• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
Noted, so being aware of this situation - should I no longer eat Thai food? I'm looking to be educated. Not trying to stir up shit.

Another poster has perfectly answered this very same question:

No offense, but this is why the talk gets so tiring. It always gets reframed on what white people can and can not do. If minorities had that power we wouldn't waste it on stopping white people from eating. I would use my Stop White people spirit bomb on getting them to stop loving black face first.

The discussion should be about white people get upset on being educated on stuff or why they can love something without trying to co op it. Perfect example Andrew Zimmer told asian populations in the midwest he cooks asian food better than they do. Folks don't think asian people should feel a type way about it

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The exhibit title seems needlessly adversarial rather than inclusive, a museum art exhibit should be inclusive and walk that fine provocation line very carefully in every community. The last thing you want to do is make people feel bad for liking the things they like.

As somebody from the Indian subcontinent, I am fascinated by things that get adopted from my land of origin. How things are innovated upon, and ultimately refined in different parts of the world. Yoga as practiced in the US, biryani variants in Korea, white musicians playing tabla and sitar, duck samosas at a French restaurant, or curry variants in South Africa are things to be celebrated as cultural contributions from that part of the world.

I agree. I love all the things you listed too. Yoga too has definitely become a world wide thing. And all of that needs to be explored and talked about when you have a museum exhibit about Yoga.

But a museum is also the exact place to have conversations like this. Museums are there to archive history, the good and ugly parts. You don't go to a museum to feel good but to learn. Individually, there's nothing wrong with a white rapper doing Indian themes or a white Indian classical music performer. Those are all great.

The opening parties featured Indian classical music performed by white people, acro-yoga performed by white people, a chanting group mostly compromising white people, and a white couple from Marin teaching yoga for an hour. There was a sprinkle of Brown acts, but the headliner—wait for it—was a white rapper named MC Yogi, who spit about yoga and Indian culture over a beat dropped by DJ Drez, a white DJ with dreads. (Reminder: the largest institution of Asian art in the United States.)

But this. This is something else I feel.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's like the absurdity grew larger and larger and by the time opening reception starts with the band it's almost like they're trolling him. The Asian Art Museum? Really?

Ub64YiN.png
I was not ready for this, madness.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The exhibit title seems needlessly adversarial rather than inclusive, a museum art exhibit should be inclusive and walk that fine provocation line very carefully in every community. The last thing you want to do is make people feel bad for liking the things they like.
Can you point to which of these words is specifically adversarial and/or meant to make someone "feel bad"?

a. White
b. People
c. Doing
d. Yoga

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The discussion should be about white people get upset on being educated on stuff or why they can love something without trying to co op it. Perfect example Andrew Zimmer told asian populations in the midwest he cooks asian food better than they do. Folks don't think asian people should feel a type way about it

GOD yes. Like the problem here isn't really that white people are doing yoga, it is that yoga has been commodified -- and the only people able to reliably make money off that commodification are, of course, white people. The problem isn't even that the opening performers are white, per se, but that they are performing under a colonialist aesthetic, and also being members of the culture that benefitted from that colonialism. They are poor stewards of the culture they claim to be representing. (And the colonialist/orientalist trappings are definitely a major factor into why people are not having it with the Zimmern or Ramsay forays into supposedly "authentic" Chinese food)

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
This exhibit sounded amazing.

Leave it to white people to walk back whiteness after creating the concept that virtually ravaged half the world and continues to permeate many aspects of society. I wish I could be identified as just a person.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I think the main point is that it's a problem curators are overwhelmingly white men and that artists of color deserve to have their points made.

100% agree.

However, modern/western Yoga is more an example of an eastern influence success story than exploitative colonialism. Western Yoga was intentionally introduced and adapted by Dharma Mittra (a Brazilian) and Indian practitioners like Bikram Choudhury and Jyotirmayananda Saraswati (among many others). Yoga becoming a form of exercise is far from being a problem for them as they publish hundreds of books and have world renowned schools that still exist today.
It even goes past that, if you believe as many do that the asana limb of yoga (of which the west certainly showcases) was really altered and popularized by the Swedish (and Scandinavia in general) gymnastics in the early 1900s. It made sense how Dharma Mittra, Bikram and the others brought it over to the west to popularize it, but it did sort of encourage the west to miss the other, arguably more important limbs of yoga.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Wait so they gave him all the merchandise they created to go with the exhibit for $1 rather than sell it in the museum store? Lol

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
White fragility is a helluva drug.
htGrFYZ.gif

Not surprised a few people in this thread are exemplifying it by disingenuously going on about the straw man "oh so white people can't be seen eating Thai food?!" totally missing the point of anti-capitalist and white-washing critique of the article.

