• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best Zelda game of these three releases was...

• The Wind Waker

Votes: 856 60.4%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 417 29.4%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 144 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Wind Waker is the worst. Boring sea sections and dungeons. TP is well balanced, but SS has best dungeons.
I think I like SS more because TP has a very bleak style.

I think many are a bit blinded by WW's beautiful and hardly aged visuals, when they say it is the best. Twilight Princess looks a lot more dated now, yes, but it had the by far better gameplay, dungeons, story and the best sidekick of the entire series with Midna.
Agree.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker all the way. I've tried to force myself to play through Twilight Princess a couple of times but have dropped it halfway both times. I barely made it past the first couple of hours of Skyward Sword.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Twilight Princess for me.

All three games has flaws, but Wind Waker is kinda incomplete due to Nintendo promise to not delay the game and it shows later in the game and reports of the two missing dungeons. I love the premise of a giant sea to explore, but in the end there was only a few islands with a decent size, and only very few of the others had something interesting to do/see, I always expected a semi-big peninsula along with the islands, and the teasing of a submerged Hyrule you can't actually explore was a bit of a let down back in the time.

Skyward Sword is the first (and only) game in the main series I didn't have any real desire to finish: Very linear, separated areas, a bad use of the Sky map, too many "puzzle after puzzle" situations and few exploration so you feel like you're playing a bunch of minigames tied together instead of adventuring, the three times you have to fight the monster, the infamous hand-holding and Fi's excessive interruptions... Music and some dungeons were great, though. As an origin story, I expected way more lore.

Twilight Princess has a very very slow start until you get to the first dungeon and until you're free to explore Hyrule. I followed years and years of development and many things showed in early trailers didn't end up in the final game. They also didn't develop NPC as much as they could to make them interesting, but overall is the best of the three, IMO.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All of them are really good games, but I like Twilight Princess best. Dungeons, music and atmosphere are just stellar.
Skyward Sword has the best combat of them but otherwise it doesn't feel quite as fleshed out.
Wind Waker had some special moments but in the end felt a bit rushed, and I don't enjoy the art design as much as others seem to do.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker has a better sense of exploration for me. It's more like an experience than a game, and the world is really rich and diverse, which is one of the reasons it holds itself so well even today. Twilight Princess on the other hand is more grounded and offers a different experience.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
WW > TP > SS

WW has weaker dungeons and padding at the end, but it's overall better package for me

SS and TP are evenly for me, but SS it's more padded and some other things like Fi, flying and swimming just annoy me on replays more

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Skyward Sword by far imo. Wind Waker is super pretty but lacks really good dungeons, while Twilight Princess has good dungeons but the artstyle isn't that great. Both WW and TP have overworlds that are too big for what they have to offer content-wise so SS takes it easily for me, and that's without mentioning SS's story, soundtrack, dungeons, characters, etc.

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
WW for now, I need to play TP again, hopefully on the switch. Skyward Sword I didn't finish it.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Midna and Wolf Link, and have really fond memories of getting a Wii at launch and popping open Zelda.

Wind Waker has so much charm though...

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Definitely Wind Waker, it has the best art style and environments (including dungeons) of the 3 games. A distant second would be Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword another tier below that (still good though).

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
WW was my favorite 3D zelda until BoTW.

I really think Skyward could be amazing if they updated it. Lots of great ideas in that game and an art style that needed better hardware to bring it to life.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I think both Windwaker and Twilight princess are great in their own ways. Skyward sword I never finished since I loathe motion controls.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I voted for WW but it could go to TP just as well. Both are great games on their own with some unfortunately glaring flaws. I think what makes people love WW that much more than TP, besides the art style, is that WW's opening hours are far more entertaining and enjoyable, but when TP gets going there's not that much to criticise.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
WindWaker felt the least guided, which, growing up on NES Zelda and aLTTP is more what I want out of my Zelda experience. Don't get me wrong. There was still a lot of tutorializing and the game was far from being "difficult", but it felt like it set me out on my own a lot earlier in the game than TP or SS did. Twilight Princess is my #2 because of no forced motion control gimmick (I played on Gamecube), and SS is a distant...like 10th...I'll take either of the DS games, or pretty much any mainline/handheld Zelda (except Links Adventure and Majora's Mask), over Skyward Sword. It might even be worse than Majora's. Skyward Sword is the only one that I've ever been so bored from that I never finished it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I very much enjoyed all three for different reasons and don't think one stands *that* much higher above the other, but ranked, I'd say WW > SS > TP.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
I have Wind Waker and Skyward Sword as the two worst 3D Zelda's so I've gotta go with Twilight Princess.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to decide between the three. TP has the best dungeons, WW has the best artstyle and illusion of exploration, SS has the best gameplay and interesting new ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
As for the style, WW >>>>>>>>> everything else in gaming.

