• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Certainly looks better than the "impossible version" I was lead to believe we were getting
Yeah, Digital Foundry is very, very biased. They have a set of assumptions that comes up in every bit of coverage of the system they do, and only after a long time it has slightly budged.
I don't expect anything from Capcom. They've been borderline disrespectful with the switch owners (re4 being crazy expensive, and not including the gyro aiming option for example).
And anyway, the Witcher 3 is a much better get as far as I'm concerned than anything Capcom could release on the system.
RE7 and RE2 would be good gets, imo.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, Digital Foundry is very, very biased. They have a set of assumptions that comes up in every bit of coverage of the system they do, and only after a long time it has slightly budged.

RE7 and RE2 would be good gets, imo.
A custom monster hunter game for Switch would cause me to forgive capcom and absolve them of all their sins ... as it stands now switch is basically a port platform for most companies

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Didn't took any offense, so everythings cool.

From the little you've played, did you ever had any situations where an attack of yours missed because it took too long?

From my memory, kind of. In the early stages, the swamp/river monsters evaded attacks after I pressed the "heavy attack" button one too many times. I just figured that I wasn't using a good enough strategy at that time.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I'm hearing I will wait for reviews of switch version. Game just probably isn't for me though I want to support their decision to bring the game to switch.

Unpopular opinion but I don't enjoy the world in this game at all. I love exploring open worlds and I never feel interested in doing so in TW3. I can't really put my finger on it either. I just don't feel compelled to even go "off the beaten path" - I just stick to roads for the most part to get to where I need to go.

The best open worlds in my opinion are ones where you see something interesting way off in the distance and it makes you want to go investigate. Xenoblade Chronicles X, BotW, AC: Origins all did this for me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion but I don't enjoy the world in this game at all. I love exploring open worlds and I never feel interested in doing so in TW3. I can't really put my finger on it either. I just don't feel compelled to even go "off the beaten path" - I just stick to roads for the most part to get to where I need to go.

The best open worlds in my opinion are ones where you see something interesting way off in the distance and it makes you want to go investigate. Xenoblade Chronicles X, BotW, AC: Origins all did this for me.

What really wowed me about TW3 was some of the enormous underground ruins and caves and how they were built seamlessly within the world. That kinda blew my mind in 2015.

Beyond that there wasn't too much which was all that memorable for me. Novigrad was very cool at first but the size of it wound up getting annoying and tedious the longer I played through the game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If you can deal with BotW combat, you can certainly deal with TW3 combat.

That could not be more of an apples and oranges comparison. BOTW (melee) combat is extremely simple but you are given precise control over what Link does at all times. TW3 combat is a bit more complex but you sacrifice some level of precise control in favor of Geralt doing flashy moves.

They are basically opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the issues people have with TW3's combat.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
That could not be more of an apples and oranges comparison. BOTW (melee) combat is extremely simple but you are given precise control over what Link does at all times. TW3 combat is a bit more complex but you sacrifice some level of precise control in favor of Geralt doing flashy moves.

They are basically opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the issues people have with TW3's combat.

Agreed, but I was speaking more to both games being amazing even though they both have less-than-stellar combat.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Plus the fact that combat in botw encompasses far more than the traditional battle system with all the tricks you can do with runes and physics of the world etc

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but I was speaking more to both games being amazing even though they both have less-than-stellar combat.

I see. Well I vehemently disagree about BotW's combat being less than stellar. Yes, the melee combat specifically was simple but that was one of many aspects of combat in that game. The way all of the game's systems interact seamlessly allowing you to use any and all of them in order to defeat enemies is all part of the combat in that game.

Plus the fact that combat in botw encompasses far more than the traditional battle system with all the tricks you can do with runes and physics of the world etc

Yep, which is why I specifically noted I was just talking about the melee combat being simple.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the things in gaming that get casually excused, I think TW3's less-than-stellar combat might be the least compelling example. I mean, four years from launch and it's still the hottest topic in any new thread...

In reality: TW3 has a perfectly functional combat system which improves massively on the studio's previous efforts, but remains the weakest part of their development. That's okay: most great games do have their flaws - flaws that stand out so much more in contrast to their successes (just hop into any RDR2 or BotW thread for further examples) but this is only a sign that no developer is infallible.
I agree with everything,TW3 don't has the best combat,but is far from the worst,it never bothered or impacted my experience.

Dec 23, 2017

Funny to me you hear all the praise and then get in these forums and hear a lot of negative stuff. I guess I will just wait on reviews.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
If you can deal with BotW combat, you can certainly deal with TW3 combat.

For me, TW3 combat is easily worst part of game,
BotW combat is not best part of BotW but its far from bad because offers so much different kind of approaches and engagements to combat that you can always make it interesting.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Funny to me you hear all the praise and then get in these forums and hear a lot of negative stuff. I guess I will just wait on reviews.

This is an ERA thing, Skyrim has a way worse combat than TW3 and during launch everyone was praising Skyrim despite having a really bad combat, TW3 combat is not exceptional by any means but it's still better than Skyrim by a large margin. Reviews are already out.

Dec 23, 2017
This is an ERA thing, Skyrim has a way worse combat than TW3 and during launch everyone was praising Skyrim despite having a really bad combat, TW3 combat is not exceptional by any means but it's still better than Skyrim by a large margin. Reviews are already out.
Reviews for switch version. I'm not a rpg fan at all. I just don't want to purchase the game and then end up not playing it wasting money.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Reviews for switch version. I'm not a rpg fan at all. I just don't want to purchase the game and then end up not playing it wasting money.

