• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has now been confirmed that The Witcher 3 is weighing roughly 32gb on Nintendo Switch, but more importantly that it has everything on the card. No download is required, making it the first game to use a 32gb card since Dragon Quest Heroes I+II exclusive to the japanese Switch launch. With the talk ongoing about games needing a download, it was worth bringing out.

D80PvRjUEAAAmIe.png

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Witcher being entirely in the kart while Spyro needs a download is kinda funny tbh

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's nice to see CDPR showing other publishers that not only you can port graphic intensive games, but also use big cartridges (even for ports).

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
All these other publishers are making excuses for splitting their game up into downloadable extras and here is Witcher 3 on a single card. Bravo.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to buy it just to support their efforts at least, even though I already have the PS4 one. Like damn :O

Switch will be the one system with both of ERA's most concencus GOTGs so far, who'd have thought lol

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't one of the Final Fantasies use a 32 GB card? i remember seeing that somewhere.

The Japanese and Asian version of FFX/X-2 uses a 32GB card on Switch from what I've heard. Both games are on cart, unlike the Western version.

This will be the first game in the West to use it, though.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
The Japanese and Asian version of FFX/X-2 uses a 32GB card on Switch from what I've heard. Both games are on cart, unlike the Western version.

This will be the first game in the West to use it, though.
Well it shows great commiment to this port, gives me faith that this will turn out decently.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this make the 32 GB cart cheaper, encourage more devs to use and quit using storage and costs as excuse anymore.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
About time that someone stepped up. Having this all on a cart and running on a handheld seemed like a pie in the sky dream only a week ago and yet, here we are.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
With the right optimization, it should be alright. I think an effort to get clever with rendering distance will probably be apparent, and probably the right move. Raising details for close in stuff, while further away is a bit 'artistic' looking may not be perfect, it's probably the best choice. We're dealing with a good bit less GPU than even OG X1, so we can't expect miracles, but I think smart priorities can make it ok.

A pure 1:1 port would probably run like absolute garbage with long draw distances and LOD. So I'm ok with turning that down to maintain the general look of what your immediate surroundings are, and hopefully a 30fps feel.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good sign that 32GB cards have come down in price or will do so soon. So we should expect more games to use them.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking that the Switch cards are like SD cards, and should be priced as such.
They aren't. The memory in Switch carts isn't rewritable. In theory it should actually be cheaper than Flash, because it's simpler, but it also isn't used as much (at least in the capacities Nintendo is using).

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the Asian versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD also on 32GB carts?

Also cramming W3 into 32GB is black magic, wow! This is some Resident Evil 2 on N64 shit. (Assuming it'll be a decent port)

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
This will be the reason I'm buying the game. There are so few games releasing in their entirety today and seeing the extras they toss in is icing on the cake.

Oct 25, 2017
witcher 3 on a single cart... megaman, X, resident evil, all these collections which are smaller... all have downloads... optimization is hard huh guys.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I never did finish it or get the DLCs. So, I'll probably pick this up just because of this.