• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

The Walking Dead returns with its ninth season on Sunday, October 7 at 9/8c with a 90 minute premiere. As usual, the 16 episode season will air in two parts - 8 in the fall and 8 early next year. This is the first season in 5 years to have a new showrunner - Angela Kang. It will also be Andrew Lincoln's final season as Rick Grimes.

AMC said:
About the Show

The Walking Dead tells the story of the weeks and months that follow after the apocalypse. Based on Robert Kirkman's hugely successful and popular comic book series, AMC's The Walking Dead is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama where personal struggles are magnified against a backdrop of moment-to-moment survival. A survivalist story at its core, the series explores how the living are changed by the overwhelming realization that those who survive can be far more dangerous than the mindless walkers roaming the earth. They themselves have become the walking dead.

Last season brought the culmination of "All Out War," which pitted Rick Grimes and his group of survivors against the Saviors and their cunning leader, Negan. With Negan's life in his hands, Rick had a character-defining choice in front of him. By making the unilateral decision to spare Negan, Rick upheld the values his late son, Carl, championed in order to build for the future, but created conflict within his group.

Now, we see our survivors a year and a half after the end of the war, rebuilding civilization under Rick's steadfast leadership. It is a time of relative peace among the communities as they work together, looking to the past to forge the future, but the world they knew is rapidly changing as man-made structures continue to degrade, and nature takes over, changing the landscape and creating new challenges for our survivors.

As time passes, the communities confront unexpected obstacles, danger, and of course, walkers, but nothing quite prepares them for the formidable force they are about to encounter, which threatens the very idea of civilization that our survivors have worked so hard to build.

~ SPOILERS ~

Previously Aired Episodes: Details of already aired episodes may be discussed openly without the use of spoiler tags.

Previews, Promos & Sneak Peeks: Spoiler tag all discussion related to content that is associated with episodes that have not yet aired.

Leaks: The posting and/or discussing of leaked material is strictly prohibited in this thread. Please use the TV leak and comic discussion thread for all talk pertaining to leaks.

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers]
[Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
For extensive graphic novel discussion, please use the TV leak and comic discussion thread.

Cast

New Cast Additions

Samantha Morton as Alpha
X7x7DmF.jpg

Ryan Hurst as Beta
QOkOD4Q.jpg

Cassady McClincy as Lydia
Va8UPXD.jpg

Nadia Hilker as Magna
JINLMtE.jpg

Eleanor Matsuura as Yumiko
M3QQdNU.jpg

Dan Fogler as Luke
9X6nRcd.jpg

Lauren Ridloff as Connie
2QJ9gT0.jpg

Angel Theory as Kelly
7tqFpRi.jpg

Brett Butler as Tammy Rose
NQm7lXk.jpg

John Finn as Earl
sSfV60Z.jpg

Zach McGowan as Justin (an original character)
HWDA4hi.jpg

Trailers

Official S9 Teaser
Official Season 9 Trailer
Behind the Scenes

Reviews

TV Line said:
Our resident Dead-capper Charlie Mason has screened Season 9's first three episodes and happily reports that, under new showrunner Angela Kang, there's a renewed focus on the AMC drama's core characters and, better still, actually playing the key relationships that were backburnered during the war with the Saviors. Add to the mix a couple of new mysteries and more romance than we've seen since Maggie was widowed, and it would seem there's still a lot of life in the undead.

ScreenRant said:
The Walking Dead season 9 premiere feels like the fresh start the series so desperately needs, trading grim wartime for a more peaceful period of growth and reflection. For the first time in a long time, The Walking Dead may actually have something of a bright future ahead of it.

CBR said:
'A New Beginning' doesn't abandon All Out War because it can't, regardless of how poorly received that storyline may have been. It grows a new story out of the ashes and dares to make The Walking Dead frightening again while evolving it at the same time. It's an ambitious undertaking for a show in its ninth season – especially one that's about to lose its central character — but one Kang and the cast seem well-poised to make work.

