• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Later today we'd all be like...

(I'm pretty sure somebody will recreate that tub scene with a Switch Lite soon enough...)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think Saber may have taken the crown on third party Switch optimisation. Simply because it seems from what I've seen they've improved the frame rate in areas that struggled by making the necessary sacrifices on an extremely challenging open world game all while maintaining the fact that it's Witcher.

Whereas Panic Button had to half the frame rate on a more linear, closed off game. Not to say they did a bad job by any stretch. Just the bar has been risen.

Come on Capcom get someone like Saber to port RE7/2R an DMCV. Since gathering from your port of RE6 you're incapable of optimisation for the Switch.
This game is a way more impressive port job than any other before it. Saber easily take the crown imo.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
During my bus ride (30 min) I just went on a nice little stroll and encountered both a Wyvern and a water hag. Two tough fights, but really fun. It feels GOOD to be playing Witcher 3 portable like this!

Oh, Crookback runs fine from what I've seen (15 minutes). Some stutters here and there when in full gallop, but none when traversing on foot.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a way more impressive port job than any other before it. Saber easily take the crown imo.
At this point we could be seeing demoscene "wizardry" a la Shin'En/Factor5 in terms of trying to push for absolute theoretical limits.
During my bus ride (30 min) I just went on a nice little stroll and encountered both a Wyvern and a water hag. Two tough fights, but really fun. It feels GOOD to be playing Witcher 3 portable like this!

Oh, Crookback runs fine from what I've seen (15 minutes). Some stutters here and there when in full gallop, but none when traversing on foot.
How are the controls?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Great to hear! I actually prefer traveling those open worlds by foot, when I have the chance. Riding only when necessary. If that helps with loading/streaming in assets and thus making the framerate more stable, I'm even more incentiviced to march throughout those terrains.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At this point we could be seeing demoscene "wizardry" a la Shin'En/Factor5 in terms of trying to push for absolute theoretical limits.

How are the controls?
Good as they are. They are easily as responsive as on PS4. They sometimes are not as responsive as one hopes (same as on PS4), where your sign casting might not register sometimes or Geralt doesn't throw the bomb you wanted him to. But in general, it works well, and I find the combat to be fun, especially when tackling tougher enemies like that Wyvern.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Good as they are. They are easily as responsive as on PS4. They sometimes are not as responsive as one hopes (same as on PS4), where your sign casting might not register sometimes or Geralt doesn't throw the bomb you wanted him to. But in general, it works well, and I find the combat to be fun, especially when tackling tougher enemies like that Wyvern.
A button is Confirm, right?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3 is my Game of Forever and it was that BEFORE the amazing DLC was added.

I envy all of you that get to go through this journey for the first time. I wish I could go in blind and do it all again from start to finish. Its an amazing experience. Be sure to explore every nook and cranny. Never know what you might find!

Deleted member 22528

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If my Walmart is listed as having this "In Stock" online, does that mean it's on the shelf/won't get flagged at register?

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Witcher 3 is my Game of Forever and it was that BEFORE the amazing DLC was added.

I envy all of you that get to go through this journey for the first time. I wish I could go in blind and do it all again from start to finish. Its an amazing experience. Be sure to explore every nook and cranny. Never know what you might find!

Hope to get it today. Do you have any other tips for someone who has never played a Witcher game?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Hope to get it today. Do you have any other tips for someone who has never played a Witcher game?

I say it a lot, but the biggest piece of advice I can give to people new to the series is not to treat Geralt and the character skill tree like other RPGs, namely Bethesda's work and old school CRPGs. In those games if you're not investing points into particular skills or playstyles they're essentially useless; a powerful mage with no points in lockpicking and sneaking will need to find alternatives to get past locked doors, and a powerful warrior expert in sword and shield may not find much use in magic if they've no investment in the skills.

In The Witcher 3 everything is always useful in some capacity. You might not want to invest points into Signs (Witcher's universe magic), but the signs Geralt has are all still useful. Feel free to ignore the potion/oils skill trees for the entire game if you want, but actually brewing and using potions, and coating your sword in oils, never stops making a huge difference.

