• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best Zelda game of these three releases was...

• The Wind Waker

Votes: 856 60.4%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 417 29.4%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 144 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Which of these was the best game overall in your opinion?

A trilogy of Zelda games designed and released for systems of a similar technical prowess.

I always thought that after ALttP, LA, OoT and MM, that these three games represented a drop in quality for the series. The game were still very good but were also quite flawed.

Wind Waker was unfinished, a lot about Twilight Princess, dungeons aside, was a bit flat and Skyward Sword was the same in that regard.

Having said that all the games also had a lot going for them: Wind Waker was beautiful, the music was great and the game had so much charm. Twilight Princess had arguably the best 3D dungeons in the series and Skyward Sword saw an improvement on the overly easy boss fights found in the last two games.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker has aged beautifully, has its own unique elements that differentiate it more and a sense of adventure no other Zelda had.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's Wind Waker for a variety of reasons but on my own personal scale, Skyward Sword isn't too far behind.

Twilight Princess is fine, just didn't leave an impression like the other two did for me and I find no real interest whenever I try to go back to it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Wind Waker pushed just a LITTLE more I'd give it the upper hand. But the dungeons are some of the worst batch (taken together), the islands are relatively uneventful (despite how novel the idea), and Tetra gets robbed of an awesome role to play waif. Wind Waker is really close, but I give like a hair of an edge to Twilight Princess for having like the only time I've really enjoyed seeing a bustling and 'full' Hyrule and the one time Link got a really fun partner.

Skyward won't rank compared to these two. I love so much about it, but hate a bit more.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the length and cut content it's Wind Waker. Weird how that one has the best "game feel" out of all of them.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't able to finish Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, so I guess it's Wind Waker by default.

But at the same time, Wind Waker's dungeons weren't that enjoyable and that endgame was taxing, so it was one of the reasons why I wasn't able to get into later 3D Zelda's anyway until Breath of the Wild...

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
wind waker destroys both in every way outside of dungeons

(it's better than botw too)

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess is a masterpiece. Skyward Sword is flawed, but still gets a lot right. Wind Waker... has an okay artstyle I guess.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker is a pretty poor excuse of a game, unfinished, unpolished and feigning ambition just to throw the player in a massive world that has little to find and is boring to navigate. It's only redeeming factor is the fact that it can be held against Breath of the Wild to show how much Nintendo has learned about designing worlds and its artstyle.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess for sure. Not perfect but the high points of this game are great.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker is lacking in the gameplay department, Twilight Princess has my least favourite Zelda artstyle, SS has a great style and great dungeons.

Also nothing in the other two comes close to the time-stone desert in Skyward Sword.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
WW is way better than TP in my rating. I'm not sure how Skyward stacks up there. I've only played it once, but I really enjoyed it.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess has the better story and better dungeons therefor... Twilight Princess.

Edit: Skyward Sword actually has the best dungeons of the three but as a whole Twilight Princess is better.

Aug 28, 2019
I haven't played Wind Waker yet, so I guess I won't vote, but I liked Twilight Princess a lot more than Skyward Sword.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Rough era for console Zelda.* WW easily the best looking and the most fun to pick up and play -- also one of the stronger stories in the series. But man are its dungeons bad. TP is sort of the opposite. Ugly for long stretches, tough to replay because you know you have to wade through the miserable first few hours, but the dungeons are terrific. Skyward Sword shares some of TP's virtues and vices, except where TP rounds into form, SS just keeps being annoying.

*tbf, PH and ST were even worse.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Twilight Princess, and I'd even put Skyward Sword over Windwaker, which has to be the most overrated Zelda game in existance. Outside of it's artstyle, it's subpar in nearly every way.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Changed my vote to Twilight Princess because I forgot it had fishing and Wind Waker does not.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Twilight Princess, easily, and it's in my top 3 games of the series. Skyward Sword was great too minus the filler, but Wind Waker used to be my least liked Zelda ever until BotW came out. It has nothing going for it, especially dungeons.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, thinking about it and I may have just given WW the vote because of its music and story, I don't actually think it plays better than TP, and SS has the better level design. I just remembered those two being a bit of a letdown for me, while WW wasn't.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Which of these was the best game overall in your opinion?

A trilogy of Zelda games designed and released for systems of a similar technical prowess.

I always thought that after ALttP, LA, OoT and MM, that these three games represented a drop in quality for the series. The game were still very good but were also quite flawed.

Wind Waker was unfinished, a lot about Twilight Princess, dungeons aside, was a bit flat and Skyward Sword was the same in that regard.

Having said that all the games also had a lot going for them: Wind Waker was beautiful, the music was great and the game had so much charm. Twilight Princess had arguably the best 3D dungeons in the series and Skyward Sword saw an improvement on the overly easy boss fights found in the last two games.
Wind Waker has way too many boring sections that always put me off replaying. TP is still the overall better package despite its slow opening. SS was promising but was so frustrating for me that I only beat it once. I loved the central hub town though and spent a lot of time fulfilling side quests.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
At this point I'm assuming that most people have the reverse effect of the "mature" trend from the 2000s because otherwise, I don't see any reason to consider WW a better game than TP.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
In the GC days it was TP all the way. Way more dungeons, no tedious fetch quest. Today, WW by far. The old Zelda formula wears thin in TP. In WW there's only 4 dungeons plus the fetch quest was dramatically reduced. WW art style aged way better. I also enjoy the open world of WW. I'm really hoping BotW2 has some open sailing in addition to exploring full continents and islands.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword has the highest highs, but TP is probably the most consistent game overall, Wind Waker is my least favourite 3D Zelda.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think many are a bit blinded by WW's beautiful and hardly aged visuals, when they say it is the best. Twilight Princess looks a lot more dated now, yes, but it had the by far better gameplay, dungeons, story and the best sidekick of the entire series with Midna.