• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Shit gameplay is just complete hyperbole. I can understand not liking it as much as other games, but come on. Especially the category of game that Witcher 3 is in, the gameplay is at the top of the heap. I mean look at games like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout and GTA. In my opinion Witcher 3 stands head and shoulders above those. It's not even a question. A lot of open world games and especially open world RPGs just aren't that great for gameplay.

But personally I loved Witcher 3's gameplay. I'd take it over Bloodborne any day of the week, but I suppose I'm the only one thinking that.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Shit gameplay is just complete hyperbole. I can understand not liking it as much as other games, but come on. Especially the category of game that Witcher 3 is in, the gameplay is at the top of the heap. I mean look at games like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout and GTA. In my opinion Witcher 3 stands head and shoulders above those. It's not even a question. A lot of open world games and especially open world RPGs just aren't that great for gameplay.

But personally I loved Witcher 3's gameplay. I'd take it over Bloodborne any day of the week, but I suppose I'm the only one thinking that.
Nah, I'm in that camp too. TW3 gives you tons of options with how to build Geralt and approach each encounter or quest.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I definitely agree OP.

As you point out, everything else is of such a high quality that it's really a shame the game plays as it does. Gerald controls in a very unsatisfying manner, being far too 'floaty' and 'light' in combat which takes any impact away from the moves and makes it pretty unsatisfying to fight enemies. The enemies don't respond to attacks convincingly and follow very repetitive patterns so it feels like you're just chipping away at a health bar (this is even worse when you try to kill higher ranked enemies). The lack of variety in how the enemies fight over such an expansive game really adds to the sense of repetitivity as you go further in the game. When you aren't in combat and are simply trying to navigate the environment it feels more like you're trying to drive a sixty tonne tank instead of controlling an actual person and it makes exploration feel frustrating and unsatisfying.

There are some nonsensical design decisions pertaining to the gameplay too. The single cool down timer on using signs is one of the biggest offenders for me. It dissuades the player from venturing from the 'simplest' path, as tying sign use to a single cool down timer actively discourages the player from using a variety of signs or combining them because Quen is of such utility (particularly on a higher difficulty) that it's rare you're better off using something else. You so quickly break the game's balance in levelling up the sword or alchemy paths (whirl just slaughters people, and alchemy just outright makes you unkillable) that it trivialises the combat and makes it seem pointless because you can just mash the attack button without any reason to go with less efficient routes (because why vary things when the alternatives aren't fun, are less useful, and just drag out the combat further). The quests actively expose flaws in the gameplay by making you engage in the outright dreadful fist fights and horse races multiple times over the course of the game. The quest design as you've noted quickly feels repetitive through the over-reliance on Witcher Sense which is not an engaging mechanic and just forces you to run down a path. The Skellige section serves only to emphasise how poor the crossbow is in the game and how slow traversal by sea is should you choose to try and clear the map; there's nothing fun or challenging about having to swim for fifteen minutes to land, slowly move a boat to a question mark, and shoot harpies with the game's shooting mechanics so why place such an emphasis on this?

Exploration is actively discouraged because if you do too many side quests or clear the map of question marks you end up over-levelled to the degree that, because of how EXP is awarded, you (ironically) come out of the game under-levelled as you're awarded less EXP overall. For being as big as the map is, it's filled with copy-paste level things to do (the aforementioned Skellige treasure chests, or the ridiculous amount of bandit camps, abandoned settlements, and monster nests) and very rarely are you actually rewarded with something interesting (especially given how frustrating Geralt is to control).

Gwent is very well-designed (even if towards the end of that quest line you can destroy people with ease) and is the first mini-game out of the second and third game which I've actually enjoyed, but aside from that there was very little in the gameplay which I enjoyed.

