• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
That's a big reach tbh since all you're using as evidence is a watermark. The 'mistranslation' explanation seems the most likely.

It isn't even related to the poster I replied to either. They said that they only thought it possible when the Pro was shown despite that clearly not being the case).
Yeah I don't necessarily agree with the Pro being the deciding factor but plastering captured on Nintendo Switch on clearly downgraded screenshots is out of place.

We've had several impossible or surprising ports not get this treatment.

The official trailer also has captured on Nintendo Switch watermark

I suspect it's more than trying to stop trolls because trolls are gonna troll as evidenced In this thread

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Chinese retailer leaks mentioned September, so there was reason to hope for Q3 for sure.

IIRC they always lump in titles without any given release window with Q4 in those graphics. So it's not necessarily saying TW3 is gonna launch in Q4, more that it currently is just scheduled for "2019".

They would have announced it as winter 2019 or Q4 2019 if it had a firm, official release window.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Well the pro isn't even announced so pretty sure what we saw are from. oG switch

But I noticed all the.media materials for this game and this game only has a captured on Nintendo Switch watermark

Initially I thought it was to avoid trolls trying to argue they were stock or generic screens taken from the PC but that didnt happen for a lot of other games. I'm beginning to think it's because when the Pro is announced the Witcher 3 will be the first game built specifically to take advantage of it and there will be a 2nd set of media released showing it off.
Well, the game is listed as Q4 2019 as of this tweet https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1139563144848826374?s=19

So either October/November release date most likely?

EDIT: I should read

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I feel like trying this game again on switch

Played the PS4 version 4? years ago ( holy fuck it's been 4 years !) And was pretty much bored with the story/world and fell asleep after couple hours of play

Maybe I need to give the game another chance. ..so should I wait for th switch version or just get the PS4 version again for $20 lol.

Big problem with this game for me was th combat being so boring ?
Did you get past White Orchard? I find the world and story to become much better once you leave that area. Game becomes more difficult, too, but if the fundamental didn't interest you, as opposed to it just being too simplified without the need for items and arts, then I guess it's not your cup of tea.
all this tells me is that Nintendo shown them the enhanced switch and they decided to do it
What cynical thoughts you harbour. Edit: That was supposed to be said playfully, but it came out rather harsh. Sorry!

The game is going to run on the OG Switch no doubt, regardless of whether it will launch on the Pro. Footage so far is from the OG Switch, and it looks quite serviceable for a portable version, so things should be fine even for the OG Switch owners I feel.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people took my comment so literally. I guess clarification is in order

Switcher has been long rumored and if I were to take the comment at a face value, I'd have to assume there has been experimentation on it that didn't pan out in a way that CDPR found acceptable. as Digital Foundry shown, there are numerous barriers to a game of its type, cpu limitation, ram bandwidth limitation, and gpu limitations. at some point, enough reduction wipes away the identity of the game. it's not like I believe the OG switch is at that point, but close to it. might be easier to sell the effort needed if they knew there's slightly better hardware in the works, however that might help the game

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did you get past White Orchard? I find the world and story to become much better once you leave that area. Game becomes more difficult, too, but if the fundamental didn't interest you, as opposed to it just being too simplified without the need for items and arts, then I guess it's not your cup of tea.

I don't remember any white orchard. I remember doing a quest for father of a dead fetus and being bored by both the dialog from him/ that whole mission as a whole. ( Maybe I was too tired from work too and fell asleep when I had to fight the fetus ;_;. Then I traveled to a large town and i didn't want to play it anymore cause I didn't like that I was overwhelmed with all the side quests when I just wanted to move to the next story mission.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't remember any white orchard. I remember doing a quest for father of a dead fetus and being bored by both the dialog from him/ that whole mission as a whole. ( Maybe I was too tired from work too and fell asleep when I had to fight the fetus ;_;. Then I traveled to a large town and i didn't want to play it anymore cause I didn't like that I was overwhelmed with all the side quests when I just wanted to move to the next story mission.
White orchard is the opening area. If you did the quest you mentioned, then you are past it already. I guess the conclusion would be that it's not your cup of tea, then.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like trying this game again on switch

Played the PS4 version 4? years ago ( holy fuck it's been 4 years !) And was pretty much bored with the story/world and fell asleep after couple hours of play

Maybe I need to give the game another chance. ..so should I wait for th switch version or just get the PS4 version again for $20 lol.

