• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
mR6IVt.png

Nintendo has had a wildly successful year with the launch of the Switch and a slew of desirable first-party releases every few months, and it looks to maintain that momentum through the holiday season and beyond. For many people the Switch has brought them back to Nintendo consoles after years apart, and the main reason for that was the commercial failure of its predecessor: the Wii U.

Anyone who was following the Wii U's pre- and post-launch marketing knows exactly why it failed. Nintendo did not do nearly enough to communicate to the general public just what the hell it was, and it seemed as though they were resting on their laurels from the lightning-in-a-bottle success that they had with the Wii appealing to a fledgling casual gamer crowd that had all but moved on completely to mobile gaming by the time the Wii U hit stores. The writing was on the wall for the Wii U's commercial failure less than a year after its release, but that didn't stop Nintendo from supporting it with killer first-party software as always.

And that's what this thread is about. I personally think that the Wii U's strong (but small) software library will give it a sort of Dreamcast-esque prestige in years to come. Its low production numbers and unique controller make it desirable for collectors down the road, and the fact that it played host to a number of top-notch local multiplayer offerings (again like the Dreamcast) makes it worth having in any gamer's home. Combine those factors with its native backwards compatibility with all Wii software and controllers and you've got the perfect recipe for an underappreciated console that will garner a strong cult following years later.

Honestly, I spent more time with my Wii U and its games than I did with my PS4 or PC during those few years of support from Nintendo. It was a mainstay at game nights with friends because everyone could bring over their old Wiimotes and partake in some 4, 5, or even 8-player action. (e.g. Smash 4). It might actually be the best local multiplayer console I've ever owned, and that's a true rarity in the current market.

But enough history lessons and personal anedcotes. Let's get to the games. In this thread I'd like for you to select what you feel to be the best game on the Wii U. Which game do you think will best carry the torch for the Wii U's retrospectively underappreciated legacy?

It's a tough call for me, but all things considered I think I'll have to go with Smash 4.

ymmaQp.jpg

While Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are right up there with it in terms of play time for me and Mario Marker has arguably the best utilization of the Wii U's unique gamepad, I think I'll have to give the nod to Smash 4. I was never into Smash Bros. at all despite being an avid fighting game player who has competed in tournaments and followed the scene for decades. I used to dismiss Smash games as party games being shoehorned into 1v1 fighting game paradigms for the sake of competition, but Smash 4 changed my perception of the series completely and made me a huge fan.

The first thing that stuck out to me when I started playing Smash 4 was how absolutely dense it was with content. The roster is huge, the stage selection is fantastic and diverse, there are an assortment of offline and online modes, and the unlockables area of the game acted as the most robust and polished virtual Nintendo museum I've ever seen. The whole game was clearly a labor of love by the developers. They really went all out making sure Smash 4 was a big, complete, and fun game. It's also important, I think, because it was the sole reason for a long time that Wii U's were being purchased for tournament use. Smash 4 would go on to succeed where Brawl failed at generating a sizeable competitive community that can stand toe-to-toe with the everlasting diehard Melee community. It may have even surpassed Melee in terms of sheer numbers for tournament registrations, but I could be wrong in that assumption.

The Wii U had many more excellent games that very easily could've been my pick for this thread, but I think that the first HD Smash game that managed to be competitively viable whilst still maintaining its casual appeal edges out the rest. The Wii U is also still the only place to play Smash 4, which gives it a small advantage over MK8 for the purposes of this thread. That might change next year, of course, and I personally hope it does. I'd love to have Smash 4 Deluxe on my Switch.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
"Best" is an easy way to start fights, and honestly I don't feel the Wii U is worth fighting over. I will say that I easily put the most hours into Hyrule Warriors though.

Oct 25, 2017
Breath.

It's a Wii U game 1st and a Switch game second, moreso since the Wii U version was intentionally crippled due to it. Huge bias considering I bought the console for said game though. It has around a dozen must play exclusives.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit that is a hard question!

BotW, smash 4 and MK8 are the easy answers but I will go with Yoshi Wooly World because of how underated and how it will probably never be ported to anything remaining a true WiiU exclusive gem

Todd Black

Nov 3, 2017
Not including BOTW (as I want to talk exclusives) I'd say either Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, or Xenoblade Chronicles X. OH! And Tropical Freeze

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
My favorite WiiU game was Xenoblade Chronicles X. I suppose the "best" overall game would probably be 3d World or Mario Kart. Or Bayonetta 2.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing this was intended as a joke post, but I think I had the most fun playing this out of all of the titles I tried (and I played all the major ones). I'd rate it my #1.

edit: I should clarify that this doesn't mean I think is a polished well designed experience, far from it. But it had a lot of silly charm and I could see what they were going for and had fun playing it.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know how to judge in terms of objective quality or whatever, but my absolute favorites were Splatoon and The Wonderful 101.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Maker was the essential title that I got it for, but it has plenty of amazing titles.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a really tough question. The Wii U, both in terms of hardware and software, was criminally underappreciated I know that much.

