• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
What's the problem exactly?
Modding?
Will it lose its mod support because of this?

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
What's the big deal? If it's just options, it's alright. I don't think they'll make drastic changes to the textures or the content.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Presumably the ray tracing stuff is on a toggle, and this isn't a Metro Exodus type of ray tracing rebuild

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess all the separate SKU stuff fell through after they had to take over dev from Saber.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably just another mode in the graphics menu. Cyberpunk already did this.

Not sure what the big deal is.

It's not just another mode in graphics menu. That is not how things work. They probably updated engine and many other things that could cause issues. One example is that original version could potentially run way better on Steam Deck but if they just replace it then Deck owners will get worse deal. i can say a lot about 2K but they are kinda only company that actually did things right and kept original versions of their remastered games and actually gave them with new purchases of their remasters. That is why if you don't like changes or you have issues in Mafia 2 Definitive Edition (Or Bioshock 1 and 2) you can always play original release.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just another mode in graphics menu. That is not how things work. They probably updated engine and many other things that could cause issues. One example is that original version could potentially run way better on Steam Deck but if they just replace it then Deck owners will get worse deal. i can say a lot about 2K but they are kinda only company that actually did things right and kept original versions of their remastered games and actually gave them with new purchases of their remasters. That is why if you don't like changes or you have issues in Mafia 2 Definitive Edition (Or Bioshock 1 and 2) you can always play original release.
How about you wait and see before you raise your flag to be outraged? Like, cmon.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I really hope there's a misunderstanding here. Why update a 7 year old branch with thousands of mods for it.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Maybe entertain the thought that it could also work better than the old version.

Let's wait and see, then be outraged if it comes out cooked. Out of all developers I'm sure CDPR would fix the situation.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
It's probably just another mode in the graphics menu. Cyberpunk already did this.

Not sure what the big deal is.

People just explained it to you. It could be just a toggle, but it also just could be more and with how long they worked on this, there's probably a bit more behind it and we already had situations like with RE 2 where the newer version replaced the old one and it ran like shit on many systems, including the Steam Deck.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Let's just settle down and see how this actually pans out first

Maybe entertain the thought that it could also work better than the old version.

Let's wait and see, then be outraged if it comes out cooked. Out of all developers I'm sure CDPR would fix the situation.

If it is an Update and game gets updated and breaks modded version of the game and CDPR then decided to reverse things they will just piss people. So it's better to tell them before release not to do it. On their side it means nothing if they release it as separate version (at least on Steam where it is easy to make it separate product and add it to the library of previous owners).

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
What's the difference between this and any other update besides scope?

Any update, no matter how small can cause issues that were not there in the previous version.

Should dev create a new Steam listing for literally every update they do to 'preserve' the old version?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem exactly?
Modding?
Will it lose its mod support because of this?
Could cause potential issues, and with it being the only version there would be no way to go back to the older version where those issues didn't exist

This happened with Resident Evil 2 on PC, and eventually Capcom allowed people to chose to play the older version if they wanted

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Any update, no matter how small can cause issues that were not there in the previous version.

Should dev create a new Steam listing for literally every update they do to 'preserve' the old version?
This is what I was thinking. If it releases and breaks all the mods than I can understand, but I doubt that happens and if it did we don't have enough info to get mad about it right now.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
For archival purposes? Just download the original installer from GoG and keep it for all time. There - it's archived.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Not finding the Issue here.
Maybe it's left a bad taste in my mouth from the disaster that was the re2 updated, but they could end up coming with a dumpster fire of a release version that also doesn't run on hardware or used to have no issue with on.

You'd hope they'd at least have like a dx11/vulkan/dx12 option before the game launches, but we've seen disasters before lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This is what I was thinking. If it releases and breaks all the mods than I can understand, but I doubt that happens and if it did we don't have enough info to get mad about it right now.
Who's getting mad. This is not unprecedented and I don't see the issue of suggesting a method that works for everyone.

The concept of voicing concerns is not solely for the sake of getting mad, it's to convey a potential issue that can be remedied before it may be too late.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

This is significant update to the game. You can;t just add Ray Tracing to the almost decade old version of the engine. And yes some of the developers allow you to pick version of the game you want to run on Steam because as i said before it costs them nothing and it is very easy to set up via Steam backend.

but people hated it when skyrim special did it, because it DID break the mods and break the community in half

Skyrim had issues with their releases in few ways. First it wasn't free unless you owned all DLCs, second Special Edition allowed better modding if i remember correctly because they moved to 64bit executable. And third they left older version alone so everyone who wanted to mod and play that version could do it.

Download and archive the version on GOG right now if that's what you want.

I own game on Steam.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
For archival purposes? Just download the original installer from GoG and keep it for all time. There - it's archived.

This. If you're inclined to keep and archive the original un-updated version and be able to play it later, you can actually do that right now since on gog it's drm free.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Doesn't GoG let you download previous versions of games? For Cyberpunk you are (or were when I last looked) able to download any past version of the game. Aren't GoG games also drm free? So there would definitely be an older version available to download online. This seems like it could be a non issue?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Presumably the ray tracing stuff is on a toggle, and this isn't a Metro Exodus type of ray tracing rebuild

yeah that's disappointing...I wanted a complete ground up rebuild of the game with ray-tracing...Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition feels like a new game

Last edited:

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think it's neccessarily a problem if it's a toggle for RT, which is likely. Not sure if there are other improvements that could bump up requirements, I hope it's not an RE situation where there was outcry enough to bring back the past versions. I'd hope CDPR would be better than Capcom though tbh when it comes to PC releases, so not expecting this to be a problem.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Not really a problem considering it's a GOG game, so no DRM and you can just download the old version before the update and save that client.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Disappointing, but not unexpected.

I still have my Witcher 3 Steam install with something like 50 mods enabled from my last play-through in 2019.
I had spent a good amount of time finding mods that were compatible with the last version of the game - as each game update can be mod-breaking.
I had done the usual mod compatibility tweaking, played with mod scripts, etc.

I really like where my game is at, and I had hoped I could just start a third play-through one day with everything sorted and ready to go. Seems this will not be the case.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say, yeah, you can download the entire installer for the GOG version and store it for future use.

Doesn't GoG let you download previous versions of games? For Cyberpunk you are (or were when I last looked) able to download any past version of the game. Aren't GoG games also drm free? So there would definitely be an older version available to download online. This seems like it could be a non issue?

Not really a problem considering it's a GOG game, so no DRM and you can just download the old version before the update and save that client.
How does this help me on Steam?

I know Witcher 2 had a thing where you could take your Steam key and redeem it for a GOG copy, but I'm not seeing the same for 3, unless I'm missing it.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
yeah that's disappointing...I wanted a complete ground up rebuild of the game with ray-tracing...Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition feels like a new game

Cyberpunk 2077 has the most robust raytracing implementation in gaming and it's a toggle, I wouldn't worry about that limiting the experience.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a patch, not a whole new game. I'd rather not have two different versions of the same game installed, thank you.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So just move the game file directory to a different folder or disable auto update?!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Man I really hope the game still plays well on my laptop

Replaced the library art because the new one is hideous

Status
Not open for further replies.