• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That quick opens the inventory, which is annoying because playing with no HUD and would rather prefer a quick opens option for the map

Interesting. On PC with an Xbox controller, that will open the map. Maybe it's holding (-) then? If not, that's an odd choice. The map is indeed more valuable to quickly access than your inventory imo. Perhaps there is a setting for it somewhere.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Interesting. On PC with an Xbox controller, that will open the map. Maybe it's holding (-) then? If not, that's an odd choice. The map is indeed more valuable to quickly access than your inventory imo. Perhaps there is a setting for it somewhere.

(-) opens the Load/Save/Settings menu. Agreed it's a pretty odd choice! Which makes me feel like I'm missing the option somewhere

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You can use money for other things?

Both DLC's have some money sinks (vanity and actual stats type stuff) and crafting best Witcher gear is pricey in coin and materials. Blood & Wine especially has stuff that CDPR put in as pure money sinks because people had insane amounts of cash at that point of full run.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my game today. I'm wondering if I should
get the Aerondight early in the game so that it levels with me.
Anyone tried this yet?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Damn the audio compression is actually noticeable. They should have an option to download the "high quality" sound pack, doesn't make sense to gimp permanently just because it can't fit on the cart itself. I see there's a mod for this on Nexus if you have a hacked Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hmmm... I played on Death March for 120 hours and only suffered against three or four bosses. In terms of difficulty, since the combat is so lame (rolling and striking resolves anything) I would rate 4/10.

But in terms of length... that may take around 150 hours. Could be more, could be less. The main problem here is the missing trophies and Gwent.

Noted! Tyvm!

Oct 27, 2017
They should have let us tap on the minimal to open the full map.

Yeah we need a direct-to-map function. I just tried tapping, swiping (a la PS4 touchpad), nothing worked.

EDIT: If you hold down the + button, it goes directly to inventory. I tried going to map, exiting, and holding down + again, but it keeps going straight to inventory.

Last edited:

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I should trade this in. I only wanted for portable mode, but it's giving me eye strain trying to make out the visuals on the small screen

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I should trade this in. I only wanted for portable mode, but it's giving me eye strain trying to make out the visuals on the small screen
If you got the physical, keep it.

I play it docked, much to the chagrin of other ResetEra users.
Yeah we need a direct-to-map function. I just tried tapping, swiping (a la PS4 touchpad), nothing worked.

EDIT: If you hold down the + button, it goes directly to inventory. I tried going to map, exiting, and holding down + again, but it keeps going straight to inventory.
Oh, I didn't know about the Inventory shortcut!

I still don't understand Gwent...

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the biggest thing to get used to is controls (from KB+M to a controller). Also, there's no way to swap the "B" and "A" button for confirm right? It's kinda jarring.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The hype surrounding Witcher getting released on Switch inspired me to start a 4th playthrough so I could finally get around to playing the DLC.

I had forgotten how annoying the combat is when you are fighting multiple melee enemies at once and you get juggled. I got ambushed by some scrubs on the road and took them on (because I'm Geralt of muthafuckin Rivia) and ended up dying because I missed a parry and all 5 of them attacked one right after the other and wombo combo'd me lol

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the biggest thing to get used to is controls (from KB+M to a controller). Also, there's no way to swap the "B" and "A" button for confirm right? It's kinda jarring.
There Is. It's under Control Settings -> Controller Scheme.

A button by default is Confirm in all Nintendo systems.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
The hype surrounding Witcher getting released on Switch inspired me to start a 4th playthrough so I could finally get around to playing the DLC.

I had forgotten how annoying the combat is when you are fighting multiple melee enemies at once and you get juggled. I got ambushed by some scrubs on the road and took them on (because I'm Geralt of muthafuckin Rivia) and ended up dying because I missed a parry and all 5 of them attacked one right after the other and wombo combo'd me lol

Lol just did that part too! I noped out of there, underleveled and 5 at once is just too much. Combat encounter balance is so out of whack in this game. Most encounters are fine but some are just straight BS.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There Is. It's under Control Settings -> Controller Scheme.

A button by default is Confirm in all Nintendo systems.

I've asked before.. but I dont see it. The controller scheme seems to be just informative but it offers no way to change it unless I'm blind?

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
F the haters. The graphics are amazing for the switch.

However the combat in this game blows

vicarino

Aug 31, 2019
I'm 10 hours in and loving it more and more on my lite. it's like having a book with a pagemarker. I open it, play for a bit wherever i am and leave it on stand by until i get some time to play again. For a game like this this is great, really great.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I like how it defaults to alternative movement.

There would have been quite a few comments/reddit posts talking about the horrible movement otherwise lol

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's there. Options>Control Settings>Controller Scheme. Standard is "A" for confirm and Alternative is "B" for confirm.
Under Control Settings I only see the following options
- Inver camera x
- Invert camera y
- Right stick sensitivity camera
- Right stick sensitivity aiming
- vibration
- Alternative quick access Menu control mode << Do you mean this?

In controller scheme I see no modifiable options. I play in handheld, maybe its an option just available for pro controller? 🤔

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Under Control Settings I only see the following options
- Inver camera x
- Invert camera y
- Right stick sensitivity camera
- Right stick sensitivity aiming
- vibration
- Alternative quick access Menu control mode << Do you mean this?

In controller scheme I see no modifiable options. I play in handheld, maybe its an option just available for pro controller? 🤔
1gZLZiwr.jpg

Are you on the latest patch?

