• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
Is she trying to sell a new book or something?
She was selling her book awhile back so I don't know why she is on the circuit again. Maybe the party wanted her out here? The Clinton family needs to go away. I hope the Democratic nominee doesn't use them as a surrogate when the presidential election heats up.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It is an awkward leap. But also the heart of it is in a good place, my mom went through a hard time when she realised I was gay, and did similar soul-searching and decision-making. From the perspective of the parent, especially those raised more conservative, these are tough things to deal with.

The heart of the message was good, it was positive towards trans, and I think it might have made a lot of parents think - so ultimately I think being outraged at the not so perfect delivery is fighting someone who is trying to be an ally.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
She was selling her book awhile back so I don't know why she is on the circuit again. Maybe the party wanted her out here? The Clinton family needs to go away. I hope the Democratic nominee doesn't use them as a surrogate when the presidential election heats up.

This obsession to erase Hillary and her family from the history books is tiring. I can understand why people would be angry with her over comments like this, she's made more than one cringeworthy remark over her life. What's infuriating is because she had the audacity to win over Bernie lose to Trump means she should disappear as a political entity when this sort of exile isn't given to male candidates like Al Gore or John Kerry. Of course had they been targeted it wouldn't make it good because it's a silly reason to hate a politician. She's not the George W Bush of the Democratic party, get over it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This obsession to erase Hillary and her family from the history books is tiring. I can understand why people would be angry with her over comments like this, she's made more than one cringeworthy remark over her life. What's infuriating is because she had the audacity to win over Bernie lose to Trump means she should disappear as a political entity when this sort of exile isn't given to male candidates like Al Gore or John Kerry. Of course had they been targeted it wouldn't make it good because it's a silly reason to hate a politician. She's not the George W Bush of the Democratic party, get over it.
okay so your official stance is: she constantly makes awful comments like this, but we definitely need her to make the media circuit because... reasons.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I don't see any misgendering going on there, It is a very weak comparison though. I take the comparison is just accepting something about someone you care about even if you don't completely understand it.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

I wouldn't class her persistent attacks against Bill Clintons accusers as "cringeworthy remarks". She needed to disappear when that Juanita Broaddrick story resurfaced in late 2017 (?). She still had plenty of defenders on this forum until then.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Al Gore is everywhere! Such a great example of a political figure not in exile.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
okay so your official stance is: she constantly makes awful comments like this, but we definitely need her to make the media circuit because... reasons.

No politician has been sidelined to oblivion for making cringeworthy remarks in public, Bernie would be thrown into that hole if we went by that.

Bernie Sanders said:

Should we exile him, too?

It's why that stance is bullshit. Sure she deserves some pushback for her remarks, how people are reacting to her here is that she's worse than Donald Trump.

There are many of us who dislike Bernie Sanders, what we don't do is think he needs to go into political exile because he made bad comments or that he lost to Hillary.

I wouldn't class her persistent attacks against Bill Clintons accusers as "cringeworthy remarks". She needed to disappear when that Juanita Broaddrick story resurfaced in late 2017 (?). She still had plenty of defenders on this forum until then.

She's not the only politician who's done bad things in the past, and defending her doesn't mean they agree with what she did. If we all did that we'd have no-one to run against any Republican ever. Don't forget th context in this thread is about her single comment, you're the only person to bring up Broaddick. That simply isn't require to attack Hillary Clinton for crime of being Hillary Clinton. This ignores what good she's done through her career, as though the only thing she's produced is being terrible which is untrue.

Yes, Al Gore is everywhere! Such a great example of a political figure not in exile.

He's been a high profile figure over the years and John Kerry became SOS during Obama's administration. Don't pretend like anyone here is going to pile on them like Hillary has been for daring to be a public figure after losing an election. Of course that motive in itself is a lie, neither of them destroyed Bernie Sanders head to head.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Man, what a mess.

There should be no "choice". If your kid is transgender you accept it because why wouldn't you? I mean, she could say it might be hard for her to understand (especially given she is older and might not be well informed) but there should be no "choice". You learn about it and you accept your child because why wouldn't you? There's nothing wrong with being transgender.

Comparing to her divorce makes no sense because Bill cheated on her, something that is wrong. She was faced with a decision but either choice you could understand while if someone decided to not accept who their kid is then that person would be wrong.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
She's not the only politician who's done bad things in the past, no does defending her mean they agree with what she did. If we all did that we'd have no-one to run against any Republican ever.

you're better than this

Don't forget th context in this thread is about her single comment

Shitty things compound.. Even truer for high profile politicians.

