• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better Show?

• The Wire

Votes: 550 61.3%
  • Breaking Bad

Votes: 347 38.7%

• Total voters

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Breaking Bad had some truly captivating, thrilling scenes and it's writing was pretty air tight but the Wire just feels far more important and better to me. I do like the Sopranos better than both though.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
I've rewatched BB a few times and I've found myself a bit bored more and more each time looking forward to the next big thing that happens (still a great show). The Wire has me hooked with each episode each time.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The Wire is the best show of all time. Breaking Bad is one of the best shows of all time.

So The Wire.

tK4CWNw.gif

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Love em them. Season 2 of the Wire is not so great and in comparision to the other seasons the weakest. Breaking Bad doesn't have "this" season. But then again, I like the characters more on the Wire.
Does a fusion count... like Breaking Wire?

Oct 27, 2017
Breaking Bad. I have watched the series in it's entirety 4 times. More than any other show. It's my #1 favorite show of all time, right next to the likes of Prison Break, Sons of Anarchy, LOST, Dexter, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc.

The Wire is pretty good, but I wouldn't feel the need to rank it higher than The Sopranos or The Shield or any other similar show. It's a quality series, but it just doesn't have the special spark or phenomenal casting choices as BB that truly separate it from the rest. The Wire does have one thing going for it though -- it feels very authentic and gritty, and usually takes less artistic liberties than BB to keep the story interesting. However, I still find the "drama" of BB to be so much more entertaining, consistent and wholesome. There is a really good sense of dynamics and pacing and storytelling in BB that you don't get with shows like The Wire. Can't deny that The Wire is a very well written show though.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love The Wire - Breaking Bad.

Sopranos is in between.

Honestly, The Wire and Breaking Bad are on different levels of awesome. I wouldn't pit them against each other personally.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised no one has posted the "why not both" girl yet.

I also voted The Wire. Even on a second watch, its feels important. Even the docks season, which felt like grinding through a boring RPG to get to the cool boss fight.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wire is the reason a show like Breaking Bad could exist - so that's why I'll give it the edge

Although both are absolute masterful shows in their own right

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Wire once and really didn't like Season 2 and 5 at all. The other 3 seasons were kinda good, but probably nothing I'd watch again. Breaking Bad was thrilling from beginning to end with no bad seasons, with great characters, great acting, great writing, great cinematography, great music, and I think is infinitely rewatchable.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I used to think I preferred Breaking Bad just slightly (which I've watched start to finish 2 times) but I'm a few eps away from finishing my second full viewing of The Wire and I think it may just be the better show.

I bet if I rewatched Breaking Bad again I'd change my answer again. They're just both so damned good.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Wire by a universe.

People say BB is more entertaining but I find The Wire far more entertaining. I guess it depends on what you find entertaining but I can't count how many times I've rewatched it. The conversations get better on rewatch. The jokes are funnier on rewatch. And the revolving door of side character hijanks is way more fun to revisit than any of the side character drama in BB that doesn't immediately deal with Walt. I'd dread having to watch that kleptomaniac subplot again. But I can just randomly watch Bubbles come up with another scam or watch a dude take notes on a drug conspiracy.

For all of the tragedy in The Wire, it's a really funny show and insanely watchable once you really soak up what kind of show it is.

May 17, 2019
For me, The Wire is in the same tier as Utopia (2013), The Prisoner, Texhnolyze, The Shield, Northern Exposure, Deadwood, and Lonesome Dove as the greatest tv I've ever encountered.

Dufus

Nov 15, 2017
This comes down to if you've watched The Wire a second or third time or not. I enjoyed Breaking Bad more than The Wire on first viewing but having watched The Wire's seasons multiple times, it's almost impossibly good. Especially season 2 is jaw-dropping.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching BB, and while it's fun it was far more fun on the first viewing when I didn't know what was coming.

BB has some really poorly written moments that really show up on a second viewing. The final seasons is particularly bad in this regard.

The Wire has a slightly lower quality final season too, but overall it's one a completely different level imo.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The wire is the best written crime show.

Breaking Bad is good but it's more singular character driven and at times goes over the top, and the ending was a letdown to me how Walt went out.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This comes down to if you've watched The Wire a second or third time or not. I enjoyed Breaking Bad more than The Wire on first viewing but having watched The Wire's seasons multiple times, it's almost impossibly good. Especially season 2 is jaw-dropping.

I've seen both shows in full only once and I think the Wire is definitely better.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I'm watching The Wire for the first time and while it S1 and S4 is some of the best TV ever made I can't wait for it to end, maybe I'm biased because S5 is such a fucking train wreck.

Breaking Bad is one of the only TV shows I've rewatched more than once (or twice).