• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Then I'd put this one in the "didn't think it would be a big deal" category. That's exactly the type of conclusion you come to if almost everyone on the team is playing seated, but you have to take standing players in to account as well.
Any games with full like weapon swinging mechanics I always play standing up. I always got the back of the chair with the back of my arms, funny to think no one played standing. I haven't found it a huge deal personally , but I would prefer the real crouching.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wonder if you have to do sidequests in the same day you get them? The key I got from that lady in the first area was gone from my pack when I needed it the next day. Days are short.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not at that section yet but they make it clear the latern gets lit when Maria has something for you, and then you check the coffin for info. I'm assuming you have to go out and scavenge or just sleep to progress.

Yeah, not sure what was different today - but I was able to sleep until morning when I couldn't last night. Thanks either way.

Game is really fun. I can't seem to lop off their heads with my axe though, is there a trick to that?

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I didn't get to play much last night but it runs well, looks great, and I am enjoying it so far. However I cannot for the life of me stop pausing the game on Index. I naturally rest my thumb on the touchpads so grabbing or squeezing anything makes me accidentally pause the game. I can't say this is the game's fault though, I'm still getting used to the Index controllers. I wish there was an option to adjhust the hold-to-open time or chane it to a double or triple click to open the pause menu. But whatever, I'll adapt.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think I'm going to refund until physical crouching is implemented. After reading dev comments, due to the way some of the gameplay elements are tied to the current implementation of crouch makes it sound like it could be a while before they can implement it if ever. I could live with it if it was just that sneak wasn't activated, but almost completely eliminating the ability to move on the y-axis is a baffling decision to me. Again, I find it weird how often stuff that seems to be VR 101 at this point slips through during development on VR games. Definitely going to keep updated on the game though and jump back in if it ever does get updated with it. Sounds great otherwise.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Game is really fun. I can't seem to lop off their heads with my axe though, is there a trick to that?
Wide horizontal swing to the neck does it for me. My game stutters for an instant every time I do it though, and that ruins it a bit.

Honestly, I think I'm going to refund until physical crouching is implemented. After reading dev comments, due to the way some of the gameplay elements are tied to the current implementation of crouch makes it sound like it could be a while before they can implement it if ever. I could live with it if it was just that sneak wasn't activated, but almost completely eliminating the ability to move on the y-axis is a baffling decision to me. Again, I find it weird how often stuff that seems to be VR 101 at this point slips through during development on VR games. Definitely going to keep updated on the game though and jump back in if it ever does get updated with it. Sounds great otherwise.
I'm loving the game and I really want to keep playing but I'm thinking of putting it on hold too and playing it later when they fix and adjust a bunch of little stuff, so I don't miss out on a superior experience by playing it too early.

Maybe I could fill the void with something like Boneworks, that I skipped at launch because I was new to VR and I didn't have VR legs.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the most tense stealth games I've played, especially when infiltrating Tower bases and not only having to account for the human enemies but any zombies that pop up. Those zombie numbers really grow quite a bit the more the days pass in-game. Nothing like walking into a darkened home or warehouse to suddenly spy a huge group of them just chillin there and then collectively swarming you.

You're toast after getting shot 2-3 times and the enemy AI is pretty good at tracking you down and doing seemingly random patrols through the area so you're pretty much always on alert, there aren't many safe areas to hide. Using the bolt action rifle is an exercise in tense precision, and it doesn't help that when reloading the thing wobbles around a bit. Making every shot count and all that :P

Bow and arrow is probably the most flexible and economical weapon seeing as you can use arrows for melee kills in addition to usually getting at least two shots out of each one until they break. The explosive arrows are fun as hell too.

I've mostly been doing the Tower cache missions and am kinda stuck on the second water pump generator mission (the one with the lumberyard and cannery), the first time I came to the map it was chock-full of friendly npcs and was doing an optional quest to find out where the generator is, but it ended up being broken for me. You're supposed to give a letter to a rival faction's leader but the letter wasn't in my inventory when I went to deliver it (positive I placed it in and saw the stored notification too). This was before I knew I could just get myself killed and restart the level with nothing changed on the map, so I ended up going back to the bus, sleeping, and when I returned not a single damn non zombie was on the map anymore, and now their numbers are just insane making it quite difficult to explore and figure out where the generator is. Oh well that's part of the challenge. This game really doesn't pull any punches with its systems and I like that.

