• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
Pass for me. The Witcher 3 is a game that you need to immerse yourself in, it's part of the appeal. Those screenshots and this resolution pretty much kill that part of the experience and I don't want to imagine what would be the framerate.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I'm 100% buying it to show support for:

1. AAA ports to Switch.
  2. Devs putting all content on a single card.
  3. Devs using the 32gb card.

When will Nintendo finally release the 64gb card?

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
Would be down provided it's at least playable. I have LA noire on switch and it's literally unplayable, for me anyway.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
So basically, those resolutions are approximately what we got for Doom? That's absolutely perfect for me, even docked. I play about 1.8 meters away from a 32 inches 1080p monitor when at home (which is quite rare) and Doom looks great.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Are you saying that N64 MARIO 64 plays terribly because it doesn't have this gens graphics? Please respond to my actual post and not make generalizations when you can't properly answer me.
I'm not continuing to answer strawmen. Stop trying to "gotcha" me. My initial comment was that graphics affect the gameplay experience. That's it. Nothing to do with Mario 64.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
If I had no other options on which to play this, I'd go for it. It's a great game and the more who play it, the better.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'll buy it... but... 540p...

Yeah but on 6" screen, thats actually far bigger PPI than for instance 1080p on 40" screen.

540p is the lowest acceptable resolution, in my opinion, for the Switch screen. Mario + Rabbids was at 600p if I remember correctly, and it looked great. Doom runs around 540p and is perfectly acceptable. Below that it does get too blurry, but Witcher 3 on the go at 540p with all DLC still sounds almost too good to be true.

Actually Doom goes down to around 380p in handheld mode.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
For comparison, Doom is 720p docked and 576p undocked, all dynamic according to my 5 seconds google investigation. I think it looks fine, and it is absolutely the same game which I previously played on PC.

Witcher 3 on Switch will be perfectly playable, and an excellent compromise for people like me who cannot sit 60 hours in front of a TV.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yeah but on 6" screen, thats actually far bigger PPI than for instance 1080p on 40" screen.

Yep, i was thinking about that. 540p = 960 × 540 pixels, right?

So, here's a website to calculate PPI: https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

960x540 in 6.2" = 177.65 PPI

Here's another website to calculate PPI: https://www.sven.de/dpi/

960x540 in 6.2" = Display size: 5.4" × 3.04" = 16.43in² (13.73cm × 7.72cm = 105.97cm²) at 177.65 PPI, 0.143mm dot pitch, 31561 PPI²

Actually Doom goes down to around 380p in handheld mode.

:O

Here's a list about games on switch and their resolution + fps (docked and handheld mode):

most of them, 720p

Obviously The Witcher 3 is an open world...

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yep, i was thinking about that. 540p = 960 × 540 pixels, right?

So, here's a website to calculate PPI: https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

960x540 in 6.2" = 177.65 PPI

Here's another website to calculate PPI: https://www.sven.de/dpi/

960x540 in 6.2" = Display size: 5.4" × 3.04" = 16.43in² (13.73cm × 7.72cm = 105.97cm²) at 177.65 PPI, 0.143mm dot pitch, 31561 PPI²

:O

Here's a list about games on switch and their resolution (handheld mode):

most of them, 720p

Yeah, and 1080p on 40" screen has 55 PPI.

DF reported that Doom resolution goes down to around 380p.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I'm not continuing to answer strawmen. Stop trying to "gotcha" me. My initial comment was that graphics affect the gameplay experience. That's it. Nothing to do with Mario 64.
I provided you an example (or entire previous gen examples) of why graphics doesn't inherently make gameplay bad (unless the graphic needed was part of the gameplay, which in Witcher's case I don't think it is, it's spectacle, someone can correct me if there is). You know what affects gameplay; FPS, that is a crutch you can hang on to. You didn't answer my question sincerely so I'm done with the conversation.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I provided you an example (or entire previous gen examples) of why graphics doesn't inherently make gameplay bad (unless the graphic needed was part of the gameplay, which in Witcher's case I don't think it is, it's spectacle, someone can correct me if there is). You know what affects gameplay; FPS, that is a crutch you can hang on to. You didn't answer my question sincerely so I'm done with the conversation.
You asked me about Mario 64, which is irrelevant. We disagree, that's fine. No need to act silly.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
my laptop isn't the most powerful hardware, even by 2016 standards...

