• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was the superior Aladdin videogame?

• Capcom's Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Votes: 884 47.6%
  • Virgin Games Disney's Aladdin (MD/Genesis)

Votes: 975 52.4%

• Total voters

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, one is good and one is pretty. It says more about the persons taste than about the game

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, one is good and one is pretty. It says more about the persons taste than about the game
I hate comments like this. You can express your opinion without being that fucking patronizing.

That's like saying one is piss easy and one actually poses a decent challenge, so what does that say about the SNES Aladdin fans?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
SNES for sure. It feels like a much more realized product, with better gameplay, production values and stronger art style and visuals.

The Genesis version's graphics are the only reason the game is remembered. If you think the SNES game has better sprites, I don't know what to tell you

They're both average at best licensed games. I don't know why people get so invested in these games lmao

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hate comments like this. You can express your opinion without being that fucking patronizing.

That's like saying one is piss easy and one actually poses a decent challenge, so what does that say about the SNES Aladdin fans?
I ... didnt make it a negative? Its not -bad- taste to like Genesis Aladdin, its just different taste.

Nov 23, 2017
The Genesis version's graphics are the only reason the game is remembered. If you think the SNES game has better sprites, I don't know what to tell you

They're both average at best licensed games. I don't know why people get so invested in these games lmao
Coming into a thread and saying "lmao I have superior better taste than everyone who are discussing two things they like because I don't like them" where your clear goal here is to condescend is pretty weak and really tiresome

Just like maybe let people like things

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Coming into a thread and saying "lmao I have superior better taste than everyone who are discussing two things they like because I don't like them" where your clear goal here is to condescend is pretty weak and really tiresome

Just like maybe let people like things

It's a video game discussion board. The post I was responding to made a weak judgment about people's taste preferring aesthetics over a "good" game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the life and death battle over the 2 versions of the game.

Most licensed games sucked back then and to have 2 awesome games using the same license was and remains pretty amazing.

I liked both games for different reasons.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I have a feeling that a lot of people who say they prefer the Genesis version are people who just load old games up and play them for like 15 minutes. Because if you actually sit down to play those two games beginning to end, there's no question the SNES game is better.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that a lot of people who say they prefer the Genesis version are people who just load old games up and play them for like 15 minutes. Because if you actually sit down to play those two games beginning to end, there's no question the SNES game is better.

Yeah, I've been slogging through it on real hardware with save states between stages and after the opening stages the level design takes a huge dive. I threw in the towel at the Genie level where the terrible collision just destroys any enjoyment for me.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I was a genesis guy don't hurt me. But honestly I want to replay both of these in Retroarch.

In fact I should post some comparison screens lol.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Playing through the first two levels right now lol. Will post some shots and a quick review for sound and what not.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Genesis Aladdin may have a sword, but poop with a sword is just sharper poop.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Genesis version was cooler, but man those combat mechanics are bad. The sword really isn't very good.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic and the Black Knight has amazing visuals and a sword so I'm surprised people aren't always saying it's better than the Mario Galaxy games which came out in a similar time frame but contained no sword

Nov 2, 2017
The Genesis game was a front loaded mess. All the levels beyond the beginning weren't fun. They focused on sword gameplay in the Genesis version for some reason, while the SNES one focused on the acrobatics and bouncing off of stuff and swinging and was actually fun.

I don't like the Genesis game.

It looked better, that's it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to vote for the SNES version because I've never owned a Genesis but looking at the videos, I only remember playing the Genesis version...
I'm super confused now...

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Well I was a proud Genesis owner back in the day, but my comparison here is a lot closer than I thought. Honestly, I can't really come up with a winner. They are very different games.

Here are two screens I took of the first two levels:

They have very different visual styles. The SNES has some really nice backgrounds, and overall I feel it has a nice vibe to it. A little different colors. It's also probably missing some of that pizzazz on the animations like the guards dropping their pants and the camels spitting out things. I mean the first image you see booting up the Genesis is the genie shooting down a bird on the logo screen lol. SNES doesn't have much of that and comes off as pretty rote and routine, but with good jumping mechanics.

The SNES definitely has tighter platforming, and you can tell it's a much more smooth game in that right. Sega has a more Aladdin centered perspective with sword fighting and apple throwing everywhere, and Abu shows up in the bonus levels as opposed to following you along your journey on SNES. His Sega bonus levels have some rad synth music. Music is whatever overall, but you can't deny the charm and originality of the Sega version. I mean, they are both pretty good. Very characteristic of the systems. The Genesis is definitely a little more unique with flair like the movie, and the SNES version is a bit more classic. I think I prefer the Sega version here folks.

Obviously, I just played the original level 1 in each game. I think I'm honestly gonna go through both of them. I really love Aladdin and this is hitting some nostalgia vibes hard. I know a couple levels are pretty crazy as you get further into the game on the Sega system, and I actually never played the SNES version.

So there you go. Both fabulous games if you ask me.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Genesis/Mega Drive version's graphics/artstyle, animation, sound effects and music, etc are just so far ahead of the SNES version, it's insane. If I'm not mistake, Disney animators assisted with the Genesis version. And boy does it show. Gorgeous game to this day. Looks much more like the movie too.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Genesis/Mega Drive version's graphics/artstyle, animation, sound effects and music, etc are just so far ahead of the SNES version, it's insane. If I'm not mistake, Disney animators assisted with the Genesis version. And boy does it show. Gorgeous game to this day. Looks much more like the movie too.
I think they both have their ups and downs. I'm gonna play more of each. The SNES is definitely missing all the outrageous animation of the Sega version, but it does have some very nice visuals too.

After going back, Sega wins in music. The music in the Sega version is way more Aladdin with some really cool synth music.

Well we will see here. The Sega version certainly wins on animation and sound. No doubt about that. The SNES version has almost none of the flair in animations and sound. But yes the SNES version is your classic jump on top of the guy with tight platforming. They are very different games with different positives in my book. Sound on SNES seems a little weird, but I will continue on to see if it gets better.

Last edited: