• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
So I've played through this game multiple times over the years in 4K on an OLED yadi ya da ya da . But the utter shock of holding it in my hands on a portable can't be overstated. I literally just sat in a bar playing the Witcher while drinking a beer and it's still mind blowing to me. Fantastic port. I will never play it docked and wish cross save was an option but I play my switch 99% of the time handheld so this is revolutionary to me. Excited to see what else can be ported to the switch in the future and excited that I can take my favorite game on the go. Just super impressed

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The whole "pop-in problems" like in Dragon's Dogma on Switch also persist here, but not as bad just due to the amount of vegitation present (which is arguably a lot more than DD's). Don't forget the incredible lighting that's present in this game as well: Sunrise and sunsets still look great!

I'd say the pop-in issue was much less pronounced in the Witcher 3. I remember being constantly distracted by town's people and buildings poping in and out right in front of me in DD, not so much in this game though.

I have actually completed the game + all the DLCs on my PC (with all the graphic/lighting mods) and always wanted to do a 2nd play through but lack the commitment; with the Switch version it's a no brainer. It's amazing that they cramp it all in on a handheld.

My 10hrs business flight is on tomorrow, it's going to be glorious lol.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the pop-in issue was much less pronounced in the Witcher 3. I remember being constantly distracted by town's people and buildings poping in and out right in front of me in DD, not so much in this game though.

I have actually completed the game + all the DLCs on my PC (with all the graphic/lighting mods) and always wanted to do a 2nd play through but lack the commitment; with the Switch version it's a no brainer. It's amazing that they cramp it all in on a handheld.

My 10hrs business flight is on tomorrow, it's going to be glorious lol.
Be sure to bring a battery pack and charger!
So I've played through this game multiple times over the years in 4K on an OLED yadi ya da ya da . But the utter shock of holding it in my hands on a portable can't be overstated. I literally just sat in a bar playing the Witcher while drinking a beer and it's still mind blowing to me. Fantastic port. I will never play it docked and wish cross save was an option but I play my switch 99% of the time handheld so this is revolutionary to me. Excited to see what else can be ported to the switch in the future and excited that I can take my favorite game on the go. Just super impressed

I added an addendum about my overall impressions of the game itself:

• Geraldt is actually quite funny and easy going, in contrast to the whole edgelord "God Of War" persona they instill him in the marketing materials.
  • This game does not know what i-frames are, nor does it seem to want to know them. As far as I'm concerned, this is more "pen-and-paper"/"roll-the-dice" tabletop RPG when it comes to your rolls and dodges actually counting, so playing safe with footsies and pokes (or just "playing cheap" and taking advantage of enemy AI range) is actually more effective.
  • Even small, inconsequential side missions are great, and can sometimes lead to bigger quests.
  • Stocking up on food is essential...until you unlock Sun and Rain perk. Though what I didn't realize is that you need to be in contact with actual sunlight/rain for the perk to actually work.
  • There are many times I've save-scummed just to see how an outcome might have gone if I answered differently, often with drastic results. But rarely does it feel like you've made the "wrong" choice.
  • Money is hard to come by and I wish they had explained how to sell to merchants (or maybe I accidentally skipped the tutorial..oopsies) sooner as to not always be broke and overburdened with old weapons.
  • Is it right for me to call this "Medival Mass Effect"?
Come to think of it, perhaps what stopped me from enjoying it on PC was my "perfectionist" mentality of trying to pursue the absolute best results, whether it comes to graphics and playthrough ("Save scumm till you get the absolute perfect result you wanted!"). But with the Switch version, I can just relax and let my decisions take me wherever the game leads me.
Overall, what keeps me coming back to this game is just stumbling into new quests. I guess the whole idea of disabling points-of-interest in the settings really works wonders, because having no clue just how much there is to discover really changes your perspective of a game.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
It's remarkable. So happy this is an actual thing.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I was able to spend a few hours now with the Switch version and connected to my 75" Samsung 4k TV playing docked the game looks really shitty. I knew going in that it would look bad, but not this blurry. It is really bad and perhaps is even worse due to size of my TV. Some of the cut scenes like when you are interacting with a vendor it looks pretty good and I was impressed, but when you are walking around in the world, especially with a lot of tree and foilage it really breaks apart and looks really bad. This is beyond Vaseline on the screen.

