• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I agree. You put my thoughts into words. Same reason why I dropped it.

I think if I had played and loved 1 and 2 I could've stomached this one more but mqn the gameplay wasn't very fun.

Because it's not fucking shit mate.
What a shit drive by post for a very well thought out thread. You clearly didn't read the OP and if you did it is even worse...

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Ok thats why the thread is about gameplay. TW3 is still a good game in those aspects, you dont have to defend it there

The point is still relevant though. I don't see people calling dragon's dogma "shit" because the plot and the world are uninteresting (uninteresting - not shit - despite me not liking it. Maturity goes a long way into recognizing that things that dont suit your tastes arent necessarily bad). Both games excel in different areas.

I agree OP, I made an LTTP thread for the game after I had beat it and criticized similar things but most of the thread was just people disagreeing with me with no real rebuttals.

If your 'argument' is "x thing is shit, literally the worst thing i ever seen in my lfie" (case in point - the post by oldsnakeonline just below this one), don't expect to get any serious rebuttals. It's not this website fault, its yours.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree OP, I made an LTTP thread for the game after I had beat it and criticized similar things but most of the thread was just people disagreeing with me with no real rebuttals. So if there is one thing to take from this OP is that a large majority of people on this site cannot take even a little bit of criticism when it comes to this game (or series for that matter). Even if you say you like the game, which I personally did despite its flaws.
since when shit combat or shit gameplay is criticism? Come on now. Usually people get defensive about any game or any series when you create a thread talking about its issues but frame it in a such a way that its sounds ridiculous, tone and approach matters when discussing shit on internet , especially since its all written text.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
since when shit combat or shit gameplay is criticism? Come on now. Usually people get defensive about any game or any series when you create a thread talking about its issues but frame it in a such a way that its sounds ridiculous, tone and approach matters when discussing shit on internet , especially since its all written text.

"this game is shit, people give it a pass because they're biased"
"that's not true"
"WHOA DUDE WHY SO DEFENSIVE"

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I try to refrain from Witcher 3 topics due to its obsessive fan base on ERA but count me in on the group that loved the world building and story, yet hated the gameplay mechanics surrounding it.

It was a complete chore up until I bailed.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If your 'argument' is "x thing is shit, literally the worst thing i ever seen in my lfie", don't expect to get any serious rebuttals. It's not this website fault, its yours.

The title reads a lot like many of the 0/10 user reviews you will find on Metacritic ie.
TrrzPYl.jpg

This is why it is a 5/10 game for me. It has the worst combat of this generation.
These kinds of posts too just seem like attention grabs

Implying a game needs to be given a pass, when most of the most positive reviews still consider the combat the weaker part of the game, just not so bad that everything great about it is "given a pass".

If the aspects the game is praised for arent enough, then the game might simply not be for you rather than it being shit.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's almost like I have tastes that don't align with generic mass-appeal, and am well-aware of it to at least the extent that I use said understanding to affect how I spend my time on games. Weird, right?

I find it profoundly-important to pay close attention to exactly why and how people say they like these games to better-inform myself of their dispositions, tastes and articulations - and how best to parse and act on this information. The reasoning behind an opinion is far more useful and important to me than the opinion itself; anyone can say they love or hate a game, but not everyone can really explain why once they go past surface-level dis/approval.

It's kinda funny how being analytical in how you approach the interpretations of others' opinions can be used, isn't it?

"Tens of millions" of people saying "Yes" isn't as useful as one well-contextualized person with a well-analyzed and introspective statement that says at length "Yes/No, and here's why."
There have been plenty of positive reviews that go well beyond 'surface level' criticism and in the case of The Witcher 3, that's the overwhelming majority. You seem to have a preconception of what the game is, how it plays and whether or not you'd like it and then sought out and preemptively agreed with the negative views that match up with your own idea of the game you haven't played. Given how condescendingly written this response is, it is pretty obvious you confuse cynicism and negativity with objectivity and intelligence.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
Put about 30 hours into this game and the moment to moment gameplay didn't really grab me. Combat lacked weight, menus loaded far too slowly. Felt like a complete slog getting from here to there.