I was a bit irritated by the progression yesterday and it felt a bit slow for my liking but now that I've unlocked more items and weapons the gameplay loop is really starting to shine, certainly one of the strongest VR games we've seen so far. One thing I'd maybe tweak is making the days just a bit longer though I get it's there for time as a resource and added tension, though sometimes its just frustrating when trying to explore and find something that doesn't really have many hints as to its location.

Overall this is a solid 9/10 for me so far, Skydance did a great job.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the most tense stealth games I've played, especially when infiltrating Tower bases and not only having to account for the human enemies but any zombies that pop up. Those zombie numbers really grow quite a bit the more the days pass in-game. Nothing like walking into a darkened home or warehouse to suddenly spy a huge group of them just chillin there and then collectively swarming you.

You're toast after getting shot 2-3 times and the enemy AI is pretty good at tracking you down and doing seemingly random patrols through the area so you're pretty much always on alert, there aren't many safe areas to hide. Using the bolt action rifle is an exercise in tense precision, and it doesn't help that when reloading the thing wobbles around a bit. Making every shot count and all that :P

Bow and arrow is probably the most flexible and economical weapon seeing as you can use arrows for melee kills in addition to usually getting at least two shots out of each one until they break. The explosive arrows are fun as hell too.

I've mostly been doing the Tower cache missions and am kinda stuck on the second water pump generator mission (the one with the lumberyard and cannery), the first time I came to the map it was chock-full of friendly npcs and was doing an optional quest to find out where the generator is, but it ended up being broken for me. You're supposed to give a letter to a rival faction's leader but the letter wasn't in my inventory when I went to deliver it (positive I placed it in and saw the stored notification too). This was before I knew I could just get myself killed and restart the level with nothing changed on the map, so I ended up going back to the bus, sleeping, and when I returned not a single damn non zombie was on the map anymore, and now their numbers are just insane making it quite difficult to explore and figure out where the generator is. Oh well that's part of the challenge. This game really doesn't pull any punches with its systems and I like that.

I was a bit irritated by the progression yesterday and it felt a bit slow for my liking but now that I've unlocked more items and weapons the gameplay loop is really starting to shine, certainly one of the strongest VR games we've seen so far. One thing I'd maybe tweak is making the days just a bit longer though I get it's there for time as a resource and added tension, though sometimes its just frustrating when trying to explore and find something that doesn't really have many hints as to its location.

The note for that quest and I think others are in your journal

-edit - any note or drawing you find

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The note for that quest and I think others are in your journal

-edit - any note or drawing you find

Thanks, found it. I knew about the drawings for the Tower cache missions but figured letters would be in the quest inventory part of the backpack. Wish the game had a few saves from different points because now it's gone and all the people on that map are now zombies. Oh well, now I know for a future playthrough.

Dec 23, 2017
Finally had some time to play and I gotta say, I came out really impressed.

I didn't get very far, maybe played for about an hour or so and did the first side quest.

I really like the feel of stabbing zombies, its got ''oomph'' to it. I also like how everything just...works, I like the controls.

Another interesting tidbit is how you have virtual arms, but not a virtual body. I thought that was a really cool idea.

Some games you either have floating hands, or floating hands with the forearm showing, or an entire VR body.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
...but on the Index I feel like I have to do the "grab" motion like 5 times before the game does what I want it to do...

I'm having the same problem with the grab motion. The game seems to detect that I'm grabbing the controller just fine because I can put my hand in a fist everytime I try it but when I try to actually grab something from the environment it seems to just ignore it most of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having the same problem with the grab motion. The game seems to detect that I'm grabbing the controller just fine because I can put my hand in a fist everytime I try it but when I try to actually grab something from the environment it seems to just ignore it most of the time.

Yeah I played even more today and found it to be fairly frustrating. The controller rumbles so you know that the game sees your hand is in the correct hotspot, but when you go to actually grab stuff you make a fist and nothing happens. It helps to first fully open your hand so that it is flat palm and then close around the thing you are trying to grab fully and then pulling away.

