• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like trying this game again on switch

Played the PS4 version 4? years ago ( holy fuck it's been 4 years !) And was pretty much bored with the story/world and fell asleep after couple hours of play

Maybe I need to give the game another chance. ..so should I wait for th switch version or just get the PS4 version again for $20 lol.

Big problem with this game for me was th combat being so boring ?

It's not for you, and that's OK.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for touch controls in undocked mode for the menus. The Switch's zoom function is going to be helpful as I remember the text in Witcher 3 being to small for me even on PC. HD Rumble certainly would be nice to see especially when it comes to the medallion. I can't remember how much use that got in 3 though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I finished The Witcher 3 on Easy. I don't enjoy the combat, but I enjoy this fantasy of badass white-haired guy solving problems and making hard decisions.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
I class the combat as being in-between Skyrim and Dark Souls.

With its light attack, heavy attack, dodge, roll etc it kind of feels like a less polished version of Souls combat, which still makes it way better than Skyrim. Not great, but certainly not overtly bad.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I class the combat as being in-between Skyrim and Dark Souls.

With its light attack, heavy attack, dodge, roll etc it kind of feels like a less polished version of Souls combat, which still makes it way better than Skyrim. Not great, but certainly not overtly bad.

Very much this. It gets overblown a lot.

I swear "Serviceable Combat" is some sort of meme. Cause if this is serviceable than fucks know what Skyrim is.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Witcher 3 right now. I have played games like Monster Hunter, Zelda, Horizon, Bayonetta, and several fighting games.

Witcher 3's combat is ok. Not good, not too bad. It's more than spam attack to win, but less than git gud to win.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So I have heard a lot about this game. I'm not an rpg fan. Tell me what makes it great? Is it considered an action rpg with more complex combat?

It's an action open world RPG emphasising narrative, versus a robust RPG that emphasises complex character builds and whatnot. Imagine your typical open world game with towns, dungeons, stuff to do, etc, and bolt on a basic character progression and inventory system. Tailoring Geralt, the protagonist, is less about making a specific kind of character and more choosing what he excels in and how. So even if you don't invest any points into them, alchemy and magic (signs) are still useful no matter what build you pick. You'll always wield swords. It's more about whether or not you want to roll as someone heavy or light.

The combat is fine. It is much, much better at higher framerates which the Switch (no console, for that matter) will excel at unfortunately. It's very weighted and animation heavy, and is more about crowd control, positioning, and spacing between enemies. A lot of people run into the middle of packs wildly swinging and get their arse handed to them because they're bad at the game. It's more about dancing around characters and chipping away at their health, being patient with attack, using signs/magic to immobilise them (eg: knock them down, trap them, etc), coating your blades in oils to buff against enemy types, and using potions to buff your body further. It definitely leans more towards the action side of things than slow dice based RPGing.

The world is enormous and utterly loaded with quests and stuff to do, which is where the game excels most. It's a grand sense of adventure, with such immaculate detail in every little corner; where towns are positions, sites of previous battles, monsters nests, quest arcs, and so on. Every quest is fully voiced, even if small, and narrative driven. Whether long or short, every quest has context of character and arcs, often with little twists. Maybe you've taken up a contract to hunt a vampire, but soon discover said vampire has a peculiar taste in blood. Maybe you'll uncover old ruins and discover it's the site of terrible secrets. Quests take twists and turns and are dialogue heavy, which is where the role playing comes in; even though Geralt is a defined character, you'll often have to choose how you react to certain situations, which will shape their outcome.

It's just one of the best games ever to get lost in. Gorgeous presentation, soundtrack, and atmosphere. Rich, grounded personality and cast that is also lively and adventurous. Game systems all work just fine.

Idk, when you press a button and don't know what kind of attack you will do I would call that bad and not serviceable.

I've seen this cited a few times and while I recognise this issue is there, it honestly never bothered me. Not like The Witcher 2, which was objectively worse in that regard. I really felt with The Witcher 3 they heavy dialled back a vast majority of the animation heavy random canned attacks in favour of more function driven commands. The Witcher 2 on the other hand was fucking shocking with its no iframes roll attack tied to...basic attack.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Very much this. It gets overblown a lot.