Forbes contributor Erik Kane said:
The last two seasons were so irredeemably awful that I had all but given up on The Negan And Friends Show. Now, for the first time in years, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode. I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead returning to what made it so entertaining to begin with. I'm not holding my breath, mind you, but I'm more optimistic than ever.

That may not be a ringing endorsement, but it's more than I could muster for two long, dragged out seasons. And that's something.

Comic Book Review said:
Though The Walking Dead only has Andrew Lincoln for a short period of time in Season Nine, it may be some of the best story, performances, and excitement in years. Angela Kang is making good use of his final days while wisely building the characters who will continue in his wake.

Kang is loading the show with quality character, relationships, and mystery (including that helicopter everyone wants to know about) right off the bat. Quality beyond Rick's exit remains a mystery but if Episode 9x02 and Episode 9x03's nostalgia, mystery, and heart aren't enough to hook people in for another round, there's simply nothing more she can do.

Ratings

Season 8:

Episode 1: 11.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 2: 8.9 million 4.0 A18-49
Episode 3: 8.5 million 3.8 A18-49
Episode 4: 8.7 million 3.9 A18-49
Episode 5: 7.8 million 3.4 A18-49
Episode 6: 8.3 million 3.6 A18-49
Episode 7: 7.5 million 3.3 A18-49
Episode 8: 7.9 million 3.4 A18-49

Episode 9: 8.3 million 3.6 A18-49
Episode 10: 6.8 million 2.9 A18-49
Episode 11: 6.6 million 2.8 A18-49
Episode 12: 6.7 million 2.8 A1849
Episode 13: 6.8 million 3.0 A18-49
Episode 14: 6.3 million 2.6 A18-49
Episode 15: 6.7 million 2.8 A18-49
Episode 16: 7.9 million 3.4 A18-49

Season 9:

Episode 1: 6.1 million 2.5 A18-49
Episode 2: 5.0 million 2.0 A18-49
Episode 3: 5.0 million 1.9 A18-49
Episode 4: 5.1 million 2.0 A18-49
Episode 5: 5.4 million 2.1 A18-49
Episode 6: 5.4 million 2.0 A18-49
Episode 7: 4.8 million 1.8 A18-49
Episode 8: 5.1 million 2.0 A18-49

Episode 9: 5.2 million 2.0 A18-49
Episode 10: 4.5 million 1.7 A18-49
Episode 11: 4.4 million 1.7 A18-49
Episode 12: 4.7 million 1.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 4.8 million 1.8 A18-49
Episode 14: 4.6 million 1.7 A18-49
Episode 15: 4.2 million 1.5 A18-49
Episode 16: 5.0 million 1.9 A18-49

Last edited:

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
All in, curious to see how they kill off Rick and how the show changes

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
Thanks Ratsky, awesome OT man.
Sucks we're losing Rick but super excited to see how they handle the
Whisperers

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
After watching the latest Fear the Walking Dead (which became somehow decent midseason) do you think they will merge the two shows? It feels like it. Both getting rid of their main stars and the story in FtWD points forward it. I kinda like this idea.

Edit: need to see the season final tho so maybe everything chances last minute

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the latest Fear the Walking Dead (which became somehow decent midseason) do you think they will merge the two shows? It feels like it. Both getting rid of their main stars and the story in FtWD points forward it. I kinda like this idea.

Edit: need to see the season final tho so maybe everything chances last minute
The finale answers this.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for another disaster of a season. Based on the casting news alone it's almost assuredly going to be worse than last years.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The news about the season sound solid, but I'm not going to get hyped up like crazy anymore, the last 2 seasons were such a disappointment. Hopefully they are indeed correcting the course. Plus most of the times the pilot of each season has been interesting, so I expect one good episode for now at least.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how they are gonna handle Lydia. I can't imagine how her plot thread is supposed to play out with all the changes they made to the show.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Monday's my day off - so i'll still be watching it. I'm gonna be as apathetic about the show as i've been for the last 2 seasons. :/

Also, why is Jesus Zod?
oC5GzmA.jpg

latest

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have no desire to watch this show anymore knowing Rick will never get a proper send off. I can't be the only one.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This'll probably be my last season of watching it due to Lincoln leaving. Fingers crossed that it's a good one but I haven't got much hope.

