• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yes, we all know the Wii U was a failure.

But there is something that the Wii U is better than the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Dreamcast, Wii, and probably PS5 and Xbox Series X.

The Wii U had the best discs ever created for a videogames system.

I know the majority of people didn't experience those discs, but for those of you who didn't have a Wii U... The discs were rounded on the edges. It is not something you notice by eye. You have to feel/touch them.

Handling Wii U discs was a pleasure.

If you never had a Wii U, I suggest to try and get one, or at least get a cheap Wii U game so you can experience the best discs ever created. It's almost orgasmic.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they get scratched. Had to rebuy Mario 3D world because the CD had the tiniest nick on it.

Loved the console though

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Loooove the rounded edges of the discs.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I guess that's...something.
I only have one Wii U disc (Nintendo Land - have a ton digital and try not to have physical if possible). It never occurred to me that it was anything special.
I still love the Wii U though.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
GameCube discs were cuter.
I have a love/hate relationship with GameCube discs. On one hand, I love the size and general form factor.

But I hate the hideous printing work on the discs. They didn't print the discs in full color... Just a single color. Wii games had the same printing style the first years, but they later changed the printing style to full color.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Also had really cool art on them

ARDE01.png

AKBE01.png

the-wonderful-101-for-nintendo-wii-u.jpg

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were complete and total garbage. I once bought a bunch of games from Best buy that had barely any scratches and only half of them worked. That wasn't the first time either.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U discs were amazing.

The Wii U also had some of the best couch co-op titles ever. I think it will be a cool collector's console someday.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But they get scratched. Had to rebuy Mario 3D world because the CD had the tiniest nick on it.

Loved the console though
They were complete and total garbage. I once bought a bunch of games from Best buy that had barely any scratches and only half of them worked. That wasn't the first time either.
Agree. They were too easy to scratch and too easy stop working because of scratches.

Smooth edges, I'll give them that.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
I have read this rounded edges thing on here so many times but have never felt a difference to regular cds lol. And i played a lot of wii u since i didn't own any other consoles for a long time. It's not like anybody cut their fingers on cds so what's even the point in those soft round edges.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't own a Switch but why is Nintendo seemingly allergic to using normal forms of storage?
Because you don't have to pay the BDA if you don't use Blu-Rays! That said, apparently they also developed them in conjunction with Panasonic and one of the specifications of the discs was that the loading times were reduced from other modern discs (likely referring to Blu-Ray). I was never too sure how that worked, but it was a claim Nintendo made in an IR report one time.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a Switch but why is Nintendo seemingly allergic to using normal forms of storage?
A part of it is probably a legacy of piracy fears. I remember back in the early 2000s running across folks who had binders full of burned DVDs they could play in their modded PS2s. Not quite so easy to pull off with a GameCube.

Having said that, I think the Wii U discs were basically blu-ray discs outside of the rounded edges, right? And the Wii just used DVDs.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Sorry, GameCube mini discs were the king.

They also had a classy understated single colour plus black colour motif, similar to Japanese Saturn games.

ad69cf5b0a4f24cc17ef7a9ab6685d36446648f0.jpeg

2cc4048df3a896fb283864202714bc6b7d26dcd2.jpeg
8b617de3646a88e4b7ba9db96123f260d3e7d742.jpeg

34d544f94f664484dbaf7fe7f8ef93fd2ca25d8a.jpeg
6a680c035ae396c091ea41f23c8aeeac85621013.jpeg

(pics from this thread)

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Completely fucking right. Those edges god what a joy. Legit don't understand how that isn't default going forward. Every single time I touch a Wii U disc I stop to admire them in my hands.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Surprised people are talking about the scratches. I assumed they had the same protective coating as blurays and never took very good care of my discs. Never had any issues, even with my NSMBU that rode in my car console for a couple of years.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Wow.

I literally never knew this was a thing.

I really mean this: thank you for sharing. I'm going to find a friend with a WiiU so I can touch the disc.

I've literally owned every Nintendo home console ever, except the Wii U. So bizarre I missed this and had never heard about it till now.

Thanks!

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you can fit a Switch cartridge in your mouth and bite it. You can't do it with a disc.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
The rounded disk edges were hard to beat. I'm an optical media fan — still burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays — and I can't get enough of the Wii U media.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama

Wii and Wii U had normal forms of storage.

Wii used normal DVD discs in single and double layer variations. the Wii U's discs were as capable as Bluray discs. the console never lived long enough to see a double layered disc though.
being unable to play DVDs was entirely on them not wanting to pay the DVD fee.