• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Looks extremely blurry, which is expected, but I'm very impressed that they could even port it this well to the Switch. The blurriness is probably less noticeable on handheld too. If the performance is good as shown then the team that ported this deserves a lot of praise.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looks extremely blurry, which is expected, but I'm very impressed that they could even port it this well to the Switch. The blurriness is probably less noticeable on handheld too. If the performance is good as shown then the team that ported this deserves a lot of praise.
Yup, this port is unlike any other Switch port so far: it's a huge open world with state of the art graphical fidelity (for 2015) and a 30 fps frame rate, and yet it runs well and looks good. That's much more impressive than Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and MK11, since those are much more confined/linear, and the first two even sliced the frame rate in half in the process. Saber did an amazing job porting it over and delivering a good experience on weaker hardware. Brilliant work, and I hope they get many more contracts like this for the Switch - they have clearly shown that they have the skills to port the most demanding games to the system.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
How does this compare to DQXIS in portable mode? Looks better, worse, about the same?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
With this port, Saber is head and shoulders above any other porting studio on Switch so far. I hope it'll give them some well deserved visibility, and they can probably count me as at least interested in their future work on the system.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great OP!

Looking forward to this, unfortunately The Game Collection haven't dispatched yet so I might be waiting until Tuesday but that's fine. I already know that the game is excellent so it's good to hear people saying that the Switch version is a good version. I haven't played TW3 since 2015 and both Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone since 2016 so it has definitely been a while.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I recall Warframe being similar during launch, if not as stable a framerate. Throughout time, devs were able to optimize the game enough to improve internal resolution rendering and even improve performance.

The fact there's a Day 1 last minute patch to add more polish/better LOD means its possible res could be bumped up a bit to 900p given some time. I do feel the developers are doing an impressive job just pushing the hardware to its limits while keeping the game experience intact.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
What language options does the game offer? In particular in the European versions. Can you do English dub + text / UI in a different language like on PC?

Really prefer the English dub. Probably subjective, but the German voice of Geralt sounds like a generic Bruce Willis-type action hero to me (definitely in the initial area). A lot more nuance and care seemed to have gone into the English dub.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for new players?

I heard it's best to experience the game with map markers turned off.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
In terms of resolution, I'd say about the same. In terms of overall graphical fidelity, Witcher 3 is a step up. DQXI S is one of the best-looking games on the Switch, but Witcher 3 is the best looking one imo.

That's great to know, DQXIS' resolution didn't bother me much, so this probably won't either.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OT title should have been "Damn you're ugly".

Kidding, of course. It's really incredible that they managed to get this to run on a handheld.
Definitely one of the best games of this generation. To all the new players, enjoy! You're in for an amazing journey.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Any chance they will ad more languages down the line?

my friend is interested in this, but doesn't speak English well enough to fully enjoy this game.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Just had a quick look on YouTube and it looks like they've done a stellar job with it. Not sure I want to splash the cash with A Hat in Time and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the horizon, but new players are in for a treat. It's a wonderful game.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
What language options does the game offer? In particular in the European versions. Can you do English dub + text / UI in a different language like on PC?

Really prefer the English dub. Probably subjective, but the German voice of Geralt sounds like a generic Bruce Willis-type action hero to me (definitely in the initial area). A lot more nuance and care seemed to have gone into the English dub.
There should be English + whatever language you are speaking. At least that's how it is in my Russian version. Voice and UI are separate options.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the OT.
I am ready to put another 200hrs of Witcher adventure this time on the go with headphones!!!

Play on Death March difficulty and turn off "points of interest" map markers. Immerse yourself and enjoy.

Turn off points of interest is a MUST!
The game felt so much better when you can bump into random quest in a cottage within a forest lol.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think i would have to see this in person. The blurriness in these videos is similar to wearing someone else's low prescription glasses

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit, when I played on PC I installed a mod that let me skip all the Gwent stuff because I have little interest in card-playing games. Am I gonna have to learn Gwent when I play this on Switch? Maybe I'll see what all the fuss is about.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Guys, I'm really impressed by the loading times

It took 13 seconds from the main menu to game (White Orchard). 6 seconds to fast travel from 2 places in the same region.

I've tested now on my PS4 using a standard HDD, and it took 29 seconds to load to the same spot. Fast travelling took 6 seconds, using the same locations from the Switch version.

I've tested Blur and Motion Blur on and off, but strangely, I noticed no differences both visually and performance wise.
Actually, Motion Blur seems to be off even when it should be on.
The effect on the PS4 is certainly exaggerated, but it doesnt seem to be present on the Switch.

Maybe it's a bug? Anyone noticed it?

I've tested the performance on that mini bog near the Nilfgaardians in White Orchard, since that was the most stressful area that I've noticed so far.

Edit: I've tested it on docked to see if the motion blur would be noticeable, and nope, its non existent. Probably a bug. I hope that Digital Foundry notices it during their analysis. And yes, I have the day one patch.

Also, the game looks ugly when docked, even when not comparing to the PS4 version. I'm going to play it on handheld mode only.