With that said, it plays good and I still had fun with it. I did switch to portable for a bit and it does look a lot better on a smaller screen. The game in docked mode is serviceable and as mentioned it still plays great and it is still Witcher 3. Some areas do look better and not as blurry but when your first are approaching Wild Orchard it is really horrible looking. Thing is, even as bad as it looks on my set in docked mode, I was still enjoying the game and for those that only have a Switch, it still a great game albeit in docked on a larger screen it looks like something from 2 generations ago. I have plenty of 360 games that look so much better than this with less aliasing and blurriness.

I loaded up the game on my Xbox One X in 4k resolution mode and holy shit the difference. With that said, I am not posting this to shit on the game. I know there are those that are shitting on it, but you have to keep in mind that this is a portable system with a bit more clock in docked mode...the fact that they were able to get the game to run at all is pretty damn amazing and the story, characters, quest and the size of the world still is there, just a bit blurry and jaggie but it is still Witcher 3. Yes, it is the worse looking version of the game when it comes to resolution, but it still a fun game and if you only have a Switch it is well worth it. I bought it because there are times where I can play it portable even though 90% of my Switch gaming is docked. Just having such a big game on the go is amazing in itself. However, I do hope they unlock (patch) the ability to adjust some settings like those shown in the videos or additional settings. Turning off AA and using sharpening to me would make it look better in docked mode and there are video's that show how much better it can be.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I knew this game on the Switch was going to be downgraded, but I still wasn't prepared for it. This game is BLURRY. Holy shit. I actually get a headache while playing this. I'm not even playing on a big TV, I'm docked to a 24 inch BenQ gaming monitor.

I really wish they gave everyone the option to sharpen the image like the modded Switch's can do.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty blurry, even on the small screen. I was thinking it would be bad, but not quite THAT bad

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Love playing handheld. And the graphics don't bother me too much while docked, but is anyone having problems with the joystick controls on the Pro Controller? Seems hard to get in the right spot to loot. Is anyone using that SN30 Pro Plus? Was wondering if that could improve the experience.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
yea it looks terrible. I was expecting more of DOOM blur but this looks so bad. Returning it.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I think this game looks great in handheld mode. I also own it on my One X, but it is incredible what they have done. Definitely buy another version if you are going to play on a TV but this is great for anyone that wants a portable Witcher.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
How there is this much pikachushocked.jpeg going on about graphics of the port? People shocked by blurriness didn't look at footage, read rviews and/or read user impressions?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Loving this game even in handheld.

72709856-10162846049115157-7292920701298671616-o.jpg

72718917-10162846049185157-8030684654119944192-o.jpg

72961814-10162846049135157-1467847112547893248-o.jpg

73005501-10162846049105157-6042533177426182144-o.jpg

73324124-10162846055155157-5263255754348953600-o.jpg

72553383-10162846055165157-8227831018875256832-o.jpg

72452423-10162846055180157-2569881406545068032-o.jpg

Can't wait to play docked this weekend!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How there is this much pikachushocked.jpeg going on about graphics of the port? People shocked by blurriness didn't look at footage, read rviews and/or read user impressions?

To be fair there are some people with the usual "it looks amazing" impressions which happens a bit with heavily downgraded Switch ports. I've seen a lot in Reddit especially saying the game looks incredible on handheld when really that's a gross exaggeration for anyone that cares about IQ. Also a fair few screenshots are of cutscenes which look way better than actual open world gameplay.

The game is ugly but it's still literally TW3 on Switch which is the point of it. There is a diffence between being impressive and actually looking great though, people just need to keep in mind that the end of the day it's still very blurry.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Man, I'm loving this game and the visuals are just stunning to me. But I just have the feeling that I'm not "getting" something.
Right now I'm doing the Quest "Wandering in the Dark" and I'm level 4. Just beat the Golem and have now read what's still ahead of me. I will probably die like 9.000 times.
I put on all the best gear I have ( I chose the ones with the highest green numbers in my inventory, is that the correct way?), equipped all the skill points (most on combat, some on signs).
Do you guys think I will stand a chance in the rest of this dungeon? I am like a quarter to level 5…

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I'm loving this game and the visuals are just stunning to me. But I just have the feeling that I'm not "getting" something.
Right now I'm doing the Quest "Wandering in the Dark" and I'm level 4. Just beat the Golem and have now read what's still ahead of me. I will probably die like 9.000 times.
I put on all the best gear I have ( I chose the ones with the highest green numbers in my inventory, is that the correct way?), equipped all the skill points (most on combat, some on signs).
Do you guys think I will stand a chance in the rest of this dungeon? I am like a quarter to level 5…

What level does the actual quest recommend? You should be alright with the boss fight if you use Quen and Igni. Remember to use side step instead of dodge roll because the latter drains your stamina. You can also rest just before the fight to replenish your pots.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It recommends level 6... all the other quest I have open are WAY higher and impossible for me right now.

Worst case scenario is backtracking and levelling up in the open world. That particular quest can be done later actually and I'm pretty sure there are some main quests that give you heaps of XP without ant actual combat in them.

Anyone else get the bug where Roach's tail disappears?

I never did but there's a mod on PC that fixes it so I guess you might be screwed on console.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Worst case scenario is backtracking and levelling up in the open world. That particular quest can be done later actually and I'm pretty sure there are some main quests that give you heaps of XP without ant actual combat in them.
Yea, you're right. I'll try my best and if I fail, I'll fight some wolves, until I'm leveled up enough ;-)
Is there any kind of escape rope to get out of the dungeons qickly?

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
that's a gross exaggeration for anyone that cares about IQ. Also a fair few screenshots are of cutscenes which look way better than actual open world gameplay.

Most of the comment regarding the game looking amazing was made specifically within the context of the Switch being a handheld with a mobile chip and that the Witcher 3 is such a big game. The game was thought by most to be impossible, people expected the type of graphics to be potato mode by the Lowspec gamer video but it turned out much better; but then the goal post seems to be moving constantly so whatever.

There is absolutely no need to resort to personal insult.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Where was the personal insult in their post?
To be fair there are some people with the usual "it looks amazing" impressions which happens a bit with heavily downgraded Switch ports. I've seen a lot in Reddit especially saying the game looks incredible on handheld when really that's a gross exaggeration for anyone that cares about IQ. Also a fair few screenshots are of cutscenes which look way better than actual open world gameplay.

The game is ugly but it's still literally TW3 on Switch which is the point of it. There is a diffence between being impressive and actually looking great though, people just need to keep in mind that the end of the day it's still very blurry.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You say the game is ugly but IQ is not everything. I prefer a soft IQ to no AA so I think the game looks stunning (only tried undocked). The world is lush and full of life and there's just so much that is great about it visually. In my opinion, it's the best looking game on Switch. All the games on it that are sharper are a lot less complex and detailed. It matters more to me than IQ and I think that goes for a lot of people.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I played it on pc with high gfx and i played it on my handheld device. I don't feel the differents. You only notice it when you compare it again, but it's fine as it is.
I was asking where the personal insult was in that users post, nothing about the graphics of the port.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You say the game is ugly but IQ is not everything. I prefer a soft IQ to no AA so I think the game looks stunning (only tried undocked). The world is lush and full of life and there's just so much that is great about it visually. In my opinion, it's the best looking game on Switch. All the games on it that are sharper are a lot less complex and detailed. It matters more to me than IQ and I think that goes for a lot of people.

So much this! The game is so densely packed with detail. I don't understand how anyone could complain about the visual quality in handheld mode. It is stunning and an astonishing achievement for the Switch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Most of the comment regarding the game looking amazing was made specifically within the context of the Switch being a handheld with a mobile chip and that the Witcher 3 is such a big game. The game was thought by most to be impossible, people expected the type of graphics to be potato mode by the Lowspec gamer video but it turned out much better; but then the goal post seems to be moving constantly so whatever.