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Use your spells. Magic. BURN THEM UP. SET THEM ON FIRE

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Geralt of muthafuckin Rivia wouldn't miss a parry.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You say the game is ugly but IQ is not everything. I prefer a soft IQ to no AA so I think the game looks stunning (only tried undocked). The world is lush and full of life and there's just so much that is great about it visually. In my opinion, it's the best looking game on Switch. All the games on it that are sharper are a lot less complex and detailed. It matters more to me than IQ and I think that goes for a lot of people.

How do you even see that the world is lush and full of life? On my switch, it's like someone smeared vaseline on the screen in handheld mode.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked before.. but I dont see it. The controller scheme seems to be just informative but it offers no way to change it unless I'm blind?
From the title screen menu, choose Options, then go to Controller Configuration. It's the toggle called "Controller Scheme". Toggling it the other way will flip A and B as Cancel and Confirm. Just don't know why anyone would want to do that...

Holy hell, Jenna the Witch boss battle is ridiculous. Any tips?

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I don't have a switch BUT never played this game more then 20? Hours two different times so I restarted on Death March after like 4 hours straight on the X, I forgot this is like best single player game ever lol. Have fun switch people

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on 1.60, don't know if that's the latest, but I've started the game many times and it hasn't prompted me to download anything.

1.60 is I guess the content version, but not the actual build version. Current build version as of writing is Ver 3.4.

You can check your version number from the Switch's HOME Menu. (Exit the game)

Simply press (+)Start on Thw Witcher 3 icon, and select Software Update. You can see the version number of the game just below the title.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1.60 is I guess the content version, but not the actual build version.

You can check your version number from the Switch's HOME Menu.

Simply press (+)Start on Thw Witcher 3 icon, and select Software Update. You can see the version number of the game just below the title.
Thanks! I see that now, and an option to download an update which I am doing right now. Huh, all my other games always update automatically, don't know why this one didn't.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I see that now, and an option to download an update which I am doing right now. Huh, all my other games always update automatically, don't know why this one didn't.
Games will usually download updates automatically while in sleep mode, but recent entries (i.e. new games just inserted) don't normally get updated right away. It's best practice to manually update to make sure the build is the current version.

The update also improve performance so you might see an improvement on visuals a bit. Who knows if Saber Interactive will follow up with another update further improving performance? (Warframe is a good reference on how much performance can improve.)

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just cleared out White Orchard. So good. Now I'm ready to leave "the damn Hinterlands."

I do really miss some QoL mods, such as auto loot, modifiable witcher sense, no weight limit, and just having to press one button to loot stuff.

I especially miss the last one.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my copy arrived after shipping on Monday, but a little bummed by the lack of a map shortcut.

I used this all the time during my limited play time on X1X. Really hope they patch it in.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Love this port so much. It allows me to take plenty of time for diving deep into the stories and for reading all the lore. The game design is also very suitable for the flexibility of the Switch.

I remember rushing through Mass Effect and ignoring most side content and lore, and still forgetting bits of the story due to sparse access to a decent PC. Didn't want the same to happen with TW3, and been hoping so much for this port because portability integrates long RPGs like this so much better in a regular life.

I don't really get the talk about handheld mode here, it looks very good (and better, as it should) in docked mode. The downgrade in handheld is similar to DQ XI. Probably sitting in 1m distance to a monstrous 4k TV won't suit this game well, but my 1080p 26" monitor is perfectly fine. I know how this game looks on a gaming PC, there is a visible downgrade when bringing it over to a 15 W device of course, but whoever feels very sensitive about pixel counts and never watched a DVD should simply open a gameplay video in the Switch YouTube app before buying.

This port is for people who value and prioritize flexibility more than graphics. Most Switch gamers will fall into this category. TW3 might be the best looking game on Switch right now, and is a strong rival for BotW for the best open world game on this system.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really undecided on Witcher 3. While it's a technical achievement, actually playing it isn't great due to the low resolution and blurriness. It's making me want to play it on my Xbox One X and experience it "properly". But that means being tied to the couch.

I kinda wish they'd taken the graphics down a touch almost so it could be sharper and a higher resolution. Reduce the grass and trees a bit etc.

On the Xbox and PC, I couldn't wait to get back into the game after stopping playing. With this I can't really motivate myself to play with those graphics. I'm far from a graphics snob but the blurriness is on another level.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really undecided on Witcher 3. While it's a technical achievement, actually playing it isn't great due to the low resolution and blurriness. It's making me want to play it on my Xbox One X and experience it "properly". But that means being tied to the couch.

I kinda wish they'd taken the graphics down a touch almost so it could be sharper and a higher resolution. Reduce the grass and trees a bit etc.

On the Xbox and PC, I couldn't wait to get back into the game after stopping playing. With this I can't really motivate myself to play with those graphics. I'm far from a graphics snob but the blurriness is on another level.
I'm kind of the same way as I have it on my ps4 pro too (and PC), but ultimately I just remember that owned the game on two platforms for years and never finished. When I did play, I hurried through a lot of shit. Currently, I've already explored white run, I'm actually collecting herbs, exploring, etc. Most engaged I've been in some time. I do wish the game was a bit sharper, but turning off blur helped for me. On one hand, I think the graphics are poor, but then I realize I'm in the car or on the can playing Witcher 3 and just keep enjoying myself. I do hope we can see further optimization such as some of those locked settings being released.