• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
From memory, a lot of The Witcher 3's NPCs do the same. Many will go to bed at night, and take cover during storms.

Yeah, exactly. CDPR's attention to detail in environment topography, social strata in civilisation, and visual worldbuilding is second to none. Everything is exactly where it should be; towns and cities look like they were dug out and built to be on top of land that existed before, people live and work and speak like they would in their relative social hierarchy, foliage is distributed realistically based on soil and topographical variances. It all blends together in a remarkably believable way.

Yeah something like Skyrim has horribly inconsistent and unrealistic scale to everything in comparison. Just compare a simple forest in TW3 and then look at what one looks like in Skyrim.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the game passed Link's Awakening on my local eShop (should be either EU or Germany) this weekend. It's now:

1) Luigi's Mansion
2) The Witcher 3
3) Link's Awakening
4) Untitled Goose Game

I hope this means that this port sold well. Very happy for them if that's true.
Witcher 3 is #2 on Austrian eshop too. I'm happy :)

Number 4 in the U.S.
1) Untitled Goose Game
2) Revenge of the Bird King (was on sale for very cheap)
3) Luigi's Mansion 3
4) The Witcher III
5) Link's Awakening

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
I picked up this game on the switch last week. Never played it on any other platform.

I put about 10 hours into it and I'm done.

The performance is annoying enough and my game has crashed several times. The load times are atrocious, especially if you die in a fight multiple times.

Ultimately the thing that got me to quit is that I just don't get much joy out of the combat. Having to apply oil to my blade, maintain durability, be super prepared with items going into a quest... just not loving it. And Geralt's movement is slow and unresponsive.

I tried to love this... Just couldn't get passed the parts that annoyed me. Find it hilarious that people complain about weapon upkeep in games like BOTW. This takes the boring upkeep to new heights.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah the fact that you need to apply oils and drink potions on a regular basis is also unfun to me. But overall I'm really enjoying my time with the Witcher 3, a thousand times more than when I tried to play it on PC.
I had some pretty long flights this week end and it was great to have such game. But surprisingly, I was happy to get home and play on my monitor, I realy find the game more beautiful like this; white orchard gives a wrong first impression of the switch visuals I think, the other regions are much prettier.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Hi guys, any news about a patch to fix the languages bug? I have this game since day one but I wanna play it in spanish, the english used in the game seems a bit complicated for my skills haha ):

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Saber/CDPR patching the game to include some tweaks like this really would be next level post launch support.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I assume a patch would also fix the language issues for some.
What do you mean? Add more languages?

My friend, with whom I'm sharing games, doesn't speak English well enough to enjoy a story-heavy game like Witcher properly, they do have an adequate enough understanding of Russian though.

An addition of certain languages could turn this into a certain purchase.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the fact that you need to apply oils and drink potions on a regular basis is also unfun to me. But overall I'm really enjoying my time with the Witcher 3, a thousand times more than when I tried to play it on PC.
I had some pretty long flights this week end and it was great to have such game. But surprisingly, I was happy to get home and play on my monitor, I realy find the game more beautiful like this; white orchard gives a wrong first impression of the switch visuals I think, the other regions are much prettier.
Agree with this. Velen so far looks better than White Orchard, i noticed it instantly.
I play the majority of the time docked and i think the game looks good, it's just mindblowing really how smooth and good it all works.
Saber being eventually not done to optimize the game is excellent news!
Thanks for sharing:)

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
I picked up this game on the switch last week. Never played it on any other platform.

The performance is annoying enough and my game has crashed several times. The load times are atrocious, especially if you die in a fight multiple times.

Ultimately the thing that got me to quit is that I just don't get much joy out of the combat. Having to apply oil to my blade, maintain durability, be super prepared with items going into a quest... just not loving it. And Geralt's movement is slow and unresponsive.

I tried to love this... Just couldn't get passed the parts that annoyed me. Find it hilarious that people complain about weapon upkeep in games like BOTW. This takes the boring upkeep to new heights.

Yeah, I kind of totally agree with you! I try my best to oil my swords and all that, but I always hope I can get by without spending hours on the menu screens.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I also find the oils and such to be more of a hassle than fun. That's why I'm playing on the second lowest difficulty. Slaughtering monsters like that is much more enjoyable, albeit somewhat easy sometimes. But the griffon fight e.g. was challenging enough for what it was. I'm very satisfied with it this way.

Playing it on higher difficulties isn't really about being good at the combat itself, but rather about how willing you are to prepare yourself before the fight. It becomes a menu based game very easily then, which isn't what I'm looking for. In that sense W3 isn't as much of an ARPG as other games in the genre.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Just so people know, the game's difficulty balance is pretty wack. The earliest hours of the game are generally by far the hardest. Oils aren't necessary so if the game feels impossible even with them it's a good idea to turn the difficulty down.

But as the game progresses, your gear gets better and Geralt's level higher, and of course your own skill level improves, it becomes a lot easier to make it throw battles. Particularly deflecting arrows too. Parries are absolutely key against humans.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

How is the weapon upkeep bad? You literally go to any blacksmith and you repair equipped with a button press, or use the portable repairs which after awhile the game gives you a lot of if you loot stuff like you're supposed to.

The combat isn't the greatest but the oils aren't 100% necessary, if you feel like you're dying a lot just turn the difficulty down. I for one enjoyed prepping for a fight. Reading the backstory and bestiary for Witcher contracts, applying the right oils and searching for superior oil upgrades, using alchemy to increase stats and effect, using the right bombs and Witcher signs to your advantage, etc.

To each his own though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So the game passed Link's Awakening on my local eShop (should be either EU or Germany) this weekend. It's now:

1) Luigi's Mansion
2) The Witcher 3
3) Link's Awakening
4) Untitled Goose Game

I hope this means that this port sold well. Very happy for them if that's true.
Dutch eShop:

1. Untitled Goose Game
2. Luigi's Mansion
3. 911 Operator (on sale for 99 cents)
4. Minecraft
5. The Witcher 3
6. Link's Awakening
7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Oiling swords is a matter of 5 seconds. Maybe people forgot how slow menus worked back when the game launched, in comparison to those days this version is heaven.
On the combat side i have still to get bored of it after 200 hours. It has a learning curve, but it is satisfying and fun as heck imo.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I chose the lowest difficulty right away because, really, I just want to discover the world. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to video games, so basically anything involving using menus a lot is a turn off, so I hope I can get by without doing that too much. It's such a beautiful game that I want to see as much of it as I can.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Is there any downside when playing on an easier difficulty? I mean, content or story wise?

Yeah something like Skyrim has horribly inconsistent and unrealistic scale to everything in comparison. Just compare a simple forest in TW3 and then look at what one looks like in Skyrim.

This is an interesting take. What do you mean exactly by "unrealistic scale"?
I found the (i.e.) transitions between a forest and a marsh (or open field) in skyrim rather good. mostly because of it's superb texture work (for it's time).

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018

I do this quite a bit as well :) I wi
Yeah, I kind of totally agree with you! I try my best to oil my swords and all that, but I always hope I can get by without spending hours on the menu screens.

Crazy. I am 125 hours into this game now, never played it before. I have only used oil once, lol. I have only used the bombs to destroy the nests. I go to the blacksmith for repairs maybe once per 1-2 hours of playing. I have also only had 5 crashes in those 125 hours of play. Super prepared with what items?? You don't do anything to prepare the items after you pick them up, they are just in your inventory. Lol. None of this rant even makes any sense. I also have not had any performance issues that affect the gameplay. Incredible that you experienced all of this in less than ten hours ;)

Why are you dying multiple times in a single fight? It sounds to me like you are trying to fight enemies that are way overleveled and much higher than your current ranking.

It sounds to me like you aren't being strategic or patient in your fighting which has nothing to do with the game. All of the things you complained about, don't actually even have to be used, besides the repair.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
One thing i don't like about W3 is how frequentely and long it rains, at least in Velen/Novigrad. The weather effects are cool and the sound even better, but it rains far too long. On the flip side Toussaint is dry as heck, weird.