I swear "Serviceable Combat" is some sort of meme. Cause if this is serviceable than fucks know what Skyrim is.

Yup, compared western counterparts, TW3 actually has good combat - it's only in comparison to games like Dark Souls that it starts to look merely serviceable. It's an entirely unfair comparison though, because Dark Souls is primarily focused around its combat encounters and so it's going to stand head and shoulders above something like TW3 which has a much, much broader scope.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, compared western counterparts, TW3 actually has good combat - it's only in comparison to games like Dark Souls that it starts to look merely serviceable. It's an entirely unfair comparison though, because Dark Souls is primarily focused around its combat encounters and so it's going to stand head and shoulders above something like TW3 which has a much, much broader scope.

The problem isn't that it looks serviceable with the other games, it looks serviceable compared to the whole rest of the game it is in. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a game where all the rest is high quality. Why should the combat part get an excuse?

Oct 27, 2017
So I have heard a lot about this game. I'm not an rpg fan. Tell me what makes it great? Is it considered an action rpg with more complex combat?

The story and overall writing are the game's main strength and are some of the best in the medium. The world is fun to explore even if there's not a ton of interesting stuff to find out there as loot is mostly worthless. Combat isn't that great, and incredibly easy, even on the highest difficulty. The most difficult part of the game is the opening section, and early on in the main area if you stumble across enemies much higher level than you. And that's mainly because you haven't unlocked some useful abilities yet. Once you level up a bit everything is easy except for a couple of encounters much later on which require a change in strategy.

edit: oh and Gwent is awesome.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The problem isn't that it looks serviceable with the other games, it looks serviceable compared to the whole rest of the game it is in. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a game where all the rest is high quality. Why should the combat part get an excuse?

Of all the things in gaming that get casually excused, I think TW3's less-than-stellar combat might be the least compelling example. I mean, four years from launch and it's still the hottest topic in any new thread...

In reality: TW3 has a perfectly functional combat system which improves massively on the studio's previous efforts, but remains the weakest part of their development. That's okay: most great games do have their flaws - flaws that stand out so much more in contrast to their successes (just hop into any RDR2 or BotW thread for further examples) but this is only a sign that no developer is infallible.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I found the combat of Witcher 2 pretty interesting. I don't remember the difficulty I played it in, but I remember it being pretty challenging, and needing to scout the terrain before a fight, plan the fight, and needing to use potions and spells strategically. (Like laying traps to make a choke point, things like that)
If you planned well, the fight would end in a quick and sound victory and it'd be satisfying. If not, either it took you forever to kill them or you died. All in all, I liked it.

Dec 23, 2017
Based on what I'm hearing I will wait for reviews of switch version. Game just probably isn't for me though I want to support their decision to bring the game to switch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We need more footage. That trailer and screenshots are kind of blue balling, especially without a solid release date.
I had a 12 hours flight and booted Skyrim for the first time in month this weekend. And it was glorious.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I feel like Switch versions of RE2 and RE7 would be robbed of too much atmosphere.

Hardly, RE7 for instance runs at 1080/60FPS at base XB1, its not demanding game or engine in any case, games like Skyrim Remastered, Doom, Wolfenstein, not to mention Witcher 3 are more demanding games.

Yeah maybe, that RE segment of the Direct makes very little sense otherwise.

This is intresting, Capcom ported RE Revelations 1/2, than RE 0/1/4 and now RE 5/6, so its very possible that next ones are RE7 and RE2 Remake.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is intresting, Capcom ported RE Revelations 1/2, than RE 0/1/4 and now RE 5/6, so its very possible that next ones are RE7 and RE2 Remake.

I've seen several people speculating that this part of the Direct was basically Nintendo's way of greasing the wheels for Capcom a bit, which doesn't really make sense unless Capcom has something to give Nintendo. Maybe they've finally decided to port the RE Engine and wanted a little extra exposure on Switch in return?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I've seen several people speculating that this part of the Direct was basically Nintendo's way of greasing the wheels for Capcom a bit, which doesn't really make sense unless Capcom has something to give Nintendo. Maybe they've finally decided to port the RE Engine and wanted a little extra exposure on Switch in return?

