• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
If Switch can run this with steady 30 FPS, and with all the features and voice casts, it will the most impressive port ever for the system.

Every Xbox One game, from Resident Evil 2 and 7 to Final Fantasy XV, could be ported.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I wonder if they're going to do things like redo some of the assets entirely and change up the geography and layout of the world to help it work on Switch.

IIRC Nixxes did stuff like this for the 360 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider and it really helped it run well while still looking respectable.

Dec 16, 2017
I might actually beat this game on Switch. I've loved it twice, but always run out of steam. Won't able to play it bed could make the difference.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it will be much better than Xenoblade 2 portable, to be honest. Xenoblade 2 ran as badly as it did because of poor optimization, and while I am sure that won't be the case with The Witcher 3, it's also just a far more demanding game than Xenoblade 2 was.

Yea but I'll hope there will be some magic done here since TW3 portable would be amazing!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give them an A for effort here, but damn, the concessions that had to be made.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is either going to have to look like shit or run like shit.

Guess they're picking their poison.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
It really does look like that tree scene is the biggest difference looking at the videos. Yes foliage is less, less detail, etc but still pretty damn similar with the biggest stand out being that tree.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm really impressed that they did this. I never in a million years would have thought they would even bother with a port. Even though it looks rough, I'm happy to see top tier companies like CDPR supporting the Switch.

Having said that, if you're truly interested in playing W3, I can't imagine this is going to be the way you'll want to play it, portability-factor aside. The game is an open world, visual juggernaut that struggled on the PS4. I weep for areas like the bog and Novigrad.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Looks playable but god damn I wouldn't want this to be my first experience with the game. Everything looks so swampy.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Not even a little bit close:

I'd rather have some uncompressed screenshots than compressed YouTube footage to make any comparisons. I think the Switch version is ugly, which is understandable given the hardware and power budget. But I also think that the vegetation and shadows on the other console versions look bad as well. I was so disappointed in the PS4 Pro version (pre-ordered it) that I played it for half an hour and put it away to buy it on PC bundled with a new GPU. So yeah, you can say I'm rather sensitive to the visual fidelity of games.

That said, I love W3 and am happy to see it on one platform more. It deserves every sale and it's a good thing that more people have the chance to enjoy it.
It looks totally unappealing to me on the Switch, but I'm not the target for this release. Just hope the framerate will be more or less stable for the people playing it.
Curious to see the final DF analysis.

Matterhorn

Feb 6, 2019
United States
540p is the lowest acceptable resolution, in my opinion, for the Switch screen. Mario + Rabbids was at 600p if I remember correctly, and it looked great. Doom runs around 540p and is perfectly acceptable. Below that it does get too blurry, but Witcher 3 on the go at 540p with all DLC still sounds almost too good to be true.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Chances are people playing on switch for these games likely aren't even looking at visual/performance for these types of games in the first place as this looks about as good as Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 from my perspective both which also have frame rate problems in their games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
looks great all things considered. still very *very* skeptical of this (playing in handheld? ayyy) but go ahead and serve up my crow. marinated in teriyaki if you don't mind

Oct 26, 2017
Chances are people playing on switch for these games likely aren't even looking at visual/performance for these types of games in the first place as this looks about as good as Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 from my perspective both which also have frame rate problems in their games.
Hell no. Both of those games look significantly better than TW3 on Switch, especially BotW, considering that they're actually made with Nintendo's hardware in mind. That and most of BotW's framerates issues have long since been solved

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't know how, even at the lowest of settings, I don't know how.

Anyway, this is one of the greatest games of all time, if this is the only chance you have of playing it, please do so. It's a monumental game and with the DLC's... the content is insane.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I think its quite impressive that they have this running on Switch. I'm curious at what frame rate though. I'm really not sure why *this* is the game that people are bitching about. Almost every single "high end" game that's been ported to Switch has looked much worse and the one that's arguably the most impressive has the most hate

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
It's funny, I haven't seen the Witcher 3 in like 3 years and honestly....the screen shots look good to me lol. I'm sure they are worse but it actually looks better than I'd thought it would on Switch since it's been so long!

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Something that some people might have missed is that the game does come on a 32 gig card. The witcher twitter account confirms the game to be about 32 gigs.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
540p is pretty ok actually. I'm happy with that. Now the worry shifts to how it's gonna run Novigrad.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fine? Like it obviously won't be the definitive version of the game and I don't think that's the intent by any means.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me but I bet this thing sells way better than people think based off its looks. Switch moves units and I bet a bunch of people are going to add this to their collection.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how people are acting like the graphics are unplayable but are happy to play a million other games on Switch with worse graphics.

What are you even talking about? Don't view this port from the standpoint of what was sacrificed but rather what was achieved. These graphics are plenty good for Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.