It's funny how two of the arguably best games this gen have the same problem, the other being BotW.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
One thing i don't like about W3 is how frequentely and long it rains, at least in Velen/Novigrad. The weather effects are cool and the sound even better, but it rains far too long. On the flip side Toussaint is dry as heck, weird.

It's funny how two of the arguably best games this gen have the same problem, the other being BotW.
I dunno, what with Velen basically being adjacent to a swamp and all, it kinda makes sense with the setting that it rains a lot imo. Maybe it's me, though: as a Dutchman, it doesn't feel like a lot of rain lol

Oh, and you can leave out the "arguably" imo :P

Oct 26, 2017
I also find the oils and such to be more of a hassle than fun. That's why I'm playing on the second lowest difficulty. Slaughtering monsters like that is much more enjoyable, albeit somewhat easy sometimes. But the griffon fight e.g. was challenging enough for what it was. I'm very satisfied with it this way.

Playing it on higher difficulties isn't really about being good at the combat itself, but rather about how willing you are to prepare yourself before the fight. It becomes a menu based game very easily then, which isn't what I'm looking for. In that sense W3 isn't as much of an ARPG as other games in the genre.
On pc the auto apply oils mod is essential for me. It takes out so much useless menu time. It's really a shame that consoles are still so restrictive with mods ( I know why but it still sucks)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or do I barely use the Quen sign? Side-stepping can be overpowered at times...

Which brings me to Witch 3's gameplay in general...

Yes, I do think the game's stringent for being a stickler to table-top style RPG'ing, dousing oils in swords included, do hamper the gameplay a bit, especially when you can apply oils within the menu in the heat of battle, but apparently you can't do that with food. It's like CD Project Red was trying to think of a system that would remain balanced if you do things menu-side, but kinda forgot halfway that was it they're balancing so you're left with this half-broken, half-simulation of D&D in real-time. This is also the reason why rolling is almost completely useless (because i-frames simply aren't the tabletop RPG thing so literally "no dice") compared to side-stepping, and why menu navigation alone could use more streamlining.

I guess this is why people try to refer to this as "Western RPG jank": It's because they don't streamline the system enough to make it unintrusive, while still trying to stay preferably close to it's tabletop RPG roots. It kind of reminds me of Ultima in a sense that you have 5 pieces of gear to micromanage (only instead of headgear you have an extra sword). I'm figuring that Cyberpunk 2077 is their experiment with making more concessions towards player experience by unshackling themselves (more) from tabletop RPG conventions.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Crazy. I am 125 hours into this game now, never played it before. I have only used oil once, lol. I have only used the bombs to destroy the nests. I go to the blacksmith for repairs maybe once per 1-2 hours of playing. I have also only had 5 crashes in those 125 hours of play. Super prepared with what items?? You don't do anything to prepare the items after you pick them up, they are just in your inventory. Lol.
None of this rant even makes any sense. I also have not had any performance issues that affect the gameplay. Incredible that you experienced all of this in less than ten hours ;). Why are you dying multiple times in a single fight? It sounds to me like you are trying to fight enemies that are way overleveled and much higher than your current ranking.
It sounds to me like you aren't being strategic or patient in your fighting which has nothing to do with the game. All of the things you complained about, don't actually even have to be used, besides the repair.
What is it with this game and people getting completely bent out of shape when others don't enjoy it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Regards weapons maintenance, can anyone explain why I found gun maintainance in RDR2 absolutely fine and weapons maintenance absolutely a chore in Witcher 3?

I just find the sheer amount of detail on Witcher 3's inventory and customisation etc too in-depth for my tastes (it's a PC game at heart with not much thought into the console versions IMO) I prefer things to be streamlined, I even prefer the disposable and breakable weapons system of BOTW (I liked that anyway).

For me, it drags the game down in too much detail, which means I'll probably skip Cyberpunk if it's going to be worse than this.

Apart from that, they game seems fine, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the story.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any downside when playing on an easier difficulty? I mean, content or story wise?
Nope.