Nintendo is not really company that would do such a thing ( greasing the wheels) for any company, but on other hand Capcom released RE 0/1/4 and now they will RE 5/6 and Nintendo wanted to gave them a little spotlight, espacily if RE7 and RE2 Remake are coming.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hardly, RE7 for instance runs at 1080/60FPS at base XB1, its not demanding game or engine in any case, games like Skyrim Remastered, Doom, Wolfenstein, not to mention Witcher 3 are more demanding games.

RE7 already released streaming only in Japan. Maybe they'll do the same for Re2 remake, but don't hold your breath for a standard release

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
RE7 already released streaming only in Japan. Maybe they'll do the same for Re2 remake, but don't hold your breath for a standard release

Streaming dont have anything with normal release of game, especially like you wrote streaming is just for one market.
Capcom ported all previous RE games to Switch, only 2 that left are RE7 and RE2 Remake, also both of those games are not demading and could easily work on Switch.
I dont saying RE7 and RE2 Remake are definitely coming to Switch, but IMO there are good chances (especially after this E3).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's easier to say RE7 and 2R aren't coming because Capcom doesn't give a shit about the switch than any (nonexistent) technical limitation

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
it's easier to say RE7 and 2R aren't coming because Capcom doesn't give a shit about the switch than any (nonexistent) technical limitation

Right, but the long RE segment at E3 would be very bizarre if it was not indicative of some sort of improved relationship between Nintnedo and Capcom.

And hey, it might wind up just being bizarre. But it could also hint at Capcom taking the Switch more seriously and Nintendo rewarding that change.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the long RE segment at E3 would be very bizarre if it was not indicative of some sort of improved relationship between Nintnedo and Capcom.

And hey, it might wind up just being bizarre. But it could also hint at Capcom taking the Switch more seriously and Nintendo rewarding that change.
don't get me wrong, it's a weird video since the segments don't even match each other. it leads me to believe the first half is a scrapped commercial and they just tacked on the second half to salvage whatever costs

If they really dont give a shit they will not port seven RE games already, maybe they had plan first to port older ones before moving to new ones.
that sounds like "bare minimum" support to me. Capcom's MO is "port all the old shit to whatever runs it". they don't even have physical versions of switch games anymore

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Dev 1 was saving RE Engine for Switch Plus (even if something like RE7 still runs on Switch 1.0) or worse case even NX2. They're going to be caught up on RE by year's end and I wouldn't be surprised if they get through the old DMCs within a year too.

Capcom in general is running out of current gen remasters for quick Switch porting though (really just Dead Rising 1-2, Disney Afternoon, USF4 and UMVC3 are left after RE/DMC wrap), I think they probably need to go back to the well for more across NSW+PS4+XB1(+PC). Things like Onimusha 2-4, Viewtiful Joe 1-2, Lost Planet 1-2, EX Troopers, Ace Attorney 4-6, Basara 1-4, God Hand, PN03, Asura's Wrath, TVC, SFXT, Bionic Commando RA1-2, Auto Modellista, Zack & Wiki, UGnG Kai, Under the Skin, Last Ranker, PowerStone Collection, MML series, DarkStalkers series, CPS1/2 shooters, etc, etc. Some of those are really getting in the weeds though.

That 4GB of ram. Ha! Off topic but assuming that rumor is true I can't believe Nintendo was going to put even less than that in switch.
I could believe they originally planned 3GB (like Shield). 2.25GB for games still would've been a big jump over Wii U's 1GB, 360's 480MB or PS3's 460MB. I doubt Capcom was the only reason (or voice they heard asking) for them to bump up to 4GB though and I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger push was coming from western pubs with more ambitious plans like Epic, T2 and Bethesda.

Dec 23, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Dev 1 was saving RE Engine for Switch Plus (even if something like RE7 still runs on Switch 1.0) or worse case even NX2. They're going to be caught up on RE by year's end and I wouldn't be surprised if they get through the old DMCs within a year too.