I'm so used to how smooth Boneworks makes this stuff feel that the stilted controls of saints and sinners is kinda sad

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
"alpha" of physical crouching just got pushed out as a hotfix, plus some other fixes:

For everyone:​

• Handgun/Pistol angle adjustments, two-handed grips on one-handed firearms now stay level

...and for those who have demanded it:​
    • An Alpha version of Physical Crouching!

This an early Work-in-Progress and there are definitely some flaws, but the early results are so promising we wanted to share it now. Also, we want to ask your help to make it better. So...

The feature is still in active development, and you'll have to hack the INI to expose it.

Here's how:

• Open your GameUserSettings.ini file which in typical Windows 10 installs will be here:
    C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\TWD\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini
    • Note: The AppData folder may be hidden, but you can reveal it via Folder Options from your Start Menu
  • FInd the line that reads:
    /Script/TWD.TWDGameUserSettings
  • Right below that, insert the following: bPhysicalCrouchEnabled=True
  • Run the game, give it a whirl.

Some Caveats
:

• Start each play session by hitting ResetHMD/Pause from a comfortable standing position. If anything gets weird, do it again.
  • If you find you have to crouch too far or not far enough you can edit CrouchDistance=32.000 (found in the same file), to any number you find comfortable. Be sure to post any mods you make that make it feel better.

Known Flaws
:

• Sometimes pops a bit when entering a crawlspace. We're already working on it.
  • You can find some bits of level geometry that pop you down when you crawl near them.

Post about it! Tell us what's working and what's not, post videos of awkward moments, or of beautiful ones. Everything we hear helps us make it better, and believe me
we are listening
!

Last, we want to give a huge shout-out to everyone who pushed us to make this happen. You were right - it's going to be amazing! With your help, we'll get it there.

You'll need to tweak ini-settings for the physical crouching.

Not perfect, but at least something, do read the known flaws and caveats in the notes.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Well I already beat it lol that flew by a lot quicker than I expected it to. I don't think I reached the second tier in unlocks for any category for crafting so there's a good chuck of buffs and weapons I missed out on. Time for a second playthrough with an emphasis on scavenging.

As for my ending....
I chose to flood the whole thing for the hell of it, sorry Casey! Not sure if I could've prevented the woman from ringing the bell despite my dialogue choices. Not much of an ending with that choice so I'm eager to experience the others. I'm also bummed we never got to explore the Tower, I assumed that would be the final area with how prominent its presence is in the skyline.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I have an Index, Pimax and Quest. I was thinking of buying on Oculus for cross buy. But I'm assuming unlike Steam, Oculus even with Revive doesn't work great with Index.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
"alpha" of physical crouching just got pushed out as a hotfix, plus some other fixes:

Not perfect, but at least something, do read the known flaws and caveats in the notes.

Was the crouching the biggest problem for most people? I haven't picked it up yet but was thinking of waiting for some patches. Anything else concerning?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a bunch of games on Oculus to use with Revive on the Index and it's always been pretty seamless.
Hmmm maybe the API for control options. Lend proper support across. I'm just surprised, as I'm assuming Oculus is pretty staunch in their lack of support across platforms. They are the closed ecosystems platform for the most part.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I heard you basically can't do anything but turn your head, like you can't even lean or anything, is that true?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Seriously you can't crouch, can you at least like Dodge under etc? How restrictive is it?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Fwiw those who tested it so far say the hotfix for crouching has been great.

Haven't had the chance to test myself yet.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ok that's a nice surprise! Judging by their posts I was thinking it was gonna take them many weeks to push out any sort of fix for the Y axis.

Will test the alpha fix later.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Seriously you can't crouch, can you at least like Dodge under etc? How restrictive is it?
I haven't actually played it but from what I understand it's aggressive enough that leaning can cause the world to move up. For some people even looking down was enough.

This is great to hear. Looks like it won't be as huge of a lift as it was looking to be.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017

It's interesting how quickly an NPC turns into a walker after killing them, and something I routinely forget. I was doing the mission where
you had to either rescue the tower NPC's brother, or kill him. I opted to put a knife through his head, and then joined the Reclaimed group as we ambushed the Tower house.
It was super intense and I barely survived. I start exploring the house looking for bandages only to have them pop up as walkers after a few minutes and start coming at me. I yelled out "I just fucking killed you!'.

