• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/...witch-online-as-the-virtual-console-successor

"The Virtual Console successor is Nintendo Switch Online, right? With the mentality that says we're going to be offering a slate of games, and it's a slate that's going to increase over time. For many of these games, there's going to be additional online capability provided in those games. That's the vision we have for how to best bring our legacy content to Nintendo Switch."

"We do [believe people will subscribe], and I say that because what we've laid out is a proposition where, yes you get the competitive play accessibility, you also get the cloud save, and you get access to the legacy content," Fils-Aime said. "That's a fantastic proposition for $20 a year. We believe that it's not going to be any type of issue for us. In fact, it's going to enable us to continue offering a varied slate of opportunities from an online experience standpoint."

Is this the first time they've confirmed that there'll be online capability in "many", not presumably not all the games offered? Up to this point I had figured they had ONLY said "we're going to be offering classic games with online!" - To me this says they'll be offering more games that don't offer online as well. Netflix style virtual console..confirmed? (but not actually)

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get some graphical improvements like emulators offer. Tried donkey Kong and it hasn't aged well especially against emulation.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Starting out with just NES games has me not thinking very highly on what me ultimately might get for this. I get the feeling it'll take months or longer for us to get SNES games, hell maybe up to a full year and N64 longer after that.

Adding online play is certainly cool but for me it won't matter until we get to N64 games, theres where the dream is to me. Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2 and 3, Bomberman 64, all with online? That sounds amazing which is why we either will never see it or it'll take them several years for it to actually happen.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would be ok with it since the games are included in the Nintendo online fee, which is pretty cheap.
BUT Nintendo has this history of handling the Virtual Console very badly, with 1 new NES game per week and once in a while adding a SNES and N64 game to the library. If they can offer more titles, than it could be a great thing.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
How did E3 come and go and we received pretty much zero new news on the online service? This does not give me any new confidence

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"Thanks for buying all those Virtual Console releases. Now please subscribe to this service to get access to some of those games you already bought multiple times"

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I would be ok with it since the games are included in the Nintendo online fee, which is pretty cheap.
BUT Nintendo has this history of handling the Virtual Console very badly, with 1 new NES game per week and once in a while adding a SNES and N64 game to the library. If they can offer more titles, than it could be a great thing.
Probably going to offer much less than one a week. Probably every few months you'll see a handful of new titles go up since they seem to be doing some kind of modification to each game individually

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If the selection of games grows to be the size of the Wii VC or larger, then I would certainly consider it a bargain at $20/yr.

It's got a long ass way to go though. Launching with 20 NES games is a poor value.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm amazed they were content to launch their online service so poorly. No big online game launching with it and the retro collection only containing NES games isn't exactly going to have people reaching into their wallets.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
In theory, this sounds great. A Netflix style service allowing access to Nintendo's entire back catalogue sounds well worth £20 a year.

I'm just pretty convinced that they'll launch with 10 NES games or something, and drip feed the rest out over the next 5 years.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, VC is dead for me then. I don't want to rent games, I want to buy and keep them forever.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
He means the free game that we get every month?

Great, so after 2 years we will have a massive library of 24 games. Amazing.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I hope we get some graphical improvements like emulators offer. Tried donkey Kong and it hasn't aged well especially against emulation.
Uhh what sort of graphical improvements are you expecting through emulation of an entirely sprite based game aside from clean upscaling?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced this probably would've went better to a lot of people if the didn't launch with nes games of all things throw 10 n64/gamecube classics up there first I imagine you'd get a lot better reception shit they'd get it from me at least

Status
Not open for further replies.