Big problem with this game for me was th combat being so boring ?
I don't know why you'd buy it for the Switch considering you can get a used PS4 copy for less than $20. If this is a game that has already failed to hold your attention and you just want to try it out again, paying a full $60 wouldn't be the best idea.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why you'd buy it for the Switch considering you can get a used PS4 copy for less than $20. If this is a game that has already failed to hold your attention and you just want to try it out again, paying a full $60 wouldn't be the best idea.

Portability is a life saver but..yeah I guess I shouldn't

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting this mostly because I missed out on all of the physical goodies the first time by getting it late for the PS4.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think that Nintendo showed then an enhanced switch over a year ago and that is the only reason they ported to switch and then went on to show off the game for the first time on a regular switch?
no. as I said, I believe they probably experimented with a port for a while and may not have been satisfied with the maximum they could have gotten out of the base switch. a pro model's higher performance may have allowed them to reach acceptable maximum performance. kinda like Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS (which ran like dog shit on the base 3DS).

and this is all based on if we had to take the tweet literally. I don't really give two shits as I wouldn't buy the game regardless, but I can see Nintendo pining for it as a game to help promote a pro model. with it being a game that allegedly is on a 32GB cart, it's a two punch advertisement for the pro and towards developers

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
no. as I said, I believe they probably experimented with a port for a while and may not have been satisfied with the maximum they could have gotten out of the base switch. a pro model's higher performance may have allowed them to reach acceptable maximum performance. kinda like Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS (which ran like dog shit on the base 3DS).

and this is all based on if we had to take the tweet literally. I don't really give two shits as I wouldn't buy the game regardless, but I can see Nintendo pining for it as a game to help promote a pro model. with it being a game that allegedly is on a 32GB cart, it's a two punch advertisement for the pro and towards developers
For this scenario to make sense to me, I would expect the game to have been unveiled after the PRO announcement so that they can actually market the PRO version. As it stands, I see no compelling reason to think this was the set-up for this game's port.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
A user here who had heard about the game from several sources before it was revealed (z0m3le ) seemed to suggest this port had been in the works for a long time, probably well over a year.
Iirc the first time I hear about it was fall last year. At the time it had already been in development, but I don't know how long.

Edit: I also didn't believe it at the time, it was a rumor, much like the one about destiny 2 coming to Switch, I wasn't able to confirm with any known insiders, it was just a rumor at the time, but in spring I was able to confirm the Witcher 3. Currently I've yet to confirm the destiny 2 rumor, though considering destiny 1 was on 360, I think business is all that stands in its way.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
For this scenario to make sense to me, I would expect the game to have been unveiled after the PRO announcement so that they can actually market the PRO version. As it stands, I see no compelling reason to think this was the set-up for this game's port.
We need to see more but I don't see this as a Hyrule Warriors situation. There will be about 40m Switches by the time this game launches. If there is a pro specific enhancement it will be an enhancement to a good base. I don't see Nintendo or CDPr going through all that work to bring a "dogshit" port to OG Switch just to sell people on the Pro.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
A few people in the threads here have mentioned that TW3 could be a game changer for the Switch library. Not even a week after the announcement people started using Witcher 3 on Switch as an argument already:
  • Against Game Freak for the seemingly lackluster graphics improvements from 3DS Pokemon to Switch, and for not fitting all Pokemon into the game
  • Against publishers like capcom for not being customer-friendly and fitting whole games on more expensive cards, or for not offering physical versions of large games
  • Against people claiming that ports of certain games are not possible on Switch (lol ;) )
The Switcher effect. Well done already CDPR. Setting a positive example.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A few people in the threads here have mentioned that TW3 could be a game changer for the Switch library. Not even a week after the announcement people start using Witcher 3 on Switch as an argument already:
  • Against Game Freak for the seemingly lackluster graphics improvements from 3DS Pokemon to Switch, and for not fitting all Pokemon into the game
  • Against publishers like capcom for not being customer-friendly and fitting whole games on more expensive cards, or for not offering physical versions
  • Against people claiming that ports of certain games are not possible on Switch (lol ;) )