It's frustrating, because if the game just 'jumped' between NPC interactions, big moments in quests, and cutscenes, totally skipping any moment where you have control of Geralt aside from choosing dialogue responses, my opinion of the game would be a lot higher, but I felt it played so poorly (and there is so much time spent where you're actually controlling Geralt) that it left me overall really disliking the game in spite of how much it does fantastically well (simply because actually playing it feels like I'm going to work and doing a chore for eight hours until I'm finally rewarded with something interesting at the end of the day). I just couldn't recommend it to somebody when so much of it was so subpar to me.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

Yeah its mostly a resetera specific fad. Witcher 3 has among the highest user rating totals on both steam and metacritic, winning awards left and right, and reviewed fantastically. Basically none of the reviewers mentioned the gameplay/combat in a negative light, so the narrative you see in this thread is especially bewildering. Coupled with the fact that the criticisms are often reductive, unspecific and often boil down to vague statements such as "clunky/unresponsive" when pressed, and it becomes really hard to take the hyperbole seriously. It honestly seems like it has become a self fufilling prophecy at this point.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah its mostly a resetera specific fad. Witcher 3 has among the highest user rating totals on both steam and metacritic, winning awards left and right, and reviewed fantastically. Basically none of the reviewers mentioned the gameplay/combat in a negative light, so the narrative you see in this thread is especially bewildering. Coupled with the fact that the criticisms are often reductive, unspecific and often boil down to vague statements such as "clunky/unresponsive" when pressed, and it becomes really hard to take the hyperbole seriously. It honestly seems like it has become a self fufilling prophecy at this point.

I don't even think it's a big fad here. It was #3 on ERA's essential RPGs list. It's clearly well regarded by the majority.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP, I've tried to get into W3 and the rest of the series on multiple occasions. Just doesn't click with me in the gameplay department.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can't say I agree, OP. Finished the game on the highest difficulty, and had a pretty great time with it, going so far as finishing it twice and getting the platinum. It's not the absolute best gameplay out there, meaning, it's not Bloodborne level obviously. But that's to be expected if you have realistic expectations. And aside from that, it's completely serviceable at worst, and pretty badass at best.

This has become a hallmark of most if not all LTTP's. It's why I've started simply ignoring them.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Basically none of the reviewers mentioned the gameplay/combat in a negative light, so the narrative you see in this thread is especially bewildering.

I went and skimmed some of the 90+ score reviews on Metacritic.

Nick Diamon of Quarter to Three in a 5 star review said:
It's not quite Arkham Asylum and it's not Dark Souls. It occupies a lower tier that gives leeway for screwing up, rewards agility, and still has some jank. It's serviceable at lower levels, but once you start investing enough points in Geralt's skill trees to unlock some synergies, combat becomes almost rote.

If not for the early game struggle, one might think CD Projekt RED made combat unbalanced on purpose. After all, you're a Witcher. Passers-by comment on your reputation for martial prowess all the time. You're supposed to cut through monsters like a hot knife through butter. That would make sense except for the beginning hours in which Geralt is laid low by a mud-drinking Drowner or random bandit #247. Later, there's almost no challenge in combat. You're The Mountain That Rides versus a starving prisoner.