That's exactly my point. There's a difference between being an impressive technical achievement and actually looking amazing. It's easy to miss or forget about the context of it being a "Switch port" when a lot of comments are just saying it looks amazing and nothing else. The scale and nature of the game is impressive but if you just straight look at what's on screen it's not surprising at all people would say it's too blurry. I can't see any other reason why people would read impressions and then be shocked about how blurry it is whe resolution it's running at.

I don't agree but fair enough, it's all preference and what your prioritise in visuals. To me the IQ and LoD is gimped way too much and nowhere near the best looking game if you're straight talking about visuals. I'd rather look at a game that was originally designed to run on the hardware or is in the ballpark of the specs compared to something that was brute forced onto a system it was never meant to be on. Now BOTW in handheld is something that looks impressive as hell for me. Even something like DQ 11 looks better to me because of the nature of the game and the art style. Obviously TW3 is far more technically impressive but the art style is crying for high detail and long draw distances.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So I got a weird sound bug.
I couldn't hear any of the voices in the intro and sometimes ingame. They are not missing but extremely low in volume.

It has nothing to do with 5.1 vs stereo (i think) because its still the same when I mute my amp and play only via TV speakers (therefor stereo).

Any ideas?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
20 hours in and I still find the game gorgeous, handheld and docked (my screen is only 32 inches). That being said, I wish they would give an option to remove AA, those videos convinced me the game would look even better.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What level does the actual quest recommend? You should be alright with the boss fight if you use Quen and Igni. Remember to use side step instead of dodge roll because the latter drains your stamina. You can also rest just before the fight to replenish your pots.
Resting restores potions you have made? Havent made any potions yet, been healing using food, is that really bad? Im level 5 atm.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
The whole "pop-in problems" like in Dragon's Dogma on Switch also persist here, but not as bad just due to the amount of vegitation present (which is arguably a lot more than DD's). Don't forget the incredible lighting that's present in this game as well: Sunrise and sunsets still look great!

Hopefully Saber Interactive is aware of the moding scene and figures a way to up fidelity more without sacrificing performance. It cannot be understated that they've done a terrific job, and if you do have the game on other platforms but simply lack the time nor commitment, the Switch port just might be the magic pill needed to blast through the campaign.

I recall struggling to get into the Steam version for whatever reason: Perhaps I was trying to make my R9 Nano run those fabled 60fps on my 1366x768 monitor with me just endlessly tweaking the config, and the tiny subtitles just made it annoying to read/fully comprehend what's going on. It just didn't feel as snappy to play on PC as it does on Switch, which is ironic considering the Switch has longer loading times. Maybe it was the fabled menu lag?

Also some impressions on the game in general:
  • Geraldt is actually quite funny and easy going, in contrast to the whole edgelord "God Of War" persona they instill him in the marketing materials.
  • This game does not know what i-frames are, nor does it seem to want to know them. As far as I'm concerned, this is more "pen-and-paper"/"roll-the-dice" tabletop RPG when it comes to your rolls and dodges actually counting, so playing safe with footsies and pokes (or just "playing cheap" and taking advantage of enemy AI range) is actually more effective.
  • Even small, inconsequential side missions are great, and can sometimes lead to bigger quests.
  • Stocking up on food is essential...until you unlock Sun and Rain perk. Though what I didn't realize is that you need to be in contact with actual sunlight/rain for the perk to actually work.
  • There are many times I've save-scummed just to see how an outcome might have gone if I answered differently, often with drastic results. But rarely does it feel like you've made the "wrong" choice.
  • Money is hard to come by and I wish they had explained how to sell to merchants (or maybe I accidentally skipped the tutorial..oopsies) sooner as to not always be broke and overburdened with old weapons.
  • Is it right for me to call this "Medival Mass Effect"?
Come to think of it, perhaps what stopped me from enjoying it on PC was my "perfectionist" mentality of trying to pursue the absolute best results, whether it comes to graphics and playthrough ("Save scumm till you get the absolute perfect result you wanted!"). But with the Switch version, I can just relax and let my decisions take me wherever the game leads me.
You need to skill a certain perk in the combat skill tree in order to unlock iframes on your dodge. To get money just loot every weapon from enemies and sell them to merchants also don't buy swords or armor.