Upgrading Geralt in The Witcher 3 is more about picking how you want to buff his skills, particularly the ones you use most regularly, and not which skills to use full stop.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Story wise? I would watch a few of the videos out there that summarize Witchers 1 and 2 for those who are new to the series. Several of them came out leading up to Witcher 3. Which is what I did because I had only read the books before Witcher 3. I never played the first two games. Its not required though if you don't want to, but it will make ALOT of things in the game make more sense and allow you to be familiar with the core cast of returning characters. And there are quite a few of them to keep track of. Because the game does a great job of getting you into the setting of the game and the premise behind it, but generally doesn't do a great job of explaining who the returning characters are unless you read ALL of the journal entries.

Also this is not a spoiler so much as it is a piece of advice. Your dialogue choices do matter. Its not one of those games where you get 3 dialogue options and then the NPC responds the same no matter what you say. How you talk to people and what you do can have direct consequences on how the story proceeds. So just keep that in mind as you play. And I meant what I said. Explore EVERYWHERE and grab literally every single side mission you can. Don't just go where the game tells you to go. You will miss soooooooo much if you do that. I found that out after my first playthrough. Turns out I missed like 60% of the game.

And be prepared for the cocaine addiction that is Gwent.

this-game-looks.jpg

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Also this is not a spoiler so much as it is a piece of advice. Your dialogue choices do matter. Its not one of those games where you get 3 dialogue options and then the NPC responds the same no matter what you say.
I still think there's a lot of that in the game tbh.
There's a point on Skellige where you're talking to Yennefer and you choose between asking what she knows or give her a complement that she looks nice. If you pick the first option she inserts a response before getting to the same dialogue that "why did you not notice my hairdo" or something, and I was like "Ha! I see what you did there..."

Most effective choices revolve around whether you want to go somewhere or not do it (like Imlerith with Ciri or the Emperor). Those lead to significant but also relatively minor sequences.

I will also say I felt the causality around the ending with a certain someone feels arbitrary based on a set of parameters. The game makes a case for how some things you said earlier to the character made them win or lose and that is too unclear to be satisfying and ultimately frustrating if one gets the bad ending, which is depressing as hell (thankfully I got Witcher ending) but I do like how the epilogue wraps up their story in the two "win" endings.

IMO Witcher 3 is more run of the mill in its implementation of choices than people gives it credit for but it is still one of the good choice/consequence games. I would rank it on par with Mass Effect 1 probably. It isn't an Alpha Protocol or a Detroit Become Human in that regard. It has fantastic world building and characterization and then a solid dialogue choice design. I wouldn't go further than that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There's a point on Skellige where you're talking to Yennefer and you choose between asking what she knows or give her a complement that she looks nice. If you pick the first option she inserts a response before getting to the same dialogue that "why did you not notice my hairdo" or something, and I was like "Ha! I see what you did there..."

IMO Witcher 3 is more run of the mill in its implementation of choices than people gives it credit for but it is still one of the good choice/consequence games. I would rank it on par with Mass Effect 1 probably. It isn't an Alpha Protocol or a Detroit Become Human in that regard. It has fantastic world building and characterization and then a solid dialogue choice design. I wouldn't go further than that.
Eh yeah thats true I guess there is a little bit more of that now that I think about it, but its not nearly as prevalent as other games out there. But there are definitely games that do it better.

Yeah Roach sucks anyway so you're better off just running everywhere.
2kkbhh.jpg

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

How are the controls?

I still believe Shin'En take the crown on pushing Switch to its limits as far as blending high resolutions, high framerates, and fantastic visuals at the same time - with little compromise is concerned.

But Saber may take the crown when it comes to optimising a game not designed for the chipset and putting it on the chipset. With Panic Button coming second in this category.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but this isn't the place to be chastizing the Switch version and telling people to get other versions instead, in case you haven't seen the thread title. Unless you were doing it on purpose for just drive-by postings.

I still believe Shin'En take the crown on pushing Switch to its limits as far as blending high resolutions, high framerates, and fantastic visuals at the same time - with little compromise is concerned.

But Saber may take the crown when it comes to optimising a game not designed for the chipset and putting it on the chipset. With Panic Button coming second in this category.
Hmm, fair enough. I guess Shin'En and Factor 5 can really design their engines from the ground up, but in terms of porting code, Saber has done a monumental work by retaining most of the Witcher 3 with reasonable, if not very little compromises (in comparison to what people might've thought initially).

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yay! My copy arrived (and Overwatch as well which I can't refund so that's something). Now to wait for this painfully slow download to finish and I'll be playing.