Well if Hillary Clinton stopped saying shit things we wouldn't attack her. I never said she wasn't a good politician, I liked many of her plans for America. But there are plenty of good politicians that don't consistently defend rapists.

There is no need for this stubborn defence of Hillary Clintons character.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
you're better than this

It's true.

Shitty things compound.. Even truer for high profile politicians.

These type of threads only react as a singular event to justify this response, and this response was an over reaction. Because she's Hillary Clinton. Compounding changes nothing. Again, she's not worse than Trump.

Well if Hillary Clinton stopped saying shit things we wouldn't attack her. I never said she wasn't a good politician, I liked many of her plans for America. But there are plenty of good politicians that don't consistently defend rapists.

Hillary could stop saying all this, she'd still get these attacks. She can't win here, because it's not about those mistakes. That's not an excuse to pretend what Hillary's full history is, her great accomplishments didn't vanish into a puff of smoke.

There is no need for this stubborn defence of Hillary Clintons character.

Theres no need to go nuclear over a lady who's retired as a politician 3 years ago. Let it go.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It's true.

These type of threads only react as a singular event to justify this response, and this response was an over reaction. Because she's Hillary Clinton. Compounding changes nothing. Again, she's not worse than Trump.

Hillary could stop saying all this, she'd still get these attacks. She can't win here, because it's not about those mistakes. That's not an excuse to pretend what Hillary's full history is, her great accomplishments didn't vanish into a puff of smoke.

Theres no need to go nuclear over a lady who's retired as a politician 3 years ago. Let it go.

Bro you are so adamant that all the dislike for her comes from a disingenuous place (be it Bernie supporters, sexists, whatever else excuse you've brought up itt) that theres really no point in us continuing. Peace.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of amazing how some now understand nuance and can understand what she is trying to say and get her intent but can't distinguish between Sanders saying the US pays more for healthcare than any country in the world and the US paying more for healthcare than what the average country pays.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
If I see one more person on this board excusing garbage opinions/actions from Democrats by pointing out that Trump is worse, I'm going to scream.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What a heroically terrible and offensive analogy. Just an amazing piece of work.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
giphy.gif

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You know it would be easier if she just said she didn't care what he did and loved him. Instead she constantly has to explain herself and saying stupid shit like this.
The thing is, it's not HRC who brings it up. It's a million different people whom she has to justify her staying with him. People wouldn't let her off without explaining, and she can't just not answer them because she wants to contribute to be in the spotlight and have some say in politics.

As for this particular attempt... It's pretty tone-deaf.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus...of course she would've been better than Trump, but this reminds me of why I'm not a fan of hers.

Nov 23, 2017
Here's the grossest thing, by making her situation analogous to raising a trans child, she implies something worse. Is the implication intentional? Probably not I HOPE, but it's still there.

For some people it's the right decision to pack up and go
For others the right decision is to stay

By saying it's just like raising a trans child, the logical conclusion is

For some people it's the right decision to not accept your child's identity
For others the right decision is to accept them.

Again, I hope she didn't mean it this way, but her words are so careless in their implications. Even without this implication, though, what she said is STILL transphobic.
You nailed it, OP.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is excusing what Hillary did, you might want to tone it down a notch when Trump is given a warmer reception.

No. Trump is rightfully met with disgust on this board whenever he is brought up. We don't need a reminder about how terrible he is in every thread criticizing the Democrats. We all agree that Hillary would be better than Trump. We all agree that Trump is ruder and more obscenely racist than Biden. These people still suck though, and should absolutely be criticised for comments like this.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
To bring up a story about raising a kid who is transgender as a comparison to having a sexual predator as a husband.. what the hell.

So does she believe transgender youth are betraying their parents love by coming out? Is she calling us sexual predators? You don't just compare two groups like that without some pre-existing connection.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"So, I think when the question was asked, personally, everybody faces a moment of decision, and you have to reach deep down inside and decide what's right for you to do and hopefully it's reached with love and understanding."

This definitely implies that for some parents, rejecting your child's sexual identity is the right thing to do. But hopefully it's rejected lovingly, abs with understanding of course

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
To bring up a story about raising a kid who is transgender as a comparison to having a sexual predator as a husband.. what the hell.