Much of it isn't even tuned that well. Loot seems ridiculously out of scale. You'll go a half-a-dozen levels with the same weapon because the modifiers are too good to pass up, then you'll be running through multiple swords in one level for the incremental bonuses. At one point, a quest reward included a sword that the giver proudly said was a powerful relic of his family, but the stats were about three levels below Geralt's current kit.
Dustin Chadwell of Gaming Age in an A- review said:
I'm also not sold on Geralt's sort of herky jerky movement, something that stands out as an issue with both controller and keyboard/mouse set-ups. Geralt goes from walk to run and back to walk again when attempting to move around corners or enter doorways, which leads to this weird, unwieldy feeling in the controls that's really hard to shake, even after a few dozen hours have passed. I'm somewhat accustomed to it now, at least to the point that I don't tense up every time I get close to an edge or precipice. But I can't ignore that movement feels off, and not nearly as fluid as it should be considering how much polish the rest of the game has received.
David Piner of Ten Ton Hammer in a 9/10 review said:
Geralt drives like a Sherman tank and he won't, for any reason, turn around without wanting to either jump off a cliff to his death or circle around a flower bush like a plane waiting for the runway to be deiced in order to land. The controls involved with his movement aren't different than most of the ones used for a plethora of games, like Batman's Arkham series, but he requires finesse to move to specific objectives that are very small and require precession, which Geralt can't for any reason control. Attempting to get on ladders, pickup items, grab flowers, or any other task results in frustration at times as he just will not for ANY reason decide to get in the proper position.
Emily Speight of Attack of the Fanboy in a 4 1/2 star review said:
As Geralt slashes, pirouettes and leaps through skirmishes, I can't help but think of Xena, beloved in part for its occasionally slapstick choreography. Geralt himself gets in on a little of the slapstick, though unintentionally. The best way to describe how he moves is that he is a vehicle, and one that lacks power steering. Turning him in a confined space is a nightmare. Geralt's also capable of running and jumping, but his jumps are in need of refinement. Currently, pressing jump has Geralt finding the quickest way to haul himself hurtling in the opposite direction to where you needed him to go.

MrPablington

Oct 27, 2017
Omg the timing of this thread. I've started the Witcher and my initial feelings are not that great.

Controls on the PS4 feel like they were mapped by someone who never played an open world game on the console.

I've told my friends that I'll give the game in spite of the garbage controls and average gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to Witcher 1 and 2's gameplay, Witcher 3's gameplay is masterclass.

I've certainly played games that had better gameplay, but Witcher 3's gameplay is just fine.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I went and skimmed some of the 90+ score reviews on Metacritic.
Of the hundreds of reviews you can find online, obviously you will find a handful that will say something negative, and even with that in mind, two of those you mention didnt specifically adress combat as a whole, but specific parts of contextual movement , so even the cherry picked content you chose to a large part doesnt adress my point. As a whole, the reception was overwhelmingly positive on most of the elements of the game, including combat.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
After the tutorial and the first hour or so, I turned the difficulty of The Witcher 2 down to the easiest so that I could just rush my way through the combat without bothering about magic and other stuff. I think that this game, despite some interesting characters and what not, would have been mostly ignored if it didn't have good graphics like it happened to the first one. I decided not to play the third game.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Witcher 3 has it's issues, and frankly I can understand why people dislike it. Me personally I enjoyed it largely because I enjoyed the systems that surrounded combat. having to plan ahead for battles, and use oils, signs effectively was quite fun.

It's far from perfect but it was good enough that it didn't ruin my experience with the game unlike with Skyrim.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Of the hundreds of reviews you can find online, obviously you will find a handful that will say something negative, and even with that in mind, two of those you mention didnt specifically adress combat as a whole, but specific parts of contextual movement , so even the cherry picked content you chose to a large part doesnt adress my point. As a whole, the reception was overwhelmingly positive on most of the elements of the game, including combat.
I didn't read hundreds of reviews, I skimmed 10 or so very positive reviews to make the point that even many reviewers who enjoyed the game had issues with its combat and controls. You made a specific factual claim that just isn't true.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrims melee combat is terrible, but at least your character actually feels decent to control, and you can have some decent fun with magic and archery.

There is nothing pleasant about W3's combat.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This Gaf/era meme shit needs to stop. The gameplay is fine, the combat is better than elder scrolls/fallout.
I personally preferred Fallout's gameplay more than Witcher 3, and do think the mechanics in Witcher 3 did break the immersion for me in multiple points, especially in dungeon-like sections of the game. That's fine if you don't agree, but please don't act that like we don't find fault with it by dismissing it as a meme.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I personally preferred Fallout's gameplay more than Witcher 3, and do think the mechanics in Witcher 3 did break the immersion for me in multiple points, especially in dungeon-like sections of the game. That's fine if you don't agree, but please don't act that like we don't find fault with it by dismissing it as a meme.
When it's been posted over and over again on these forums, I view it as a meme, just like $30 Italian meal.
Meme:

1. an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means

Deleted member 36186

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Agree with OP. What you actually do on a moment to moment and how that feels during non-dialogue sequences absolutely sucks. Great writing though.

This is a game for those that want story above all and are willing to endure mind numbing gameplay for it.

Gave up on it during the "find dandelion" questline. Not even the dialogue could save this part of the game for me.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
When it's been posted over and over again on these forums, I view it as a meme, just like $30 Italian meal.
Meme:

1. an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means
Which you in turn say that people who swear that Witcher 3 is the best game this generation or best RPG of all time as memes? I don't hear Witcher 3 being talk about all that much outside of GAF and maybe a few subreddits.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only complaint I have about the battle system is that CDPR didn't flesh out the magic system more. I wanted to play Geralt as a walking nuke. Other then that the battle system is ok. Nothing special just ok in my opinion.

Majorgamer10

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I would agree combat is shit IF the potions system wasn't the main driver behind it. You can spend 3 hours swinging and using Quen on a Golem OR you can use potions for increased critical damage and scaling attack power as the battle goes on. Also there is a Bestiary that is extremely helpful in making battles easier, smoother, and much more fun. Your literally not playing the game the right way, and I think that's your real criticism, is the game won't let you play the way you want to.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the crossbow on boat or in water alone means that the gameplay can't be considered good. even the developers clearly realized it's utter shit so your typically useless crossbow suddenly insta-kills everything in water. can't believe they didn't just choose to remove 90% of the question marks around skellige.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Which you in turn say that people who swear that Witcher 3 is the best game this generation or best RPG of all time as memes? I don't hear Witcher 3 being talk about all that much outside of GAF and maybe a few subreddits.
The funny thing about this meme nonsense is that the endless overblown Witcher praise really is a full-blown meme in some corners of the internet.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I mean, except Dark Souls is constantly engaging and rarely repetitive and a hell of a lot more nuanced.

Witcher 3's combat isn't good but I wouldn't call it shit either. It's serviceable.
So the word is not repetitive. It's monotone

which is of course still arguable. I myself like the gameplay, sometimes clunky i admit but it doesnt retract me from liking it

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree combat is shit IF the potions system wasn't the main driver behind it. You can spend 3 hours swinging and using Quen on a Golem OR you can use potions for increased critical damage and scaling attack power as the battle goes on. Also there is a Bestiary that is extremely helpful in making battles easier, smoother, and much more fun. Your literally not playing the game the right way, and I think that's your real criticism, is the game won't let you play the way you want to.
I don't really feel this addresses the issues behind the combat at all; using alchemy adds to the combat being a slog because of how ridiculously unbalanced it is. Alchemy near the end point trivialises the combat to the degree that you wonder why you're even forced to deal with combat since you can chug potions and dedoctions and mash buttons on the highest difficulty mindlessly because you can tank hits.

At a low level, the blade oils are totally insignificant as 10%/25% of damage (when you only have a very limited number of uses, so need to continuously go in and out of the menu to reapply it when playing on Death March to get through even a single enemy) is really not enough to off-set how much you need to go into the menu. The dedoctions can be significant (particularly Archgriffin, which you won't get until very late in the game) but this comes into play more when you've an alchemy build in which case you don't need the minor 5% additional critical hit chance of the Katakan dedoction because you're a walking tank with a near limitless health pool. To try and say you'd spend 'three hours' using swords and using Quen but suddenly you'd be going through that same enemy in minutes is vastly overstating how much additional damage is done and how extensive the bestiary is in the game.

The core of the combat boils down to the sword play, which the OP feels to be sluggish and not very satisfying. Using alchemy most certainly is not going to improve this feeling for the OP, nor is trying to state that it's 'playing the game the wrong way' to focus on using signs and swords (literally two out of three paths available). Particularly at the lower levels a sign and sword build is one of the more encouraged ways to go through the game on Death March, because Alchemy doesn't really pay off until after about level 18 when you've the skill points and materials needed to unlock some of the more absurd abilities and push yourself into a situation where you can completely steam-roll anything.

