• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was the superior Aladdin videogame?

• Capcom's Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Votes: 884 47.6%
  • Virgin Games Disney's Aladdin (MD/Genesis)

Votes: 975 52.4%

• Total voters

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I vote for the Sega Aladdin just for the pure eyecandy.
SNES Aladdin might have superior gameplay though.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
The real question: Toy Story for Genesis/SNES or Toy Story 2 for N64/PS1/PC.

Toy Story 2 on PS1. It's not even a question. The Genesis Toy Story game is similar garbage to the Genesis Aladdin. It cares more about "looking good" than being an interesting and well designed game.

Toy Story 2 is an incredibly easy but pretty solid 3D platformer for its time. It can still be enjoyable even now.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
If I recall I remember an article where the respective directors consider the other game better than their own lol

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I go for the one that plays better. SNES you have my vote.

Someone should attempt a fan game that merges the art of the genesis game with the gameplay if the SNES game. It would sell MILLIONS.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Now Batman & Robin...

SNES game is a jack of all trades that is ultimately more concerned with portraying all the aspects of the show, but without tying it all into a cohesive experience and fleshing out all those different elements. Genesis game just focuses on being damn good arcade action.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I thought for sure the Mega Drive (Genesis) version would landslide this, so I'm really glad it's as close as it is.

I honestly enjoyed the flow of the Capcom (SNES) version much better, even though I recognise that Virgin's effort is more ambitious and important.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
SNES game is way better; it's precisely and carefully designed whereas the Mega Drive game is slapdash, with frequent unfair deaths (thanks to wonky collision detection) and frustrating sequences. Still enjoyable, but there's no contest for me.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
just curious but has anyone saying MD / Genesis version played it recently?
They either haven't or they've played the game enough to become desensitized to its amateur-hour flaws.
SNES game is way better; it's precisely and carefully designed whereas the Mega Drive game is slapdash, with frequent unfair deaths (thanks to wonky collision detection) and frustrating sequences. Still enjoyable, but there's no contest for me.
The SNES version is actually a good game and not a tech demo, so this one.

giphy.gif

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Genesis is more fondly remembered because well, it sold far more but the SNES version is far superior from a gameplay standpoint.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think SNES Aladdin indeed has much better and judicious use of color for the scenery.

[.

Exactly. It's not even just a matter of #of colours onscreen, it's the choice of colours and how they are combined to produce aesthetically pleasing visuals.

And Capcom's Abu is a masterclass in pixel art: they injected so much character in that 8x8 pixels monkey face it blew my mind back then.

As for the gameplay, SNES Aladdin has a great flow and while it's a bit by the numbers it is at least done competently.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i feel that the genesis one is more polished, but i prefer the snes, don't know why, maybe fanboysm

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I don't understand, the game is really easy.
The only hard part was the magic carpet level.

I beated the game multiple times

Perhaps the game is harder in USA version (i played PAL one)
I don't know, I've only played the PAL one, and thought it was pretty stupid hard. The collision detection was a constant issue, especially in the lava cave, and felt like I was fighting the assets as much as the actual platforming and combat design. The game's got a bunch of blind jumps, and moving platforms that don't spawn until you get close enough, leading to cheap deaths if you don't know these levels by heart. Seems pretty by design though, because the game also likes to guide your jumps with visible apples, only for that trajectory to lead straight into hazards.

Funny enough, I thought the magic carpet section was the most reasonable section in the entire game. It's fast, but relatively simple, responsive, and telegraphs every obstacle. The only thing you have to know is that "?" always means down, but that's just another way the game punishes new players for no reason to drag the game out.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Never liked the Genesis version, it has typical trash level-design I'm used to seeing from 90's Western-designed games.

Kytes

Oct 25, 2017
just curious but has anyone saying MD / Genesis version played it recently?

I played both games this year, for the first time, back to back. I had more fun playing the SNES version because the gameplay is superior, however the graphics are clearly superior on the Genesis version (as some of you mentioned).

Now, if there was a version which mixes the SNES gameplay and the Genesis visuals... that would take the cake for me.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I went with SNES version; Genesis version had better art and sound and GOAT soundtrack but the gameplay didn't really hold up at all. SNES although a bit safe has great gameplay in comparison.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I've only played the SNES game so my vote wouldn't be fair anyway.
But as someone who only looked at videos and read articles from the Sega version (like the ones in OP) I do think there are points where you can assess fairly where one is better than the other.

The Virgin game has steller animation, there's no denying that, sound however is super jarring coming from the SNES, low quality cheap sound from the MD really gives the impression of a "muddier" soundtrack that is hampered by the hardware.
The game pacing also seems very different (gotta go fast !) but since both rely a bit on die&retry it looks a bit more unfair on Megadrive.

Colors are also much more vibrant on SNES while on the Virgin game it feels more washed out.

Both were good games though, so with nostalgia factor the one you played when you were younger is guaranteed to get your vote :p

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the snes game had to be one of the most forgettable "good" games i've played from that era. a solid capcom platformer to pass the weekend then i never thought about it again

even at the height of nintendo vs sega playground wars not even nintendo kids cared to go to bat for it. i don't think it was ever a question the game was "better" just nowhere near as memorable or popular as the MD/Genesis game

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis version for the graphic and a more comfortable controller imho that went perfect with this game. And yes even if the Aladdin gameplay is a tighter on SNES I'll still choose Genesis version for the better all around experience.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Never liked the Mega Drive game. It looks great, but the gameplay is just not great. Everything feels imprecise. The SNES game is actually fun to play.

This is pretty much all that needs to be said.

