• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Mine are detected properly and I have no issues, outside of the gun angle being really strange but might be intentional.
Seems to be due to what they call "cross use", any HMD other than the Index with the Index controllers will have the wrong controllers detected. Seems they've set controllers to be selected based on HMD and not on what the actual controllers are detected as.

have to say, the dev suggestion of using the Vive wands with the Vive and the index with the index "for now" is a bit annoying.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone heard anything from the publisher about when us folk in the UK can play it?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The RPS video makes it look like it's the "followup" to Return of the Rotwieners I'm looking for (except this time stabs in the head are instakills so you don't have to pull them off your bayonet and rip them in two with your bare hands...)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The RPS video makes it look like it's the "followup" to Return of the Rotwieners I'm looking for (except this time stabs in the head are instakills so you don't have to pull them off your bayonet and rip them in two with your bare hands...)
They CAN be instakills. But you do have to actually aim and swing all the way through. In a battle with 4-5 of them that can get tricky in a good way

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Still no download for me. Screw it, I'm going to play ARKTIKA.1 instead.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Have liked what I've played so far, great atmosphere and sense of exploration but bummed it isn't working over ALVR or Virtual Desktop currently, hopefully there's a workaround for this found cause I'm getting a bit of stutter over Link with my Quest that VD and ALVR tends to clear up.

It's kind of intimidating collecting so much junk for crafting in a VR game, there's just so much to loot! Not used to this many interactive items in VR. Also zombie encounters are definitely more tense and deadly than I expected, this is a hardcore survival game and with needing the backpack to fetch items reminds me of ZombiU in a way. I'm only facing one on ones so far and even that is tense enough particularly with how fast your stamina can drain when trying to run away, the zombies keep up pretty well when chasing you. I fear for having to face a full on mob :P

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I got a review code a few days ago, even as someone who finds crafting games boring as hell I have to give this a strong recommendation. Atmosphere and VR feel is really strong. Menu/item management is surprisingly intuitive given the control limitations of VR. Even the crafting is basic enough to not be annoying but at least varied enough to be interesting.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Dying to try this but I saw someone say on Steam that the game is a single file, so patches will have to redownload the entire game. You apparently can't physically crouch (you need to press a button, I guess), so I'm just going to wait for it to be patched in to minimize the number of times I have to download this.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm in the same boat myself. Hopefully it'll be available to download soon. I played Doctor Who on Quest instead.

I just managed to "fix" it! I cancelled the pre-order on my phone (where I had originally ordered it from) and then opened the Oculus app on my PC a few minutes later and it let me repurchase and then download the game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I just managed to "fix" it! I cancelled the pre-order on my phone (where I had originally ordered it from) and then opened the Oculus app on my PC a few minutes later and it let me repurchase and then download the game.
Thanks. This worked for me. I can live without whatever gun you were supposed to get with preordering.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the developer is saying on Steam that they're going to investigate adding physical crouching, but that it's not trivial. I'll hold off and see if they manage to implement it. Otherwise I think I'm waiting for a sale. I feel like buying a modern VR first person game where you can't physically crouch is some sort of affront to the medium. Part of the dream of VR is getting to wreck my knees while playing videogames.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I played for about an hour and really really liked it! Not the most visual striking but it does nail the atmosphere.

Only thing I wonder... When you go to bed it says that supplies have dwindled and there will be more dead... Does the game essentially punish you if you play a bit more conservatively? Maybe one of the reviewers could chime in.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I played for about an hour and really really liked it! Not the most visual striking but it does nail the atmosphere.

Only thing I wonder... When you go to bed it says that supplies have dwindled and there will be more dead... Does the game essentially punish you if you play a bit more conservatively? Maybe one of the reviewers could chime in.
Yeah it sounds like it to me as well.....I dont particularly like that part because you are always limited in what you can do during the day and then the game would get increasingly harder it seems. I am only on day 4 so not sure how much it affects things yet. I apparently missed the axe in the very beginning too, hoping I can go back and get it now :O

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sounds like it to me as well.....I dont particularly like that part because you are always limited in what you can do during the day and then the game would get increasingly harder it seems. I am only on day 4 so not sure how much it affects things yet. I apparently missed the axe in the very beginning too, hoping I can go back and get it now :O

Didn't find an axe but I did find that bow but it broke after using it once lol.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Played a couple of hours, it is pretty amazing in general but I gotta say the choice to include the full janky arms and make the hands not match mine but instead lag behind to have them move more realistically depending on the weight of what I'm carrying makes it less immersive to play and more videogamey. But I guess I will get past that, the game is very fun to interact with and explore. Looking forward to getting more into it tomorrow.

(yeah no physical crouching or leaning down is a dumb decision)

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pretty odd that in all the time developing and testing the game they didn't try to lean down a bit to look under a table or something and go "shit, that's terrible". But I'm glad they're already planning to fix it.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Seems to be due to what they call "cross use", any HMD other than the Index with the Index controllers will have the wrong controllers detected. Seems they've set controllers to be selected based on HMD and not on what the actual controllers are detected as.

have to say, the dev suggestion of using the Vive wands with the Vive and the index with the index "for now" is a bit annoying.

Good thing I read this. I was about to buy. I will wait until there is a fix for this.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Played around 4 hours in 2 sessions since my PC gets nuclear hot when i play VR (even my other higher end PC in the living room) i guess VR just works your computer hard. Anyways, had a blast. There are a few issues i had like no actual crouching which causes you to duck or crouch a little bit and have the world move away from you which is a bit weird (i know it's being patched) but i love the survival aspects, the combat, physics and crafting. Can't wait to dive in more.

