• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are acting like the graphics are unplayable but are happy to play a million other games on Switch with worse graphics.

What are you even talking about. Don't view this port from the standpoint of what was sacrificed but rather what was achieved. These graphics are plenty good for Switch.
The issue for me is that this is obviously a system running a game with enviornments and character models that weren't originally designed with it in mind. This can easily be seen by the drastically lower res textures, the horrible draw distance, dynamic 540p/720p resolutions, and odd character model stuff like Geralt's hair looking like clay.

When games are designed for the Switch for the ground up they tend to look dramatically better. Looking at say, BOTW, MK8D, or Luigi's Mansion 3. Hell, even the new Animal Crossing is more pleasing to look at.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I love how people are acting like the graphics are unplayable but are happy to play a million other games on Switch with worse graphics.

What are you even talking about? Don't view this port from the standpoint of what was sacrificed but rather what was achieved. These graphics are plenty good for Switch.

Why do I have a feeling that the ones that complain about the graphic didn't have a Switch.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It's like people have forgotten the long history of downports to portables. I think it's great that these kind of games are finding a home on the Switch, if no one else is going to make any handheld machines then what's the problem? If Nintendo go ahead and make Switch games compatible with the next generation of their line, these will look miles better in a few years.
This is what I'm hoping for devs release a patch to take a 540p game and make it 720 or 1080 with improved assets

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly: Looks a little rough, but still looks decent. I might actually buy.. I had it a long while back, but never got around to finishing it. The mini-game Card game was a lot of fun.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they are somehow porting Witcher 3 before Gwent. Although W3 is the superior Gwent game anyways.

Thronebreaker which was amazing too.

Oct 27, 2017
They're listing the resolution upper bounds. They presumably go lower than those figures dynamically, but those are the targest that they achieve in low stress areas.

The tweet says 540p for handheld with dynamic resolution (topping out at 720p) only coming into play for docked. They might well have mangled the writing of that tweet, but as it stands, there's no suggestion of handheld dropping below 540p.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet says 540p for handheld with dynamic resolution (topping out at 720p) only coming into play for docked. They might well have mangled the writing of that tweet, but as it stands, there's no suggestion of handheld dropping below 540p.
I'm reading that tweet as a dynamic 540p handheld, dynamic 720p docked.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't say that though. It might have been miswritten, but until someone privy to the information says otherwise, to take dynamic handheld res from that is to misread it.
Not really, they say 540p (clarified to be handheld) and then 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled when asked about the resolution. That's 2 separate resolutions, with the 540p target clarified as the handheld resolution

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Locked 540p undocked would be a great result. I'm not all that interested in another Wolfenstein (that younfblood footage, oof) situation though.

I really wish the pro hardware was coming sooner rather than later if at all.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I think the missing foliage is going to be more noticeable than the resolution, but I'm also curious to see how Novigrad looks and performs and if NPC density took a big hit. It's still really impressive. Anyone who hasn't played TW3 should really do so.

Nov 8, 2017

It really isn't unlikely that it goes below 540p, and that's not me idly fearmongering. Mortal Kombat 11 and Wolfenstein 2 are both well handled ports, the former going down to 384p and the latter reaching a recorded low of 360p before it's latest updates that (somewhat) boosted resolutions. But even now it goes well below 540p. MK11 goes to 540p even while docked!

The tweet is very strangely worded, to the extent that I feel it may not have been a native speaker making the post, and I feel reasonably confident it will have dynamic res while portable simply because that's how all the other impossible switch ports have pulled it off.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, they say 540p (clarified to be handheld) and then 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled when asked about the resolution. That's 2 desperate resolutions, with the 540p target clarifies as the handheld resolution

540p handheld,

720p (with dynamic resolution enabled) on screen.

Not "540p handheld and 720p on screen (with dynamic resolution enabled)"

Whatever you're inclined to believe is actually the case (and I'll believe 540p fixed when it's clarified, so I'm not without skepticism) that tweet absolutely reads that dynamic res applies only to docked mode.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the first 2 screenshots it looks like someone applied some filters in photoshop and most of the details are gone, the third picture the water looks really weird...

but it's cool that they made it, this version makes sense if you are playing portable, for the TV it's probably not a good idea

but given that this game kind of struggled on the consoles it's fairly impressive, Witcher 3 felt more like a PC game.

Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't unlikely that it goes below 540p, and that's not me idly fearmongering. Mortal Kombat 11 and Wolfenstein 2 are both well handled ports, the former going down to 384p and the latter reaching a recorded low of 360p before it's latest updates that (somewhat) boosted resolutions. But even now it goes well below 540p. MK11 goes to 540p even while docked!