I do wish the guns were more satisfying to shoot. They lack any punch audio wise, and thanks to the weird gun angle just don't feel great overall compared to other VR shooters. Thankfully the melee combat is excellent, honestly the best I've played. Glad to hear the bow & arrow is solid, as I was going to work on crafting that next.

NPC's make me nervous because I have no clue if they are just going to start firing on me or not. :/

Regardless of it's flaws, the game excels in every other area and I find myself wanting to make excuses to jump back in as much as possible. Really excited for that alpha fix for crouching to hit the production version.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do NPCs come to life again if you shiv them in the brain like you would a zombie?

So far my first encounter with the death system was when I underestimated the blast radius of a gas canister and blew myself and a bunch of zombies up. Another death I was going for a stab against a hostile human, when I died my knife went flying and hit her right in the forehead.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Crouch fix can be a bit buggy in some specific places when you're trying to crouch while hugging some geometry and the game snaps to sneak mode but in general it's working nicely! I can now lean down intuitively to look closer at stuff on the ground or open low drawers.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Crouch fix can be a bit buggy in some specific places when you're trying to crouch while hugging some geometry and the game snaps to sneak mode but in general it's working nicely! I can now lean down intuitively to look closer at stuff on the ground or open low drawers.

Great to hear, will give it a go later this afternoon.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

anyone experience this? I wonder if his sound setup fucked up in the best way possible at the right moment or if that really is a feature in the game

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So I've gone through the first game area. Did the side quest for the first NPC while I was there.

This seems really promising. The crouching alpha fix is appreciated but I see why it's an alpha. The floor height doesn't quite seem right no matter what I do but I can pretend my I game character is a few inches taller than me.

Crafting as a mechanic in a game like this is a great idea, cause it encourages searching etc. I love having to reload the revolver bullet by bullet too. That's fun stuff.

It feels more polished than boneworks even with the crouching. I'd peg it as a AA title so far. I'm intrigued to see how they pull this off on the Quest too, but having played more of it, I see that the environments are on the smaller side so it should be doable.

What it most reminds me of, however, is ZombiU. That's no bad thing. But with the hub / levels thing and general atmosphere, it's hitting those notes.

Playing with link on my Quest using the official cable, for the record and macroblocking aside, it doesn't feel like I'm making any concessions other than IQ.

I guess the time mechanic will put some people off but I don't hate it at all. Going back to get the stuff from the sidequest was fairly tight, time wise for me, and it was thrilling to only just make it to the skiff in time. I haven't found much in the way of food stuffs, and I made a bad crafting decision, so we shall see how boned I am as I continue, but so far, it's rather good.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This seems really promising. The crouching alpha fix is appreciated but I see why it's an alpha. The floor height doesn't quite seem right no matter what I do but I can pretend my I game character is a few inches taller than me.
Have you tried messing around with the height reset thing? It's right stick click on the index not sure if the same on the oculus.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Heh, did a quest that let me loot the place of some NPCs as a reward, every time I made a noise they still freaked out like I was stealthing around.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
ok, the physical crouching fix is a step in the right direction, can lean without it getting janky, though it has a threshold, where it'll transition your view into the "button pressed" crouching level, which I don't get the reason for at all. SkyrimVR basically just had a threshold for when you were stealth, and when not, without needing to transition your view.
Another mechanic that sort of "transitions" your view is climbing, where it'll "transition" your view to where it thinks you want to go, like around a corner. Another mechanic that other games have "solved" for instance in Climbey. Not sure about devs trying to reinvent mechanics that have a workable solutions already.

Other than that, after almost two hours, the game is opening up for me. I need to get into the crafting a bit more. How's everyone getting along with scrap found? can you use them without much thought in crafting, or do you need to be stingy with the supplies?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Got the backpack upgrade which was nice. But it was followed by my first encounter with humans. They're dumb BUT can be quite deadly. Nearly died since you become so frantic to get shots off and then you have to stop to reload...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to disable the always on health/stamina UI when you are crouching? It's pretty distracting

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to disable the always on health/stamina UI when you are crouching? It's pretty distracting
Not that I've found, it's been brought up by a lot of people on their discord to have option to disable it, or move it out of view a bit so it's not so in your face, so hopefully soon.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
One thing I sort of love/hate is that the torch/left holster are a bit close to one another, and sometimes I'm reaching for the torch and because I don't see the light I grab again, and what's happened is I've picked up my weapon in the left holster and then dropped it. Had a horrible situation earlier where my right hand knife broke, and I reached for my left hand one and.... there was nothing there. I'd emptied out my backpack because I was just going to the church near the graveyard and so I had no other weapons.