Last edited:

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 offers a heap of ways to approach fights. There is plenty of depth there. Plenty of different builds. Many of the complaints against the game are vastly overblown, as though some gamers feel the need to violently stand against something that is near universally praised. The combat is mildly clunky at best and damn satisfying when you start to correctly use potions and sidesteps.

Does W3 have the best game play in the genre? No. But to listen to some posters you'd think that the developers pasted a Oscar-winning narrative onto Superman 64 and called it a day.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the Ugly Baby (returning to Kaer Morhen questline in Witcher 3 after 80 hours completing side-quests, doing the main story and struggling with the cycle of abuse foisted upon me by this game. For 80 hours I was dragged through my eyes and ears. This is a beautiful looking and gorgeous sounding production. The game is a treasure trove of interesting characters with genuine depth and even some of the most throw-away side quests serve to engross you in the world. I remember stumbling across some ruins and finding a monster that was tricking a group of people into thinking he was a god of some kind but really he was just a gluttonous troublemaker. The quest maybe took all of 10 minutes but is a prime example of why I hung on for as long as I did.

I can't take away the praise the game gets on these fronts. It deserves ALL the accolades it's gotten for it's story, world, characters, music, writing. All of it.

But it's complete shit on the gameplay front. Even on the hardest difficulty, the combat becomes trivial as you level up and exploit quen and use the gourmet. One could avoid breaking the game in this way but then the combat just becomes tedious and frustrating. Dodge, get a couple hits in, dodge, repeat ad infinitum. The combat is widely acknowledged to be the weakest part of the game but I think there's a much weaker component and that's the over-reliance on detective err... witcher senses.

I know it isn't an original criticism, but Jesus Fucking Christ the actual GAMEPLAY part of the quests is atrocious. I'm trying to think of a single quest that didn't involve having to follow a hard to see trail by holding down a button and stop every few steps to investigate a clue. I'm sure they're here but after 80 hours I can't remember any. And it's the reason I'm dropping playing the game and why I'm just going to watch the rest of it on YouTube.

It's hard to hold it against the game though. The nature of the dialog and story-driven quests make it difficult for me to think of another way they could have done them. Things like the Shrine Quests found in Breath of the Wild are fun but they aren't good vehicles for delivering narrative. It's hard to say how The Witcher 3 could improve because there's not much to compare it to. There's nothing else out there this ambitious. It's probably a failing on my part but I can't see The Witcher 3 improving on this aspect of its design without sacrificing a part of what makes it so special.

So yeah. I want to go on. I want to see it through to the end (and beyond). But I just don't see the gameplay improving. I think it's just going to keep getting better from a narrative sense but I'll be following footprints and scent trails up until the ending credits. So I guess I'll implore you, any recommendations for good Let's Play or story vids so I can enjoy the best parts of the game without having to suffer through another Witcher sense session?
OP, i used to be like you. i used to be the biggest witcher 3 hater on gaf.

But then i decided to give it another shot and focused on enjoying combat and making myself stronger. I ended up loving how various different armors enhanced my DPS, how oils and potions complemented by build and how upgrading weapons and finding new swords made me stronger and better. I have no idea how you have gone 80 hours without dabbling in mage abilities or unlocking some really great and fun combat skills like whirlwind and Rend. i spent hours researching how to maximize my DPS, how to weaken enemies and dispatch them faster and with style.

It's more fun than Skyrim's combat, and while it's not as thrilling and refined as bloodborne or souls games, the number of moves available are definitely more than souls games. i had a lot of fun experimenting with different builds and settled on a whirlwind and igni build with dismemberment which cut and melted them in pieces.

