• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better Show?

• The Wire

Votes: 550 61.3%
  • Breaking Bad

Votes: 347 38.7%

• Total voters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say a bad thing about Breaking Bad but the Wire is the best written tv show I have ever seen. It also had so many characters that it's almost not fair to compare it to other shows.

So the correct answer has to be the Wire.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I'm from Baltimore so I may be a bit biased but The Wire is the greatest television show ever made.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire may have some insight but Breaking Bad is acually an entertaing show.

Going to annoy some people and say GOT series 1-4 is better than either.

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire, easily. It's one of the few shows I can constantly rewatch. On my third now, just started season three.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Bad easily, but I expect The wire to take it on Era.

EDIT: Of course. So predictable, lol

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire. Best TV show ever made. Biggest difference for me is that The Wire doesn't have bad episodes, while BB has things like the S2 stuck in the desert episode or the S3 fly episode that feel like a complete waste of time.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say, because it's kind of an odd comparison. The Wire is a serious work with a lot to say. Breaking Bad is pulpy and entertaining. Not that it doesn't say something but the shows are really clearly different tones.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 and 4 of the wire put it up on a pedestal that few shows can touch, including breaking bad.

I guess you could say Breaking Bad might have higher highs because of it's more bombastic approach to storytelling/filmmaking but perhaps that's not really fair.

either way, gun to my head, I'm rewatching The Wire.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire is more ambitious, structurally complex, and has more to say. Breaking Bad is tighter, better paced, more entertaining, and more rewatchable. There's no performance on The Wire on Cranston's level, and Breaking Bad does more visually. Its shots are beautifully composed with an artistic flair similar paintings & photographs. David Porter's OST is tremendous as well, extremely underrated.

Mad Men is the GOAT, though

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Omitting The Sopranos from this thread seems like a big mistake since that's the show most commonly cited as the greatest of all time. I don't think Breaking Bad is even in the top five.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I think The Wire is the better & deeper overall show but Breaking Bad is more of an adrenaline rush. Both excelled at what they set out to do.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire brings the feel of urban crime novels to TV and that's a really hard thing to do. It's willing to be boring, like those great Richard Price and George Pelecanos novels, to set up all of the details that make the story pay off in ways TV almost never does.

It's also full of stiff acting and not really cinematically ambitious at all, two things Breaking Bad is much better at.

I have to go with The Wire. It's much more audacious and a richer experience overall. Breaking Bad ultimately slots among several other flowery Complex Man shows like The Sopranos (which remains the best by far, seriously, rewatch it) and Mad Men, and to me has been outclassed by its own prequel. Saul is a more compelling tragic figure and the characters/actors around him are really strong. Walter was basically a total sociopath from day one who only seemed sympathetic because of his shitty life situation.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
"cinematically" i guess it's no competition. The Wire is a piece of art basically. As well as BB is written and directed it's essentially pulp entertainment

different sides of the coin, imo. could go either way

jml

Mar 9, 2018
There's no performance on The Wire on Cranston's level, and Breaking Bad does more visually. Its shots are beautifully composed with an artistic flair similar paintings & photographs. David Porter's OST is tremendous as well, extremely underrated.

I don't have an issue with most of your post but I think saying there's no performance in The Wire on Cranston's level is a bit unfair to The Wire because of how the shows took two vastly different approaches to casting. Breaking Bad was pretty much the Walt and Jesse show. The Wire on the other hand had an ensemble of dozens of different characters who played big roles and there wasn't really one "main character". Cranston may have put in the best performance from either show but it's not really an apples to apples comparison imo.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The Wire S1-S3 is better than Breaking Bad.
Breaking Bad is better than The Wire S1-S5.

D'Angelo explaining economics is brilliant.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The Wire is about the story of a city, all the characters are just acting around it.
Breaking Bad is about the story of a man, all the other characters are just around him.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bizarre mix of smugness and condescension over one of the most acclaimed series in history being...shock...liked.
Why are you reading any condescension or smugness in the post? Where do you get me having any issues with it being liked?
My post is simple:
  • I like Breaking Bad more (which says nothing about my opinion on The Wire)
  • I know Era likes The Wire more, and I expect it to win the poll
  • I see that predictably enough, The Wire has won the poll
Why was this hard to get?

Roosevelt

Nov 10, 2017
This is like comparing the latest Avengers movie to Citizen Kane. Sure, Breaking Bad is entertaining, arguably even more more entertaining, but it has nowhere near the ambition or storytelling that The Wire has.

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire for me and it's not even a contest. I enjoyed BB but it doesn't come close and feels like a more basic show in comparison (though, to be fair, most shows do in comparison to the Wire).

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
leftovers deserves to be in the top tier along with the wire, sopranos, breaking bad, mad men

shame nobody watched it except for TV critics lol

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

I'm almost done with the Shield and I have to say, this show deserves to be in the conversation with the Sopranos and the Wire and I have no idea why it isn't talked about more. I guess because it isn't an HBO series it doesn't have that level of prestige attached to it, but it's seriously incredible television.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
GOT (1-6) is the best and the most ambitious thing that happened on television. What a great, rewarding arc.

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire edges Breaking Bad out for me.

Also, GOAT tiering;

The Wire
Six Feet Under
Breaking Bad

Band of Brothers
When They See Us
Chernobyl

True Detective S1

Expecting Mindhunter and Dark and Haunting Of to join this list eventually. Black Mirror's first 3 or 4 series also could qualify.