Ended up trying to punch the zombie to death but that doesn't work apparently, so I just shoved it away and ran all the way back to the bus to arm up.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I sort of love/hate is that the torch/left holster are a bit close to one another, and sometimes I'm reaching for the torch and because I don't see the light I grab again, and what's happened is I've picked up my weapon in the left holster and then dropped it. Had a horrible situation earlier where my right hand knife broke, and I reached for my left hand one and.... there was nothing there. I'd emptied out my backpack because I was just going to the church near the graveyard and so I had no other weapons.

Ended up trying to punch the zombie to death but that doesn't work apparently, so I just shoved it away and ran all the way back to the bus to arm up.
Yeah. The positions of the weapon and item slots aren't perfect. They should have a positioning seteuo in the tutorial where they ask you to place your hands at your side and then subsequently move to the other positions and calibrate from there.

Hmm I'm going to send that as a suggestion in their discord I think.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man so I think the game is waiting for me to do something but it's being ridiculous difficult for me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

So I need to get the intel at the Ward Tower base, but the picture isn't massively clear and I'm really struggling to move around inside the base undetected. I managed to sneak in round the back through the radio studios, and then got through to the warehouse, but from there I ended up getting killed. Am I headed in the right direction or am I making this much harder than it needs to be?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Man so I think the game is waiting for me to do something but it's being ridiculous difficult for me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

So I need to get the intel at the Ward Tower base, but the picture isn't massively clear and I'm really struggling to move around inside the base undetected. I managed to sneak in round the back through the radio studios, and then got through to the warehouse, but from there I ended up getting killed. Am I headed in the right direction or am I making this much harder than it needs to be?

There's a hole in their fence on the opposite side of their base perimeter from where the studio entrance is, there are a couple enemies here you can pick off relatively safely without alerting others and then you can sneak around behind some stacks of lumber. From there you should see a garage entrance on your right that has 2-3 enemies inside, don't go in there, instead stay crouched and go past the garages (note that there sometimes is one patrolling guard here so be mindful of their position, they do a loop in and out of the garage entrances). After the second garage entrance on your right is passed you should see a smaller dimly lit garage in front of you, that's where the intel is. Stay crouched and just make a beeline for it. It's about 50-50 if you get spotted here so prepare to hole up in there to fend a few off as they track you down. When the enemies stop coming grab the intel (don't forget the weapon recipe on the same table) and make your way out the same way you came in.

This is definitely one of the most difficult Tower cache areas to infiltrate due to sheer numbers of Tower soldiers though it ended up being one of the most satisfyingly tense sections in the whole game for me due to just how vigilant you have to be at every moment and make every shot count.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone know when the game saves? I've had to redo some stuff every time I loaded the game back up.

Also just did a section where I think it wanted to introduce me to using gut zombies to blend in with the zombies but I didn't see the guts, only the crowd of zombies below a window and lobbed explosives out of the window, wiping them all out... Guess that's the kind of thing that makes this a "0451 type game"

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
not sure, I know it saves when you go to sleep, but not sure if there are other save points like getting quest/finishing quest or loading into a new zone.
It's one of the suggestions many have had in the discord, to be more clear when the game saves.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when the game saves? I've had to redo some stuff every time I loaded the game back up.

Also just did a section where I think it wanted to introduce me to using gut zombies to blend in with the zombies but I didn't see the guts, only the crowd of zombies below a window and lobbed explosives out of the window, wiping them all out... Guess that's the kind of thing that makes this a "0451 type game"
not sure, I know it saves when you go to sleep, but not sure if there are other save points like getting quest/finishing quest or loading into a new zone.
It's one of the suggestions many have had in the discord, to be more clear when the game saves.

whenever you load into a zone and whenever you sleep it saves

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
whenever you load into a zone and whenever you sleep it saves
I'm pretty sure I did my crafting, slept and then quit but when I loaded it up again I was at the point where I just arrived back to the Resting Place. Either way that's pretty annoying, the game just tells you "you'll lose your most recent progress".