You're overestimating how much those things impact the gameplay. Oils are optional and pre-fight preparation seriously isn't a thing in this game, it's just flavor. You can handle all the "preparing" mid-fight if you ever find yourself needing a buff.
I'd say give it another shot, and maybe consider dropping the difficulty. Combat is never going to become the interesting part of this game, so there's no point in making yourself suffer for some imaginary gamer cred. I played it on the second highest difficulty until all the bugs Blood & Wine launched with forced me to drop it to "Easy" and it honestly made it much more enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts after having this for a few days:
+Switching between menus and loading up the map is fast and not laggy unlike when the game first launched on the PS4.
+The cutscenes look pretty amazing and the IQ seems reasonable sharp in handheld (talking again about the cutscenes).
+Not being cheapskates and actually using a 32GB for a 4 year old port even at full price still deserves to be commended.
+Including physical extras like the initial console release like the map and stickers, ect
+Maybe the most demanding and impressive port the Switch will ever see, as I doubt anything like Cyberpunk or RDR2 will ever be seen on the system

-3GB patch is a little bigger than I would have hoped for
-Loading times are still pretty long even with less available memory to load into and not being on slow console HDD's.

Overall, it's pretty breathtaking that something like this is possible to play handheld.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with this game and people getting completely bent out of shape when others don't enjoy it.
You're in the wrong thread for it :)

In all honesty, though, this isn't the place to discourage people who are already enjoying the game on the system. At least it proves to me that there's more to this "prestige game" than just graphics: There's actual gameplay and discovering all the side-quest outcomes is fun in and of itself.
This is always neat. Was it the same stuff as the other releases or did they change anything for the Switch one?
I think there's a Thank You letter from CD Project Red saying how much they've poured into the game and how many new players will get to enjoy it now.

I'm not so sure if the other versions included a printed manual that also gave a primer about The Witcher lore but I'm glad I read it as I'm still trying to grasp what's going on with Nilfgardian forces and Tameria, etc.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me or do I barely use the Quen sign? Side-stepping can be overpowered at times...
Depends on which difficulty you play. For me on Death March Quen is essential, one touch of an enemy can break you on DM so i usually cast Quen before i engage in battle and let the magic bar refill (it refills quickly outside battles).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You're in the wrong thread for it :)

In all honesty, though, this isn't the place to discourage people who are already enjoying the game on the system. At least it proves to me that there's more to this "prestige game" than just graphics: There's actual gameplay and discovering all the side-quest outcomes is fun in and of itself.
No, sorry, but this is the OT for a recent release and people are free to post their impressions of the game, good or bad. Someone can post a negative impression of their time with the game without it being an attempt to discourage others from it. It can be useful as well for others who might be enjoying it, but share similar grievances and want to touch on them.

It goes back to this type of thing:
Fixed for ya. We've seen too many Era posters a number of times trying to disuade people from getting this rather excellent port. The "downgraded" graphics do not affect my enjoyment one bit, and have never pulled me away from the experience.
The game isn't sacrosanct and people can have issues with it. Taking any negative post on the game and treating it as some covert operation to stop being from buying it is flawed. It's a massively successful game from a beloved company, it doesn't need protection from critical views on a forum.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't sacrosanct and people can have issues with it. Taking any negative post on the game and treating it as some covetr operation to stop being from buying it is pathetic.
It occurs in way too many Switch threads to be considered "nonsense": Someone shitposts the Switch version of the game, even if its considered a competent port, often citing how this version is "unnecessary" or "why did they even both" when there is the Steam/PS4/XB1 versions at a cheaper price.

Never did I say this was a perfect port nor has no room for improvement: Clearly crashing issues affected me too and the fact there were some graphical options locked away make me wish Saber Interactive/CD Project Red would somehow patch them in, or perhaps even further optimize the game like what Panic Button did with Warframe (to the point that Warframe no longer looks like "the blurry mess" that it was when it was released).