Honestly I still can't believe that a game I played on a £1000+ PC at launch is nearly playable on a device smaller than the very box it comes in. It's crazy.

ahbs22

Sep 20, 2019
Sorry, but this isn't the place to be chastizing the Switch version and telling people to get other versions instead, in case you haven't seen the thread title. Unless you were doing it on purpose for just drive-by postings.

Hmm, fair enough. I guess Shin'En and Factor 5 can really design their engines from the ground up, but in terms of porting code, Saber has done a monumental work by retaining most of the Witcher 3 with reasonable, if not very little compromises (in comparison to what people might've thought initially).
i'm sorry

Feb 15, 2018
So if you start the game and pick the option to play one of the expansions from the off (already completed base game on ps4), could i still dabble in and out of the base game content and story (i assume in an over-leveled state), or is it locked out to me?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting to unlock my digital download. Any recommended builds for a first timer going thru the witcher universe?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the tips Coyote Starrk and EatChildren

I will especially keep the exploring in mind as I tend do go where the game wants me to go way too soon in other games.
A good method that i used on my second playthrough was to just look at the map and then look for buildings and such on the map that were in the middle of nowhere because they show up on the map, but might not have any icons on them.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Repeating myself to see if anyone also notices it:

Motion Blur doesnt seem to be working

Have anyone tried to disable and enable it?

I really cant notice it. And motion blur on The Witcher 3 was always very noticeable

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

Completely agree, Saber have done a fantastic job. I just wish Capcom would observe other companies and look into asking a company like Saber to port their RE Engine games over. I am not sure if it's company politics that's preventing them like they don't trust another developer with their engine or money. Or if their Switch strategy is just to drip feed games and we'll get ports later down the line.{shrugs}

Plum

May 31, 2018
Repeating myself to see if anyone also notices it:

Motion Blur doesnt seem to be working

Have anyone tried to disable and enable it?

I really cant notice it. And motion blur on The Witcher 3 was always very noticeble

Yeah, it's definitely a bug or glitch that's making it not working. The Gameplay Overview video had it quite obviously and that would have been before the game went gold:

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I would get this if it wasn't so close to Pokemon release, I'd be nowhere near done by then and it'll get totally sidelined.

Switch performance analysis by VGtech
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Switch performance analysis:

The version tested was 1.62 on PS4 and 3.4 on Switch. The Switch footage here is from docked mode. The Switch version was played from the game card. Blur and Motion Blur were enabled for both versions.

Switch in docked mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being 960x540 and the highest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts in docked mode are often below 1280x720.

Switch in portable mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being 832x468 and the highest resolution found being 960x540. Switch in portable mode seems to turn anti-aliasing on and off dynamically based on load.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Per object motion blur was only introduced in blood and wine . The normal motion blur was only noticable in interiors , like when you meet the king after White Orchard.
You can barely tell theres motion blur even when playing on PC , the main game that is

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Most effective choices revolve around whether you want to go somewhere or not do it (like Imlerith with Ciri or the Emperor). Those lead to significant but also relatively minor sequences.

I will also say I felt the causality around the ending with a certain someone feels arbitrary based on a set of parameters. The game makes a case for how some things you said earlier to the character made them win or lose and that is too unclear to be satisfying and ultimately frustrating if one gets the bad ending, which is depressing as hell (thankfully I got Witcher ending) but I do like how the epilogue wraps up their story in the two "win" endings.

It's way harder to have many and really impactfull choices and consenquences in a open world game, than it is in a more linear games (which AP and DBH are).. Witcher 3 does it better than most other modern RPGs (save for example Fallout New Vegas).. I mean, Witcher 2 and even Witcher 1 had way more and more interesting choices and consenqunces than TW3, but they were more linear RPG games

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's way harder to have many and really impactfull choices and consenquences in a open world game, than it is in a more linear games (which AP and DBH are).. Witcher 3 does it better than most other modern RPGs (save for example Fallout New Vegas).. I mean, Witcher 2 and even Witcher 1 had way more and more interesting choices and consenqunces than TW3, but they were more linear RPG games
Exactly. That's why I like to say that Witcher 3's accomplishment is wanting to do Skyrim but with Mass Effect 1's style of side content, which was very focused and of equal production as the main campaign, and that's what it succeeds at.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Did 8 hours of this yesterday, and got to Velen. I only intended to play a short amount, but got fully immersed. It's a superb port and is very playable. Performance is generally very smooth with dips so far being noticeable because they are rare. Though I've not been to Novigrad yet.

Basically, it really is Witcher 3 on a handheld, and that's kind of amazing.