The Switcher effect. Well done already CDPR.

I wonder if this is partly why Nintendo (presumably) went to CDPR for this. So that other publishers realize they can bring over pretty much anything.

Also probably to help bring down the cost of 32GB cards.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
A few people in the threads here have mentioned that TW3 could be a game changer for the Switch library. Not even a week after the announcement people started using Witcher 3 on Switch as an argument already:
  • Against publishers like capcom for not being customer-friendly and fitting whole games on more expensive cards, or for not offering physical versions of large games

Yes, because CDPR is absolutely guilty of this, and not the haters dumbass community lol

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The first point is a complete non-sequitur, so just call them out on that for poor argumentation.

The second one is nebulous, since we don't know if Nintendo partnered with CDPR to eat some of the costs of a 32 GB card. If anything, it could be a reason for people to encourage Nintendo to continue such cost eating by showing that their efforts lead to strong sales.

The last one can be fair depending on the situation: Witcher 3 is a huge game that was previously considered impossible (so much so that people laughed at the idea while the smoke was partially suffocating them :P). If you combine this with good sales for Witcher 3 (let's hope for it!), then that would be an argument that the investment of resources into such a difficult is worth the resources, and therefore it can help to show that those ports should be attempted if you want to make more money. Switch has been rewarding ports that were previously thought impossible for some years now, so the argument that the Switch audience wouldn't buy your mature game is no longer tenable. Your argument must be that it is imposible to run, which has gotten a bit degraded no that it turns out Witcher 3 is possible.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Nintendo should of course be very interested in porting over such a masterpiece for those setting-an-example reasons mentioned. BotW and Skyrim can't stay the open world technical show cases on Switch forever, they don't even reach its technical capacity.

However port begging probably helped quite a bit too if they only started working on this in 2018.

I'd also like to see evidence for the claim that Nintendo approached them.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this will finally put the argument that the RE engine is "impossible" to port due to technical reasons to bed. It's more likely that Capcom is not willing to allocate resources for it.

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think so. It is assumed because no one before has shown any inclination to get a 32 GB card - in fact, several publishers have forgone using a 16 GB card, even.

I personally suspect that it's a cost barrier that prevented other devs (until now) from using 32GB carts that even Nintendo is unwilling to swallow. I think rather than Nintendo courting one developer specifically, they are generally trying to make accommodations for all devs to port their games. For example, in recent OS updates for the Switch, Nintendo have enabled higher clock speeds that devs can choose to use.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I personally suspect that it's a cost barrier that prevented other devs (until now) from using 32GB carts that even Nintendo is unwilling to swallow. I think rather than Nintendo courting one developer specifically, they are generally trying to make accommodations for all devs to port their games. For example, in recent OS updates for the Switch, Nintendo have enabled higher clock speeds that devs can choose to use.
It's possible. I don't disbelieve it, but there isn't solid evidence for it, really.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Very doubtful to me that Nintendo had a particularly active role in getting the game ported. They gave it a very brief slot in the direct - it was not on the level of Skyrim or Diablo where they were heavily promoted and marketed due to Nintendo being more actively involved with those projects.