As a traditional Zelda game, TP > WW > SS. Note that's not necessarily positive, TP is so traditional it feels really derivative. I think it's the game which showed that OoT formula run its course.

As an experience SS > WW > TP. SS is very flawed, but it's also really unique with lots of good moments.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
If only WW had good dungeons... Everything else feels so much more special and inspired than TP.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The Wind Waker and it's not even close. It doesn't even begin to be close. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword don't even deserve to be mentioned alongside The Wind Waker other than all of them belonging to the same Zelda "trio" release-wise.

The Wind Waker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyward Sword = Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword has the better soundtrack, art style, combat, difficulty balance (still not great but TP's is just abysmal), story, and characters (except for Midna). Twilight Princess has the better world structure + design and dungeons by far, though.

But The Wind Waker, despite its well-documented faults, puts both to shame in every area other than dungeons (though I would say the best of TWW's dungeons stand toe-to-toe with the best TP and SS have to offer). My favorite 3D Zelda and one of my top three Zelda games of all time, and the HD version just elevates it even further.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Twilight Princess I'd say is probably the most well rounded Zelda game of those three, but Wind Waker will always have a spacial place in my heart and be my favorite of those.

Wind Waker atmosphere, music, and style are absolutely fantastic and still hold up amazingly well.
The different islands you explore were so much fun, I never get tired of exploring the world.
Pretty much the only downside for me is the lack of dungeons. I always prefer a good overworld to dungeons in Zelda games, but even I needed like 1 or 2 more.
It's HD remake was also a disappointment because of what they did to the visuals, the bloom it added was completely unnecessary and just makes it look worse. Emulating it on PC is the only true way to play it IMO, even with the remakes quality of life improvements.

Twilight Princess I like the overworld fine, it has lots of fun dungeons, and it's a pretty meaty game, but it just lacks something that makes it truly special.

Skyward Sword I stopped playing soon after getting the sword. Really disliked the motion controls, I'd honestly take TP's waggle controls over SS's precise controls, I don't want to be swinging my arm around to do simple things like cutting grass.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo tough but I chose Skyward. It was either that or TP for me. Was never too huge on WW.

Skyward Sword may be my all time favorite Zelda actually.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I chose Twilight but Wind Waker is great too. TP just has those giant big dungeons. And dual hook shots!
Skyward Sword is absolutely the worst 3D Zelda.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess starts very slow, but the second half is actually some of the best Zelda experiences to be had. Also, Midna is the best Zelda character.

Wind Waker as a whole beats it handily though. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that many/most islands are too small and meaningless. I like that there aren't too many dungeons.

Skyward Sword doesn't belong with the other two, it's way way worse.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
For style, Wind Waker is the best, no question, but it is a chore to play through sometimes, particularly on second, or more, play-throughs. Even with its drawn-out opening sequences, Twilight Princess, on the whole, is just easier to get into and is more engaging, in my opinion. The dungeons make for the biggest advantage.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think many are a bit blinded by WW's beautiful and hardly aged visuals, when they say it is the best. Twilight Princess looks a lot more dated now, yes, but it had the by far better gameplay, dungeons, story and the best sidekick of the entire series with Midna.
It's story and sense of adventure and exploration take a massive shit on the others though. Got so much joy out of exploring and charting islands on my map even when there was not much there.

even with old 3D Zeldas, there's more to them than just dungeons. And Wind Walkers worse dungeons are nothing compared to TP's beginning slog and boring as fuck overworld

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Twilight Princess has the best dungeons in the series. Hands down. Forest Temple and Goron Mines are a little basic, though still better than most of the early level dungeons and other games. From that point on, they are all incredible.