Capcom in general is running out of current gen remasters for quick Switch porting though (really just Dead Rising 1-2, Disney Afternoon, USF4 and UMVC3 are left after RE/DMC wrap), I think they probably need to go back to the well for more across NSW+PS4+XB1(+PC). Things like Onimusha 2-4, Viewtiful Joe 1-2, Lost Planet 1-2, EX Troopers, Ace Attorney 4-6, Basara 1-4, God Hand, PN03, Asura's Wrath, TVC, SFXT, Bionic Commando RA1-2, Auto Modellista, Zack & Wiki, UGnG Kai, Under the Skin, Last Ranker, PowerStone Collection, MML series, DarkStalkers series, CPS1/2 shooters, etc, etc. Some of those are really getting in the weeds though.

I could believe they originally planned 3GB (like Shield). 2.25GB for games still would've been a big jump over Wii U's 1GB, 360's 480MB or PS3's 460MB. I doubt Capcom was the only reason (or voice they heard asking) for them to bump up to 4GB though and I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger push was coming from western pubs with more ambitious plans like Epic, T2 and Bethesda.
I'm hoping for 6-8 GB for revision. T2 hasn't done anything significant in my opinion. I didn't like 2k on switch and LA Noire didn't do well on any of the systems for the remasters. They know what people want on switch and it still hasn't happened yet.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for 6-8 GB for revision. T2 hasn't done anything significant in my opinion. I didn't like 2k on switch and LA Noire didn't do well on any of the systems for the remasters. They know what people want on switch and it still hasn't happened yet.
The thing with T2 is all their labels basically run themselves. It's obvious everyone wants GTAV on Switch but it really comes down to what Rockstar's mgmt is willing to do. I'm sure Nintendo is doing everything they can to grease the wheels there too.

I think doing feature complete NBA2K downports every year is pretty ambitious though. And Civ6 was a smart port to do but there's definitely more in that vein 2K could be doing for ports and remasters (XCOM, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc). Also their WWE mess but that series has issues everywhere.

Dec 23, 2017
The thing with T2 is all their labels basically run themselves. It's obvious everyone wants GTAV on Switch but it really comes down to what Rockstar's mgmt is willing to do. I'm sure Nintendo is doing everything they can to grease the wheels there too.

I think doing feature complete NBA2K downports every year is pretty ambitious though. And Civ6 was a smart port to do but there's definitely more in that vein 2K could be doing for ports and remasters (XCOM, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc). Also their WWE mess but that series has issues everywhere.
I can give them credit for the feature complete 2k. It just doesn't play well in my opinion. That may not be switch fault. I haven't play 2k since mid 2000s.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough, so that's fair.

Wasn't being rude, nor did I mean to be.

His complaint is a valid one. Often times the enemy targeting system gets really wacky. You can have an enemy like 2 feet to your left and another one maybe 30 feet behind you, and if you aim your control stick to the left to try and target and attack the one right next to you there's always the chance the game thinks you're trying to target the one 30 feet away. So instead of just swinging a sword to your left you wind up dancing and rolling 30 feet away.

That's really my major gripe with the combat. It prioritizes flash and spectacle over precise control. It's certainly serviceable but it's far from the main draw of the game.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
that sounds like "bare minimum" support to me. Capcom's MO is "port all the old shit to whatever runs it". they don't even have physical versions of switch games anymore

I dont see how 7 ported RE games could be "bare minimum". Its true they are being cheap and they don't releasing physical versions for all of their games for Switch,but fact is that they are porting games.
Like I wrote, its very possible they wanted first to port previous RE games before porting new ones, RE 5/6 being last they are porting supporting that possibility.

I'm hoping for 6-8 GB for revision.

8GB would be overkill in any case for rest of Switch hardware, I could see maybe additional 2GB of RAM.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't expect anything from Capcom. They've been borderline disrespectful with the switch owners (re4 being crazy expensive, and not including the gyro aiming option for example).
And anyway, the Witcher 3 is a much better get as far as I'm concerned than anything Capcom could release on the system.

Dec 23, 2017
I dont see how 7 ported RE games could be "bare minimum". Its true they are being cheap and they don't releasing physical versions for all of their games for Switch,but fact is that they are porting games.
Like I wrote, its very possible they wanted first to port previous RE games before porting new ones, RE 5/6 being last they are porting supporting that possibility.

8GB would be overkill in any case for rest of Switch hardware, I could see maybe additional 2GB of RAM.
Minimum 6 I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.