Seems simply more like the cost of the 32gb cards got to a point where it became worthwhile to port it if releasing at $60 and CDPR knowing it would sell well enough at that price if they did it as a complete edition with some neat freebies with the physical edition. Not sure how many other ports could sell well enough at $60 to make it presumably worthwhile - GTA 5 and COD but then the online emphasis on those games is maybe whats stopping them from coming over

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this will finally put the argument that the RE engine is "impossible" to port due to technical reasons to bed. It's more likely that Capcom is not willing to allocate resources for it.

While I agree that you're likely right, I remember some people either speculating or reporting that the RE Engine had some fundamental issue with switching resolutions on the fly such that it couldn't do the docked to undocked transition that every Switch game needs to do.

Nov 3, 2017
While I agree that you're likely right, I remember some people either speculating or reporting that the RE Engine had some fundamental issue with switching resolutions on the fly such that it couldn't do the docked to undocked transition that every Switch game needs to do.

We're digressing but it really feels like Capcom is working up to ports of RE7 and REmake 2.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Very doubtful to me that Nintendo had a particularly active role in getting the game ported. They gave it a very brief slot in the direct - it was not on the level of Skyrim or Diablo where they were heavily promoted and marketed due to Nintendo being more actively involved with those projects.

Seems simply more like the cost of the 32gb cards got to a point where it became worthwhile to port it if releasing at $60 and CDPR knowing it would sell well enough at that price if they did it as a complete edition with some neat freebies with the physical edition. Not sure how many other ports could sell well enough at $60 to make it presumably worthwhile - GTA 5 and COD but then the online emphasis on those games is maybe whats stopping them from coming over
I think main reason with that game is simply not looking very eye friendly in big screens etc. Better to hide and let the music do his job in trailer tbh. It will look niceish on tablet mode but big screen looks garbo

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019

I highly doubt your argument. Those games have microtransactions and they would easily reproduce the investment considering there is not much competition on the System. The only thing that stops them is them.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We're digressing but it really feels like Capcom is working up to ports of RE7 and REmake 2.

Yeah maybe, that RE segment of the Direct makes very little sense otherwise.

I feel like Switch versions of RE2 and RE7 would be robbed of too much atmosphere.

Nah the RE Engine is very scalable, those games run surprisingly well on a GPD Win2. They'd look pretty decent on Switch at half the framerate.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt your argument. Those games have microtransactions and they would easily reproduce the investment considering there is not much competition on the System. The only thing that stops them is them.

I was more meaning getting those things up and running on Switch, GTA 5 online probably is not a simple thing to port over and if they just ported the base games you have the opposite situation to the Witcher - i.e you would be launching a content stripped $60 game instead of doing what the Witcher is doing releasing a content complete version

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
So what do you think, how will they schedule the release around the Netflix series?

(attempt to get back on topic)

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember that article but more recently I read someone here (can't remember who) claiming that they couldn't port the engine because of the switching issue. I have no idea if that was speculation or misreading that article or inside info but I've definitely seen that idea floating around a few times since.
a new engine made for modern hardware and APIs can't handle the switching, but an engine that was made for older hardware that doesn't support modern APIs and has CPUs that aren't used anymore can?

17c.png

it's not that I don't believe this was an issue, as other devs brought it up, but I don't think it's so inhibiting as Capcom might have implied. we seen the how they view the switch. it's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. they can't even give the switch a port of a PS2 trilogy withought fucking it up

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

If you got that far then the game definitely isn't for you. Skip it.

I don't know why another poster was saying White Orchard is boring or whatever, it's the perfect starting point. The game had me engrossed at the very start. But yeah, this is probably not a game for you.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Don't know this page, but this is a short interview with one dev that is working on the port:

Alvin Liu said:
"Right now there's a bit less foliage and some of draw the distances are lower… but it still looks amazing," he added. "I was very impressed. Unless you pointed a lot of changes out to me I probably wouldn't have noticed them."

(...)

The biggest changes that we made involve the user interface and how you interact is a bit different on the Switch compared to other versions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.