• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better Show?

• The Wire

Votes: 550 61.3%
  • Breaking Bad

Votes: 347 38.7%

• Total voters

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire all day ever day I watch the whole show yearly and it always surprises.

Breaking bad floated in suspending disbelief territory on multiple occasions.

Also BB leaned a little into dare I say a particular kind of male power fantasy especially in the later seasons. Plus the cop out way they had Walter deal with the nazi scumbags he happily had doing killings for him so he could go out a martyr instead of the scumbag he was. Rubbed me slighty the wrong way.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is so minor. Shop lifting was a part of 1 or 2 episodes? Compare that to Wire's whole last season being shitty.

That's why I gave a few examples and there are several more. The show has great writing but it's generally all about Walt but since he's the main driving force of the entire show this works pretty well.

As to The Wire's 5th season. Calling it shit is the worst kind of hyperbole. The newspaper stuff and the serial killer story is all anyone cites because Bubbles entire part was some of the most heart breaking and cathartic TV to ever grace the medium. Then let's not forget the often dark descent most of the boys end up going through including what happens to Dookie and Michael. The Wire's 5th season is still a step up above the best season of any other show.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I need to check out Deadwood.

Anything from Sorkin is going to have amazing dialogue (though I still put the Wire at the top but this is a worthy contender as well) and Mad Men was incredibly well done

As a parent for me by far the saddest shit in the Wire is how fucked so many of those kids are. Has there ever been a better betrayal than what happened to Wallace? God that was so well done and I can't imagine living in a world where you get got by your best friends/family.

I thought the school was season 4 though and 5 was that horrible newspaper angle. That was the only one that I thought didn't work well (maybe just me).

Wallace was great but the arcs for all the season 4/5 kids were better in my mind. Probably because Wallace's story was super short by comparison.

The meat of Season 5 wasn't as good as 4 but the last few episodes still ended the show as a whole really well. I felt like I was hate watching around episodes 6-8 of Season 5 but then it all really came together after moving partially away from the newspaper garbage and then went into the long epilogue. The epilogue really drove the point home about what the show was all about.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wallace was great but the arcs for all the season 4/5 kids were better in my mind. Probably because Wallace's story was super short by comparison.

The meat of Season 5 wasn't as good as 4 but the last few episodes still ended the show as a whole really well. I felt like I was hate watching around episodes 6-8 of Season 5 but then it all really came together after moving partially away from the newspaper garbage and then went into the long epilogue. The epilogue really drove the point home about what the show was all about.
I think the trial of the senator was also in season 5 and that was pretty memorable as well.

I agree with you on the ending which was perfectly done.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory:

thewirecharacters_775fzj4c.jpg

Each and every character in the show is memorable. Even the security guy from the food mart or the dude that ran the small store in the corner. Hell I even remember the supplier that got shot by Chris in that store to try and frame Omar.

The Wire is just a magnificent show that no other has been able to match for me (aside from The Sopranos).

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory:

thewirecharacters_775fzj4c.jpg

Each and every character in the show is memorable. Even the security guy from the food mart or the dude that ran the small store in the corner. Hell I even remember the supplier that got shot by Chris in that store to try and frame Omar.

The Wire is just a magnificent show that no other has been able to match for me (aside from The Sopranos).

Badger and Skinny Pete alone > all of those characters though