The best thing about it all was how the game rewarded you for exploring by giving you more powerful gems, potions, swords and armor. i used to google and go on adventures just to get a better sword or armor that gave me better perks. compared to Zelda botw which gave players the shittiest fucking rewards for doing shrines, it was a breath of fresh air.

your biggest mistake is doing side quests instead of story quests. some of the bigger side quests and especially the story quests dont have you follow the witcher sense. you just go and kill stuff while some story events happen.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Which is literally every quest in every game ever, except sometimes you follow a floating icon on your map.
No. Not all quests in games are just following a marker/breadcrumbs trail to a X spot for a scene.

Give me an example of a quest that's not "talk to NPC, go to location,get item/fight/talk, end quest"
Depends on how you define "quest". Is, say, the Pilgrims of Dark covenant quest in Dark Souls 2 something we can define as a "quest" even if it has no journal entry or marker? I'd say so, and I'd count that as more than just, "talk to NPC -> follow markers to place -> do a thing -> end quest", it's far more than that.

Also, Fallout New Vegas (Beyond the Beef, Come Fly With Me, etc.). Bloodborne (Eileen side-quest, the umbilical cords side-quest, + all the optional/secret areas are arguably "side-quests"). Deus Ex and Dishonored games also have a few cool and/or interesting side-quests that go beyond the simple formula. Sometimes it's about the writing being good enough to support what is a simple quest gameplay wise, but sometimes it's in the gameplay itself.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Totally feel the same way as the title implies. Witcher 3 is the biggest example of story and graphics over gameplay getting massive awards. It's a great game but something with gameplay that poor should never be mentioned as an all time great game. It's the moment I realized people don't care about gameplay like they used to.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Totally feel the same way as the title implies. Witcher 3 is the biggest example of story and graphics over gameplay getting massive awards. It's a great game but something with gameplay that poor should never be mentioned as an all time great game. It's the moment I realized people don't care about gameplay like they used to.

Compared to what though? Compared to Bethesda or even Rockstar's open world games Witcher 3 feels fucking brilliant. GTA 4 has hands down some of the worst shooting in any game and 5 was only marginally better. Fallout 3 was janky as hell and, again, 4 was only marginally better mechanically. Oblivion was crap for gameplay.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Compared to what though? Compared to Bethesda or even Rockstar's open world games Witcher 3 feels fucking brilliant. GTA 4 has hands down some of the worst shooting in any game and 5 was only marginally better. Fallout 3 was janky as hell and, again, 4 was only marginally better mechanically. Oblivion was crap for gameplay.

Disagree completely. All those games allow for actual emergent gameplay, the game has a world that you can mess with, manipulate and play as you want. Everything in Witcher 3 follows extremely strict rules. Every big enemy stays in a small arena where you have to fight it. You can't lure big enemies out of their programmed space and have them interact with other enemies. Every thing in witcher is go here, do that, no freedom. Unless you think picking between dialogue choices in a menu as gameplay freedom.

Plus skyrim, oblivion allows for so much variety in combat. You can be full made, you can be a thief, you can use stealth, you can be a brute, you can combine all of them. I had epic battles in skyrim where I battled a giant at the top of a mountain, fought it for like 10 minutes as I tumbled down the mountain, into a giant camp, run from like 3 of them, run into some bears have the Giants fight bears; it's organic, it allows me to invent crazy strategies, it's freedom in gameplay.

And don't even compare to GTA any one car chase in GTA is way more compelling than any fight in witcher.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
There are some nonsensical design decisions pertaining to the gameplay too. The single cool down timer on using signs is one of the biggest offenders for me. It dissuades the player from venturing from the 'simplest' path, as tying sign use to a single cool down timer actively discourages the player from using a variety of signs or combining them because Quen is of such utility (particularly on a higher difficulty) that it's rare you're better off using something else. You so quickly break the game's balance in levelling up the sword or alchemy paths (whirl just slaughters people, and alchemy just outright makes you unkillable) that it trivialises the combat and makes it seem pointless because you can just mash the attack button without any reason to go with less efficient routes (because why vary things when the alternatives aren't fun, are less useful, and just drag out the combat further).