To me it's a close competition between 3D World and Tropical Freeze. I'd say BotW is there too, but it's definitively played on the Switch so I'm not sure about considering it as the Wii U's top game.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Super Mario 3D World was the best for me.

Mind you, I missed quite a few of the hidden gems like Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and Tokyo Mirage Sessions because I got bored of the system pretty quickly.

CavZee

Nov 6, 2017
Bayo2, Smash, or maybe Tropical Freeze are my 3 favorites. TW101 honorable mention.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Not including Breath of the Wild, the best game on the Wii U is easily Tropical Freeze.

It's in the top 5 (possibly even top 3) best games Nintendo has ever made. It's the perfect game.

I'm still waiting on that Switch port...

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Breath of the Wild by far. It's not even close.

Also, I'm somewhat surprised at the love Mario Kart 8 gets. That game was a huge disappointment to me despite it's smooth performance and gorgeous visuals. Horrendous single player experience, uninspired track design, too much rehashed content from prior games, no proper battle mode... At least Switch gave us a better version of the game.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I still can't believe how much I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors ... I still listen to its music while I'm at the gym. Honestly would have preferred Hyrule Warriors DX over FE Warriors.

But the best of the best for me is DKC Tropical Freeze.

I hate these threads because I start thinking of all the games that I want to buy again on Switch.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Mario Kart 8, but in all honesty I completely neglected my WiiU and sort of regret it now but also don't have to time or the money to go through its backlog. I didn't even get to 3D World or Treasure Tracker or Wonderful 101 or Xenoblade.

I wanted to love Smash but had nobody to play it with (womp womp) and I suck at it so online play with randos was an exercise in being rubbish at the game. I love getting back from the pub with a friend and getting our arses handed to us in Mario Kart by randoms from across the globe, but the same just isn't true of Smash for me.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I can't pick just one. Just too many stellar games. Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Rokudze

Oct 27, 2017
Russia
Beyonetta 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles X. Sorry, but for some reasons (one of them - standard gamepad) i didn't like Mario 3D World, SSB U (but brawl on wii was okay) and DK Country: TF.
But also that console has back compat with Wii - and it was really nice addition for me.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
As much as the Wii U gets hated on (which in all fairness, is earned. Especially when you look at year one Switch), I really did enjoy my time with the system, more so than the original Wii by a large margin. Despite having suffered through some severe droughts, the first party offering is absolutely bonkers on that system.

As for my favorite game, that'd absolutely have to go to Xenoblade Chronicles X. I've now logged in over 175 hours into the game and I'm still finding out new things. It isn't perfect by any means and has some very questionable design decisions, but man, it's pretty much the game of my dreams and despite being super excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I'd be very surprised if it enters the same stratosphere as Chronicles X.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
Although the Wii U was considered a failure for Nintendo I think Nintendo released a good number of quality first party games and introducing new IP's such as Splatoon and Captain Toad for example. MK8 and Tropical Freeze would be my favourite Wii U games mainly because they bring back some N64 nostalgia.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions were the highlights for me personally. HW got me into musou games and TMS was an absolute joy to play.

Honourable mention: Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water. Normally I'm not really into horror games but I loved this one. It made creative use of the gamepad and had a very creepy atmosphere.

There were more games I really enjoyed on the platform like W101, Pikmin 3 and the Wind Waker remaster.

It was a great system. The Luigi ghost minigame in Nintendoland delivered me a ton of awesome birthday party's.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much bought my Wii U for Splatoon.

No regrets, it's become one of my favorite franchises in a long time. Hundreds of hours of rage, tears and booyahs.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 2 was what i bought the console for and it fully delivered, so that.

What are the chances it gets brought over/ported to the switch do you think?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Bayo2 or Tropical Freeze most likely. One to show what the console was capable of (and is why I bought the system in the first place), the other because it shows how a well made platformer can still shine in today's gaming world.
Of the consoles I've used/owned as an adult, I can see it having the longest shelf life, as the local multi and strong 1st party titles have a lot of replayability.