I don't understand, the Switch version will obviously be a downgrade but it's still the same game on all the platforms.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Witcher 3 Nintendo Switch's biggest changes 'are interface and controls'

"We're really happy with how Witcher 3 is playing on Switch," he said. "It's still at a quality that we're proud of, but we also understand that there were hardware trade-offs that we had to do, in terms of performance versus graphics.

"Right now there's a bit less foliage and some of draw the distances are lower… but it still looks amazing," he added. "I was very impressed. Unless you pointed a lot of changes out to me I probably wouldn't have noticed them."

"You'll get the full Witcher 3 and all expansions," he said. "We're not really cutting anything. The biggest changes that we made involve the user interface and how you interact is a bit different on the Switch compared to other versions.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I just can't get into them. As silly as this sound they seem to complex for me. Like having to upgrade use all these different potion, etc. I've only been able to play one rpg and like it and that was project x zone for 3ds.
I'd say Witcher 3 is pretty light on it's RPG mechanics, it's quite close to just action-adventure. And while there may be stuff that might feel bit overwhelming if you're not at all familiar with RPG:s, depending on the difficulty you choose much of it can be ignored. Like with potions and bombs on easier difficulties, you need to make a specific potion just once and after that you can refill them by a simple rest. Actually on easier difficulties you can also ignore most of the potions, bombs and elixirs altogether. You'll get by with just health potion. Spec in to melee and you only need to use one spell in combat, Quen. If you're looking for a challenge, then you need to dive bit deeper. If you're into story focused games, Witcher 3 is one of the best there is. Also if you like choice & consequence in games it's great.

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

"We're really happy with how Witcher 3 is playing on Switch," he said. "It's still at a quality that we're proud of, but we also understand that there were hardware trade-offs that we had to do, in terms of performance versus graphics.

"Right now there's a bit less foliage and some of draw the distances are lower… but it still looks amazing," he added. "I was very impressed. Unless you pointed a lot of changes out to me I probably wouldn't have noticed them."

"You'll get the full Witcher 3 and all expansions," he said. "We're not really cutting anything. The biggest changes that we made involve the user interface and how you interact is a bit different on the Switch compared to other versions.
Touch Screen inventory management?

Oct 27, 2017
From my memory, kind of. In the early stages, the swamp/river monsters evaded attacks after I pressed the "heavy attack" button one too many times. I just figured that I wasn't using a good enough strategy at that time.

Maybe it was because you weren't accustomed to the combat yet, but everytime you press the attack button Geralt randomly does different animations with different lenghts and speeds. That's what I meant with that you never know which attack you will do and it's obviously a pretty bad thing if you want to have any kind of control in combat.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Touch Screen inventory management?

Witcher 3 has a very cluttered UI even on a large PC monitor, this is likely adjusted text size and minimizing the quest log in such a way people can still see pertinent info without it completely cluttering the screen.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
8GB would be overkill in any case for rest of Switch hardware, I could see maybe additional 2GB of RAM.
What if 2GB of that 4GB goes to the OS for expanded functionality (streaming, recording, camera, browser, party chat, etc, etc)? Only 6GB doesn't necessarily mean 5.25GB for games, in fact I'd expect Nintendo more likely give more to feature improvements and beef up the measly .75GB they reserve now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if 2GB of that 4GB goes to the OS for expanded functionality (streaming, recording, camera, browser, party chat, etc, etc)? Only 6GB doesn't necessarily mean 5.25GB for games, in fact I'd expect Nintendo more likely give more to feature improvements and beef up the measly .75GB they reserve now.
given the OS is as light as it is, 100% more ram towards it would be a considerable upgrade. it's not like it does much. that leaves 4.5GBs for games. not much, but any upgrade is a good one

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

I just can't play skyrim no more after BOTW. The combat system is so ridiculously bad, I just can't.
I already had major problems with it on the PS3 but was like "meh, I can deal with it". I started playing sykrim again (this time on switch cause the ps3 version was a mess) months ago, I'm almost at level 30 now but it was a HUGE pain in the ass even coming "that far".

it's a huge relief for me reading that witchers combat is (apparently) way better than skyrims.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just can't play skyrim no more after BOTW. The combat system is so ridiculously bad, I just can't.
I already had major problems with it on the PS3 but was like "meh, I can deal with it". I started playing sykrim again (this time on switch cause the ps3 version was a mess) months ago, I'm almost at level 30 now but it was a HUGE pain in the ass even coming "that far".

it's a huge relief for me reading that witchers combat is (apparently) way better than skyrims.
Sword combat is. But ranged and magic is better and more varied in skyrim.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
CDPR wants a Witcher design Switch bundle (like for Diablo 3?) but currently it is unclear whether it will work out:

There will be so much salt if this happens.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR wants a Witcher design Switch bundle (like for Diablo 3?) but currently it is unclear whether it will work out:

There will be so much salt if this happens.

If Nintendo wanted this game like they did Diablo, I can see it happening. Maybe even a bundle with the pro revision

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Release date could be September 24th:

But it's just a retailer leak, could still be a placeholder.
I mean, I want it sooner rather than later, but damn, if true, that would make September probably the craziest release month for the Switch's lifetime.
The Chinese retailer was also saying September if I recall.
True. It's a distinct possibility considering two separate retail leaks mentioned a September release date. The only thing that's strange is that they wouldn't have announced it at E3 already if it is only 3 months out.

Status
Not open for further replies.