• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monopolies are amazing and good for the consumer, right?!

But oh no, you have to download another launcher - The horror.

Well first of all, Steam never had a monopoly to begin with, and second the "it's just another launcher" bullshit has been debunked over and over again.

Tell that to people who no longer have an easy way of playing this on their operating system, or who cannot afford it due to poor regional pricing, or those who were previously using cloud saves or a custom controller configuration, or were playing it on their couch through BPM.

When core features are tied to the launcher, not all launchers are even.

Fragmentation is the only way Epic are "competing", and I put that in quotes because all fragmentation does is create smaller monopolies. That's not competition.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?! You really want me to elaborate why steam is a monopoly?! Anyway i have seen it all. Tribalism over a launcher - Hahahaha, can't make this shit up.
We don't have any issues with GOG or Itch. Most of us don't have any problems with the likes of Origin either.

We have specific problems with Epic, and if you had a second to stop and read why you might understand, instead of flinging shit around and accusing us of tribalism.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really wanna compare that? That's a stretch. And you don't have to end every sentence with a lmao, brat.
Not a stretch at all. Paying out exclusivity and pulling out the game from other stores is the literal definition of anti-competition. You're not competing at all here: they're forcing one choice, one store, one price.
Competition would be having it available everywhere with all the stores competing on price and features.

I mean, imagine being the kind of dumbass saying "competition is good" here

Yeah now as a consumer:

I have one single option to get this game. No choices whatsoever
If I'm Chinese I can't even install the launcher
I get shittier prices
I'm now on a store that allows a whopping two refunds per year

Imagine being the kind of dumbass calling this "good"

Lmao

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Monopolies are amazing and good for the consumer, right?!

But oh no, you have to download another launcher - The horror.

What you call monopolies gave us:
-Free steam key generation for devs which means a LOT of 3rd party stores such as Humble Bundle, GreenManGaming, Voidu, Razer Game Store all competiting in term of price, yet not skimping on the service since we still get steam keys to redeem on one big solid ecosystem.
-Lot of fonctionnalities that made PC gaming move forward such as Steam Input, SteamVR, Family Sharing, no online paywall, Big Picture Mode, Inhome streaming, Mod workshop with one click.
-Open source stuff such as a free gaming OS with SteamOS, contributions to open source libraries for Linux, Steam Proton allowing Windows titles to run outside of windows.
-A big ecosystem without ostracism against indies, which led to the PC market gaining a second life and publishers releasing their games on PC again. If today, I can play japanese RPGs on PC, that's because there was a big "monopoly" where everyone was to buy games. Yep, that's why I can play DQXI on PC today.

What you call competition brought us so far:
- New closed standards with UWP which prevents from touching files
- Game exclusivity bullshit on a platform that is supposed to be open (Which means no price competition)
- Broken launchers (Bethesda, if you can read me)
- Fragmentation between some multiplayer titles despite being a PC game (Dying Light on GoG, Call of Duty on Windows Store)
- Dead games and dead services (Games for Windows Live. Remember that one ?)
- Harsh conditions for refunds (Origin limited to selected titles, GoG limited to the game not working for you, Epic limited to 2-no-question-refunds per account).

So... YES ????
What you call monopoly has been a blessing for PC gaming as a whole and even gaming as a whole.

What you call competition has been a disaster.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
Not a stretch at all. Paying out exclusivity and pulling out the game from other stores is the literal definition of anti-competition. You're not competing at all here: they're forcing one choice, one store, one price.
Competition would be having it available everywhere with all the stores competing on price and features.

I mean, imagine being the kind of dumbass saying "competition is good" here

Yeah now as a consumer:

I have one single option to get this game. No choices whatsoever
If I'm Chinese I can't even install the launcher
I get shittier prices
I'm now on a store that allows a whopping two refunds per year

Imagine being the kind of dumbass calling this "good"

Lmao
Yeah, you could argue that. However don't you think that will force valves hands and as a result will benefit users in the long run?! The way you try to bring your point across. Pathetic. No need for thse childish insults.

