• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was the superior Aladdin videogame?

• Capcom's Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Votes: 884 47.6%
  • Virgin Games Disney's Aladdin (MD/Genesis)

Votes: 975 52.4%

• Total voters

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So, with the upcoming Aladdin live action movie I'd like to settle down this once and for all: which one of the two Aladdin videogames released in 1993 was the best?

At the time most of the discussion easily developed into a Super NES VS MegaDrive/Genesis battle so I guess that 25 years later we could have a more cold and detached evaluation of the two games.

I'm talking about Disney's Aladdin by Capcom (released at the time on Super Nes):

And Disney's Aladdin by Virgin Games (released on MegaDrive/Genesis and home computers):

So, which one gets your vote today?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's the SNES game. I grew up with the Genesis game and used to love it, but it's the SNES game. They're not even close to each other in quality.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So, with the upcoming Aladdin live action movie I'd like to settle down this once and for all: which one of the two Aladdin videogames released in 1993 was the best?

At the time most of the discussion easily developed into a Super NES VS MegaDrive/Genesis battle so I guess that 25 years later we could have a more cold and detached evaluation of the two games.

I'm talking about Disney's Aladdin by Capcom (released at the time on Super Nes):

And Disney's Aladdin by Virgin Games (released on MegaDrive/Genesis and home computers):

So, which one gets your vote today?

I'm voting Genesis just because that SNES video you posted is using save states like a chump

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
Aladdin was the pack-in game when I got my SNES for Christmas 1994, whereas I don't think I even saw the Mega Drive version for a couple of years after that, so Capcom wins for me with a heavy nostalgia bias!

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Today I learned there were two Aladdin games. Thanks OP! I played the Genesis one, so my vote goes to that one.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Only played (and liked a lot) the Snes game when I was a kid. Although I thought the Genesis was clearly the better version according to critics back then. Like, the snes game was good, but the genesis version was supposed to be really great.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked both versions, hell I even liked the game gear version despite it being way more Prince of Persia like.

I liked that each game was a fairly unique experience.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that whoever was playing the snes version on that video was using a shit ton of save states on the magic carpet escape level and still dying like every 3 seconds. Fuck that level, still leaves me with bad memories.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I didn't play any of them but from the videos I'd much rather play the Mega drive one, the other one looks more generic.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I remember digging every version of this game, but I also havent played any of them in a really long time.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Master System all the way.

I like the Genesis one better, but it might be a case of owning it and only playing the SNES one occasionally at a relative's house.

May 26, 2018
I love that whoever was playing the snes version on that video was using a shit ton of save states on the magic carpet escape level and still dying like every 3 seconds. Fuck that level, still leaves me with bad memories.

It was my bane as a small child. It's generally where I just gave up on the game and played something else. And I tried multiple times a year, as like.. a ritual. Because I loved that game, but knew eventually I'd get to the lava levels and stop having fun.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis all the way. I liked the gameplay more and thought it looked and sounded better than the SNES version.

I had the Genesis version so I'm sure that's coloring my opinion, but when I played the SNES version at a friend's I was like "What happened?"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What a treat it was to get two fantastic games.

I think I lean slightly towards Mega Drive version.

Edit: I think it's a better representation of the source material, but perhaps it could be argued that the SNES one is a better platformer.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Snes game is just an OK game. Genesis Aladdin is a legendary game, a work of art.
You should specify the platforms in the poll op.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mind fuck to have an SNES game that runs smoother and a Genesis game that looks and arguably sounds better.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's the Capcom game by a fucking landslide for me.

I remember being a kid and basically "YOU GET A SWORD" being the super cool selling point of the Genesis version to my friends.

I didn't buy into it then and as I got older I realized how right I was. Kinda shit level design and mediocre gameplay while the SNES version was platforming goodness.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I loved the mega drive version. A friend of mine had the snes version but it was visually so underwhelming compared to the mega drive one that I never really paid attention to it.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Played both of em and the SNES Aladdin was magical, cause at the time i loved the hell out of platforming games and the color pallets of the Snes. Genesis version was a graphical show piece, though. Played the Snes version recently and found out how easy the game is when you hold down the run button.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Despite being a Genesis kid I always preferred the SNES version, but I always thought it came down more to a question of preference and not one being better than the other. The genesis one seemed to actually have a lot more interesting things going on in its version, but I always found the difficulty curve to be a bit too high for me. I enjoyed the more easy-going nature of the SNES version.

edit: The SNES Aladdin video in the OP is tough to watch, especially compared to the Genesis video below it.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Genesis version until I die!

It was the first video game I played, so I have a strong bias lmao

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Genesis version looks better and has smoother animation, the SNES version is the better game. I wish I could mash the two together.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The Genesis version looks better, and actually lets you use a sword. But Capcom's SNES version is still clearly the better game.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
All that mattered on the playground was that on the Genesis version you had a sword.

(SNES one was better)