• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Longish but fascinating read about Chiraag Bhakta's ordeal setting up an exhibit (titled #WhitePeopleDoingYoga) at the Asian Art Museum in SF.

Back in 2013, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco invited me to contribute to a show about yoga co-organized by the Smithsonian's Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. The exhibition, Yoga: The Art of Transformation, was the first major show ever mounted about the 2,500-year history of yoga. It featured over a hundred paintings, photographs, and sculptures. Curators, seeking a contemporary perspective, invited me to contribute to an educational exhibit for the show after having met me at a previous event.

I knew the title #WhitePeopleDoingYoga would be provocative, but I chose it for a reason: For this installation, yoga was a case study in how culture gets colonized, a pattern that holds across industries, from fashion to food to music. The installation was meant to show how overwhelming and suffocating appropriation becomes under a capitalist structure. Every piece in the installation was either selling something or was itself once for sale.

But once my proposal made the rounds among curators, educators, and PR folks, cracks started to show in the museum's support for the installation. The show's lead curators and education staffers I'd met—all but one of whom were white—didn't feel completely comfortable with the title. They wanted something innocuous like #PeopleDoingYoga, without the word "white," because the term "white people" could be "offensive" to museumgoers, donors, and staff. During our initial meetings at the museum, they told me to "turn down the volume" of my critique.

The opening parties featured Indian classical music performed by white people, acro-yoga performed by white people, a chanting group mostly compromising white people, and a white couple from Marin teaching yoga for an hour. There was a sprinkle of Brown acts, but the headliner—wait for it—was a white rapper named MC Yogi, who spit about yoga and Indian culture over a beat dropped by DJ Drez, a white DJ with dreads. (Reminder: the largest institution of Asian art in the United States.)

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. That description makes it sound amazing. How many people will have left without thinking anything was weird about it?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
But once my proposal made the rounds among curators, educators, and PR folks, cracks started to show in the museum's support for the installation. The show's lead curators and education staffers I'd met—all but one of whom were white—didn't feel completely comfortable with the title. They wanted something innocuous like #PeopleDoingYoga, without the word "white," because the term "white people" could be "offensive" to museumgoers, donors, and staff.

this is just so much

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right, folks want the fetishized and colonized culture. But pointing that out is too spicy

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was a very interesting read, goddamn there must have been so much frustration throughout that entire process.

The last paragraph is so on point

That was it: My experience with the Asian Art Museum was an exercise in watching white people work out their identity on the back of mine. The platform they seemed to give me, it turned out, wasn't actually for me—it was for them, a way to fashion my Brownness into something they could wear. White supremacy works that way, for all "minorities"; it censors any critique contained in nonwhite expression and commodifies and tokenizes whatever's left, forcing people like me into the posture of the model minority.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up the guy that started the museum was an American nazi apologist?

Sounds about right

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the Cleveland Art Museum was ok with the exhibit till the point where the local yoga studios wanted to use the space to co-advertise and pushed this exhibit out.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao this quote sums it up so well

"Here were white elites exerting power over Brown critique that was explicitly about white elites exerting power over Brown culture."

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
White appropriation knows no bounds. I think the observation about how a capitalist society helps to enhance the appropriation is on-point. Once there's a profit motive, anything can be commodified.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
San Fran feels like a YA dystopia. No poors or browns allowed

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of a story I heard years ago about the growth of "Christian Yoga": Yoga for people uncomfortable with it's foundation in Hinduism.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Turning everything into a commodity or a token sounds so very San Francisco. SF is such a freaking weird bubble society.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty typical, unfortunately museum admins tend to be the biggest thing holding exhibits back, especially with big blockbuster style exhibitions like this that need to bring in the masses, nothing scares them more than the potential for an angry newspaper op-ed. I would tend to agree with the curator's comments that such a provocative installation, or more rather a simply dramatic shift in tone from the rest of the exhibit, would be difficult to place into context for visitors and could lead to confusion or misinterpretation. That shouldn't be a reason not to include it, but simply a sign that the exhibit's didactic text should go out of its way to ensure that visitors can approach it with the right mindset.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The opening parties featured Indian classical music performed by white people, acro-yoga performed by white people, a chanting group mostly compromising white people, and a white couple from Marin teaching yoga for an hour. There was a sprinkle of Brown acts, but the headliner—wait for it—was a white rapper named MC Yogi, who spit about yoga and Indian culture over a beat dropped by DJ Drez, a white DJ with dreads. (Reminder: the largest institution of Asian art in the United States.)

this is too much

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This shit is everywhere. I know "ethnic mall food" isnt really the height of the issue, but definitely when I started to notice it's so totally wide-spread.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I don't understand: if you are white, you can't practice yoga?

