• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This is being discussed in the thread for the promotion, but I felt it warranted its own discussion.

As reported by Wario64:

Basically, since the $10 coupon only works on games $14.99 and up, The Witcher 3 has been rendered ineligible. No word on who made the change, but it was probably CD Projekt Red (since IIRC WB Games only published the console releases).

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I seem to remember something similar happening last time Epic had the coupon deal, so they probably should have worked this out beforehand, but yeah it's hard to argue that the game isn't worth $15

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Not that $15 isn't a good price for how much good game you're getting, but...

Seems fine, it's still worth $15
Nah, like the Hades situation last time, this is bullshit. Since Epic is paying the difference it shouldn't matter to CDPR unless they're just worried about the perceptual devaluation of their game, and if that was the case, they shouldn't have put their product on a store known to do big sales/discounts like this.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hasn't this game sold like 30 million copies or something crazy like that? Couldn't let people have for the cheap even then lol

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still a good deal for this game, was a great deal for anyone who got it for $4.99 yesterday.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a problem with it wanting to keep their initial price. Probably the best way to go about it was telling everyone it wouldn't be a part of this promotion tho.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh no, one of the best AAA games of the generation is at the outrageous price of less than $15. The audacity of it all!

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
A couple of days ago some of my friends mentioned this is probably the next game that will be given away on the store
So maybe this is to prevent people wasting their coupons on something that's going to be free for a while

Or maybe not, lol who knows

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Well the game was just released on the store, maybe they don't want all their new Epic Store sales to be at 5$

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Lol, that's honestly pretty funny. I can understand it tho, since they've been careful about not letting the GOTY edition fall under $10 iirc.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, in my country Tetris Effect goes a bit lower too during all promotions to avoid the 10 USD discount.
Whoa, I guess I got lucky. Finally picked Tetris Effexct up with the discount.

Witcher 3 is definitely worth 15 bucks. I bought the original for full price then both dlcs on sale. That said, this is still a snakey move. I was under the impression that publishers don't actually lose money on these coupons though? I thought epic covered that. This happened before too with other games if I remember correctly.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
BbFhFuW.jpg

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is hilariously disingenuous.

Absolutely no one is acting like the strawman you created in your post.
No, instead it's "oh no, what bastards CDPR are for not wanting to devalue their game, regardless of them being paid the difference".

If this was Nintendo, people would be lining up to defend them for keeping it at $60.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Epic should just configure their store so that developers and publishers should just be able to opt out of promotions. They constantly have issues like this during sales/promotions.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't change on my end. Still able to get it for around $6.

edit: Oh, but it's ineligible for the coupon even though its over $20. Just like yesterday. Some shady shit going on.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Some of you all need to be careful, you may trip on the way to defending this with how fast you're running lol. I don't even think anyone is all that mad, it's just funny more than anything. They launch this on literally the same day this $10 promotion happens and then lower it literally a penny to not be part of the same promotion they launched the day of. You can't help but laugh at the incompetence of someone whether it be CDPR or Epic or both. Shit is funny

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
How does the promotion actually work? Do the developers still get that full amount when a game is sold with the 10 buck discount, and Epic games just eats the cost? If so it's kinda silly to do this imo, but not a big deal given that the game is absolutely worth 15 bucks either way.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
No, instead it's "oh no, what bastards CDPR are for not wanting to devalue their game, regardless of them being paid the difference".

If this was Nintendo, people would be lining up to defend them for keeping it at $60.
The Witcher 3 was 14.99 and was changed some hours ago to 14.98 making it ineligible to use the coupon. Entirely different situations. Also, this is about The Witcher 3 and not Nintendo. You can bring whatever company into this discussion, doesn't change a single thing in this situation.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
How does the promotion actually work? Do the developers still get that full amount when a game is sold with the 10 buck discount, and Epic games just eats the cost? If so it's kinda silly to do this imo, but not a big deal given that the game is absolutely worth 15 bucks either way.

It's been said in the past Epic eats the cost, because something like this happened the last time, but I have no idea if that was confirmed to be true or not

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Witcher 3 was 14.99 and was changed some hours ago to 14.98 making it ineligible to use the coupon. Entirely different situations. Also, this is about The Witcher 3 and not Nintendo. You can bring whatever company into this discussion, doesn't change a single thing in this situation.
And my, admittedly sarcastic, first post was essentially about cdpr wanting to avoid devaluing the game on the store to $5.

Why is that such a problem?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hey, you quoted my post and offered absolutely no explanation for why this is such a bad thing so maybe calm yourself down for a sec.

I am very calm. Your posts do not make sense in relation to what you're replying to.

I quoted your post because you were being disingenuous.

If you don't understand why it's shitty to lower the price by a penny so that consumers can't take advantage of a sale -- after the sale had already started and people were able to buy the game with the promotion -- I don't know what to say.

It's a crappy thing to do for consumers. Your response was to be dishonest and say that people are saying that the game is too expensive at $15.

Nope. Didn't happen.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
If they don't want to devalue the game, maybe they shouldn't have launched the game on the Epic Games store and immediately put it on a 70% off sale. Taking a penny off just to not have to take part in a promotion just makes them look lame.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Epic eats the cost, but it does devalue the game. I know if I'm about to buy a game, I'll wait if I notice it's been on sale for 5 dollars before.

Weird that they weren't informed of this before, especially since their game just released on the store this week.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Likely a publisher request not theirs
Responsibility falls on Epic. The reason this happens so often is that their promotions are ill thought out, their communication with publishers and developers on their store is lacking, and their backend is missing basic functionality like "allowing a game to be exempt from a given promotion".

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
And my, admittedly sarcastic, first post was essentially about cdpr wanting to avoid devaluing the game on the store to $5.

Why is that such a problem?
If they didn't want their game to participate in a sale they shouldn't have put it on a store notorious for throwing discounts at people. It's hubris. (And a testament to Epic's continually bad communication with companies putting stuff up on the store too)

It's not even like the store is showing it as $5, it comes off during the purchase.

Likely a publisher request not theirs
They are the publisher on PC, unless for some reason Warner puts it up on non-GOG stores on PC.