#WhitePeopleEatingAsian ?

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Can you point to which of these words is specifically adversarial and/or meant to make someone "feel bad"?

a. White
b. People
c. Doing
d. Yoga

Those words stringed together in a complete statement carry an adversarial tone as a title, not one singular word.

I understand renaming it to "People doing yoga" alters the intention of the author as well so I don't think focusing on any single word in that string is the issue either.
But having a hostile tone for an exhibit name may not be what the museum stakeholders want.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Those words stringed together in a complete statement carry an adversarial tone as a title, not one singular word.

I understand renaming it to "People doing yoga" alters the intention of the author as well so I don't think focusing on any single word in that string is the issue either.
But having a hostile tone for an exhibit name may not be what the museum stakeholders want.
It's not hostile. It's a descriptive title for an exibit that is meant to get people thinking about something that happened, and is still happening.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Why is it hostile?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

It's not hostile though? It's literally a statement of fact as to the content of exhibit. It doesn't even gesture to the actual contextualization of what the artist was saying with the installation.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

It's more provocative than it is hostile. It's sole purpose is to make you stop and think, which it does. It offending says more about the person receiving the message and should encourage self-reflection.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
I've struggled for years with making a point to white people that Taco bell is NOT Mexican food but is in fact white people food (in retrospect, probably using this loaded term is what got me push back in the first place). This isn't a thing anymore for the most part at least, unless they're trying to troll me (it seems the past decade people are now quick to point out it's not real Mexican food). I think the convoluted point I'm trying to make is white people are quick to appropriate the parts of the culture they like and are tone deaf to the rest. The result being that white people are uncomfortable when confronted with that fact that what ever they're participating isn't "culture" but a white washed event/cuisine by white people for white people (so they can be comfortable).

Last edited:
OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I agree with Rainer516 that it was meant to be 'hostile' but I also think a museum exhibit is where that should have happened. A museum exhibit is not just an advertising and feel good avenue for a rapper and a yoga-instructor who hold $3000 yoga retreats for other rich people.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've struggled for years with making a point to white people that Taco bell is NOT Mexican food but is in fact white people food (in retrospect, probably using this loaded term is what got me push back in the first place). This isn't a thing anymore for the most part at least, unless they're trying to troll me (it seems the past decade people are now quick to point out it's not real Mexican food). I think the convoluted point I'm trying to make is white people are quick to appropriate the parts of the culture they like and are tone deaf to the rest. The result being that white people are uncomfortable with that fact that what ever they're participating isn't "culture" but a white washed event/cuisine by white people for white people (so they can be comfortable).
Anyone legitimately holding the opinion that Taco Bell is Mexican food is not someone worth your time.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone legitimately holding the opinion that Taco Bell is Mexican food is not someone worth your time.

Like I said though, thankfully this hasn't been a thing for a long time (13+ years), but I am ashamed I even entertained their thoughts. At this point, I no longer bother with it since I just assume they're trolling, I simply just let them enjoy their bland food and I'll keep having the real deal on the regs.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of one. That's why people get annoyed by it.
What annoys you about it? How would you refer to us? If us white people can't be refered to as white people, what is the more acceptable politically correct term? I'm what would be considered white. I'm a person. Not seeing the problem.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This shit is everywhere. I know "ethnic mall food" isnt really the height of the issue, but definitely when I started to notice it's so totally wide-spread.

This is ridiculous, having Thai food is not appropriation.

Being white and enjoying yoga is also not appropriation either, but the widespread commodification of it is problematic. I'm not really sure there's a great solution to it other than being more inclusive, which installations like this are trying to do. I think having a #whitepeopledoingyoga title is a great way to tongue in cheek point out the problematic elements without coming off as the fabled "what I can't do yoga now!?" Thing that people in this thread think it is.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Soo, take the spiritual roots out of yoga and shoehorn it into your religion so you can enjoy those same spiritual aspects without acknowledging them? That sounds like ridiculous appropriation to me, you can't separate yoga from Hinduism.

you can absolutely seperate rituals and acts from spirituality and appropriate then into other things.You think Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism etc are the same everywhere?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason you can consider the actual title "White People Doing Yoga" as adversarial is if you understand the context of cultural commodification and know it's wrong and abrasive.