Last edited:

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would advise against installing the Epic Store.
It seems to have spyware, I saw IP addresses in my router log that went to China.
Unless it was my Cloudflare, idk.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you could argue that. However don't you think that will force valves hands and as a result will benefit users in the long run?! You are unaware of that and i feel bad for you. Especially the way you try to bring your point across. Pathetic.
Force what, exactly? For them to match Epic and start paying for exclusives, not supporting Linux, no regional pricing? Why the fuck would I want that?

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, you could argue that. However don't you think that will force valves hands and as a result will benefit users in the long run?! You are unaware of that and i feel bad for you. Especially the way you try to bring your point across. Pathetic.
No not really it doesn't force Valves hand as valve doesn't really care too much about a couple games here and there. Epic could have done this the right way and been much more open to developers and nabbed more games and not games stolen off of other stores.

But they didn't and that's the problem. Valve has no interest in buying games off of one platform onto another or buying it's steam exclusivity.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well first of all, Steam never had a monopoly to begin with, and second the "it's just another launcher" bullshit has been debunked over and over again.

Tell that to people who no longer have an easy way of playing this on their operating system, or who cannot afford it due to poor regional pricing, or those who were previously using cloud saves or a custom controller configuration, or were playing it on their couch through BPM.

When core features are tied to the launcher, not all lauchers are even.

Fragmentation is the only way Epic are "competing", and I put that in quotes because all fragmentation does is create smaller monopolies. That's not competition.
How is it Epic's fault that you are so dependent on another company ?

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you could argue that. However don't you think that will force valves hands and as a result will benefit users in the long run?! The way you try to bring your point across. Pathetic. No need for thse childish insults.

Force Valve to do what exactly?
Buy exclusives?

People say they want Valve to "get their shit together" but never delve on what they want Valve to do

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you even understand what a monopoly is? It's like suggesting Nintendo is paying to secure a monopoly for getting Bayonetta 2.

Do you?

monopoly
/məˈnɒp(ə)li/
noun
noun: monopoly; plural noun: monopolies; noun: Monopoly
  1. 1.
    the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting"
    • a company or group having exclusive control over a commodity or service.
      "passenger services were largely in the hands of state-owned monopolies"
    • a commodity or service in the exclusive control of a company or group.
      "electricity, gas, and water were considered to be natural monopolies"
    • the exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something.
      "men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love"

Does Valve have an exclusive posession of PC gaming before hand? I bought Witcher 3 on GOG instead of Steam. Didn't know this was possible with a Monopoly...

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People chosed their ecosystem for the service. That's the difference.
Calling people depended because they want system wide controller system, library sharing, refunds or easy mods is far fetched.

I discovered the other day that you can't add Epic games to the Steam launcher and use Big Picture with it.
Literally cancer on the level of Windows 10 Store

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you?

monopoly
/məˈnɒp(ə)li/
noun
noun: monopoly; plural noun: monopolies; noun: Monopoly
  1. 1.
    the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
    "the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting"
    • a company or group having exclusive control over a commodity or service.
      "passenger services were largely in the hands of state-owned monopolies"
    • a commodity or service in the exclusive control of a company or group.
      "electricity, gas, and water were considered to be natural monopolies"
    • the exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something.
      "men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love"

Does Valve have an exclusive posession of PC gaming before hand? I bought Witcher 3 on GOG instead of Steam. Didn't know this was possible with a Monopoly...

One game does not equal a monopoly for their service. A monopoly is to create an unfair or imbalance in competing markets. You guys seems to be going totally off the deep end to be forced to download a free launcher for one game.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess: You are "afraid" of store exclusives etc.

Please see my first reply to you where I detail some problems.

For store exclusivity, I don't mind it too much when the game is developed by the store holder. I don't have any issues with Fortnite being exclusive for example. However, bought exclusivity of third party games removes consumer choice, and in this case also involves the mass removal of features (cloud saves, advanced controller support, technical support forums, a sensible returns policy), and makes it effectively unavailable for many people (Linux users, Chinese citizens, any country effected by the regional pricing issues).

