• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was the superior Aladdin videogame?

• Capcom's Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Votes: 884 47.6%
  • Virgin Games Disney's Aladdin (MD/Genesis)

Votes: 975 52.4%

• Total voters

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fCojCGx.jpg

giphy.gif

I knew it, the Genesis crowd was loud, but WRONG.
I love them both and I loved that the cheat to skip levels in the Genesis version was ABBA ABBA
Mega Drive Aladdin. SNES Aladdin was awful trash compared.
Reported to Jafar.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
How does anyone like the sound in the Genesis version? It's awful! AWFUL.

Yeah I can't understand anyone saying the Genesis music is better. Play the 'Inside the Lamp' level of both the videos in the op and if you still think the Genesis sounds better you need your ears looked at

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
... I plead guilty. Also it's the only one I played. I have awful memories of it, but they're my nostalgic awful memories.
we picked it up a few months ago for my wife since she loves jp and im trying to get a copy of the genesis version. seeing my wife push herself through the shit storm that is the snes version determined to finish it until it glitched out on her. lol

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis has the best stages but most importantly it looks like the movie. Having the animation team helped a lot. The soundtrack shits on the SNES one too. The original songs even sound like they could be in the movie

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Genesis Aladdin has absolutely nothing going for it beyond its pretty visuals. The SNES version was made by Capcom so of course it was good.
The fact that this debate continues to this day has me questioning my own sanity.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone sayng the genesis version didn't have great music is actually high.

Genesis Aladdin has absolutely nothing going for it beyond its pretty visuals. The SNES version was made by Capcom so of course it was good.
The fact that this debate continues to this day has me questioning my own sanity.
This post is absolutely hilarious. Carrying on your schoolyard console war 30 years later? You obviously haven't played the game if you think it was just kids being kids and too dumb to tell that a game with good graphcis was actually bad. Even if you hate the game, you have to be willfully ignorant to act like it actually was a BAD game.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't know there were two versions to be honest. Was watching a long play a few weeks back and was confused that the game didn't match my memory of it at all. Now it makes sense that I played the genesis one as a kid. I'd have to go with that one due to nostalgia.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
So what are the fundamental differences between the two?

I thought the SNES version had advantages in the graphic department as well because of the super fx chip or am I wrong in thinking that?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
With the Analogue Sg coming out soon, I'm glad this and other games have different versions between the two warring consoles. I can now, being an adult with disposable income, enjoy each edition.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The Genesis game looks great and having a sword is nice and all, but the game actually plays like shit and has some garbage level design. The SNES game is much more tame in its presentation and scope, but it's an actual good game as a result. My vote goes SNES Aladdin.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Even being a Nintendo fan, the Mega Drive one is better, in almost all the aspects.

That doesn't mean that the SNES one is bad. Quite the opposite, it's a cool little game which has it's own merit.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
SNES version now and forever. That gameplay is just classic platforming fun. Capcom knocked it out of the park.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean, they're completely different games so it's really hard to quantify something like that, y'know?

Yeah I agree, I think both have pros and cons.

I just watched a few videos (as I only really remember playing the SNES version) and I can see what you mean about them being completely different games.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
The Megadrive/PC version doesn't have much to it beyond the initial hype about the Disney animation, so the Capcom one wins.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis version plays a sweet 16-bit version of a whole new world, and is thus the winner

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always wanted the Genesis version back in the day, but only owned an SNES. Years later I discover I had the superior version all along.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't understand anyone saying the Genesis music is better. Play the 'Inside the Lamp' level of both the videos in the op and if you still think the Genesis sounds better you need your ears looked at
I am with you.

I agree that the animation is better for the Genny version. The sword is also hella cool. But I did think the level design was better on the SNES version. I can see someone preferring one or the other as they were both good games.

But sound was definitely better on the SNES. At least that's the way I remember it.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
honest question did anyone here managed to beat aladdin genesis?

No and it haunts me. I got to jafar, several times, but never beat it. This fucking game, and it's fucking flying carpet level. Goddammit.

I've never played the SNES one and thought the accepted wisdom was that it was an inferior port. Some of the comments here to the contrary have inspired me to try it

Basically, I will finish them both this year, come hell or high water

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's Aladdin features CONSIDERABLY smoother, more responsive and just generally tighter controls and better designed platforming. Genesis Aladdin has that messy western-style platforming style you'd see in that era where it could be a real challenge to easily notice where a platform starts and ends, with confusing differentiation between background and foreground elements and inexplicable collision detection.

And contrary to popular belief, the animation in Capcom's Aladdin actually takes after the movie more than Virgin's game.

eLbnt62.gif

GmHkSvy.gif

DsBtgNV.gif

Where da swinging and vaulting off people in Genny Aladdin at? :P

Seriously though, I like that the mechanics in Capcom's game are actually somewhat inspired by the movie. Whereas in the Virgin game they just did whatever.

Yep.

Played both back in the day being one of the privileged SNES and Genesis kids and Capcom's controls and platforming make the SNES version the clear winner.

Even then I could immediately tell the difference.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
The Mega Drive version is the best version, imo. It's hard as hell later on, but the game is solid throughout. I also love how quick and responsive it is. The SNES version is sluggish and not nearly as responsive as the MD version. Also love the sprite work and animations of the MD version.

darturas

Dec 1, 2018
Haven't seen anyone bring up the Game Gear version of Aladdin. It's a lot different from the Genesis and SNES games and follows the plot of the movie more accurately; the marketplace level is just running from guards, not a platforming level.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I didn't play either as a kid. Only got around to playing them in 2010, I believe.

The only reason anyone puts the Genesis version above the SNES one is because they value the (admittedly very impressive) visuals over the actual gameplay. I wouldn't trust anyone who considers the Genesis version superior overall. It's a terribly designed game with obnoxious Earthworm Jim-like levels and poor hit detection, with no good feedback. Virgin was a mostly terrible developer.

Mind you, the Genesis was my first console and I never owned a physical SNES.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I've realised in this thread - all the Dave Perry games were poor gameplay disguised with amazing animation

Cool spot, earthworm Jim and Aladdin. 3 games I've played fucking loads of and am just realising that they're not that fun.

My mind is exploding.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen anyone bring up the Game Gear version of Aladdin. It's a lot different from the Genesis and SNES games and follows the plot of the movie more accurately; the marketplace level is just running from guards, not a platforming level.
Aladdin running from the guards should be a platforming level though

he's a parkour icon

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I've realised in this thread - all the Dave Perry games were poor gameplay disguised with amazing animation

Cool spot, earthworm Jim and Aladdin. 3 games I've played fucking loads of and am just realising that they're not that fun.

My mind is exploding.

As someone who didn't grow up with any of his games, I've felt this ever since I first played Earthworm Jim. Nothing that guy was involved in led to a quality gaming experience. It was very much the "Graphics>Gameplay" argument of its time.