• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
The cycle:

1. The Switch can't get current gen games.
2. The Switch can't get current gen games without cutting the framerate in half.
3. The Switch can't get current gen open world games. Starlink and DQXIS don't count because reasons.
4. The Switch can't get The Witcher 3, one of the most ambitious and technically advanced open world games ever.
5. Wow, the Switch is getting The Witcher 3? Potato mode incoming, 240p max. They focused so much on whether they could that nobody asked if they should. Etc.
6. Oh wow 540p handheld, 720p docked? Well it wasn't that demanding of a game to begin with.
EDIT: 6': 720p? Absolutely disgusting.

Repeat for the next big port it gets.
Truth.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Still can't believe that this is actually happening. Been following these rumours for a while, but often it just seemed like wishful thinking. The two best open world games of the current generation will be on the most flexible system of the current generation..!

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
excellent compromise for people like me who cannot sit 60 hours in front of a TV.
Some people always like to ignore why people prefer portable gaming. There are very real and valid reasons why someone would choose to play a game on the Switch over the other platforms. Time to play is a very real issue. The ability to finish a game is a real thing. Many people are quite willing to make trade offs to be able to play a game in a manner that they know works best for them.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some people always like to ignore why people prefer portable gaming. There are very real and valid reasons why someone would choose to play a game on the Switch over the other platforms. Time to play is a very real issue. The ability to finish a game is a real thing. Many people are quite willing to make trade offs to be able to play a game in a manner that they know works best for them.
I am so excited for this port because I travel a lot for work and have 2 young children. Playing at home on the TV and trying to juggle responsibilities/sleep makes portability a big plus. I am also finding more and more hotels that are locking HDMI inputs, making it tough to even bring the dock along. So this will allow me to play what is apparently one of the best games of the recent generation.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
We're on page 22 . I wish we can move on from arguing in circles and gatekeep what is acceptable.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 on PC is absolutely gorgeous and I still would prefer it on Switch for portability as that is a huge factor for me.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am so excited for this port because I travel a lot for work and have 2 young children. Playing at home on the TV and trying to juggle responsibilities/sleep makes portability a big plus. I am also finding more and more hotels that are locking HDMI inputs, making it tough to even bring the dock along. So this will allow me to play what is apparently one of the best games of the recent generation.

I have two young kids as well and Switch has been a godsend for me. Not only is the portable aspect great but the instant on/off functionality from Switch is a game changer.

I view this console as a gamer mom/dad device.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We're on page 22 . I wish we can move on from arguing in circles and gatekeep what is acceptable.

Actually it seems like most of the recent posts have moved on from that.

I have two young kids as well and Switch has been a godsend for me. Not only is the portable aspect great but the instant on/off functionality from Switch is a game changer.

I view this console as a gamer mom/dad device.

100% agreed. They've been doing some marketing using that angle too lately. I think it's very, very smart.

I know a lot of people who grew up with Nintendo (I was born in '88 and had an NES when I was 2) who are now starting to have kids so it's honestly the perfect time for Nintendo to capitalize on that.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I wonder which surprising port we will get in the upcoming months; since last year, my guess has been The Division 2 because the snowdrop engine works well on Switch, but the ship is slowly sailing for that one unfortunately.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder which surprising port we will get in the upcoming months; since last year, my guess has been The Division 2 because the snowdrop engine works well on Switch, but the ship is slowly sailing for that one unfortunately.

I'd love a GTA on this system.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what engine steep was made in, but my concern with any online required games is that Ubisoft won't put forth the full effort to get them working on the platform. Not that Nintendo has made it any easier for these resource intensive, online games to be easily/successfully transferred over.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The surprise is that is was not ported yet, if you ask me. It's a previous gen game at core... Rockstar has been leaving lots of money on the table. Imagine GTA 5 releasing in the middle of 2018 when the lineup was quite barren for nearly a year...

All their resources were probably focused on RDR2 at that time, and they may still be very focused on this game (online components etc.). Even with an external port studio they may want (or have) to test the final product in-house.

They may have just entered the time where they can even think about new games.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The surprise is that is was not ported yet, if you ask me. It's a previous gen game at core... Rockstar has been leaving lots of money on the table. Imagine GTA 5 releasing in the middle of 2018 when the lineup was quite barren for nearly a year...

I think with CDPR using the 32 GB card, maybe Rockstar will jump on now. Maybe those cards are starting to go down in price?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo probably didnt offer 32GB carts to 2K previously. But they man may offer now if those cards are in mass production

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
2mpwgb.jpg

Stop 😂

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't there been stories about bad blood between the Housers and Nintendo? Or was that a long time ago?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original so game looks fine to me.

It's gonna be fun seeing people claim "x can't run on the switch, too underpowered" now lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original so game looks fine to me.

