, what is going on with you? You're just angrily lashing out, and acting like the judge, jury, and executioner.

I think the best part is that rather than posting a transcript or even adding greater context to her remarks, they took the time to set up a whole extra youtube channel while keeping the original framing from the washington examiner in the OP. My perspective is that "gutsiest" for her doesnt mean good or bad, just a time when you had to dig the deepest. Sort of like an interview question.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because it IS transphobic. Period. End of motherfucking sentence. She compared sticking by her husband who has been accused by multiple women of sexual predation ranging from harassment to outright rape to how difficult it must be for parents to support trans kids. That's transphobic. Stop defending her. Jfc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the best part is that rather than posting a transcript or even adding greater context to her remarks, they took the time to set up a whole extra youtube channel while keeping the original framing from the washington examiner in the OP. My perspective is that "gutsiest" for her doesnt mean good or bad, just a time when you had to dig the deepest. Sort of like an interview question.

MOTHERFUCKER THE QUOTES IN THE OP ARE DIRECTLY FROM THE 2.5 MINUTE VIDEO I POSTED. Word. For. Word.

Y'all go so far out of your ways to defend blatant transphobia that you are pretending she isn't on video saying the things she is quoted directly as saying.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
What is there to dig deep for when it comes to accepting your child?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You know the nice thing about mirroring the video on a brand new channel as a brand new upload? I can see that this thread has 5,500 views and nearly 200 replies, but the video has only 67 views. Hmmm.

I can also look at the analytics of the video and wow that's quite a few people who watched less than 30% of that 2 and a half minute clip.

Another nice thing is we can also all see that the moment the user you were calling transphobic over multiple post said they were trans, and you stopped replying to them and instead continued to attack almost every single other post in the thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is there to dig deep for when it comes to accepting your child?

She had to dig deep to find that comparison between her credibly accused sexual predator husband and trans kids. I mean, c'mon. That comparison doesn't just spring to mind easily.

I'm guessing some posters are really digging deep to ignore all the posts describing why that's such a problem, too. Very "gutsy" defenses, like that one person who literally stated nothing anyone posted could change their mind.

At this point I'm more pissed off at the willful ignorance in support of her transphobic comments because one person being a transphobe is awful, but it's so much worse seeing how many people are willing to excuse that same transphobia instead of just saying "Ok, maybe there's a point and she was wrong. She should apologize."

Like seriously, y'all. It would be so much easier to just go "Yeah. This wasn't good and she should apologize and do better."

OP
OP

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Hostility towards other members over a series of posts.
Another nice thing is we can also all see that the moment the user you were calling transphobic over multiple post said they were trans, and you stopped replying to them and instead continued to attack almost every single other post in the thread.

I stopped replying because I blocked them because they are engaging in bad faith. Also, do you think trans people are not capable of engaging with or defending transphobia? Similarly, do you believe that, for instance, a gay jewish person is incapable of supporting a neo nazi movement? Because Caitlyn Jenner and Milo Yiannopolis would like a word with you.

Your defenses of this shit are not as clever as you think.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I stopped replying because I blocked them because they are engaging in bad faith. Also, do you think trans people are not capable of engaging with or defending transphobia? Similarly, do you believe that, for instance, a gay jewish person is incapable of supporting a neo nazi movement? Because Caitlyn Jenner and Milo Yiannopolis would like a word with you.

Your defenses of this shit are not as clever as you think.

hahahahaha

holy shit, you're so fucking transparent

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I totally understand why people would assume the worst about people arguing in bad faith. Republicans have caused that distrust. But it sucks big time to be accused of it when that's not me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.