This is so wrong but is also what I see come up the most. I think that it's a particular problem for the Witcher 3 because it's a game that allows you to play poorly and yet, through attrition of dodging and getting those 1-2 hits in, still eventually succeed, unlike other games where you have particular gimmick enemies that just can't be defeated at all unless you use specific abilities. Quen is actually the worst sign to use against the large majority of enemies because it doesn't (normally) do any damage, doesn't interrupt enemies, doesn't crowd control, doesn't give you instant kills, and (on higher difficulties) doesn't last that long, often only absorbing 1-2 hits. What it does is give you is a very brief opening to get a couple of swings (or whirl) in before it goes down and you have to go back to dodging until you can use Quen again. Igni and Aard are almost always better to use because these DO interrupt a wide arc of enemies and DO crowd control by lighting them on fire or knocking them down which leaves them open to your attacks or instant kill finishers. You say that Whirl just slaughters everything. How does Whirl do against human opponents? They typically block the large majority of it and, eventually, a couple of swings get through. It takes so long and is frustrating to be constantly blocked. Whirl also uses your stamina which means that you aren't able to Quen right away which also means that, if you're still facing multiple opponents, you might not be able to safely Whirl again for awhile. Instead of just brainlessly Whirling up against blocks or waiting for stamina, you could have just blown them all up with grapeshot bombs or knocked them all down with Aard and finished at least 2 of them instantly. Keep hitting them with Aard or Igni to knock their guard down which makes them open to attacks. Hitting fire-susceptible enemies with Igni or Dancing Star bombs lights them on fire which crowd controls them and makes them open to your attacks since they can't block or gang up on you, simultaneously eliminating any need for Quen (since no one can attack you), does damage, and gives you openings for your sword strikes. Combine that with Tawny Owl potion and your "single cool down" goes down to ~3-4 seconds which leads to a nice rhythm of sign, 2-3 swings, maybe a dodge to reposition, sign, and repeat, throw bombs as needed.

Bombs are another thing that a lot of people completely underestimate. You think Whirl is good with Quen? Try Whirl after you blind everyone with Samum or freeze them all with Northern Winds which locks everyone down for 4+ seconds. Not only do you remove everyone's guard, but you prevent them from ganging up on you and interrupting your Whirl. As the bestiary highlights, Quen is mostly for large enemies that cannot be crowd controlled and have slow, high damage attacks where you just need to bypass their one swing to get your multitude of strikes in before you roll out, Quen up, and attack again. The fact that you CAN kill pretty much everything by using Quen, dodging, Whirling, and having patience doesn't mean that it's the most effective way of doing so.

I will concede, however, that by end game when you've got lots of skill points and witcher gear and out level pretty much everything, the combat does become pretty trivial... which is pretty much standard for any RPG ever.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
AgitatedDefinitiveAustraliansilkyterrier.gif

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
In my limited playtime with the game, I do not understand what "sucks" about TW3's combat system. It's basic and functional, not nearly as in-depth as a Souls game, but it doesn't need to be.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Witcher 3's combat is nowhere near as big of a problem as the whole section of the game where you have to track down Dandelion. That part drags on for way longer than it should, then just keeps going.

Still a phenomenal game though.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest problem is how repetitive the combat is.
The game has a big enemy variety, but you fight all those moster the same way. aside from a couple of animations being different.
And I played the game for like 80 hours, but the only good gameplay moment I can remember is chasing the Gryphon. All of the other good memories are just conversations/videos.

In my limited playtime with the game, I do not understand what "sucks" about TW3's combat system. It's basic and functional, not nearly as in-depth as a Souls game, but it doesn't need to be.

Well, thats the problem, you sepnd probably like 20-30% of the game in combat. thats like 20 hours of "basic but functional combat", when it feels like its a filler.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Super Mario Brothers: What if everyone got together and have a game a pass for having clouds and bushes be the same sprite"