• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe there was seven episodes of buildup for that weak reveal. Dante, a character that randomly showed up out of nowhere at the start of this season killed Siddiq, a mostly unimportant tertiary character, in the lamest of ways. Like there wasn't even a cool fight scene or an "oh shit" moment where another character witnesses the murder or anything. Siddiq just gets put in a chokehold and that's it... meh.

I really liked last season but this one has felt very underwhelming and uneventful so far. We're already at the mid-season finale and it feels like not a whole lot has happened, and Michonne has barely been in it despite this being her final season.

This is where I'm at. The whole twist felt flat because Saddiq didn't have too much character development to begin with, his PTSD storyline was boring, and the Dante reveal came out of nowhere as he's a boring tertiary character suddenly turned important. The rest of the episode(s) was absolutely not on par with last season, with tons of useless dialogues and shittons of dumb decisions. The character backgrounds also feel like stuff they already did before. I don't know, I'm not feeling this season at all, everything they're doing feels flat.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I hate it when characters don't speak to each other, in order to force drama. Anyone would have said to Rosita, "It's the water!" And why the hell would it be so easy to sabotage anyway? Also it's established that Aaron has fresh bread each day, but there's no indication he has mentioned to anyone, "Oh yeah, the Whisperers were cutting up walkers in the river for no reason." You'd think that might come up.

The Siddiq twist was interesting but like many others, I never cared about the character in the first place.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just me or this season had been really bad?

I'm feel sad for saddiq but his plot was really boring

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, last season was a great resurgence but this is back to the Negan seasons. Just so many stupid decisions and plot points.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Season has been snorefest. And I'm down with character building but all the efforts to give the characters some history/character have failed. Maybe seasons should be shorter, they would have to pack more stuff in shorter span of time. Wasting whole episode on these new and old characters seems like waste of time.

Admitedly, I don't know how you can make the show interesting anymore, the whole concept of defending your village became old during three seasons of Negan.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Season has been snorefest. And I'm down with character building but all the efforts to give the characters some history/character have failed. Maybe seasons should be shorter, they would have to pack more stuff in shorter span of time. Wasting whole episode on these new and old characters seems like waste of time.

Admitedly, I don't know how you can make the show interesting anymore, the whole concept of defending your village became old during three seasons of Negan.

Yep. Their town needs to go. They need to get back out on the road and see new places. But it likely won't happen because that's expensive.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Their town needs to go. They need to get back out on the road and see new places. But it likely won't happen because that's expensive.

Season 1 was so bombastic, then as the seasons got longer while the budget got slimmer (despite increasing revenue!), the series got more stale. Even season 2-4 which were great had so much "2 people walk in the forest and 2 zombies attack them, #24294" scenes that it was obscene. It is honestly infuriating how one of the biggest shows on TV can't have decent CGI, big battle scenes or proper location changes anymore (I mean the prison showdown against the governor was kinda disappointing but it sure beats the stuff we get nowadays). Or when they do something different indeed, it's for like half an episode, like the much hyped snow part or the beach.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Season 1 was so bombastic, then as the seasons got longer while the budget got slimmer (despite increasing revenue!), the series got more stale. Even season 2-4 which were great had so much "2 people walk in the forest and 2 zombies attack them, #24294" scenes that it was obscene. It is honestly infuriating how one of the biggest shows on TV can't have decent CGI, big battle scenes or proper location changes anymore (I mean the prison showdown against the governor was kinda disappointing but it sure beats the stuff we get nowadays). Or when they do something different indeed, it's for like half an episode, like the much hyped snow part or the beach.

I for one now look back on the prison with fondness. At least it was only for one season. We need more wandering, coming across new areas and people.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm surprised (and kinda not surprised) a lot of people aren't feeling this season.

I've been digging it so far and this last episode was probably the single best episode in years, IMO. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised (and kinda not surprised) a lot of people aren't feeling this season.

I've been digging it so far and this last episode was probably the single best episode in years, IMO. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think I understand why people are a little down on it - the overall story isn't moving very quickly, or at least not as quickly as it did last year - but I don't mind it at all. We're getting a lot more character development and interactions, which is what I love to see from the show. I'm happy with how it's been.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I understand why people are a little down on it - the overall story isn't moving very quickly, or at least not as quickly as it did last year - but I don't mind it at all. We're getting a lot more character development and interactions, which is what I love to see from the show. I'm happy with how it's been.