But to say "If you have it on PC, why do you even bother with this version?" I'll give it to you simple: I love playing on the Switch.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
for those who are having problems with language i've bought the uk version and it only contains english (text and voice) no other options are available. while others Pal version contain other languages.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It occurs in way too many Switch threads to be considered "nonsense": Someone shitposts the Switch version of the game, even if its considered a competent port, often citing how this version is "unnecessary" or "why did they even both" when there is the Steam/PS4/XB1 versions at a cheaper price.

Never did I say this was a perfect port nor has no room for improvement: Clearly crashing issues affected me too and the fact there were some graphical options locked away make me wish Saber Interactive/CD Project Red would somehow patch them in, or perhaps even further optimize the game like what Panic Button did with Warframe (to the point that Warframe no longer looks like "the blurry mess" that it was when it was released).
Except the people posting their issues with the port aren't shitposting, they're posting valid grievances. So don't just hand-wave them as some stupid conspiracy to get people to not buy the game because you happen to like and have enjoyed it. If you want to talk about frequency of tropes in online gaming discussion staunchly defending anything CDPR is up there alongside, if not above, people memeing about the Switch's faults.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Am I crazy for playing through this game on switch rather than my Xbox one X that I've only bothered to play an hour through?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Am I crazy for playing through this game on switch rather than my Xbox one X that I've only bothered to play an hour through?

I have it on PC and never played more than 10 hours. I'm well beyond that on switch as we speak. To be honest, I don't think that i can ever start a video game more than 8-10 hours long if I can't take it on the go; i just don't have the motivation.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Sure to each their own... but i can't understand complaints about the gameplay, especially considering the RPG nature of the game. Controlling Geralt/Roach and running around feels good, the running animation looks good. The camera is perfect. There are start up frames to the animation yes, but you get used to it.

And combat? I have more fun with this combat system as with Batman Arkham/Spiderman combat. Blocking, counters, dodging, slashing, bombs, signs all make an interesting mix of tactical possibilities.
The combat system is good agains hordes and good one vs. one. The system must handle a wide varity of enemy types, from humans to animals, small monsters, bigger monsters, flying monsters, wyverns, trolls, spirits, vampires, witches, spiders etc... the game has some really cool unique bosses too (isn't the Pedell a cool encounter or what?). Even fistfights are covered.

For being an RPG with this scope and complexity TW3 has very good gameplay to boot. I'm far away from being bored gameplaywise so to speak.

Nov 3, 2017
There's definitely something weird going on with the languages. When I played straight from the cart without any patches, I remember seeing an option to change the subtitle language which disappeared after I updated to the latest version?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I have it on PC and never played more than 10 hours. I'm well beyond that on switch as we speak. To be honest, I don't think that i can ever start a video game more than 8-10 hours long if I can't take it on the go; i just don't have the motivation.
I'm exactly like that, which is why I'm debating wether I play The Outer Worlds on my PC (Gamepass) or wait for the Switch version. Ugh. If only it was Saber Interactive doing the port, I would be more confident in waiting. :P

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm exactly like that, which is why I'm debating wether I play The Outer Worlds on my PC (Gamepass) or wait for the Switch version. Ugh. If only it was Saber Interactive doing the port, I would be more confident in waiting. :P

Outer Worlds is ported by Virtuous if I'm not mistaken, and they've been increasingly good with the switch. LA Noire was serviceable, Dark Souls was ok but lacked a performance mode, and Starlink was (apparently, never played it) their best port job. If the trend continues, Outer Worlds should be good! At least that's what I hope because of I do play this game it'll be on switch. Hybrid gaming is just too good to pass on.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I played 300 hours on PS4 and I am in 60 hours already on Switch.

Incredible to be able to play this portable.

the compromises made are very fine by me.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Except the people posting their issues with the port aren't shitposting, they're posting valid grievances. So don't just hand-wave them as some stupid conspiracy to get people to not buy the game because you happen to like and have enjoyed it. If you want to talk about frequency of tropes in online gaming discussion staunchly defending anything CDPR is up there alongside, if not above, people memeing about the Switch's faults.
I'm sure you will be the first one to enlighten those people how CDPR is far from flawless