Apr 9, 2019
20 hours in and I still find the game gorgeous, handheld and docked (my screen is only 32 inches). That being said, I wish they would give an option to remove AA, those videos convinced me the game would look even better.
Yeah, removing AA makes a world of difference going by those videos. If they patch that in I might bite, because right now it looks a bit too rough for me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I Think I came across a bug.. doing the tutorial and cast quen.

Then vesemir just stands there and I can do nothing. Anyone seen this or?

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Complaints about the visuals are bananas to me. The developers were as up front as possible from the get go re: what the port was capable of. I honestly think they've delivered an incredible product given the limitations they're working with.

If softer, cut back visual aren't for you, then there are plenty of other options to play on other platforms. This intense desire to shit on something this technically impressive seems really stupid and entitled though.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
I Think I came across a bug.. doing the tutorial and cast quen.

Then vesemir just stands there and I can do nothing. Anyone seen this or?
I had this happen to me to. I think it happens when you don't do the tutorial in the exact order of the promps on screen. What I did to fix it was reload to the nearest save, "should me the newest one" and go through the tutorial again making sure to go exactly in order of the promps. Hope this helps!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Complaints about the visuals are bananas to me. The developers were as up front as possible from the get go re: what the port was capable of. I honestly think they've delivered an incredible product given the limitations they're working with.

If softer, cut back visual aren't for you, then there are plenty of other options to play on other platforms. This intense desire to shit on something this technically impressive seems really stupid and entitled though.
As is the 'intense desire' to protect the game from opinions that the visuals are lacking - because that's all we're talking about here, a few people posting their thoughts. People can give their feedback on the visuals and others are free to take that into account. I'd rather get some sense of how rough they are even if I fully intend to buy it because I appreciate it's on the Switch.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Shrieker is kicking my ass! I get it to about half its healthbar but then its odd or so swipe has me bleeding, and despite having eaten food, the bleed damage still persists through. Argh!

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
As is the 'intense desire' to protect the game from opinions that the visuals are lacking - because that's all we're talking about here, a few people posting their thoughts. People can give their feedback on the visuals and others are free to take that into account. I'd rather get some sense of how rough they are even if I fully intend to buy it because I appreciate it's on the Switch.
But I just fail to see what the benefit in stating the obvious is?

"I bought a red cup that was advertised as being red, was shown in pictures being red, and was described in detail by professional 'cup' outlets as being red. I am now sat at home absolutely fuming that the cup is red."

We know what the Switch hardware is capable of. The developers showed footage throughout development as to what the game looks like docked and portable. Sites like Digital Foundry and GameXplain have pulled it apart technically to show it at its best and worst. Anecdotal evidence here, given the overwhelming information already out there, seems a total waste of time to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

"I bought a red cup that was advertised as being red, was shown in pictures being red, and was described in detail by professional 'cup' outlets as being red. I am now sat at home absolutely fuming that the cup is red."

We know what the Switch hardware is capable of. The developers showed footage throughout development as to what the game looks like docked and portable. Sites like Digital Foundry and GameXplain have pulled it apart technically to show it at its best and worst. Anecdotal evidence here, given the overwhelming information already out there, seems a total waste of time to me.

Well it seems to be not that obvious because we have several posts in this very thread that are surprised by how blurry it is.

Resting restores potions you have made? Havent made any potions yet, been healing using food, is that really bad? Im level 5 atm.

Yeah food is pretty terrible and slow for healing. Early on you should be able to make Swallow (healing) and thunderbolt (damage) pots.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

i dont understand your problem.... seeing something with your own eyes, experiencing the game yourself is totally different than watching a video of it on youtube.

Which again, seems crazy considering the exact pixel resolutions have been widely circulated for quite some time now.

Blurring isnt just caused by the low res tho