Wind Waker has some amazing moments and is gorgeous, but it's just too damned empty. Plus, in contrast to TP it has probably the worst dungeons in the series.

As for Skyward Sword... Well is solid but just not my thing.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess. And it's not even close for me. Sure, the artstyle in WW and SS is much nicer, but everything else is simply done better in TP. From enemies, to dungeons, to pacing, everything is better in TP. Only thing I hated was all the padding in the first few hours, but the other games are also guilty of this.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think Wind Waker has the best world, artstyle and charm while the dungeons are mediocre and unmemorable. Twilight Princess has the best dungeons but the world is boring and the artstyle is kinda ugly. Skyward Sword doesn't really excel in any particular place, but it's pretty good at everything and is the best overall package I think.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
TP - Big but boring and empty world, slow start, bad item use, I didnt like dark world, great dungeons, great bosses
SS - Terrible backtracking, Annoying Fi, side quests only at Skyloft, great story, great dungeons
WW - Lacs at least one bigger island and 1-2 dungeons more, great overworld, great atmosphere, most charming Zelda game

For me:
WW>SS>TP

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
THIS, it's incredible how artstyle let ppl forget how poor WW is in terms of contents and quality of them... it's like an unfinished alpha...

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
1 thing they have in common that they're all great games and have the best dungeons in Zelda games.

I love The Wind Waker the most then Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
WW - barren overworld, small amount of lacklustre dungeons.
SS - barren overworld, repetitive 'levels' and bosses
TP - *chef's kiss*

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Wind Waker's the worst but of course it's gonna win *eyeroll*. Worst dungeons and music. Worst fetch quest. Tedious sailing and wind stuff. Etc.

TP is the best. Those dungeons and that atmosphere are still a series high.

SS had amazing music and atmosphere as well.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
WW has better art style and general poetry
TP has (way) better dungeons
SS has (way) better "tutorial-less" beginning, way better characters, and a great dungeon-like overworld concept (the exact opposite compared to BotW)

At the end of the day, I think I enjoyed TP the most

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The only things I don't really like about TP are:
  1. Slow start.
  2. Too damn easy.
Everything else about it is wonderful.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker looks nice and all but I can't bring myself to ever replay it, and if I did I would just go straight between dungeons. Skyward Sword I want to give another chance, my main memory of it aside from not liking the motion controls was having to go through the same three areas multiple times and I didn;t finish it.

Twilight Princess would be my choice even if you had included the rest of the series

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker is an 8. Twilight Princess is a 7. Haven't played SS.

Do yourself a favor and skip it. It all starts to crumble after the third dungeon. The padding becomes insane at that point and it never gets better for the next 40 hours.

Wind Waker's the worst but of course it's gonna win *eyeroll*. Worst dungeons and music. Worst fetch quest. Tedious sailing and wind stuff. Etc.
Wut? While i'm also not going to defend Wind Waker's fetch quest, Skyward Sword has much more filler overall and fetch quest, it isn't even a comparison.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I find Twilight Princess much easier to replay becauses it becomes a dungeon-a- thon with 7 main dungeons and two smaller ones. The 3 Twilight Realm sections don't live to their horror potential but are not as bad as the weaknesses of SS and TWW, with the horrible Triforce quest, the faffing around in SS's 3 same areas and interesting but imperfect controls.

I know why TWW is winning, it has an ambitious story, some charming graphics and the hub Windfall Island is one of the top towns in the series, but the massive and empty ocean, Triforce quest indeed sucks and there's some of the most shallow dungeons in the series.

In my opinion TP > SS > WW , they can be occasionally great at times but overall middling Zelda games.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TWW has stellar presentation but shite content
TP has trash presentation and decent content
SS has good presentation and good content, despite some filler

Voted SS.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TWW has stellar presentation but shite content
TP has trash presentation and decent content
SS has good presentation and good content, despite some filler

Voted SS.
Saying SS has filler feels like an unstatement to me. I think that game would have been great if a third of it was optional and would have really improved the pacing. I find the pacing in TP breezy after Lake Hylia's twilight realm.