I don't think it's shit. But it is overrated in my book. It does have some of the best production values I've ever seen in a game though.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay is great and complaints about the combat are overblown. The game is an RPG, not a character action game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Grand Theft Auto V and Witcher 3 are lacking in the gameplay department and they're still highly regarded because of every other aspect being so absurdly fantastic.

For some, moment to moment action doesn't make a game. Personally, I wanted both to be stronger on the combat fronts to keep me engaged but I know (and accept) that I'm in the minority there.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Yeah I've started the game three times and its always around twenty ot thirty hours that I just can't play anymore. Like you I like most of the game(although I didn't think the writing was as great as everyone said) but the combat was mind numbingly boring and I agree the witcher sense was so overused.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"this game is shit, people give it a pass because they're biased"
"that's not true"
"WHOA DUDE WHY SO DEFENSIVE"
Huge difference between saying, "I didn't like this game very much due to the rough combat" and "the game is overrated garbage"

Yet people like to talk like the second and get so "offended" that people get defensive.

It's like other shit in real life. Tone and how you say something is almost as important and what you are saying.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If your 'argument' is "x thing is shit, literally the worst thing i ever seen in my lfie" (case in point - the post by oldsnakeonline just below this one), don't expect to get any serious rebuttals. It's not this website fault, its yours.

When I made my thread on the subject (as well as other problems I had with the game) my argument wasn't just "it's shit" and that's really disingenuous to assume that it was.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The combat complaints are weird, it's hardly the worst combat ever, and certainly not "shit" - just kinda average at best.

Maybe everybody is playing it weird?
I never used Quen, mostly Aard/Igni and dodging around opponents.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looking at sales numbers, seems like that's the majority
And I definitley recognize and can respect that. I'm not saying my opinion should be the standard for everyone, just that both of those games are objectively lacking in their gameplay departments and it didn't seem to matter to most which speaks to the quality of the rest of the game.

Axelstream

Oct 27, 2017
These threads criticizing beloved games are frustrating on multiple levels. There are well-worn, but worthwhile discussions underlying this post. I'm seeing one about the degree to which story, characters, and writing can elevate a game despite weaknesses or repetition in gameplay. The OP even contains a separation of "gameplay" between combat and quest design, and an overall acknowledgment that they aren't sure how specifically TW3's quest design could be stronger -- yet another conversation we could be having. But we can't get those criticisms without excessive, crass hyperbole, or characterizing adoration of this game as a hivemind conspiracy in the very title of the thread. Why do this? If you're going to take the time to lay out your thoughts, why cannibalize it all with incendiary nonsense?

Then we get responses from folks who seem like they haven't read the OP, because they respond to "gameplay" as purely meaning combat when the OP parses out both combat and quest design. Or folks who are satisfied saying, "well, not everyone feels that way, so there." That's fine as a matter of fact, but nothing kills a conversation like a relativist statement. You have no obligation to respond thoughtfully to the OP given the way he opened up shop, but boy, I'd love for us to try anyway.

I would implore anyone who feels like making a thread like this, criticizing aspects of a popular game, to stop and think about your wording. You're not going to get validation, but you could get a good conversation going if you just start us off on the right foot. Be honest, be critical, but don't make it personal. There are so many ways you can express your frustration that don't involve four-letter words.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When I made my thread on the subject (as well as other problems I had with the game) my argument wasn't just "it's shit" and that's really disingenuous to assume that it was.

I had a quick scan through your LTTP thread and I have to say you had a much better reception than the OP of this thread, in part because you weren't hyperbolic. Sure, there are a few people that are like "Game is great, OP's wrong", but there seemed to be more people that were willing to back up their arguments, even if you disagreed with their conclusions.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of exaggerations here and it's kinda baffling. I don't think the combat is good, but at worst it's bland and average. For me the answer was to put it on easy difficulty and still enjoy the other aspects of the game which are excellent.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
The game is an RPG, not a character action game.
Game genres are messier than we like to pretend, and that gap in particular is shrinking every year from both directions, with games like Assassin's Creed Origins and Nier Automata. The Witcher 3's combat has more in common with the standard Arkham model of modern Western melee than it does with, well, The Witcher 1.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I had a quick scan through your LTTP thread and I have to say you had a much better reception than the OP of this thread, in part because you weren't hyperbolic. Sure, there are a few people that are like "Game is great, OP's wrong", but there seemed to be more people that were willing to back up their arguments, even if you disagreed with their conclusions.
Yet what does it say about him, that he is being hyperbolic about the reaction to his thread?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Gameplay is so shit that Ubisoft 'copy' it for the AC series...by the way, I don't think it's shit just bad executed.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yet what does it say about him, that he is being hyperbolic about the reaction to his thread?