There was a LOT of fuss around Dave Perry and his work at Virgin/Shiny at the time and the games did look incredible, but collisions, legibility, platforming, level design and difficulty balance of those games have always been questionable. Unfortunately both gamers (the audience was considerably younger on average back then) and the specialized press were over the moon for those games thanks to the amazing graphics and animation.

The SNES version of Aladdin was always going to look the poor man's version compared to the Genesis game, but its gameplay is easily the better of the two.
Mind you, SNES Aladdin still isn't much more than an easy-peasy, 7/10 game at best. This is another reason why the Genesis version won the confrontation by a landslide back then and it's fondly remembered (the full-scale war between Genesis and SNES certainly helped polarize people's opinions). After all, movie tie-ins had to look and sound good above everything else. They weren't supposed to last beyond the movie's season.

Very true.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was always jealous of the Genesis version cause he got to use a sword instead of jumping on heads.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
People saying this is Nintendo vs Sega forget the GameBoy version was based on the Virgin game. ;)

I remember seeing images of Aladdin for the Mega Drive when I was younger, not realising there were two different versions so when I got the SNES version I was partly confused why it looked so different. Really enjoyed the game and it was a great achievement to beat that lava escape level. Played it so much I could eventually beat it all in one go (and then discovered the secret credits sequence).

Not really played the Virgin one, so can't really compare the two.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Only had a SNES growing up. I rented Aladdin once and beat it pretty easily. It was fun, but nothing memorable.

However, my cousin had Aladdin on Genesis and I would play that all the time.

Personally, when it comes to average platformers on the 8 and 16 bit consoles, a slight edge in gameplay doesn't make a huge difference. Maybe the SNES version has a little better gameplay and control, but the overall package of the Genesis makes it a better game. The art and animation looked closer to the film. The game nailed the aesthetic and atmosphere for each level. The music was a decent approximation and the original tracks really shine and fit perfectly with the property.

I would pick the Genesis version every day of the week.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Imo this should be a no contest. Genesis Alladin was not only the best version but one of the best games at that time.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think SNES Aladdin indeed has much better and judicious use of color for the scenery.

Aladdin_Cave.gif

Cave of Wonders in Genesis? Everything is blue.

38813-disney-s-aladdin-snes-screenshot-the-cave-has-a-beautiful-background.jpg

On SNES you got a more dynamic range of colors and a clear division between the foreground and background elements. Also notice how the area on the ground that you actually interact with clearly stands out. OTOH what is this mess?

AvVF0XE.jpg

About the same thing happens with the use of color during the lava sections

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

This just speaks to Capcom's expertise and know-how when it comes crafting this sort of game.
Honestly don't see how the Genesis version isn't readable, but maybe that's just from playing it so much.

The only real bullshit level, like I mentioned earlier is the dungeon level.

Toy Story 2 on PS1. It's not even a question. The Genesis Toy Story game is similar garbage to the Genesis Aladdin. It cares more about "looking good" than being an interesting and well designed game.

Toy Story 2 is an incredibly easy but pretty solid 3D platformer for its time. It can still be enjoyable even now.
I have so much nostalgia for the Genesis Toy Story (dem graphx) but I will admit I lose interest in it fairly quickly if I try to replay it nowadays.

Last edited:

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
#UnpopularOpinion :
I really dislike Aladdin on Genesis, especially the level design. I'd rather play Aladdin on SNES.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I go for the one that plays better. SNES you have my vote.

Someone should attempt a fan game that merges the art of the genesis game with the gameplay if the SNES game. It would sell MILLIONS.

Uh, I don't really get what you're going for here but the games play so differently that you wouldn't be able to use the animations from the Genesis game for a game with the SNES Aladdin gameplay.

Also, it had an excellent Dreamcast edition.

I own Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue on PS1, PC, and DC and maybe it's just my copy since I never saw this complaint online but the deadzone for running in a straight line in that version of the game was so damn finicky, it made a massive difference in the worst way possible for me. I don't think it was my controller since other DC games play fine for me.

Another example of impressive visuals vs. an actually good game.

Yeah, basically.

#UnpopularOpinion :
I really dislike Aladdin on Genesis, especially the level design. I'd rather play Aladdin on SNES.

Thankfully, that's hardly an unpopular opinion nowadays.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis for the graphics, SNES for the gameplay (the SNES one is the only version I've ever finished).

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered this today - I was reading this thread when I was banned and it was somewhat frustrating. I've played both, and I think the Genesis version has more interesting gameplay and level design. Sure, it's got some non-standard rules for collision detection, especially noticeable in the dungeon and lava level, but it's something you can get used to. And as someone who doesn't care for Earthworm Jim, it never got close to as bad as that. And sure, it isn't lore-accurate, lol. The levels have more secrets and they have far more variety in them; the Agrabah levels exemplify that. Enemy encounters are a little more interesting because you can reflect knives with your sword, your apples get cut up by their swords, swords clash. SNES version is more polished, lore-accurate, and has paragliding, but it's way too easy and enemies may as well not exist. It's also super slow in terms of normal gameplay (I heard it's been speedrun four times, so there's got to be something worthwhile there). That said, it's got a far better final boss.

I think what some people mean by it feeling like an 8-bit game is sort of like how Twin Snakes is basically a Playstation game at its core although that's an imperfect comparison. And the focus on bouncing does aesthetically call back to Ducktales.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017
I was so jealous of the Genesis kids with this one growing up. Aladdin actually felt like a badass with a sword. Really couldn't get into the SNES one.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The SNES version is the true version for me. It's actually a solid platformer, despite the license.