Not disagreeing that it would be a pleasant surprise to see it actually stay locked at 540p, just saying that the tweet says otherwise so using that as evidence of the dynamic handheld res is perhaps a case of seeing what one expects will be the case rather than what has actually been stated up until this point. Based on what we've been told so far, handheld is 540p and docked is a dynamic 720p

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Not really, they say 540p (clarified to be handheld) and then 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled when asked about the resolution. That's 2 separate resolutions, with the 540p target clarified as the handheld resolution
Nope.

Look carefully:
"540p handheld, 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled, on screen."

The last two commas are parenthetical, explaining something. The phrase meaning is:
"540p handheld, 720p on screen."
And the added info is just for explaining something only on the second part. Just like a parenthesis:
"540p handheld, 720p (with dynamic resolution enabled) on screen."

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
now that this is real and we can move the discussion forward, this game is perfect for an 'enhanced for Switch Pro' feature as it's release date is later in 2019 and undetermined and we may get a Pro this year.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I think the gameplay experience includes the visuals, and therefore that poor visuals can negatively impact the gameplay experience.
Are you saying that N64 MARIO 64 plays terribly because it doesn't have this gens graphics? Please respond to my actual post and not make generalizations when you can't properly answer me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
540p handheld,

720p (with dynamic resolution enabled) on screen.

Not "540p handheld and 720p on screen (with dynamic resolution enabled)"

Whatever you're inclined to believe is actually the case (and I'll believe 540p fixed when it's clarified, so I'm not without skepticism) that tweet absolutely reads that dynamic res applies only to docked mode.
Nope.

Look carefully:
"540p handheld, 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled, on screen."

The last two commas are parenthetical, explaining something. The phrase meaning is:
"540p handheld, 720p on screen."
And the added info is just for explaining something only on the second part. Just like a parenthesis:
"540p handheld, 720p (with dynamic resolution enabled) on screen."
We'll see how it ends up. 540p is 56% of 720p. Looking at the clock differences between docked and handheld, it would be odd to see it as dynamic res docked but locked 540p in handheld. That's even taking into account a potential in boosted handheld clocks. Cool if true though.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who mostly games on the train, I am 100% willing to play a game at lower graphics settings if that means I can play it on the go rather than being tied to my PC/PS4. Witcher 3 has been on my list for ages, and sounds like the sort of game that I'd enjoy, if only I could knuckle down to get into it. A portable version makes that so much easier. Basically, I'm the target market for something like this, and I'm definitely interested.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see how it ends up. 540p is 56% of 720p. Looking at the clock differences between docked and handheld, it would be odd to see it as dynamic res docked but locked 540p in handheld. That's even taking into account a potential in boosted handheld clocks. Cool if true though.

Could be using the new 460 Mhz portable profile which they unlocked for MK11. That's 60% of docked clocks.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool, but is there a reason why they never port the original Witcher? Wouldnt it make sense to get that game to consoles as well?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Will never understand people who played and have this on PC and Xbox/PS spending money to play what is surely a downgraded version. More power to you though it's your $

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, some of the reactions in this thread makes me think a Switch ran over the dogs of some of the posters, or something. Can't you just be happy more people get to enjoy the same things you do? It's not like the Switch version of the game is going to cause your "real" versions of the game to look worse, for crying out loud.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't believe a game of this scope is already portable only 4 years after its initial release. The absolute mad men

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Will never understand people who played and have this on PC and Xbox/PS spending money to play what is surely a downgraded version. More power to you though it's your $
Maybe those people have been wanting to replay the game but something in their life changed where they can't put in the time in front of the TV like they once did when they initially played Witcher 3. The Switch version gives them the opportunity to put the time in that this game demands. Not saying this applies to everyone who's gonna buy this version, but it's an possible explanation.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The salt is real. I haven't seen this many people bitter about a Nintendo game since Bayonatte 2.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe those people have been wanting to replay the game but something in their life changed where they can't put in the time in front of the TV like they once did when they initially played Witcher 3. The Switch version gives them the opportunity to put the time in that this game demands. Not saying this applies to everyone who's gonna buy this version, but it's an possible explanation.
Got Witcher 3 for free when I got.my now.older gtx 970 and bought the season pass but i never did manage to get through the entire game.

I'm 50l50 if I want to pick this one up. A lot about it from the 32GB cart to the CE screams high effort port. So waiting for more info. But may end up picking it up eventually even if it's just to oogle at the fact I can play Witcher 3 on a plane.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Need to see it more in motion. Was going to pick this up for the X and see 4k, but playing on my Switch and watching Netflix is very appealing, especially for such a longer title.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Well a 32GB card only has room for about 27GB of data or something in that area so something is probably being lost in translation.

It's not that it only has room for 29.6GB, that is how 32GB (decadecimal) is read in binary. This applies to everything that has memory storage from SD Cards to Hard Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.