So does she believe transgender youth are betraying their parents love by coming out? Is she calling us sexual predators? You don't just compare two groups like that without some pre-existing connection.

...What are these leaps? Did you even watch the 2 minute interview segment? It wasn't a comparison at all, not in the sense that the OP is framing it. She was just speaking generally -- using many examples -- of difficult life situations, and moreover, clearly spoke as an ally who gave her friend advice toward acceptance.

As much as we, being LGBT+, like to think of acceptance as a no-brainer these days, the reality is a child's coming out is going to be a challenging thing for some ignorant parents to come to terms with (she's speaking on The View, to their audience, not a venue of cutting edge progressivism) -- especially for an older parent raised more conservatively, presumably like her friend (HRC is 71, and this was "years ago," not in 2019).

It was a meandering point because I imagine she's tired of explaining the personal struggle she had (that's cynically dissected by the public) over 20 years ago.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She's an out of touch old person who forgave her husband's shitty predatory behavior for political benefit.

There's a reason a lot of people in the country don't like her other than the insane conspiracy theories and right wing hate machine.

Still would want her as president over Trump right now and Melania is engaged in the same behavior her whole marriage too. Just not as vocal about it.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
My god, there must be a special on bitch crackers for people who are unable to watch a few minutes of video and comprehend sentences.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My god, there must be a special on bitch crackers for people who are unable to watch a few minutes of video and comprehend sentences.

We really don't need this video to understand why she is completely tone deaf - it just reiterates and reinforces why she lost the election in the first place.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily we were saved from her old ass views. Hmmm. Well I guess Trump is older.

No worry. Warren, Biden, or Bernie will save us.

70s are the new 60s!

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
...What are these leaps? Did you even watch the 2 minute interview segment? It wasn't a comparison at all, not in the sense that the OP is framing it. She was just speaking generally -- using many examples -- of difficult life situations, and moreover, clearly spoke as an ally who gave her friend advice toward acceptance.

As much as we, being LGBT+, like to think of acceptance as a no-brainer these days, the reality is a child's coming out is going to be a challenging thing for some ignorant parents to come to terms with (she's speaking on The View, to their audience, not a venue of cutting edge progressivism) -- especially for an older parent raised more conservatively, presumably like her friend (HRC is 71, and this was "years ago," not in 2019).

It was a meandering point because I imagine she's tired of explaining the personal struggle she had (that's cynically dissected by the public) over 20 years ago.

After going back and watching it (I admit I only read the op's quote rather than watched the video since I'm on mobile atm) I can kind of see where she was trying to direct that comparison about struggling through problems that you weren't prepared for, I just don't think that raising that comparison was appropriate given the context.

I'm sorry for the conspiracy theory personal problem projecting I did.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of clickbait is how she lost the election. I watched the episode and she didn't compare her affair to raising a trans kid, she was talking about having courage to face difficult situations in life, and mentioned other friends who were asking her about issues with infidelity in their own lives or parents she knew who didn't know how to respond to their child coming out as trans. Not trying to be the Hillary defense force but there is definitely context and nuance missing in this whole accusation.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
We really don't need this video to understand why she is completely tone deaf - it just reiterates and reinforces why she lost the election in the first place.
A few thousand votes, racism, Russian interference, and sure, she wasn't likable enough.
Terrible bullshit like the OP and their Washington Examiner article as well.

But there's actually nothing particularly "tone deaf" about this segment on the View.
There are plenty of other things to criticize. So yeh, surely, the bitch cracker store must be all out of stock.

I don't even know why this thread is still open. The title is literally verbatim pulled from right wing click bait.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is she trying to sell a new book or something?

Yes her new book just came out. That's literally the reason why she's been on talk shows this week.

If I see one more person on this board excusing garbage opinions/actions from Democrats by pointing out that Trump is worse, I'm going to scream.

The problem is that with how binary the US system is HRC will always be the alternative timeline that didn't happen especially right now since the world has to deal with the consequences of Trump being president every day. Till the Trump era ends she can't really escape it and neither can we.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You know. This is only partially related, but there was a minor internet controversy a few days ago over members of the Queer Eye team's support for Hillary and opposition to Bernie. There's a relatively detailed post on r/OoTL which goes into why Hillary actually has a significant amount of support among older members of the LGBT community:

Not to get into much of the rest of the thread (because everyone seems to be having such a good-faith discussion without me), but this was a good post

Status
Not open for further replies.