How is it Epic's fault that you are so dependent on another company ?

That's what you are taking from that? I'm not dependent on any company, but that is a simple list of features that are lost by being exclusive to the Epic store. That is their responsibility if they actually want to compete in the same market instead of strongarming it.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please see my first reply to you where I detail some problems.

For store exclusivity, I don't mind it too much when the game is developed by the store holder. I don't have any issues with Fortnite being exclusive for example. However, bought exclusivity of third party games removes consumer choice, and in this case also involves the mass removal of features (cloud saves, advanced controller support, technical support forums, a sensible returns policy), and makes it effectively unavailable for many people (Linux users, Chinese citizens, any country effected by the regional pricing issues).

That's what you are taking from that? I'm not dependent on any company, but that is a simple list of features that are lost by being exclusive to the Epic store. That is their responsibility if they actually want to compete in the same market instead of strongarming it.

Two questions,

1. Would this game have been released without Epic getting involved, kind of like the excuse made for Street Fighter V and the exclusive manner it was released in?

2. Will this remain exclusive to the Epic store forever?

You do realize Rockstar has their own launcher, right?

Yes they do and part of the PC community is going to be up in arms when that game also skips Steam. The entitl;ement is not going to be limited to Epic. We see this behavior for Windows Store too. Some think every game should come to Steam.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?! You really want me to elaborate why steam is a monopoly?! Anyway i have seen it all. Tribalism over a launcher - Hahahaha, can't make this shit up.

Please explain how Steam is/was a monopoly. Please.

One game does not equal a monopoly for their service. A monopoly is to create an unfair or imbalance in competing markets. You guys seems to be going totally off the deep end to be forced to download a free launcher for one game.

That's not what a monopoly is. Nor is it what Valve has done. Do you think services like itch.io, GOG, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net, Humble, and Epic would be able to exist if things were so horrendously imbalanced?

Purchasing exclusivity rings much closer to monopoly than Steam's dominance in digital distribution.

Last edited:

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Epic currently has like 7 third party games exclusive to their store and is showing no sign of stopping.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Welp another game to cross off the list, Tim Sweeney can fuck off with his hypocrisy, 3rd party moneyhatting exclusives do not belong on PC..

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic currently has like 7 third party games exclusive to their store and is showing no sign of stopping.

But it will slow down because they cannot afford to keep paying, unless of course we look at it from the developer who chooses to be there because of the increased split. The reason why Epic will be forced to stop is because they will not be able to have a monopoly in the market. Which is my point. A monopoly would be something like Windows and using that leverage to put hardship on anyone else trying to compete.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I've bought all oranges in the world. I'll not create a small store called B Orange Store and selling it at the price I choose. People have no other options to get oranges. this is totally not a monopoly I promise.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yes they do and part of the PC community is going to be up in arms when that game also skips Steam. The entitl;ement is not going to be limited to Epic. We see this behavior for Windows Store too. Some think every game should come to Steam.

It doesnt have anything to do with entitlement.

Steam offers regional pricing in a lot of countries. Epic doesnt. So people who live in Argentina can buy games for their equivalent price from Steam and not for 300€.
Steam offers BPM so you can easily play on a TV with your favorite controller.

Right now Chinese e.g. cant even play the last Walking Dead Season, because Epic blocked China. Where is the entitlement in just wanting to play the last season of a game they followed for years?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
But it will slow down because they cannot afford to keep paying, unless of course we look at it from the developer who chooses to be there because of the increased split. The reason why Epic will be forced to stop is because they will not be able to have a monopoly in the market. Which is my point. A monopoly would be something like Windows and using that leverage to put hardship on anyone else trying to compete.

Epic is still trying to make a monopoly, even by your definition.
Devs are not making their games exclusive to Epic because of the revenue share, Epic is straight up buying them.