Whitewashing is about representation, am I wrong? Sincretism is fine, as long as you remember the roots of the practice/custom/artistic movement.

Otherwise, none of us should eat anything but what our ancestors use to grow.

EDIT:
In this specfic case, i?ve missed that the curators of the museum were white. Yes, they were quite hypocritical.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whitewashing is about representation, am I wrong? Sincretism is fine, as long as you remember the roots of the practice/custom/artistic movement.

Did you read the article? Because it explains things quite well I'd say.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Did you read the article? It's goes indepth at explaining the issue

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's always interesting when white people get bothered by the term "white people."

machine

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This reminds me of a story I heard years ago about the growth of "Christian Yoga": Yoga for people uncomfortable with it's foundation in Hinduism.

My mom and dad tried to ban me (a 30 something year old woman) from doing yoga due to the fact that it's from Satan, basically.

(Satan= any belief system not Christian.)

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Always have a bit so say about this since I practice and teach yoga (and am white). From a capitalist view, 100% right. From plastering Sat Nam and Namaste on absolutely everything, to literally changing the chakra colors to cater to people in the west more by making it rainbow colored (hint: it's not a rainbow) dude is right on. But, from what I've seen, from a person-to-person standpoint, it comes far more from a place of respect than appropriation. Definitely going to read through the whole article, though. Admittedly skimmed it.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always interesting when white people get bothered by the term "white people."
White people get super bothered at the term white people. I've randomly used the term for comedic effect with my friends, but if there's someone new or a girlfriend in the group, they give off this vibe. It's kind of awkward.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sounds pretty typical, unfortunately museum admins tend to be the biggest thing holding exhibits back, especially with big blockbuster style exhibitions like this that need to bring in the masses, nothing scares them more than the potential for an angry newspaper op-ed.

And yet! If only they were more scared!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What did you call me?!?!?!?

White people get super bothered at the term white people. I've randomly used the term for comedic effect with my friends, but if there's someone new or a girlfriend in the group, they give off this vibe. It's kind of awkward.
And I bet you these same folks have no problem with saying "Black people."

Man, it's almost as if there is a comfortable privilege in being addressed as a nondescrept "people," probably because there is a lot of unaddressed context, baggage, and hurt that has been primarily maintained and perpetuated by white people in this country.....

No that couldn't be it.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
If you want to actually interact and utilize the spiritual aspect of yoga it makes some sense to translate that into the religion you observe.
Soo, take the spiritual roots out of yoga and shoehorn it into your religion so you can enjoy those same spiritual aspects without acknowledging them? That sounds like ridiculous appropriation to me, you can't separate yoga from Hinduism.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I think the main point is that it's a problem curators are overwhelmingly white men and that artists of color deserve to have their points made.

100% agree.

However, modern/western Yoga is more an example of an eastern influence success story than exploitative colonialism. Western Yoga was intentionally introduced and adapted by Dharma Mittra (a Brazilian) and Indian practitioners like Bikram Choudhury and Jyotirmayananda Saraswati (among many others). Yoga becoming a form of exercise is far from being a problem for them as they publish hundreds of books and have world renowned schools that still exist today.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On this very forum, I called a bunch of proud boy types "white fragile snowflakes" and other people here (who I assume were mostly white) got salty about me saying they were white. lol

White fragility is a hell of a drug

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Fascinating and embarrassing situation. Institutional racism excels equally in its immorality and resilience, unfortunately.

Absolutely pathetic story. I hope the gatekeepers are someday able to be ashamed of themselves.