...it still managed to, somehow, be able to run TW3. With less-than-720p resolution, and not-even-30fps framerate.

I still managed to beat the base game, plus Hearts of Stone and get to Blood and Wine having an absolute blast. Amazing fucking game. Would I have preferred to have experienced it in ultra-crisp HD with max graphical settings? Of course! Did I have the chance? Not at all. I took what little I could and still had HOURS AND HOURS OF FUN. I'm pretty sure the Switch version will run better.
Haha yep, that sounds a lot like my experience with The Witcher 2. I'm happy I played the "less than optimal" experience at the time when I did (weak laptop), rather than skipping the game.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. 720p docked? It's great that more people will get to experience this game, but part of what makes it amazing is how beautiful it is.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The cycle continues of people calling the Switch hardware garbage that is incapable of playing games like Witcher 3, then it getting the game and people pivoting to it just being an inferior version as if a portable console would have the power to run at the same level as consoles.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The cycle continues of people calling the Switch hardware garbage that is incapable of playing games like Witcher 3, then it getting the game and people pivoting to it just being an inferior version as if a portable console would have the power to run at the same level as consoles.

The cycle:

1. The Switch can't get current gen games.
2. The Switch can't get current gen games without cutting the framerate in half.
3. The Switch can't get current gen open world games. Starlink and DQXIS don't count because reasons.
4. The Switch can't get The Witcher 3, one of the most ambitious and technically advanced open world games ever.
5. Wow, the Switch is getting The Witcher 3? Potato mode incoming, 240p max. They focused so much on whether they could that nobody asked if they should. Etc.
6. Oh wow 540p handheld, 720p docked? Well it wasn't that demanding of a game to begin with.
EDIT: 6': 720p? Absolutely disgusting.

Repeat for the next big port it gets.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The cycle:

2. The Switch can't get current gen games without cutting the framerate in half.
3. The Switch can't get current gen open world games. Starlink and DQXIS don't count because reasons.
4. The Switch can't get The Witcher 3, one of the most ambitious and technically advanced open world games ever.
5. Wow, the Switch is getting The Witcher 3? Potato mode incoming, 240p max. They focused so much on whether they could that nobody asked if they should. Etc.
6. Oh wow 540p handheld, 720p docked? Well it wasn't that demanding of a game to begin with.
So on point lol

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
The cycle:

7. I can't believe people are playing The Witcher 3 in 2019, the game is too old. Everybody has played it.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
So many games were less than 720p last gen and that didn't seem to be a problem. 720p should be fine.
Yeah, but there were a lot of people that had to use a mellon baller to scoop out their eyes. It's an under reported issue, there should be a charity for all the poor gamers that couldn't handle resolutions under 2160.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The cycle:

I love how accurate this is lol

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The cycle:

Alternative point 6: "720p? Absolutely disgusting!"

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The cycle:

Lol
So true

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The cycle:

That sums it up pretty nicely, yeah.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Screens look fine. I have the game on PC, but I think a switch port is nice, and I'll get it.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
The cycle:

Jesus Christ! This is sad but true...

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The cycle:

You could add

7: Well if you have no other way to play the game then I suppose it's fine but you won't be able to enjoy the developers full vision of the game.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
my laptop isn't the most powerful hardware, even by 2016 standards...

...it still managed to, somehow, be able to run TW3. With less-than-720p resolution, and not-even-30fps framerate.

I still managed to beat the base game, plus Hearts of Stone and get to Blood and Wine having an absolute blast. Amazing fucking game. Would I have preferred to have experienced it in ultra-crisp HD with max graphical settings? Of course! Did I have the chance? Not at all. I took what little I could and still had HOURS AND HOURS OF FUN. I'm pretty sure the Switch version will run better.
But you don't understand. i never enjoyed games before cuz they were sub HD trash./s

Sure, I can buy it on my ps4 or laptop. But that get up and go and quick turn on and restart where I last stopped at? Pfft, the switch is amazing, away from the TV.

Unless it's completely unplayable, I'm playing it portable mode for 15 minutes here and there and will love it.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cycle:

Lmao, that is just exactly the switch haters cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.