It's gonna be fun seeing people claim "x can't run on the switch, too underpowered" now lol

I mean, I think it's probably now fair to say any game that runs decently on a base XB1 can be ported to the Switch reasonably well.

The quality of any port will depend of course on the budget behind the port, but if there is money and time I think most anything can come.

LA Noire was one of the 1st multiplat game to hit day and date on Switch so I don't think there is a personal problem between them.

It may be that they just are waiting for the optimal time, profit-wise.

Right, good point. I forgot about that one.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I think with CDPR using the 32 GB card, maybe Rockstar will jump on now. Maybe those cards are starting to go down in price?
Nintendo probably didnt offer 32GB carts to 2K previously. But they man may offer now if those cards are in mass production

I think this has more to do with Nintendo doing everything they can to secure such a port, I could see CDPR wanting to avoid leaving out content and preferring having all on a single cart and Nintendo maybe offering lower prices for the 32GB cart.
But I obviously have no insider knowledge, it's just a guess.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I think this has more to do with Nintendo doing everything they can to secure such a port, I could see CDPR wanting to avoid leaving out content and preferring having all on a single cart and Nintendo maybe offering lower prices for the 32GB cart.

It's a reasonable guess; but then, I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't do the same to receive GTA5, which is the biggest game of this generation and the previous one. Maybe the GTA5 port will release this year during the winter holidays, who knows...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think CDPR is also known for being rather generous with their retail releases. Which is why all of those physical goodies are included in the standard retail release.

So maybe they are a bit more amenable to paying a little more for a 32GB card than say, Take-Two.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Not showing more of the game during E3 is midly blue-balling I must say. I have numerous 10 hours flights in the upcoming weeks, and I would have loved to play the game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
For sure
When Witcher 3 was still unconfirmed i speculatd it would come in a 32GB card because this game looks like something Nintendo would want on the Switch and it would be a subsidized port. I was right about it.

CDPR Probably got offered very low prices for the carts and the porting cost may have been subsidized too.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
It's a reasonable guess; but then, I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't do the same to receive GTA5, which is the biggest game of this generation and the previous one. Maybe the GTA5 port will release this year during the winter holidays, who knows...

Well, E3 for Nintendo is "a slightly bigger Direct", and even last year we saw big new stuff during the August Direct iirc, so who knows?

I think CDPR is also known for being rather generous with their retail releases. Which is why all of those physical goodies are included in the standard retail release.

So maybe they are a bit more amenable to paying a little more for a 32GB card than say, Take-Two.

Yup, I'm inclined to agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For sure
When Witcher 3 was still unconfirmed i speculatd it would come in a 32GB card because this game looks like something Nintendo would want on the Switch and it would be a subsidized port. I was right about it.

CDPR Probably got offered very low prices for the carts and the porting cost may have been subsidized too.
Wow, your speculation turned out to happen with the 32GB card being real, but we know nothing of how this port was brewed behind the scenes. Maybe CDPR decided to do it on their own, like many other publishers have.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The Witcher 3 on PC is absolutely gorgeous and I still would prefer it on Switch for portability as that is a huge factor for me.
i been wanting to replay the game for a 4th time on my PC, but don't want to that experience again. Would love to experience this game again in undock mode on the switch, just to see what it would be like.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For sure

I think CPDR got the same deal as Skyrim/Doom in 2017.

Basically the 32gb cart of today are the 16gb carts of two years ago.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, your speculation turned out to happen with the 32GB card being real, but we know nothing of how this port was brewed behind the scenes. Maybe CDPR decided to do it on their own, like many other publishers have.
Yeah it's pure speculation in.my part that Nintendo subsidized the costs of porting :}

But because it's 32GB and all eyes are on them, I have high faith as well CDPr will make sure it is a good port

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm forward to Cyberpunk 2077 at dynamic 540p in 2021! Not trolling, I feel that it's going to get ported if Witcher does well. They'll find a way!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if this game can somehow run on Switch then anything on PS4/XBO can. Lol
well it has been said that it's not hardware that prevents games. the issue is the very one The Witcher 3 seems to overcome somehow. either Nintendo is subsidizing cart costs or this game is $70.

or carts are just that much cheaper

Oct 25, 2017
Interested for sure. Want to see more footage, especially handheld. If they can manage to get the frame rate to be smooth I think I may jump in.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Not showing more of the game during E3 is midly blue-balling I must say. I have numerous 10 hours flights in the upcoming weeks, and I would have loved to play the game.

From Nintendo's side there was nothing but a trailer and a news announcement / tweet. Been a bit surprised that there wasn't more coverage. But it means that it's not ready yet to be showcased in Treehouse or so.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over that A: this game is coming to Switch and B: whoever started the rumor thread was 100% right.

Crazy times.

Status
Not open for further replies.