The crouch button should be renamed to prone because you are like a half a foot off the ground.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
When you all say you can't physically crouch, do you mean the game literally won't let you crouch down, or is it that you just don't go in to an actual sneak mode unless you press the button?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When you all say you can't physically crouch, do you mean the game literally won't let you crouch down, or is it that you just don't go in to an actual sneak mode unless you press the button?
If you try to crouch in real life your view starts to go down a bit with you but then resets so you keep standing in game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
If you try to crouch in real life your view starts to go down a bit with you but then resets so you keep standing in game.
Eesh. It always fascinates me what random but obvious things developers of VR games don't include because they either didn't think about it, or thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The install just hit 98% and then cancelled and deleted itself because "my antivirus stopped the installation."

Fuck off, Oculus Store. Cross buy isn't worth the hassle I always go through with that storefront. Time to refund and go for the Steam version.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is super cool and creepy, but man, the controls are kind of rough. Maybe it's just that I have been playing a lot of Bonework's lately, but on the Index I feel like I have to do the "grab" motion like 5 times before the game does what I want it to do. I have started making very exagerated movements so it picks things up better, but it's definitely kind of... laggy and unresponsive.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Mines downloading, interested to see if the crouching bothers me since I usually play on the couch and mostly used the button to crouch in stuff like bone works anyway

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
They have updated the game to fix the index controller issues and mixed controllers and headsets.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Played again for a bit and got to Day 5. I'm loving this. It honestly is the first game to catch the same atmosphere as RE7 which is probably why I like it so much. Tomorrow I shall go to the next area...

I will say if this game gets DLC... I'm already there.

Man... Could you imagine if this was coop? Like yeah there is games like DayZ and such but when you're in VR it all feels way more intense. Exploring the blue mansion, which isn't even that big, felt like a bigger deal then if I had been in a regular FPS or third person survival game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If anyone else hates clicking in a stick to sprint in games as much as me, and you're using index controllers, bind it to the click of the right touchpad. I always do that if it's unused, it sooo much more comfortable.

edit- explored the streets on the way to the blue mansion in the first area and by the time I got to it the bells started ringing and I had to get back to safety. Guess it'll take me multiple days to get anything done in this game with the way I like to take my time exploring.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else hates clicking in a stick to sprint in games as much as me, and you're using index controllers, bind it to the click of the right touchpad. I always do that if it's unused, it sooo much more comfortable.
I bind mine as a "touch" on the left trigger on the index controllers, all you have to do is rest your finger on the trigger and it runs. I cant remember what game had that mapped by default, but I use it on tons of games now.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Barely had time to check it out. Hopefully they can fix the crouch situation. I'd like an option for movement direction to be bound to a hand also as that has been my preference lately.

Game looks good graphically. I only did the tutorial and got to the first place to sleep. I should have more time to play over the weekend though. Hopefully it's good, and hopefully the eventual Quest version is too, cause I used crossbuy as a value proposition when buying it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done playing a quick session to check it out. First thing, is it me, or are the arms just kinda wonky with how they look and their position relative to your movement? It just seems weird compared to other games that show your entire arm. Second, this game is screaming RE7 to me. It just feels a lot like it in so many ways so far. Third, I already encountered a bug so I quit which is probably for the best right now. After I woke up to start Day 2, the framerate dropped significantly and was no longer smooth. I'm sure quitting out and restarting would have resolved it, but still a bit annoying to stumble upon so early.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit (stopped after waking up the first time) using my Quest + Link

It's working fine overall but I have two issues

1-Like many have said, having the full IK arm is dumb and doesn't add anything valuable to the game and just makes it look dumb
2-This one is a much bigger issue but it seems like the "window" for looking at the tooltip for the item I am currently holding is waaaayyy too small. So, if I'm holding an item, I will turn my hand around to try to get the pop-up to show to get details on the item but it feels like I have an arc of like 2-3 degrees where the pop-up actually shows up so I always have to move my hand in all directions for a few seconds everytime I want to get it to show up. Super annoying

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Good thing I read this. I was about to buy. I will wait until there is a fix for this.

They've pushed a hotfix for this. Haven't tried it yet myself though.

Eesh. It always fascinates me what random but obvious things developers of VR games don't include because they either didn't think about it, or thought it wouldn't be a big deal.
In this case they did think about it and it was a design choice on their part. One of the community managers mentioned on discord that most of them in house played the game seated.

Hoping they'll add this as an option, they seem somewhat open to the idea at least.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I was able to play some more last night, and now I'm totally stuck in the game.

Anyone else about 3 or more hours in and can help answer a question?

I was tasked with investigating the strange noise, which eventually lead to my log saying "kill time while the lantern gets lit". Not sure what to do here. I've ran around a bunch, attempted various methods of lighting it on fire, can't sleep till next day, etc

Spent the better part of an hour trying to figure it out but gave up. Probably something easy I missed.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I was able to play some more last night, and now I'm totally stuck in the game.

Anyone else about 3 or more hours in and can help answer a question?

I was tasked with investigating the strange noise, which eventually lead to my log saying "kill time while the lantern gets lit". Not sure what to do here. I've ran around a bunch, attempted various methods of lighting it on fire, can't sleep till next day, etc

Spent the better part of an hour trying to figure it out but gave up. Probably something easy I missed.

I'm not at that section yet but they make it clear the latern gets lit when Maria has something for you, and then you check the coffin for info. I'm assuming you have to go out and scavenge or just sleep to progress.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
In this case they did think about it and it was a design choice on their part. One of the community managers mentioned on discord that most of them in house played the game seated.

Hoping they'll add this as an option, they seem somewhat open to the idea at least.
Then I'd put this one in the "didn't think it would be a big deal" category. That's exactly the type of conclusion you come to if almost everyone on the team is playing seated, but you have to take standing players in to account as well.

Last edited: