• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RoadtoVR: 9/10
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a slightly tuned-down RPG that's just begging to be bigger in size, although it didn't bite off too much in its quest to deliver an engrossing story, excellent physics-based zombie killing action, and an immersive atmosphere that feels as gritty and deadly serious as The Walking Dead comic books.

UploadVR: 4/5
Despite its minor issues like relatively boring environments, repetitive mission structure, and human AI that leaves a bit to be desired, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is easily the best zombie game in VR to date. The shooting mechanics feel heavy and impactful and melee is extremely violent in just the right ways. There's plenty of depth between the survival systems and crafting mechanics and it packs a large and dense adventure unlike anything else out there.

IGN: 9/10
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a noteworthy step forward for VR gaming, proving that a Deus Ex-like Action-RPG can feel right at home in a headset. Every one of its many interwoven systems clearly has a level of thought and care behind it, swirling survival horror and roleplaying staples together with nuance. Even though character customization can feel limited and the story is a bit short, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a fantastic example of what VR can be.

VRFocus: 4/5
From the very beginning, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners offers a satisfying zombie experience that's hard to match. Titles like Arizona Sunshine easily fill that need for straight-up arcade action, for when you want a living dead apocalypse with a bit more depth then The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is your new go-to videogame. With a good 15+ hours of content depending on how slow and methodical you are, the atmosphere and superb physics make a nice cohesive whole.

WindowsCentral: 4/5
Folks have been clamoring for "real" games on VR platforms for years, and The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners fills that gap in every way. As a full-length game, this single-player action RPG provides solid, intuitive mechanics, visceral combat, and an open world with lots to see and do. The detailed graphics, realistic physics, multiple ways to play and solve solutions, and the robust scavenging and crafting systems will keep you coming back for more until you've seen it all. It's not Fallout-level deep, but it's far more than what we've come to expect in the world of VR.

thesixthaxis: 9/10
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is an excellent VR game that stands out from a lot of what the medium tends to be associated with. The weight of the combat combined with the constant worry that the undead and the living both bring combine for an incredibly gratifying experience. Throw in crafting, the solid writing and meaningful quests and you've got a pretty special game on your hands. This is definitely worth a look if you can stomach more zombies. I mean, kill them, don't eat them.

Destructoid: 7.5/10
Despite some technical misgivings, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners honors the Walking Dead name: a rarity in the current climate. It's also cemented itself as one of the leading "full" VR experiences to date. It might not sell headsets, but it'll be a hell of a pickup for current VR-heads.

Everyeye.it: 7.7/10
The main objective is that of any survival: gathering resources, managing one's psychophysical health, improve their crafting skills to build progressively more lethal weapons and gradually more effective medikit. As classic as this structure is, Virtual Reality amplifies emotions and sensations in an exceptional way: vibrating a lethal blow to a zombie and then forcibly detaching it from the club that we stuck in its skull, climbing the external wall of a house to surprise us the survivors barricaded upstairs, and still carefully patrolling an abandoned building, immersed in total darkness and surrounded by the screams of the wandering, are moments that are not easily forgotten. Too bad that Saints & Sinners tends to become a bit repetitive, far from the excellence of other products that populate the VR stores (think of the aforementioned Asgard's Wrath, but also in Stormland and Boneworks), certainly less brilliant in terms of variety and production commitment. It remains true that Virtual Reality reaffirms its merits, including that of being able to give a new flavor and unprecedented vigor also to the experiences that we believed we had already metabolized.

jeuxvideo: 6.5/10
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners deploys treasures of good ideas unfortunately not always deepened or well calibrated. With its visceral, brutal, stressful and ultra credible battles, the title of Skydance manages to give the player the experience of The Walking Dead in a fairly new and immersive way, especially on the combat side, the real success of the game. , its poorly proportioned difficulty, the big problems of human artificial intelligence, the few bugs lying around here and there, the too great homogeneity of the backgrounds and a receding story prevent it from exploiting the full potential of a gameplay that it , definitely worth a visit.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a video of a guy playing this and it looked pretty impressive. If it was coming to PSVR I would definitely give it a shot.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Played about two hours tonight. Really loving it. Just creeping around new Orleans avoiding zombies is amazing and super tense. Combat so far as been fun and satisfying thanks to physics and weapon variety (love the gore and dismemberment). Lots of really cool touches, i noticed at one part when it are in underground tunnels, if you talk or shout in real life you hear it echo in game, tripped me out when it happened unexpectedly. Story and npc interactions seem interesting, though im still pretty early and haven't seen a ton. If it can keep it feeling fresh for the rest of the game it'll be easily one of my top vr games and top zombie games in general.

Only thing holding me back is some tech issues, I had it freeze on me while playing a few times. Headset goes dead and the computer screen shows the game frozen. Had to do a full restart to get it back to working, not sure what's causing the crashes.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Is this just coming out out for PC based VR or is there a chance this may come to Quest??

Looks really good, glad to see more technical stuff coming to VR

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, I'll definitely pick it up. Too bad I can't use BB Credit on Steam GC's.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've played maybe an hour and a half and I'm genuinely low-key blown away by how good it feels to play at the moment. They've really thought through all these little interactions to ground you in the world, like the torch being mounted on your chest but only having horizontal movement, so if you want to properly look around you have to sacrifice a free hand to hold it. The melee is the first time in a VR game I've felt any sort of weight or impact, and having it based on arc of movement rather than speed is a really smart idea and I'm not smacking my hands into walls or anything like every other melee VR game.

It also looks pretty great and is creepy without being unplayable, which I'm also really appreciating. I just hope it keeps up the quality as it goes.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've got too much to play right now even if we don't include vr... Will get this at some point though now I've found my vr legs.

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed you can't crouch in this game which is a very strange design miss. Think I'll wait to see what updates come. Looks really interesting though.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from Boneworks, it does suck a bit to not be able to interact with almost everything but I understand that such a thing is not always possible. Will also echo Karak's complaint that the gun sounds are weak.

However, the overall polish and the gameplay loop will definitely keep me coming back to it. Hopefully they patch in the physical crouching as well. Weird omission.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
They've been saying it'd be hard to implement, but they're considering it (physical crouching), I'd be happy if they at least let you lean, as it is now, if you lean forward to look closely at a thing (basically going lower than their set "floor" of your HMD), it'll reset your view back to "standing" height.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They've been saying it'd be hard to implement, but they're considering it (physical crouching), I'd be happy if they at least let you lean, as it is now, if you lean forward to look closely at a thing (basically going lower than their set "floor" of your HMD), it'll reset your view back to "standing" height.

That's...bizzare.

Still gonna cop

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Will also echo Karak's complaint that the gun sounds are weak.
Agreed, my previous zombie game was H3VR Rotwieners, when you fire something like the AWM it sounds like the entire map knows what you just did. The gun I've shot in TWD was so quiet it really didn't sound like something that'd alert nearby enemies (though I just assume it does, I avoid using guns on zombies so far). I also encountered tins-on-a-string traps, you know, those things meant to make a noise and the noises I made by cutting them or detaching and dropping the bottles were so quiet I'm not sure they actually alert enemies.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, my previous zombie game was H3VR Rotwieners, when you fire something like the AWM it sounds like the entire map knows what you just did. The gun I've shot in TWD was so quiet it really didn't sound like something that'd alert nearby enemies (though I just assume it does, I avoid using guns on zombies so far). I also encountered tins-on-a-string traps, you know, those things meant to make a noise and the noises I made by cutting them or detaching and dropping the bottles were so quiet I'm not sure they actually alert enemies.

The sound mixing and design (outside of the melee sounds which are great) is baffling in general lol

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

They patched in a test version of physical crouching in the newest patch. Patch notes detail how to enable it.

Decided to pick it up and having a lot of fun with it. Though I need to be more careful when holding a zombie's head to knife and not hit my two controllers together lol

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.ign.com

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Review - IGN

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners swirls survival horror and roleplaying staples together with nuance.
another glowing review

IGN: 9/10
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a noteworthy step forward for VR gaming, proving that a Deus Ex-like Action-RPG can feel right at home in a headset. Every one of its many interwoven systems clearly has a level of thought and care behind it, swirling survival horror and roleplaying staples together with nuance. Even though character customization can feel limited and the story is a bit short, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a fantastic example of what VR can be.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
UploadVR: 4/5

Despite its minor issues like relatively boring environments, repetitive mission structure, and human AI that leaves a bit to be desired, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is easily the best zombie game in VR to date. The shooting mechanics feel heavy and impactful and melee is extremely violent in just the right ways. There's plenty of depth between the survival systems and crafting mechanics and it packs a large and dense adventure unlike anything else out there.