I'm not sure? I'm not trying to make any assertions here, just pointing out that both threads had different kinds of responses, because they presented their arguments in different ways. Even if there was some common ground between some low effort responses, there are far more in this thread than the LTTP.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure? I'm not trying to make any assertions here, just pointing out that both threads had different kinds of responses, because they presented their arguments in different ways. Even if there was some common ground between some low effort responses, there are far more in this thread than the LTTP.
I'll make the assertion that the person you're responding to doesn't really understand what a reasonable discussion is. That his OP wasn't hyperbolic is mere happenstance.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The honeymoon gonna end soon .any minute now

giphy.gif

Any time now.

It really is amazing how Witcher 3 stayed relevant, despite being C-tier worst eurojank shit ever known to men of course. I feel like there are threads about this game every week or so going back even to the old site, something you don't really see with other games.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't get into it. Tried it on PS4 and there was either an immense amount of input lag or some terrible frame timing issues that made the game feel sluggish to play.

Aside from that, the gameplay I've seen doesn't really look fun to me. I'm also not a fan of the fantasy settin, which should be contributing to that a LOT.

I recognize and respect the praise it gets, but I just can't agree with it personally

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Any time now.

It really is amazing how Witcher 3 stayed relevant, despite being C-tier worst eurojank shit ever known to men of course. I feel like there are threads about this game every week or so going back even to the old site, something you don't really see with other games.
God damn Geralt and his bathtub always tricking people into playing Witcher 3, I tell ya

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't get into it. Tried it on PS4 and there was either an immense amount of input lag or some terrible frame timing issues that made the game feel sluggish to play.

Aside from that, the gameplay I've seen doesn't really look fun to me. I'm also not a fan of the fantasy settin, which should be contributing to that a LOT.

I recognize and respect the praise it gets, but I just can't agree with it personally
This is the level headed kind of comment I can get behind.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh look it's reseteras bi monthly let's hate the Witcher thread ;)

Nah I can understand that the combat can be janky but the story just blew me away.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017

Fair enough, I did create that thread at like 4am so my memory fails me. Though I do stand by what I said, at least SOME people can't accept any criticism of the game. Certainly not all.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

I'm at this point. I really don't like playing set characters either if I can help it so that didn't help. Like I can play skyrim and the like without batting an eye but witcher 3's story line great is something I can watch through youtube I never felt the push to complete it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
My hyperbole quota for the month has been maxed out by the OP. Talk about unreasonable. This forum is straight up toxic sometimes.

Hot tip: stop calling everything with mild to moderate flaws "shit." It's a trashy and repulsive way to express your discontent.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I never beat it, played 30 hours one run then dropped it and 20 hours another a year later. Both times I stopped because I also find the gameplay very bad. I have only dropped about 5 games in the last few years so take that what you will .

I rated it once on my scale and it got 7/10. The main story wasn't that great (Geralt is as interesting as a sack of rocks) the side quest are well written, fantastic world, that card game kept me coming back to play the game and good soundtrack.

That being said while I don't rate it as high as many on here I still think it was a valid game to buy and interested in CD Reds next game, for the Witcher 3 I just wish the thing you spend the most time doing didn't feel like the most polished aspect .

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Even if it got a pass during its so called honeymoon period around the launch, it still became the most awarded game of all time seven and a half months later. The movement and combat are the weakest parts of the game, but they're at the very least solid. When we compare the combat to other similar games like Skyrim and GTA V The Witcher 3 is still the best among its competitors.