Last edited:

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I played the first 3 hours of it on Switch in handheld only, gotta say i didn't expect it to be so good, resolution is not awfully low like in other games and overall the game looks great for being on Switch, frame rate is acceptable during gameplay but it drops well under 30 and even 20 fps during cut scenes and dialogues. But as i said overall it's very enjoyable even to me that played it on PC maxed out a few moons ago.
But again i talk about handheld mode only, i won't even try it docked cause to me it makes no sense, at that point i would play the PC version

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little disappointing there's an almost 4GB day one patch. I thought I remembered reading somewhere they would not be a day one patch for this release.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'll admit, when I played on PC I installed a mod that let me skip all the Gwent stuff because I have little interest in card-playing games. Am I gonna have to learn Gwent when I play this on Switch? Maybe I'll see what all the fuss is about.
At no point are you forced to play Gwent. I've never played a single game of it and I've played through the game twice.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is very important to me for a host of reasons. If you'll indulge me....

I first played Witcher Extended Edition a very long time ago, and while I enjoyed it, it was brutally difficult. Still, I played on. Long, obtuse, and very tricky to work out where to go and what to do.

Witcher 2 came out and I grabbed it at launch. I thought it was better than Skyrim and Dark Souls, for they all came out at the same time.

I hadn't finished Witcher 1 yet.

To this day, I haven't yet done the other side of the middle chapter in Witcher 2, but I did play through the majority of the game before the early patches to difficulty were released. That game also got a special edition too.

During the hype period for Witcher 3, it was clear that the game was being adjusted to leave the roots behind left by the previous games even more than ever before.

My PC also wasn't able to run it.

I ended up building my first gaming PC during late 16/17 to get Witcher 3.

It's a game that I still haven't finished in 2019, I enjoy it very much but as soon as I got it I knew that I'd fall into the same trap I always do with open world games - that I don't like them.

I did finish Witcher 1.

But I haven't finished Witcher 3. My thoughts and opinions on the game itself are not for today.

I still cannot fathom that this game is coming to Switch. Not so much the technical factor, though that is the narrative all around.

Like other notable publishers and developers returning to the Nintendo 'backyard', there's a sense it's too good to be true for this long-time Nintendo fan.

One of my absolute favourite developers on the planet over the course of my entire gaming history coming to the Switch? I'm elated.

I already saw the Witcher 1 era CD Projekt Red metamorphose a couple of times, as mentioned above I couldn't understand the second entry coming to consoles when it did.

But this is something else entirely, I think the journey to get here is probably going to be more fascinating than the destination - and I think it's great news for Nintendo, CDPR, and the series itself.

I will be celebrating.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't gonna pick this up for a while but it seems like they've done an amazing job on the port. I'm so glad this exists, because there's probably a lot of Nintendo-only gamers who are gonna get to play this now. My girlfriend would've never touched it, but is really excited to start now (also excited for the Netflix show, so that's probably helping)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Damn. This changes my physical purchase to a digital purchase which is too bad because I really wanted everything on that 32 gig cart plus the little extras.
Just to be clear: this is a performance patch, not a content patch: all content is on the card. The patch just represents extra optimisations they have been working on since the moment it went gold.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
..why? There was bound to be patches either way, there is no such thing as flawless software that doesn't require patching.
Sadly I know. I was just hoping this was going to be the one exception to the rule. I just hate the idea of the disc or cart not being the game. In my mind a patch means it's incomplete. Just a hang up of mine. Pretty much the reason I've gone full digital this generation. I thought just maybe they could have optimized it as best they could prior to shipping.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Gwent is optional, but is really fun if you want to try.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sadly I know. I was just hoping this was going to be the one exception to the rule. I just hate the idea of the disc or cart not being the game. In my mind a patch means it's incomplete. Just a hang up of mine. Pretty much the reason I've gone full digital this generation. I thought just maybe they could have optimized it as best they could prior to shipping.
Before patches, games weren't as optimised as they could be, either. The Witcher 3 port is very solid, no reason to think they left the optimisation until after launch imo.

But it's your call, of course.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think this is best to play in Handheld mode only, from the videos it's way too blurry to play on a big screen.

Great effort on the port though, who'd of thought we would've been playing this on a handheld a few years back.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I played the majority of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in handheld mode so I'm ready for this game lol. But "sadly" Amazon Mexico always delivers my preorders on the release day so I need to wait a bit more to enjoy this. I cant wait to try it even if my backlog is huge...

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I thought just maybe they could have optimized it as best they could prior to shipping.
I think that's what they did. The pre-patch game, based on what people have said, is as stabe as the Gamescom demos. I guess they needed time to actually produce those card/packaging, so it makes sense they use the extra post-shipping time (which is about a month or so gap) to make a "further optimized" patch.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think Saber may have taken the crown on third party Switch optimisation. Simply because it seems from what I've seen they've improved the frame rate in areas that struggled by making the necessary sacrifices on an extremely challenging open world game all while maintaining the fact that it's Witcher.

Whereas Panic Button had to half the frame rate on a more linear, closed off game. Not to say they did a bad job by any stretch. Just the bar has been risen.

Come on Capcom get someone like Saber to port RE7/2R an DMCV. Since gathering from your port of RE6 you're incapable of optimisation for the Switch.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Great job with the OT. I'm really tempted to get the game even though i already have it on PS4 (got it digitally pretty cheap). I feel like having it in portable will give me more time to actually finish it.

Looks like a great port, one that's actually taken care of and i feel the developer/publisher needs to be rewarded for it. This game proves that Switch can run most of the games out there (with many compromises of course) but still feel like the same game. Pretty incredible.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This changes my physical purchase to a digital purchase which is too bad because I really wanted everything on that 32 gig cart plus the little extras.

everything is in cart except the 3GB performance patch which was obviously the optimisations between going gold and day 1 - not sure how it compares without it, but most games these days have patches