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
Tapped out somewhere early in season 7, but I'll be watching this. Lincoln is the shows only saving grace.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank christ only 8 more episodes of misery then I'm out.

I wonder how bad the ratings tank after that.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I hope this season sets up Negan taking over for Rick.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've been pushing this whole "Rick's final season" thing so hard I'm pretty sure my grandparents know. I still think they should've killed him off instead of Carl or at the end of last season and made an actual surprise moment out of it, rather than use his exit to desperately promote the show. But I guess they milked Carl's death too so it probably would've been the same situation.

Hard to imagine how things will look without him though, especially if Maggie and Michonne are right on his heels. Is "Walking Dead with Norman Reedus" enough to keep people invested? I'm interested to see how they plan to fill the coming void.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I might jump back into this show with this season. I skipped the entire part 2 of season 8 but I really have no desire to go back and watch it. Hopefully this is season is more of a fresh start for the series.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Damn, how did I miss all these cast updates. Luna from The 100, Captain Charles Vane and Opie! Not so sure about Samantha Morton as Alpha, but let's see. Hope the show will do justice to the border part from the comic and the confrontation between Alpha and him.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
It's wild looking at the cast as someone who dropped out when they first got to the prison (was that S3 or S4?). I'm like "who are 90% of these people?!" Lol.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, some fantastic additions to the cast this season. And it's nice to see these optimistic reviews. I'll probably hop in later on, curious about it!

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
IndieWire - 'The Walking Dead' Review: Season 9 Is a Huge Step Up For the Show

Folks, it finally happened: "The Walking Dead" is watchable again. With the Negan storyline in the rearview mirror, and a promising new status quo in place, the first three episodes of Season 9 are as strong as anything the show's done since the heyday of Season 4.

Now this is still "The Walking Dead," so things can certainly go south at any time. I doubt the show can resist the siren song of "yet another evil human faction" for long, and who knows what the show will look like once Rick and Maggie are gone. But for the first time in a long time, there's hope.

Grade: A-

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be interesting if the show ends up being great again but viewers continue to fall off a cliff anyway when Rick leaves.
I'm sure it is really string to start as they get to send off some of the most important characters in the series. Once they're gone though fucking RIP. Going to go to shit so fast as they desperately try and make people care about garbage tier characters.

May 31, 2018
I know these are Rick Grimes last episodes but is it possible they don't kill Rick off? Possibly leave his fate ambiguous or just have him kinda leave like Morgan did but obviously not to another show. I could see this happening on the hopes that maybe Andrew Lincoln decides to come back down the road.

Oct 27, 2017
All in, curious to see how they kill off Rick and how the show changes
What I don't understand is why AMC is actively spoiling such a huge moment for it's viewers in the promos. Why the hell would you announce your killing off your biggest, most popular character? Can you imagine if HBO announced they were going to kill Ned Stark two episodes before it happened?

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Should I bother with the second half of last season? It was all sorts of awful and I struggled to get through episode 10(?). I kinda know what happens and I want to see what this show can be without Gimple at the helm

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why AMC is actively spoiling such a huge moment for it's viewers in the promos. Why the hell would you announce your killing off your biggest, most popular character? Can you imagine if HBO announced they were going to kill Ned Stark two episodes before it happened?

They've never said that they're killing him off. Just that Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show (which made headlines the world over and would have been impossible to hide from the public).

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Should I bother with the second half of last season? It was all sorts of awful and I struggled to get through episode 10(?). I kinda know what happens and I want to see what this show can be without Gimple at the helm

Maybe just watch the last 2 episodes, or even just fast forward through them.

I'm upset my man Jerry isn't in the pics. Jerry 4ever.

I too am a big Jerry fan. I've liked the actor in his previous role on Halt and Catch Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.