Because frankly a "Black People Doing Yoga" exhibit sounds awesome to me, because that context of cultural commidification simply isn't there.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao what the fuck is this? Are you so fragile that a common descriptor is now considered a pejorative?' Y'all have the same qualms about "Asian people" or "black people"?

"White people are the largest demographic in the country."
"Actually, we prefer to be called individuals of colourless complexion thank you very much"

I had to look up the "PC" term for them, apparently it's European-American... I can see why white people don't like this descriptor either, they're too proud of just being an amurican' pure bred.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Because frankly a "Black People Doing Yoga" exhibit sounds awesome to me, because that context of cultural commidification simply isn't there.

White people doing yoga: "White people doing yoga" is too hostile and abrasive and I don't like it
Black people doing yoga: You cannot police me, so get off my areola

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that confused me as I reread this is the timeline that all of this went down. An exhibit like this should normally be set in stone a year before it opens, but the tone of the article makes it sound like most of the controversy within the museum's staff happened mere months before it opened, when usually the focus is just on very minor details. Besides the whitewashing, that's a ridiculous level of institutional incompetency and a total breakdown of proper procedure.

And of course there's the fact he was only paid $1500 for a new work, which is absolutely absurd at a major institution. We could never get away with that at my tiny museum and we probably see less visitors per year than they get in a week

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As a mighty whitie, I believe I can stretch and breathe without Hinduism. Anyone can.

But a museum piece about yoga needs the brown people that invented it. And a museum piece about the interesting process of appropriation by another culture needs to call out which group is doing the appropriating. Either call it White People Doing (stealing) Yoga or hire a majority of culturally legit (brown) people.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've struggled for years with making a point to white people that Taco bell is NOT Mexican food but is in fact white people food (in retrospect, probably using this loaded term is what got me push back in the first place).

As a Houstonian, no shit. I'm legitimately trying to think of anyone I know who considers Taco Bell real Mexican food and completely coming up short. Is this actually a thing? I don't know anyone who would consider it not only "real" Mexican food (and that includes people from out of the country), but it's not even Americanized Mexican food, it's just god tier drunk food. "In Mexico, Taco Bell is considered American Food" is something I feel like I've known since like, 3rd grade.

If I want real Mexican tacos I'll stop at one of the many food trucks set up in gas station parking lots in the area and get a taco or burrito for 1/2 the price of Taco Bell. If I'm drunk at 2am I'm grabbing a Volcano taco (RIP) or three.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
As a white man, I completely agree that our appropriation sucks. And, like Alice said above me, that was a wild read.

As a Houstonian, no shit. I'm legitimately trying to think of anyone I know who considers Taco Bell real Mexican food and completely coming up short. Is this actually a thing? I don't know anyone who would consider it not only "real" Mexican food (and that includes people from out of the country), but it's not even Americanized Mexican food, it's just god tier drunk food. "In Mexico, Taco Bell is considered American Food" is something I feel like I've known since like, 3rd grade.

If I want real Mexican tacos I'll stop at one of the many food trucks set up in gas station parking lots in the area and get a taco or burrito for 1/2 the price of Taco Bell. If I'm drunk at 2am I'm grabbing a Volcano taco (RIP) or three.

Fuck yeahhhhhhhh, high five my fellow Houstonian! I, too, have never met a soul that considers Taco Bell actual Mexican food.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a white man, I completely agree that our appropriation sucks. And, like Alice said above me, that was a wild read.

Fuck yeahhhhhhhh, high five my fellow Houstonian! I, too, have never met a soul that considers Taco Bell actual Mexican food.

Probably something thst happens the more you go north. You'd have to go out of your way in Texas(or any border state) to not experience real Mexican food.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure you can, that's called appropriation... Only in those cases it's accepted.

I completely accept that kind of appropriation then.

i think a key difference here (again my post completely supports doing the #white people museum piece) is that words like appropriation are thrown around and don't mean what they are being used for.

a white girl doing yoga in San Francisco does nothing to weaken the culture it was "taken" from. I mean also yoga and Indian culture have been exported to other civilisations for literally Millenia as well.

a White hippy with dreadlocks this isnt