By this time last season we had a major character go out in a glorious fashion, a major time skip, tons of potentially interesting new characters, proper dialogue, hints at a new enemy, an interesting dynamic between the groups, and so on. This season... aside the fact Alpha's poisoning the water and the only person who knows from our heroes is conveniently dead now, not a lot actually happened. They kidnapped a whisperer who died. They trespassed again and again but nothing much happened beyond the slow attack. Character evolution kinda stopped. Compared to last season, this one is extremely slow, it's like it was around Negan where they'd go 5+ episodes in a row just chasing CGI deers, collecting wood or building a radio or some shit. I absolutely understand that a lot of people love this season but yeah, it's obviously much different from last year.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
By this time last season we had a major character go out in a glorious fashion, a major time skip, tons of potentially interesting new characters, proper dialogue, hints at a new enemy, an interesting dynamic between the groups, and so on. This season... aside the fact Alpha's poisoning the water and the only person who knows from our heroes is conveniently dead now, not a lot actually happened. They kidnapped a whisperer who died. They trespassed again and again but nothing much happened beyond the slow attack. Character evolution kinda stopped. Compared to last season, this one is extremely slow, it's like it was around Negan where they'd go 5+ episodes in a row just chasing CGI deers, collecting wood or building a radio or some shit. I absolutely understand that a lot of people love this season but yeah, it's obviously much different from last year.

A lot of that has to do with the comic, to be fair. The twist with Dante, the inclusion of Gamma, and the poisoning of the water are all show inventions to spice up what was ultimately an extremely uneventful and lame arc in the comics. Like, this half season has been pretty slow, but believe it or not they've broadly covered almost two whole volumes of the comic in just these 8 episodes.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of that has to do with the comic, to be fair. The twist with Dante, the inclusion of Gamma, and the poisoning of the water are all show inventions to spice up what was ultimately an extremely uneventful and lame arc in the comics. Like, this half season has been pretty slow, but believe it or not they've broadly covered almost two whole volumes of the comic in just these 8 episodes.
Ehhh, that's debatable lol I've enjoyed this season, but the way they're developing it definitely feels intended to stick with this arc for as long as they can.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly subdued finale.

(comic)
Part of me expected that moment from the comics to happen in this episode, but they didn't quite lay the groundwork for it so I'm glad they didn't rush it. It would be on hell of a way to kick off the second half of the season though...

I'm really curious to see where they're going with this Michonne storyline - Danai has fewer than 8 episodes left in the series, so sending her off to an island to gather naval weapons is an interesting choice. Is she going to decide to permanently move to the island with/without Judith and RJ after the Whisperers are defeated? Will she return to Alexandria with the weapons just in the nick of time, only to die heroically?

Also, holy shit @ Gabriel stabstabstabing Dante to death in his cell. I honestly did not expect that storyline to play out like it did.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly subdued finale.

(comic)
Part of me expected that moment from the comics to happen in this episode, but they didn't quite lay the groundwork for it so I'm glad they didn't rush it. It would be on hell of a way to kick off the second half of the season though...

I'm really curious to see where they're going with this Michonne storyline - Danai has fewer than 8 episodes left in the series, so sending her off to an island to gather naval weapons is an interesting choice. Is she going to decide to permanently move to the island with/without Judith and RJ after the Whisperers are defeated? Will she return to Alexandria with the weapons just in the nick of time, only to die heroically?

Also, holy shit @ Gabriel stabstabstabing Dante to death in his cell. I honestly did not expect that storyline to play out like it did.
How the hell have you watched it already?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished catching up on this season. I see we now have doctor's murdering each other for the elusive position. I knew one way or another Siddiq's days were numbered as soon as they introduced the new guy. Truly the Defense Against the Dark Arts job of the Walking Dead. It's a shame, but Siddiq's storyline was kind of annoying me. I mean, not that he didn't go through some traumatizing shit, but a ptsd storyline in a world where literally everyone should have ptsd at this point felt awkward. I guess he was just too pure of heart.

I know Danai is supposed to leave this season but I can't even remember where Michonne's supposed to be right now... packing her bags to be the next character who abandons Judith I guess. That's really gonna be a hard exit to swallow with so few of the long time cast left.

I love Carol but I can only take so much of her chanting "must kill Alpha" while staring bitterly at the horizon. It's Rick v. Negan all over again. Queen Carol in her prime would've had Alpha's head on a spike in 5 minutes and been back in time to bake cookies before dinner. Don't let Alpha become Negan 2.0, Carol... Don't let Lydia pull a Carl by manipulating you into growing a conscience at the last second like Rick. Finish her, Carol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Aww snap, there it is from the scene teaser from Talking Dead, interrupted before he could knife him in the head.