• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the-witch-and-the-hunfrukk.jpg

Developer: Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Platform: PlayStation 4
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date: 03/27/2018 (NA), 03/30/2018 (EU), 04/13/2018 (ANZ)
chelka_img.png

Description:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 is an action role-playing game with a top-down isometric view. Players fight their way through a variety of levels as Hundred Knight, a magical creature that can be equipped with five types of weapons: swords, hammers, staffs, lances, and spears. Each weapon type differs in attack range, speed, and motion. By changing the order of use, players create many different combos.

Follow the Hundred Knight in its journey through a witch-ravaged world. Young girls are contracting a strange illness and awakening as witches, causing mayhem across the region of Kevala. Along the Hundred Knight's side are two sisters: Amalie, an agent of an organization who opposes witches; and Chelka, the witch who awakened in Amalie's younger sister, Milm. Uncover the mysteries of Kevala as you protect them both from harm.

Delve through dungeons and landscapes teeming with fiends and monsters, looking for equipment of legendary power. Grow stronger with help from Tochkas and Facets that will give an advantage in combat. Chain attacks together with the unique weapon system that welcomes weapon change mid-combat. The fate of Kevala is in your hands, brave knight.

• Adapt to Your Surroundings -- Switch between the Hundred Knight's six Facets to turn the tide in battle! Gather Tochkas, the indispensable minions, to aid you in your exploration.
  • Pint-Sized Powerhouse -- Execute Depletura to finish off enemies and replenish your GigaCalories! Trigger your Third Eye and unleash the full power of the Hundred Knight for a brief time. Leave enemies to tremble before your boosted speed, power, and skills!
  • Temper Your Strength -- Forge new weapons with items from the field at your base. Pass Witch Petitions; granting you access to new Tochkas and other benefits!
amalie_img.png

Characters:

Chelka
Amalie
Milm
Hundred Knight
Huninnmuginn Theodore
Gabrielle
Zophie
Lisa Prim
Isabel Attis Chidori

cavalry_img.png

Media:

gallery_imageboard_pop01.jpg

gallery_imageboard_pop05.jpg

gallery_screenshot_pop07.jpg

gallery_screenshot_pop06.jpg

gallery_screenshot_pop11.jpg

Reviews:
The story may put some off given its plodding pace and numerous quirky side stories, but most people who are interested in this game likely enjoy exactly that kind of storytelling.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/03/26/the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight-2-review/#/slide/1
7/10
Poorly written, with a horrendous story to gameplay ratio, it's hard not to see Hundred Knight 2 as more visual novel/button masher than action RPG. It's a shame considering the combat can be genuinely great at times.
http://www.cubed3.com/review/4734/1/the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight-2-playstation-4.html
6/10

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 received a 33/40 score in issue 1472 of Famitsu upon its Japanese release.

chidori_img.png

PS - If anyone has any suggestions for the OT I can update it. Just kinda whipped this up last minute. Cheers.

whk_lg_banner2g3rcn.jpg

Last edited:

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
I loooove the designs and general aesthetic/vibe of these games. I was a bit meh on the first one's gameplay though, so I'm wondering what the general consensus on the sequel is... Are there any significant changes or improvements?

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I loooove the designs and general aesthetic/vibe of these games. I was a bit meh on the first one's gameplay though, so I'm wondering what the general consensus on the sequel is... Are there any significant changes or improvements?

Rather than significant changes, they changed a bit the systems of the first game so that they could become useful. I fought a few bosses and the battles were more interesting than 90% of the first game.

It's an improvement over the first game, but not very different from it.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
Rather than significant changes, they changed a bit the systems of the first game so that they could become useful. I fought a few bosses and the battles were more interesting than 90% of the first game.

It's an improvement over the first game, but not very different from it.

Hmmm, alright... that's more or less what I expected. An improvement is an improvement though, so I'll probably end up giving it a shot!

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Some impressions:

- I was thinking that the level design was very, very bland especially in the forest in the first few hours. It was pretty clear that it was built using "blocks" and it bothered me.
Just now I realized most maps are randomly generated. I have to wonder why NIS thought this was a good idea since the map on this one doesn't look as big as the first game. A more unique feel to each area would go a long, long way into making exploration more interesting.

- Each boss is killing me at least once. I take it as a good sign that the battle system isn't as braindead as in the first game. They certainly put their minds on how to make each boss become increasily annoying in each fight phase.

- I was feeling that the story lacked the gut putches the first one threw at the player.
*Completes chapter 4*
Yeah, that feeling is gone now. That gut punch hurt dammit.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Will be watching this. Monster Hunter World still takes up most of my time, but I've always had a weakness for NIS games. So I want to play this sooner or later.

RPGSite gives the game a 3, though the writer admits he has a love/hate relationship with the first game and was probably too leniant on it (he gave it a 6). That doesn't invalidate his review of TWAHK2, but I'm personally more interested in what fans of the first game think of it.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I have this coming tomorrow, not sure when I'm going to get around to playing it though since I also have Atelier and Far Cry arriving and I'll probably play those first. I platinumed the first game though and am looking forward to playing this one too.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get the CE without the stress ball? Also the package is really nicely made.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Visually attractive, thanks for the OP. Every time I look at the protag though I can't stop thinking of the Martian =/.

MikeBluesky

Nov 27, 2017
So do I need to finish the first one to enjoy the sequel? How long it takes to finish the first one?